• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlxRymnd914 said:
Has anyone heard of a problem where this game crashes after 10min of getting into any game? This is my problem...and its not specific to a certain button i press or character class or audio...I don't know. Its making this great game unplayable for me.

And my specs are good enough to run it.

Mobility Radeon x1600 256mb
2gb of Ram
2.0ghz Intel Core Duo

I dont know what the deal is.

If you've made sure drivers etc aren't an issue, it may be thermal/heat related. Run through 3dmark or something, and check your temps.

Defcon

Banned
I actually have a problem with Nvidia sentinel telling me my video card is underpowered while playing TF2. It doesn't always happen, but it's annoying when it does since the game isn't alt tab friendly (have to shut down the game from task manager.) No idea what the problem is.

I have a 350w unit and a 5900XT card. *boggle*

Ferrio

Banned
Jenga said:
Uh, and that wouldn't really change with a knock-back nerf. It will still rape scouts. It's silly when you can't uber because a lone sentry keeps PUSHING you back.

I see nothing wrong with it. It's a pain, but it should be you know? Even if you can't get very far because of pushback, you're distracting a damn turrent for a good 10 seconds. If you're team doesn't destroy it by then, well you tried to go in rambo or your team sucks.

1-D_FTW

Ferrio said:
I see nothing wrong with it. It's a pain, but it should be you know? Even if you can't get very far because of pushback, you're distracting a damn turrent for a good 10 seconds. If you're team doesn't destroy it by then, well you tried to go in rambo or your team sucks.

I agree. And as someone who enjoys engineer, do you know how hard it is to build a class three turret against a good team. Very difficult. Usually got spies bum rushing the place and either sabotaging your junk or knifing you in the back.

It's why I've quit building a dispenser first. Because by the time I usually build that and start constructing the turret, I've got a knife sticking in my back before it's completed (stage 1.)

There should be some reward for getting these things build in relevant places.

1-D_FTW said:
I agree. And as someone who enjoys engineer, do you know how hard it is to build a class three turret against a good team. Very difficult. Usually got spies bum rushing the place and either sabotaging your junk or knifing you in the back.

It's why I've quit building a dispenser first. Because by the time I usually build that and start constructing the turret, I've got a knife sticking in my back before it's completed (stage 1.)

There should be some reward for getting these things build in relevant places.

Indeed, and good spies will zap your turret and run if you turn your attention to them, they can zap your sentry at least 2-3 times before finally dying. If you dont turn your attention to them, they just backstab you. But that might just be because of my teamates... no one seems to consistently check for spies-- and its not worth chasing after them and losing a lv 3 sentry in the process.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I only switch to engineer when the enemies are advancing heavily on offense and there's like only 1 point to conquer, i know i should also take engineer on offense and advance but eh.

Last night's games were sweet.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Some more complaints:

1. Respawn time. Yes, I'm going to complain every day until it is gone.
2. Demo's grenades need to be upped in ammo from 4.
3. When you're dead, chat should not be limited to just other dead players.
4. Team autobalance sucks. Needs to be gone or at least fixed. We can handle this by ourselves, Valve.
5. A draw after Sudden death? Yeah, that makes no sense.

Ferrio

Banned
ggnoobIGN said:
Some more complaints:

I'd hate the day it is.

4. Team autobalance sucks. Needs to be gone or at least fixed. We can handle this by ourselves, Valve.

Pretty sure it's a server option.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
ggnoobIGN said:
Some more complaints:

2. Demo's grenades need to be upped in ammo from 4.

1- somewhat agree, sometimes its like 7 secs, sometimes its 20+, wtf decides the respawn time?
2- naw, demo's already fucking nuts as it is
3- i dont agree, dead players who can view every other team mates' point of view and even see where they cant see is info that shouldnt be given to those who are alive.
4- automatic switch that can be enabled/disabled and manually managed, i agree

ggnoobIGN said:
Some more complaints:

I would agree is a bit high but it's needed.
ggnoobIGN said:
No can do, otherwise people would keep telling their teammates were and who spys were.
ggnoobIGN said:
Well from what I could gather if no team can achieve the map's objectives after a certain ammount of rounds then we have sudden death and since it's timed it can end without a winner so yeah a draw kinda makes sense.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Also, i think when FF will be enabled, it will make demoman's life real hard and spy's life a lot easier, im looking forward to that, will be a lot more strategic.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
While it doesn't matter that much I suppose, I much prefer TFCs method of sniping.
In TFC, you click and hold down to charge up the shot and then release to shoot.

Also, it's far too easy to get headshots now. There are times when I know I shouldn't be getting a headshot and I do.

firex

I played on a FF server... actually the game should really distinguish more easily between normal and FF servers. If you don't know it's a FF server then holy shit the game is chaotic.

1-D_FTW

Did Icydeath switch the server back to Windows?

I know his server crashed yesterday evening and was down for a while. I quit playing before it went back up.

Just logged onto now, cause there was one person in it (gone now) and hoping to get something started, but it seemed really jittery. I was getting massive tearing that I've not experienced before.

Guess I'll go back to watching the shitty ass Dolphins playing. But after year after year of ineptitude, I've turned very bitter this season. Jesus Christ, buy a vowel somebody!

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Prime crotch said:
I would agree is a bit high but it's needed.

No can do, otherwise people would keep telling their teammates were and who spys were.

Well from what I could gather if no team can achieve the map's objectives after a certain ammount of rounds then we have sudden death and since it's timed it can end without a winner so yeah a draw kinda makes sense.
1. In a fast paced game like TF2, respawn times do a lot more to hinder the gameplay rather than help it. Look no further than TFC. The game would be unplayable with respawn times(I swear to god, the first person who says I want TFC with new paint gets punched in the face).

2. I realize Valve's intentions were good on this but I just don't like it. Again the speed of the game comes into play. The only time you have to talk is when you are dead, otherwise you are constantly on the move(or at least should be). I really don't think the 15 seconds or whatever you have to check around an entire map for something(BTW, opposing spies should still be disguised when dead i they aren't already) is going to play a major role in a game. And either way, you can still tell them when you come back alive.

3. Then don't cal it sudden death or take the time limit off. I'm pretty sure there is no objectives during SD other than kill the entire opposing team. Something like this shouldn't be timed, and it's a good idea if they just let it play out.

Buggy Loop said:
Also, i think when FF will be enabled, it will make demoman's life real hard and spy's life a lot easier, im looking forward to that, will be a lot more strategic.
FF probably won't be enabled. It'll eventually be a server option but I guarantee next to none actually use it.

firex

TF2 respawns are done in waves. they just need to fine tune it. maps are too small not to have some respawn time, but they should speed it up 1) with less time left in the map and 2) with more people capturing a point. I'm not really sure how they could handle it on CTF maps.

I definitely agree that respawns take too long, but they can't just eliminate them. I'd cap the timer at 15 seconds early in a map (first minute) and 10 seconds for the majority, then cut it down to 5 in the last minute. Then cut off 1/2 second per person at a capture point or something like that.

ggnoobIGN said:
1. In a fast paced game like TF2, respawn times do a lot more to hinder the gameplay rather than help it. Look no further than TFC. The game would be unplayable with respawn times(I swear to god, the first person who says I want TFC with new paint gets punched in the face).

2. I realize Valve's intentions were good on this but I just don't like it. Again the speed of the game comes into play. The only time you have to talk is when you are dead, otherwise you are constantly on the move(or at least should be). I really don't think the 15 seconds or whatever you have to check around an entire map for something(BTW, opposing spies should still be disguised when dead i they aren't already) is going to play a major role in a game. And either way, you can still tell them when you come back alive.

3. Then don't cal it sudden death or take the time limit off. I'm pretty sure there is no objectives during SD other than kill the entire opposing team. Something like this shouldn't be timed, and it's a good idea if they just let it play out.

FF probably won't be enabled. It'll eventually be a server option but I guarantee next to none actually use it.

1. I dunno, for example during the mode where you have to go inside their base to get the intelegence if there was no respawn it would be almost impossible to get out of it without having them coming out of the barracks.

2. It's pretty easy to check the other team's spy if I'm not mistaken you go into spectator mode when dead not to mention you could simply tell your friends where the spy was when he killed you. And the Spy is only one example.

3. I don't know why the time limit is there but I can guess it's to avoid the matches to prolong too long, usually during sudden death the engineers just hole up in a corner and mount turrets while everyone's outside. Or maybe it's because server rotation, I don't know I'm more bothered by the fact people just play safe during sudden death instead of going all out.

1-D_FTW

ggnoobIGN said:

I was playing in a game yesterday evening with a GAFer and got kicked to the other team after about 30 minutes for AUTO-BALANCE. Needless to say, I immediately quit the server.

Nothing like fighting for a bunch of progress, getting it, having opposing members quit because of it, and then getting kicked to the other team and be told to start trying to gain back the ground you've just fought to win. No, thanks.

Daigoro

1-D_FTW said:
Did Icydeath switch the server back to Windows?

I know his server crashed yesterday evening and was down for a while. I quit playing before it went back up.

Just logged onto now, cause there was one person in it (gone now) and hoping to get something started, but it seemed really jittery. I was getting massive tearing that I've not experienced before.

yup that was me. it is very jittery. i went and tried a different server and it was much better.

blackadde

auto balance is broken for sure. i was playing on the seattle/ducksoup server with a group of people and after absolutely wasting the blu team in under 15 seconds a round (5 scounts + an engineer), repeatedly, only one of us got booted to the other team. either fix it or take it out completely.

Falch

God I love this game. A heavy plus medic is an incredible combination:

heavyrulez.JPG

theultimo

AlxRymnd914 said:
Has anyone heard of a problem where this game crashes after 10min of getting into any game? This is my problem...and its not specific to a certain button i press or character class or audio...I don't know. Its making this great game unplayable for me.

And my specs are good enough to run it.

Mobility Radeon x1600 256mb
2gb of Ram
2.0ghz Intel Core Duo

I dont know what the deal is.
Radeon bug, it WILL crash if Anti Aliasing is enabled. disable it.

Victrix

*beard*
Best Sudden Death strategy I've seen so far

Sit in the spawn room until the timer runs out

DEAR VALVE: SD SUCKS, PLEASE FIX, LOVE, YOUR FANS

FF is dumb.
Respawn timers are a necessity for 2fort.
A draw after sudden death makes sense unless you want everyone to hole up with engineers more than they already do.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jenga said:
What should be buffed:
Pyro's Flamethrower range just slightly.
Nah, just change the damage curve. When you hit somebody while touching the end of the flamethrower, it should be lethal. Have it drop off rapidly going farther away. Pyros should be king at absolute close range, and the appropriate response for anyone else is to back off.

Falch

ggnoobIGN said:
Where do you get the screenies that you take from?

1) Take screenshots during game with F5
2) Find your screenshots, should be in Valve/Steam/SteamApps/*Username*/Team Fortress 2/tf/screenshots
3) Find a TGA - JPG converter

1-D_FTW

I hate auto-balance, but you know what's bad about auto-balance being off? You're almost always certain to spawn onto moronic teams. Anyone with a clue quits in frustration and leaves the openings on the losing team.

*VENT* Just joined a server. Can't remember the name, but it's the Pryo's most effective map. Two Pryo's on the team. But they must have been hiding in a corner, cause I sure didn't see them anywhere.

Anyways, I respawn in as a Pyro cause the map needs one, light up the two guys camping are final control point. Die. But it's cleaned up. This control point is now 3/4 blue and vacated. 5 teammates come running in. Yes, 5 guys are running around the perimeter of the capture point. Nobody enters the circle to turn it back red. Just circle-jerk around it. I slowly watch them leave one by one until I respawn. I re-enter and it's still 3/4 blue cause no a one decided to capture it back down. I'm then confronted by a new wave. Light them on a fire in a final defense and it's captured. *SLAPS head* Called them a bunch of fucking morons and left the game.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
TFC, you'll always be first in my heart. Still can't put it down:

dustbowl0005.jpg

dustbowl0007.jpg

dustbowl0002.jpg

dustbowl0001.jpg

Which reminds me, Valve needs to add deaths to the main scoreboard for tf2.

Hitokage said:
Nah, just change the damage curve. When you hit somebody while touching the end of the flamethrower, it should be lethal. Have it drop off rapidly going farther away. Pyros should be king at absolute close range, and the appropriate response for anyone else is to back off.
1v1 an engineer beat me with his wrench when i was pyro. We were facing eachother

"1v1 an engineer beat me with his wrench when i was pyro. We were facing eachother"

I wish I faced the pyros like you. The first shot they get in me takes me down the half health, and assuming I can kill them/get away, I have to make a mad dash for a health pack before the dot finishes me off.

pxleyes

Banned
wartime1020 said:
Yeah, I agree, deaths shouldn't be shown, people should brag about how many points they have accumulated, not their K: D ratio.
It is what makes this game so much more fun. You aren't constantly tabbing to see if your ratio is ok.

Defcon

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out the use of the Pyro myself. Most people don't stand still and let you continually burn them, so at best, you light a few guys on fire with your initial charge. You can switch to shotgun and try to take out one or two, but usually you are already dead by the time you switch weapons.

As you stare at the respawn screen, you pray that a kill message pops up in the right hand corner from your setting people on fire. Most of the time, no luck.

The dot is weak as hell. You can usually find a health pack in time to negate it or any competent medic will charge you back up in no time. The radius AND DoT damage of the flamethrower needs to be boosted. As it stands, the Pyro is good for scanning for spies and that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom