• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutFox

Banned
Icy said:
Hello All! :)

Here are the 2 Official NeoGAF TF2 Servers. One for the US and one for the EU peeps. These are both new IP addresses. I'll explain at the bottom of this post.

The original US server put up was on the Windows server code. Performance sucked. I had them move us to a Linux server once it was available. People were noticing "jitter" issues. I kept playing with the config and moving it from multiple boxes. Same issue. From talking to other Source Ded. Server hosters, we determined it must be the data center. So I moved it from the NYC/NJ Data center to one in Saint Louis, MO. Played with the config some and no "jitter" issues that i have seem. People on the west coast get better pings now.

I got a EU server put up in London, then i found out it was the windows server. I had them switch it to Linux and setup both boxes with the exact same config. Both running solid and smooth. If there's any issues or questions, or suggestions.. don't hesitate to msg me on steam or on neogaf =)

Thanks dude, I'll probably play later today. (NA Server)

Defcon

Banned
Gravelpit and Train are my favorites. The CP maps are very dynamic and feel fresh every time I play them. I'm getting tired of 2Fort already.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Class limits would be ideal. There's nothing more annoying than a basement with 5 sentries creating a stalemate or being spammed by 5 scouts or - my recent "favorite" -clusters of medic-backed demos raining down death upon your respawn.

Icy said:
I had them switch it to Linux and setup both boxes with the exact same config. Both running solid and smooth. If there's any issues or questions, or suggestions.. don't hesitate to msg me on steam or on neogaf =)

Awesome thanks! What is the map rotation? And any chance of lowering the spawn time to 5 secs?

cheers for the avatars Rlan. I've taken the one of my most played class, by far.

thanks for the servers too icy. Will try and get on it as much as possible (UK one).

saelz8

MutFox said:
Are sticky bombs permanent, is there a way to blow them up?
Never tried myself.
No, you can only remove them by shooting them with a rocket, or by using sticky bombs. They don't dissapear or blowup, they just scatter a bit. It works well if someone has entrance hinges stickied and is waiting for you to walk through. It fucks up their plan.

Dave Long

Banned
MutFox said:
Never tried myself.
You can knock them around, but they don't seem to explode even if you set off a grenade or rocket near them. They will just get dislodged and roll around.

MutFox said:
Never tried myself.

It just displaces them when you shoot them. I dont think you can blow them up.

I dare say the regular demo grenade gun is a little over-powered. Is it my imagination or is one direct hit = instant death?

Icy

Banned
There's some people on the Source DS mailing lists, asking for some changes. Right now class limits, repsawn timers, etc are not touchable. Also no matter what map rotation or map you remove from the rotation.. it always goes the same rotation and same maps. Ignores it completely.

All server side mods are broke with the new server code. Its basically Source 2.0, or 2.5 as you would call it. So once more of the tracking and admin mods come out.. I'll be able to assign admins.

As for weekday organized play, I was thinking of

a schedule of

Monday / Wednesday / Friday @ 10pm
Tuesday / Thursday @ 9pm

saelz8

140.85 said:
I dare say the regular demo grenade gun is a little over-powered. Is it my imagination or is one direct hit = instant death?
I believe it's 2 direct hits when your target is at full health.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
140.85 said:
Depends on the class. Scouts most definitely. Soldiers I think take two hits. A Heavy... not sure.

firex

scout/spy/medic/sniper all die in one direct hit from the grenade launcher. I think pyro does too, but I may have bumped into a second one in addition to the direct hit.

but yeah, I feel like demoman is OP but there's no real way to nerf him without making him absolutely suck.

Playing as soldier last night I came out of respawn and one hit me for instant death...
Nearly tore my hair out.

Icy

Banned
Yeah I'm EST so Guess we'll start at that time and go all night long. =)

I do not have a password on them right now. When the "event" time comes, I'll restart them and add the "neogaf2k7" password to them. To get the fucktards out.

nataku

I work swing shift (3:00 - 11:30 PM Central) every weekday so I'll join after work sometimes if you guys are still going.

EDIT: Name on steam is zerohaste.

Dave Long

Banned
140.85 said:
Playing as soldier last night I came out of respawn and one hit me for instant death...
Nearly tore my hair out.
Yeah, but that's not the Demoman's fault. Blame your shitty team for letting one stand right outside the respawn uncontested.

Demoman is in the DEFENSE tree. He doesn't get a ton of health (175) (less than a Soldier (200) IIRC) so he's fairly fragile. The character type is designed to make a lot of noise and hold an area. It just so happens that some folks are pretty handy with making longer range shots on an arc and/or setting good sticky bomb traps. You've always got that time when he has to reload where he's vulnerable, and that's after the fourth shot for those of you who don't know the loadouts.

I like him because I love lobbing shots on an arc and bouncing things off the walls. I have done this since Quake. I was finding the Soldier's rockets too slow to be accurate at range so I switched to Demo for damage dealing and I've been having a blast. Last night I took out about five guys in Sudden Death on the GAF server with well placed shots and a nice trap. If those guys had simply stayed back and made us come to them, it probably would've been a different story.

firex

gravelpit is the only map I've played where demo can be really OP on defense, and it's just the spawn camping they can do.

And I've totally resigned myself to never being a good spy. I just suck at it too much. The best I ever did was sneaking through, disguising as engineer, and sapping like 5 buildings this team had build right outside the spawn. I absolutely suck at backstabs.

Still can't get into any servers whatsoever, ever.

Freezes on 'Sending client info...' for 10+ minutes before booting me back to the server list, or gets into the game for about two seconds and then freezes before booting me back to the server list.

Every single time.

Doytch

Icy said:
There's some people on the Source DS mailing lists, asking for some changes. Right now class limits, repsawn timers, etc are not touchable. Also no matter what map rotation or map you remove from the rotation.. it always goes the same rotation and same maps. Ignores it completely.

I'd be willing to bet some of that is because it's a beta. I think they're trying to get people playing all the maps so they get a good idea if they need to tweak some things.

saelz8

The first custom TF2 map

cp_lazytown

sfz61f.jpg

rvhv5y.jpg

flv6s8

zof02q.gif

otm9ag.png

t7bmfo.jpg

s24qko.jpg

Download

We gotta play it tonight. I'll let Icy know ASAP if he doesn't see this post until tonight. Hopefully we can get it onto the server cue and have some fun.

Doytch

Those trees are really ugly. Maybe they look better in game, but damn. :lol

And does it have anything to do with the TV show?

Cheeto

Quellex said:
The first custom TF2 map

cp_lazytown

Download

We gotta play it tonight. I'll let Icy know ASAP if he doesn't see this post until tonight. Hopefully we can get it onto the server cue and have some fun.
Awesome. How did he do it?? There hasn't been an SDK released has there?

Daigoro

this game is awesome! i had fun playing last night with you guys.

thanks for the server change Icy. too bad i was getting INSANE ping on the NY server, but im sure the trade off will be worth it. the jittering was a bit nasty.

firex said:
And I've totally resigned myself to never being a good spy. I just suck at it too much. The best I ever did was sneaking through, disguising as engineer, and sapping like 5 buildings this team had build right outside the spawn. I absolutely suck at backstabs.

i suck as a spy too and i hate getting backstabbed.

i did see several of the funniest backstab kills last night though.

one was when only area C was left to attack defend on Gravelpit. i was running towards the tower and all of a sudden two screaming bodies come flying off of the top deck towards me. it looked and sounded hilarous. :lol wish i had a video.

the next was when i was going as medic healing a Heavy. i got back stabbed and then caught the perfect pic of the guy who gutted me going after my heavy with his knife out (right behind him, he got the kill too. who was that again? :lol ). i need to upload that pic when i get home tonight.

PeteJ said:
I'm getting a little bit frustrated with 2Fort though, I prefer this design over the TFC one but it doesn't suit the class rebalances so well. I'm really struggling with it, partly because the defence sits so far forward in the base which means you often tangle with the opposing offensive players along the bridge and doorways. Also, of course, with 24 players the map is easier to lockdown than before.

im less than impressed with 2fort as well. sentry guns just rip me to shreds if i can even make it over to the enemy base. its needs really good teamwork to get anything going, but its so chaotic. those games seem to last forever... i prefer the other maps to it so far.

and i allready tried out lazytown briefly last night. its a very simple map. i cant tell if its going to be any fun yet. we'll see soon hopefully.

Kweh

Is the Spy's revolver really accurate or something, I was standing (as Pyro) on the stairwell, and a Spy was other end in the underground water sewage bit and he 1 shot killed me from afar with his revolver :lol

BLU-82

Good news for people getting Orange box retail:

VALVE AND GAMESTOP ANNOUNCE PRE-PURCHASE PROGRAM FOR THE ORANGE BOX

Pre-Purchase The Orange Box for Special Price and Join the Team
Fortress 2 Beta Now

September 24, 2007 - Valve and GameStop today announced that those who
pre-purchase the PC edition of The Orange Box at GameStop, the world's
largest video game and entertainment software retailer, before October
10th will save 10% off the regular price and gain access to the beta
version of Team Fortress 2 for the PC.

1-D_FTW

Tried popping onto the EU server (in US - 125 ping), but it was a mess trying to play. Are EU peeps getting a good experience on Icy's server? Maybe TF2 just handles latency worse than most games. I try to play on servers with 50 or less, but I've played with 125 pings that were a TON smoother than that.

Quellex said:
I think TF2 updated again. No changelog though.

Yeah. I had to download a TF2 update before logging in. And while Icy's server had 19 playing when I launched, it was down to 7 players when I finally joined. Maybe that's not a coincidence.

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I HATE FUCKING SPIES WITH A FUCKING PASSION AS A MEDIC I SHOOT YOU MOHTEZRUFCKERS AND DO I SEE A HIT NO THEN YOU STAB ME AND LOL WILL SEE WHO LOLN WHEN I FUCK UR MOM IN THE !*&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*cough*

with that out of the way gg Zanboo.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
ZombieSupaStar said:
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I HATE FUCKING SPIES WITH A FUCKING PASSION AS A MEDIC I SHOOT YOU MOHTEZRUFCKERS AND DO I SEE A HIT NO THEN YOU STAB ME AND LOL WILL SEE WHO LOLN WHEN I FUCK UR MOM IN THE !*&!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*cough*

with that out of the way gg Zanboo.

ggs... two achievements until i have em all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom