• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boonoo

thetrin said:
I'm in the group. The problem is that there was no definitive time announced in the group for when the server "started" the event.

All I'm saying is that we need to have more event organization.

Well, we had organized it in the thread, and at 8 we had enough to get going. As the point was to work towards more team oriented play (not comp tf2 but something that gets a little strategy going) smaller team size works better. It's the nature of the thing to limit it to 12-18 players.

There's a lot of fun to be had in actually getting some team work going. That's where the push towards getting everyone on mumble for the events was coming in. A lot of that gets lost in bigger pub games where you more or less just move as a wave without any real talk.

That's not to say we don't need to work a bit on some organization.

Twig

Banned
Mumble is great if you have a group of friends or specific people you always play with.

Mumble sucks for these kind of events because it's just a PITA and more often than not splits the playerbase.

I mean, I'd love it if everyone used Mumble, but since they don't... just stick with using in-game chat. The quality really isn't that bad, unless you're an insane person and have to have OMG DA BESTERST or you die of ear explosion.

(Also, Mumble makes it hard to make videos because, if you employ the record-a-demo then make-a-video-later strategy as I do, then you also have to record the Mumble audio separately and splice them together later and that makes things complicated. FUCK MUMBLE!)

Boonoo

Twig said:
Mumble is great if you have a group of friends or specific people you always play with.

Mumble sucks for these kind of events because it's just a PITA and more often than not splits the playerbase.

I mean, I'd love it if everyone used Mumble, but since they don't... just stick with using in-game chat. The quality really isn't that bad, unless you're an insane person and have to have OMG DA BESTERST or you die of ear explosion.

(Also, Mumble makes it hard to make videos because, if you employ the record-a-demo then make-a-video-later strategy as I do, then you also have to record the Mumble audio separately and splice them together later and that makes things complicated. FUCK MUMBLE!)

Agree (for the most part)!

Mumble really isn't hard to install, though. D:

Nabs

What kind of problems did you guys run into? I'd imagine Mumble working pretty well for signup games, since you're able to tell people to install it ahead of time. It really only takes a couple of minutes to configure. Now, random GAF games? I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you want to work together with a small team, away from all-chat (which is what I usually do).

Twig

Banned
Not everyone signs up for it ahead of time, though. It's open to anyone who shows up, basically.

ps mumble elitists are worse than console fanboys

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You can't really be elitist over some that is free and incredibly easy to set up.Pretty much every L4D game we play is a pick-up game with whoever we can get and we have no problems getting everyone on mumble and splitting up the teams into their separate rooms.

Blizzard

Banned
AHHH I WANT ONE

I saw someone on an idle server already tonight. Maybe 50% of my friends playing TF2 will be in idle servers in the near future again! It's like old times! I especially enjoy when they brag about having all hats, but panic when the Apple earbuds came out and they nearly didn't get a set. :lol

Salsa

nachomann3 has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
Gumby has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
Cole has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
tak has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
Calisse has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
Kamm*-* has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
Hidan has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
Mii~ has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
ehafh has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
Elefante Killer has found Golden Wrench no. 2!
[iO] Initialize has found Golden Wrench no. 2!
Hoener04 has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
Mastrix ([k]) has found Golden Wrench no. 3!
Horo 「♥」 has found Golden Wrench no. 1!
[cFc]Yagami Light has found Golden Wrench no. 2!
Cuppie ♥ EGC / NGC has found Golden Wrench no. 2!

AAAAAAAAARGGGGHHH WHERE IS MINE!?

SyNapSe

lol, valve working the MMO hampster/gerbil wheel again :( I still have almost no cool hats. Crafted again yesterday and got an ok hat for sniper but I already had the yellow headband.

SyNapSe said:
lol, valve working the MMO hampster/gerbil wheel again :( I still have almost no cool hats. Crafted again yesterday and got an ok hat for sniper but I already had the yellow headband.

With an update imminent, maybe it would be best to hold off on any further crafting.

Boonoo

Kulock said:
With an update imminent, maybe it would be best to hold off on any further crafting.

I have three refined metal squirreled away, ready and waiting, for this update. I wonder if there will actually be new hats, though.

Javaman

Boonoo said:
I have three refined metal squirreled away, ready and waiting, for this update. I wonder if there will actually be new hats, though.

I just crafted another magistrate's thingy. :(

It's too bad trading isn't up yet. I would love an eng hat.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Boonoo said:
There'll definitely be some from whenever the Ploycount update happens.

Oreoleo

shadowcomplex said:
which one? i'd love to have safe n' sound =(

Are those the headphones? I crafted a 2nd pair of those the other day trying to get a new hat :(

I just want a pyro hat that isn't shit :(

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Is there a place to download the non-vanilla map(s) GAF occasionally uses? Been on the GAF server several times and we change to one of the koth_ maps and It never lets me download.

Didn't see anything in the OP for it.

Oreoleo

Zerokku said:
Is there a place to download the non-vanilla map(s) GAF occasionally uses? Been on the GAF server several times and we change to one of the koth_ maps and It never lets me download.

Didn't see anything in the OP for it.

fpsbanana.com

When you join the GAF server there is a list of customs we use on the server MOTD page. But maybe Java or someone can pop in here and list them to save you some effort.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Thanks.

I've seen it before and read it, but usually just click past it real quick to get to the game. Forgot it said everything there :lol

Moobabe

I figure this is the best place to ask but since the UI update I'm having massive problems with TF2 - I've sold many of them by signing out of friends while I'm playing; it's not ideal but at least I can play, but as of yesterday I'm finding a bug where when I hit escape to bring up the menu I get stuck on it - I can't hit escape again and I can continue playing underneath the menu. The only way out is to alt+f4 it.

I also can't ever connect to the crafting servers as I've FINALLY got enough stuff to make a hat. Does anyone have similar issues?

Blizzard

Banned
Moobabe said:
I figure this is the best place to ask but since the UI update I'm having massive problems with TF2 - I've sold many of them by signing out of friends while I'm playing; it's not ideal but at least I can play, but as of yesterday I'm finding a bug where when I hit escape to bring up the menu I get stuck on it - I can't hit escape again and I can continue playing underneath the menu. The only way out is to alt+f4 it.

I also can't ever connect to the crafting servers as I've FINALLY got enough stuff to make a hat. Does anyone have similar issues?
I think I used to have the menu bug several versions back. I assume you've tried playing with the ingame community disabled? You can use Steam game properties to disable it for just one game. It would be nice if you could easily just ENABLE it for only one or two games but I'm not aware of an easy way to do that.

Javaman

Zerokku said:
Thanks.

I've seen it before and read it, but usually just click past it real quick to get to the game. Forgot it said everything there :lol

We're been staying away from most of the customs lately apart from the pacman one, frontier, and cashworks. The other ones tend to quickly kill the server.

Zerokku said:

Hmm, teamfortress.com seems to be down for me. Can anyone else get in?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Javaman said:
We're been staying away from most of the customs lately apart from the pacman one, frontier, and cashworks. The other ones tend to quickly kill the server.

Well I have em all downloaded now so Im good to go.

Hmm, teamfortress.com seems to be down for me. Can anyone else get in?

Not anymore. Servers must be getting slammed.

Zerokku said:
protip this shows that abraham lincoln faked his death on april 14th, 1865 (using engie grandpa's teleporter and TRICK HAT)

and the final life extending machine was created on an april 14th

ergo the current pyro is the same as the original pyro

the great emancipator is still the great immortal immolator

pyro as most pro class of all time confirmed, you are a one-man LINCOLN FORCE

Boonoo

Javaman said:
Where did you hear that?

http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/wrenchlog/

This implies the 100 limit. Who knows what will happen after the update, though.

Ha, the counter is slowly rolling towards 25 on the update page.

From how I read it, it sounds like you have to try and craft something right as it hits 25. Or perhaps it's triggered after a certain number of people have crafted something.

Edit: oh wait. perhaps the counter isn't moving. The current one is
http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/images/counter/c0.png
http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/images/counter/c2.png
http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/images/counter/c4.png

So maybe they just auto update it to http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/images/counter/c5.png when the 25th is found.

Boonoo

snack said:
I want a golden wrench!

I could see the golden wrench being a ghastly gibus type thing. It will just move out much more slowly with only 100 starting it. The kind of backhanded compliment about this list enshrining the memory seems like that could be it.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
To be fair there's only been 1 item of that nature.
AND I HATED IT!!!!

edit: okay yeah from the wording in the post there's absolutely no way that this isn't limited to just 100 people

"awesome"

Boonoo

Twig said:
AND I HATED IT!!!!

edit: okay yeah from the wording in the post there's absolutely no way that this isn't limited to just 100 people

"awesome"

Those of you who spent the weekend Tokyo drift-racing your way to a rap battle—or whatever it is people do when they go outside on the weekend—probably feel pretty good about yourselves right now. At the end of the day, though, what do you have to show for it? Vague memories of changing lanes. Twenty-five of the people who wisely chose to stay home and craft items, on the other hand, now have shiny new ultra-rare golden wrenches that they can keep. For a weekend? No. For a lifetime. Eat it, drift-racers. Eat all of it.

Luckily for you wrenchless unfortunates, there's still time to get one. A further 75 golden wrenches can be found through crafting all this week*. We'll also be teasing Engie's new weapons (the first of which, the revenge-critting Frontier Justice,, is currently on display)—with all of this culminating in the long-awaited Engineer Update this Thursday!

*Note that we've disabled the Smelt Reclaimed Metal & Smelt Refined Metal recipes. They'll work again once the Engineer Update goes live.

Are you saying you think it is limited to 100 or no limited! I can't parse your negatives!

Twig

Banned
Two negatives make a positive! There is no way it isn't limited!

It is limited!

Luckily for you wrenchless unfortunates, there's still time to get one. A further 75 golden wrenches can be found through crafting all this week*.

Implying no more than 75 plus the 25 that already exist.

I just crafted like 17 things and didn't get it. I did get the sniper's fishing hat, though.

):

I could craft more but I actually use those items. \:

edit: oh what the fuck drake is telling me it's only 25 wrenches a day and while it doesn't actually come out and say that, the wording could be construed as such

fffff

Boonoo

Twig said:
Two negatives make a positive! There is no way it isn't limited!

It is limited!

Not in latin!

I dunno, though. They seem awful smug, a little too smug if you ask me. The way they're rubbing it in makes me think that they'll open it up later. We'll know once the achievement list comes out, I suppose.

Edit: that's not to say that I won't be crafting like a madman tomorrow.

Twig

Banned
Latin is stupid.

They're being smug because they love trolling their fans. ):

oh new page
me said:
edit: oh what the fuck drake is telling me it's only 25 wrenches a day and while it doesn't actually come out and say that, the wording could be construed as such

fffff
DDD:

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
Latin is stupid.

They're being smug because they love trolling their fans. ):

oh new page

DDD:
It seems really blatant that it's only 25 a day, and I so far see no reason to believe that everyone else would get one. The gibus is the only item that's ever earnable in that fashion, though I wish it would happen with more items/hats.

And Twig!

Blizzard: nice to see everyone back on the idle servers
Blizzard: instead of starting playing with the engineer update
Blizzard: YOU START IDLING
Twig: fuck off
Twig: i don't wanna play until this shit actually hits
Twig: as i said
Twig: it's not my fault valve is now forcing me to play the game if i want to get this limited edition item
Oh Twigglefaust.

Blizzard

Banned
Javaman said:
Who gives a shit really? It's just a virtual item that means nothing but a little bit of E-peen credit.
IT TURNS PEOPLE INTO SOLID GOLD!

And you can forever taunt people who missed it, like everyone can with the soldier medal, or those competition medals, or the three custom hats people got, or the green badge people got, or the Sam and Max preorder bonus items, or Bill's hat.

No one else can EVER get those items unless Valve does something crazy which they presumably wouldn't. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom