• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Yasae said:
Alright that's too many shots at 120 or over for me to chalk everything up to lag. I was getting hit for fucking 130 from one shot from a fucking FAN. Give me a fucking break.

Either my game's skipping whole animations or there are some cheats around. I've only kept my eye on three or four people since I started playing last year, but they keep coming up with nutso crazy damage numbers all the time. It ain't skill and it ain't lag, dadgummit.

Thankfully they aren't anyone on NeoGAF.
Really stupid question -- you're sure the 130 wasn't from the two FAN shots together, right? They fire pretty quickly.

PillowKnight said:
I was referring to the last two, epically failed tourneys. I'll def be on at 10pm saturday.
NeoGAF? I'm sorry but I don't know what ones you're referring to. Do you mean back when there was a different NeoGAF server? :lol

Also I thought Java said 8 p.m. EST...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yasae said:
That's a LOT of fucking mini crits for it to be missing.

I know better than that. There are a (very low number) of cheats around. Their damage output is beyond comprehension. There's good and then there's impossible - it's not a small difference, it's glaring. There have also been obvious cheats on VAC-secured servers, usually speed hacks, so it's not like the system is fool proof.

EDIT: I've played against Boonoo as a scout, and he's very good. Never once has he pulled off crazy numbers. Is that merely a coincidence? Is it odd that he doesn't hit beyond what it normally possible?

No. He just doesn't cheat.

ONE guy or just several scouts? I figure if something THAT blatant was going on, one of us would catch it, admin abuse him for lulz, then ban him.

Sigh...blizzard, I think he's referring to the other tourneys that some of you had gotten organized for that were supposed to give out medals for participating. NOT A GAF SERVER THING. Was it a Highlander thing????? :S Twiggy was all enthusiastic about it, and I wondered what had happened since nobody said anything about it nor showed off the medals, so I assumed plans fell through.

edit: Can't make the event tonight. Going to catch a sneak preview of Knight and Day.

Blizzard

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
ONE guy or just several scouts? I figure if something THAT blatant was going on, one of us would catch it, admin abuse him for lulz, then ban him.

Sigh...blizzard, I think he's referring to the other tourneys that some of you had gotten organized for that were supposed to give out medals for participating. NOT A GAF SERVER THING. Was it a Highlander thing????? :S Twiggy was all enthusiastic about it, and I wondered what had happened since nobody said anything about it nor showed off the medals, so I assumed plans fell through.

edit: Can't make the event tonight. Going to catch a sneak preview of Knight and Day.
Oh okay, that makes sense. I guess the highlander one did fall through. That wasn't organized by Java though, and he'll make all the difference! :p

By the way, pillow, he definitely said 8: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21942622&postcount=18800

Twig

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:

No, he's talking about previous GAF tourneys that never happened.

You weren't around then.

The Euro tourney with the medals is another thing entirely. If I was really enthusiastic about it, I'd know more about it. I just assumed other people would be following it. U:

Javaman

Blizzard said:
Oh okay, that makes sense. I guess the highlander one did fall through. That wasn't organized by Java though, and he'll make all the difference! :p

By the way, pillow, he definitely said 8: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21942622&postcount=18800

Yeah, it was originally 10 but I switched it to 8 so more players could make it.
The way I figure we'll just make teams at 8 based on who is on the server, do a map change to refresh the timer and get started around 8:10 or so. Any team captain volunteers?
It'll be 10 man teams assuming we have enough players. The other four slots will be people spectating and recording demos. I'll password protect the server at 7:45 and post the password here.

Javaman

1. Javaman | Eng/Medic | Weekdays after 10PM, Weekend afternoon+
2. sw33tclyde | Soldier/Pyro | anytime
3. Twig | ? | anytime
4. Evilmario | Medic / Heavy | 7pm EST most weekdays and weekends
5. Toxic Punch | Soldier | anytime
6. fallengorn | Soldier | any night past 8pm, with (day or two) heads up
7. Blizzard | heavy/pyro | weekend, but not late Saturday night
8. Trouble | Soldier/Heavy | Weekdays after 10PM, Most weekend afternoons
9. ReRixo | Any class except pyro, sniper, and engineer | weekends
10. Boonoo | Scout/Soldier | Anytime
11. Schmattakopf | ? | ?
12. Cheeto | ? | ?
13. Dog Chasing Cars | Heavy | After 5PM
14. Kuro | ? | ?
15. Remy | Scout, Pyro, Heavy | 9PM-midnight EST most nights
16. MoTheHawk | Any class (but not Engy or Heavy, preferrably) | Noon CST onward
17. Squash@#$@# | ? | Weeknights
18. Chopperdave/medic-soldier/after 7pm EST
19. Nikolai | any | after 9pm Est

Blizzard said:
That wasn't organized by Java though, and he'll make all the difference! :p

Meh. I'm not into sports, nor do I have a bunch of extra time to spend on it. So probably not. :lol

Firestorm

I think a tournament is exactly what I need to get back into things.

Firestorm | Medic / Spy | Weekdays after 5:30 PM Pacific, Weekend afternoon+

Blizzard

Banned
rar said:
better voice quality and ui, and we have a server
Well, vert has a server, and he and nabs run it (i.e. I have been muted and deafened a time or two, and told to gtfo when I was on it in their room). So as long as they like you then that's fine to use I guess? :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It was a good time while it lasted. It's always a relief to play with smaller teams when I'm frequently on 32 player A/D and Arena.

Boonoo

Yeah, turned out pretty nicely. You guys really stepped up on badlands. I can't believe we couldn't get you when we had you pushed back to last.

A few things could make things a bit better.
-Class limits of some sort. (with 2 medics we just breezed through you guys on dustbowl because of it). I think the standard 2 of everything but medics and demos will work until will get past 9 people.
-Everyone in mumble. Vert has said we could use his server. It makes things so much nicer. Much better for setting up and better quality once we're in. Communications felt good on dustbowl since the map kinda funnels you together, but in blands things jumbled up.

I also think we should shy away from multi stage maps.
Gorge for A/D
Badwater for Payload
would work better than dustbowl/goldrush.

It was fun, though.

How'd you guys like playing with nocrit, no damage spread, even shotgun spread? Anyone notice any real difference? I find that with that stuff on thing are a lot more even; since it takes away all randomness you begin to be able to better predict how fights are going.

If we ever get nine on each side we should try a highlander (1 of each class). They're kinda fun.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Boonoo said:
How'd you guys like playing with nocrit, no damage spread, even shotgun spread? Anyone notice any real difference? I find that with that stuff on thing are a lot more even; since it takes away all randomness you begin to be able to better predict how fights are going.

I was pretty hesitant at first with that set-up, but after playing some comp matches, I MUCH prefer it than not. Makes planning my strategy and what to do a lot easier if I don't have to worry about a random crit blasting me to smithereens.

Sciz

Comp settings are great for competitive play, when there's actually sort of something on the line. I'd hate to have them on all the time, though. The game isn't quite the same when you cut out that element of chaos and unpredictability.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I swung by for a tiny bit today on friends account, hope I didn't disrupt too much.
Was tough playing on a laptop though. Think I was next to last.

Boonoo

Different strokes for different folks, and I can definitely see where you're coming from. But I think that there is enough player produced and controlled chaos and unpredictability that added random effects aren't needed. I tend to look at random crits like I do tripping in the new Smash Bros--just getting rid of tripping is a far cry from no item final destination 1v1s.

I will say, though, that there's something nice about popping someone with a lucky crit now and then. So I suppose you're right, there's a time and a place for them.

I think I'm just peeved at crits right now because the arena server I play has them turned on, and arena's something I don't want crits in.

(If I had my choice on general pub servers I'd like crits on, damage spread off, even shotgun spread on)

So I swung by for a tiny bit today on friends account, hope I didn't disrupt too much.
Was tough playing on a laptop though. Think I was next to last.

Were you ironsheep? You did good work; your mic was a bit fuzzy, though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, I just spammed as demo, tried to crouch jump around as soldier :lol, and that's about it.

Went Pyro 1 round on Dustbowl but we got rolled so hard. Demo spam really helped on 2nd point for Dustbowl, I really liked the time system too.

Hopefully we can do this again when I'm at home.

Boonoo

Yeah the stopwatch works especially well on something like gravel pit. It's nice in gorge, too. The trouble in Dustbowl is that it just has too many points.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Boonoo, the L4D crew is practicing for our Vert's Mumble Server Factions TF2 game. There were about 10 of us all on one team last night and we didn't do too bad :lol

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
Different strokes for different folks, and I can definitely see where you're coming from. But I think that there is enough player produced and controlled chaos and unpredictability that added random effects aren't needed. I tend to look at random crits like I do tripping in the new Smash Bros--just getting rid of tripping is a far cry from no item final destination 1v1s.
Tripping is absolutely stupid. It's something that randomly PUNISHES the player.

Crits are fine. They randomly REWARD the player. And they're influenced by how well you're playing.

Removing them for comp play is okay because those people are insane and if you don't appease them, they explode, but for every day, jump in and play, it's stupid.

can't believe this fucking crit discussion is happening again i thought we were done with this shit three months after the game launched

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Removing them for comp play is okay because those people are insane and if you don't appease them, they explode, but for every day, jump in and play, it's stupid.
Coincidentally, they also tend to explode if you hit them with a random crit-rocket.

firex

Twig said:
Tripping is absolutely stupid. It's something that randomly PUNISHES the player.

Crits are fine. They randomly REWARD the player. And they're influenced by how well you're playing.

can't believe this fucking crit discussion is happening again i thought we were done with this shit three months after the game launched
everybody knows crockets are such bs

Ultimatum

Banned
Random crits can be okay if you're playing with friends/a community, as it can be kind of funny I guess. But I don't know, it's just so frustrating knowing the reason you died had nothing to do with your own skill.

Considering it's objective based gameplay, it just seems crazy that they would implement crits. I suppose it makes it more entertaining for a lot of casual players, and that's obviously the reason they went for it, I just don't like it :/

Blizzard

Banned
firex said:
everybody knows crockets are such bs
Twig said:
bs all over your face
Even Valve admits it!
ludwigDEUSEXD.gif
2hd8zl4.png
ludwigDEUSEXD.gif

firex

I used to hate crits when the game first came out because it was like every time I got killed it was a crit rocket at point blank. But valve actually changed the crit system enough now that it's hardly annoying because crits only really happen when you're kicking ass.

I do wish you got a mini-crit boost for a few seconds when you dominate someone though.

Boonoo

Twig said:

Tripping randomly rewards the opposing player in the same way that crits randomly punish the opposing player. That they're based on how well you're playing has nothing to do with them randomly ruining another player who might also be playing well. There are enough means of achieving mini crits and non random proper crits that randoms aren't necessary for fun.

In game rewards for kill streaks are dumb regardless. Crits are just a smaller version of CoD bullshit.

Why is removing them for everyday play stupid? What do they actually add to the game that you like so much?

Boonoo

They're exactly the same, and you know it.

In one case one player is punished the other is rewarded.
In the other case one player is rewarded the other is punished.
The key factor is that in both cases they're random rewards/punishments.

Getting a random crit to the face is no different than tripping. In both cases had there not been some random modifier you could have lived to fight another day.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Tripping is the reason why I don't play Smash Bros. Brawl. What genius thought that was a good idea?

Sciz

SSB is a much smaller scale game than TF2. Matches are shorter, the number of participants is much smaller, and the win/loss conditions are directly affected by the presence of a random element.

It doesn't matter so much if someone gets instagibbed by pure chance in TF2, because that's what the rest of the team is there for. The mechanic exists to keep the game from getting too deterministic, to give players the occasional cool moment out of the blue, and in general to keep everyone from being quite so serious all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom