• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Mic is fucked up and only works part of the time. Yay for cheap logitech manufacturing. I probably won't be on as much till I get another one.

Twig

Banned
man now i wish i had friends to play brawl with like i did melee back in the day, but i'm just not around those people anymore (and the online is so terrible)

side note: it's kind of baffling how much customization that game allows, yet you can't turn off tripping

Yasae

Banned
Boonoo said:
Why is removing them for everyday play stupid? What do they actually add to the game that you like so much?
Good question. I guess they're the only trash kills you can get as a heavy, and only when they're at close range AND consecutive. That's why I find it confusing when people say that's a noob class because the damage output isn't all that great (demo, on the other hand...) You have to make your shots and close off your vectors.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of random crits for everyday play.

Inkwell

Banned
Javaman said:
Mic is fucked up and only works part of the time. Yay for cheap logitech manufacturing. I probably won't be on as much till I get another one.
I don't know about their mics, but I've gone through 2 of their headsets so far. They look identical to this headset. The one's I bought were half the price. After a few months of use, the wire wouldn't always make a good connection by the volume control. Also, the volume control itself got majorly screwed up on both pairs. When I would try to change the volume, it would randomly make the left or right speakers get really quiet, and I would have to find this single position for the volume to be equal in both speakers. I don't think I'll ever buy another logitech headset again.

Boonoo

Twig said:
man now i wish i had friends to play brawl with like i did melee back in the day, but i'm just not around those people anymore (and the online is so terrible)

side note: it's kind of baffling how much customization that game allows, yet you can't turn off tripping

Yeah, it really is bizarre. Not matter your opinion on crits in TF2; it's more than possible to find places to play that cater to your preferences; I've been really pleased with the level of customization.

Sciz said:
SSB is a much smaller scale game than TF2. Matches are shorter, the number of participants is much smaller, and the win/loss conditions are directly affected by the presence of a random element.

It doesn't matter so much if someone gets instagibbed by pure chance in TF2, because that's what the rest of the team is there for. The mechanic exists to keep the game from getting too deterministic, to give players the occasional cool moment out of the blue, and in general to keep everyone from being quite so serious all the time.

I think I'd disagree on this point (that any one random crit can't make a real difference) except for packed 32 man servers, and even then a crit rocket can clear 3 people off the last point or take out a medic before a key uber.

All that said, it's not as though random crits are going to keep me off pub servers. I just wouldn't miss them if they were gone.

Javaman said:

I've been using a version of this mic (mine plugs directly into the pink input instead of usb) for going on 5 years, and I've been pretty happy with it.

Javaman

Inkwell said:
I don't know about their mics, but I've gone through 2 of their headsets so far. They look identical to this headset. The one's I bought were half the price. After a few months of use, the wire wouldn't always make a good connection by the volume control. Also, the volume control itself got majorly screwed up on both pairs. When I would try to change the volume, it would randomly make the left or right speakers get really quiet, and I would have to find this single position for the volume to be equal in both speakers. I don't think I'll ever buy another logitech headset again.

I've got a different/cheaper model, but that is exactly what's happening with mine. The wire where it goes from the mute button/volume fob to the headset causes hisses and crackles.

Sciz

I use a Logitech USB mic. No problems to date, and none of the finicky integrated hardware that always goes bad in headsets.

Boonoo said:
I think I'd disagree on this point (that any one random crit can't make a real difference) except for packed 32 man servers, and even then a crit rocket can clear 3 people off the last point or take out a medic before a key uber.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that the majority of the time it isn't a game changer.

Yasae

Banned
Javaman said:
I've got a different/cheaper model, but that is exactly what's happening with mine. The wire where it goes from the mute button/volume fob to the headset causes hisses and crackles.
Stress tearing. Happens all the time with thin bundles of copper wires at key joints.

I remember having to strip shields off XLR cables very carefully; even a few tiny threads of wire near the contact would destroy audio integrity. If any wires are shredding inside... That would cause a lot of noise. It could also be in combination with dirt or other bad contacts trapped in the volume control.

There's a good chance it's wires breaking (it only takes one tiny thread) or maybe the solder joints pulling apart (unlikely.) They should put out headsets with a detachable 1/8" cable. The headphones and mic themselves would require a pretty strong blow to get a short; the cables need very little stress on the other hand. I've had this happen with a pair of hundred dollar k240s. Their replacement cables are a whopping $20 a piece, but it solved the problem.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Criticals being out of competitive, I understand.

But they don't really compare to tripping. A lucky critical hit is a fun element in the game that a player can enjoy.

No one enjoys tripping in Brawl, even if you're not the one tripping. It just sucks.

Javaman

Yeah, I'm a fan of random crits, even on the receiving side. I can't count the number of close ass calls I've had where crockets hissed past my head or landed just far enough to not kill me when jumping, but close enough to launch me all the way to the top of the sky box. It makes the whole thing a lot more exciting.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Well, if you're shopping around for a new one. I'd recommend the Sennheiser PC151. Still using mine. Had it since TF2 came out.

Sibylus

Banned
Javaman said:
Yeah, I'm a fan of random crits, even on the receiving side. I can't count the number of close ass calls I've had where crockets hissed past my head or landed just far enough to not kill me when jumping, but close enough to launch me all the way to the top of the sky box. It makes the whole thing a lot more exciting.
This. Makes the game a little more fun and chaotic.

rar

its a double-edged sword

it can be fun to dodge a crit rocket or fire one at an opportune moment, but it can also ruin what mightve been a really awesome moment or amazing run by a player

its like if im playing soccer with friends and i manage to dribble around everyone like maradona and then beat the keeper, but the goalie suddenly teleports from one post to another for no reason, just to make it 'more fun'

personally i just think its really lazy game development. there are cleverer ways to add chaos and excitement to a game than letting someone do a ridiculous amount of damage at a random interval

firex

lately I never feel like crits are pure luck anyway. They always come after I've just done a bunch of damage and killed someone, or with a kritz uber, or someone capped the intel etc.

big difference from when the game first came out and crits felt like they just came at random and far more frequently if you were playing demo/soldier than anyone else.

Boonoo

MrPing1000 said:
crits aren't entirely random.

They are a core part of the game, part of the game is balanced around them.

They help break stalemates.

They are to an extent. At most you can increase the random chance that they'll happen. In the end its still an element of randomness.

Standard weapons have a 2% base chance to Crit, while melee weapons have a 15% chance.[1] An additional bonus percentage is added based on the total damage done by the player in the last 20 seconds, which scales from 0% at 0 damage to 10% at 800 damage.[1] For example: dealing 200 damage in the past 20 seconds, the additional bonus percentage is 2.5%.

Critical hit chance based on damage
Among those weapons that trigger randomly, Critical hit chance is rolled differently based on the type of weapon. Single-shot weapons, which, for example, include Shotguns, the Revolver, and the Rocket launcher, roll the chance to Crit with every shot. Thus, every shot of the Shotgun will have a 2% chance to launch a flurry of Critical pellets, assuming no previous damage done. Rapid-fire weapons, however, which include the Minigun, Syringe gun, and Flamethrower, check for Critical hits once a second. With weapons like these, a successful Crit roll results in all shots for the next two seconds being Critical.

What sort of stalemates are these that you like having a random factor decide the outcome?

Javaman

Boonoo said:
Oh! Here's a nice thread Vert has posted about Mumble. I'd highly recommend getting it set up; it would be great to use it if we have another gaf showdown. Things would go a lot smoother.

I'm all for doing some of the background administration, but we'll need someone else to organize it. Too much IRL stuff pops up for me to be active in it before 10pm

rar

Javaman said:
I'm all for doing some of the background administration, but we'll need someone else to organize it. Too much IRL stuff pops up for me to be active in it before 10pm

me and boonoo can do it

Blizzard

Banned
rar said:
me and boonoo can do it
IT'S A TRAP

If you listen to them, Java, soon you will find your server is a no-crits no damage spread classlimit server with voicechat only via vert's Mumble server! AND IT WILL BE 24/7 WELL/BADLANDS ;_;

rar

Blizzard said:
IT'S A TRAP

If you listen to them, Java, soon you will find your server is a no-crits no damage spread classlimit server with voicechat only via vert's Mumble server! AND IT WILL BE 24/7 WELL/BADLANDS ;_;

well, i could already do that if i wanted to :p

Yasae

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
crits aren't entirely random.

They are a core part of the game, part of the game is balanced around them.

They help break stalemates.
Eh.. Some of them are complete trash kills. I get 1-3 every game with Heavy, stalemate or not. They're giveaway kills. That's why I call them trash crits.

Twig

Banned
yeah but you have called literally every kind of kill a "trash kill" at least once in this thread
Blizzard said:
IT'S A TRAP

at least it wouldn't be dustbowl

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
IT'S A TRAP

YUCK! Who the hell likes Well?!

no-crits no damage spread with mumble would be awesome.

I didn't like using mumble at first, but in TF2, the lag is really high when you tell someone a spy is there and by the time they hear it, they're screwed. Some times, I KNOW a spy just ran by me and the heavy is going to get killed, but I don't bother since there's no chance he can do anything. Mumble changes all that.

Never heard of critz breaking stalemates...only ubers :p

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Blizzard said:
IT'S A TRAP

You forgot no medkits.

Boonoo

Kuro Madoushi said:
>:/

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU BOONOO!

TF2_Valentines__Scout_by_beavotron.png

In this case Valentine is referring to a plump, juicy medkit, not Kuro.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
notsol337 said:
2fort is awesome I will stab you.

Also I need to come play with you guys again, I haven't batted Kuro's face in for like a month.

Well, you'll get your chance. I've been playing fail sniper a lot lately :D

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
Egypt, Hydro, swiftwater. Last man on the server wins.
I like the unique style of Egypt, and I feel like I haven't played it in forever. You should replace swiftwater with lazytown again if you're looking for Maximum Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom