• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
They added support into the engine to make prophunt easier in some patch a while ago.

It's not actually "official."

Javaman

I've got the map running on the server but can't get the cat to appear. Maybe it's just a joke.

How to trigger the kittygeddon
- Bind a key to +use (ie: open console, type: bind f "+use")
- Shoot the space between the locker and the striped wall on either spawn room. Specifically, the floor between the wall and the locker. After ~600dmg, you will see/hear glass breaking.
- Spam the key you bound to use

Note: You server must have tf_allow_player_use set to 1. Hence this won't work on most pubs.

I found this doesn't like to trigger, and it worked better if I had someone else doing the other side at the same time. We just kept spamming the use key in that corner at various angles, and eventually it started.

Sciz

Javaman said:
Yeah, I've got the glass to shatter without problems and have confirmed the use functionality and bind are set right.

until someone checks the BSP, I call BS.
er

People already decompiled the map to figure out how it's done. :p

rar

Reminder to everyone that we're having another GAF TF2 pick-up game this Saturday, and if you know you can play please sign up with your name and whichever classes you want to play.

GAF TF2 Fun Pick-up Game Night
Saturday, July 3rd, at 8:00 PM EST

Yasae

Banned
rar said:
Reminder to everyone that we're having another GAF TF2 pick-up game this Saturday, and if you know you can play please sign up with your name and whichever classes you want to play.

*signs on dotted line* Here... and, here.

Mmm... Forbidden donut... *om nom nom*

Javaman

rar said:

Do you have a link to see the data? I only see the sign in form.

sw33tclyde said:
Rocket Jump Waltz

This is definitely one of my favorite game songs ever. It's so fucking good, if only it were an entire song rather than 40 seconds of glory.

The best part is when they were first selling Audiosurf, packing it with the Orange Box soundtrack (or was it just TF2?). I immediately went to play some TF2 music in it, and a majority of the tracks were too short to work in the game.

Blizzard

Banned
It says something about not being human twice, right? Presumably that means they're still working on their beloved TF2 bots. Bots are cool as long as I don't see them on servers much and they're not there to give servers deceptive numbers.

Sciz

wait a second

Twig said:
boss_sawmill

The sawmill is a giant mech with sawblades for hands and it shoots giant log arrows!
-Something big, check: Giant mech
-Thunderstorm, check: Sawmill
-Not human, check: NPC boss character

quick, someone get Kotaku on the line

Proven

Inkwell said:
Anyone catch the latest TF2 blog post?

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4009

A few things there, but seems to be hinting at something else... Engie update incoming?

This is what I hope. I hope that Valve can start the countdown for the Engineer update tomorrow. I hope that it will be a week long, or at least 5 days long, because there's too much stuff in it, and they may have to do two weekend updates, one for each day. During this time I will leave for Chicago, and come back next week Tuesday, and either the update will launch, or it will just days away. And hopefully, if just about everything else is ready, they can use 5-7 days to actually choose the winners of a contest, instead of one month. I will then play TF2 nonstop for a week or two, and it will keep my sated and sane until Monday Night Combat releases on XBLA.

This is what I hope.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's nice that the TF2 Wiki is now official. It was easily the most impressive/polished game wiki I have ever really looked into. The guys who work on it really did a nice job laying out all the information you could want in an easy to find way.

Blizzard

Banned
rar said:

I signed up. Happy birthday (late?) n0b!

*edit* Doing "setinfo name whatever" ingame didn't work for me tonight. I wonder if that was patched out or just a glitch...

Blizzard said:
I signed up. Happy birthday (late?) n0b!

*edit* Doing "setinfo name whatever" ingame didn't work for me tonight. I wonder if that was patched out or just a glitch...

I tried the same thing and wondered wtf was up, though I only tried it in one server(F7), if that makes any difference.

They patched out setinfo name. There's been a lot of complaining about the change.

Stallion Free said:
That's nice that the TF2 Wiki is now official. It was easily the most impressive/polished game wiki I have ever really looked into. The guys who work on it really did a nice job laying out all the information you could want in an easy to find way.

I agree, it's been extremely handy at times. And it's awesome of Valve to pick up hosting of it like that, just when people were starting to get overwhelmed with the ads.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Interesting controversy going down on the TF2WIKI transfer: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1333683

I don't know what's going on, but it seems like Smashman, who had no owning stake in the website, orchestrated a transfer to Valve, screwing over it's owner and host, and the new owner.

HarriL said:
When we first talked with Smashman I really thought that he understood that I really invested over $10k into this and there's no way I would be selling it for a few grand or giving it away for free. I understand and respect that he's a passionate TF2 player and really cares about this community but it's just unbelievable naive from him to think that I would just give the domain to Valve and wish them all the best. If you had over $10,000 USD invested in this would you just give it away?

Originally I paid $7000 to Nos for this site. Without my investment there wouldn't be TF2wiki now.

Smashman said:
You are missing nothing. That's exactly what's occured. We told the original owner, he demanded over $90k from Valve. We all thought this was unreasonable and thus, because all wiki information is public, we transferred the articles over. This was at least more than one month ago and as such, we assume he's attempting to rake his money back and leave the new owner to loose it all. Pilk has reported this to the auction site and as such we are waiting for a reply.

Summary:

HarriL, owner of TF2Wiki.Net puts 10,000 dollars into the site, spends hundreds of hours dealing with technical issues and updates.

Valve wants to host the Wiki and take ownership, but HarriL's selling price falls through.

HarriL, wanting to back out, puts TF2Wiki.net up for auction earlier this month, sells it, and makes a small profit.

Smashman, volunteer TF2Wiki admin, wants Vavle to have TF2Wiki ownership rights, somehow gains access to the server database, and transfers all wiki content to Valve, pro bono.

Valve announces acquisition of TF2Wiki's content, transfered from Smashman.

New TF2Wiki owner left with a multiple-thousand dollar dud, being an unofficial page with the exact same content.

Sciz

Lyphen said:
Smashman, volunteer TF2Wiki admin, wants Vavle to have TF2Wiki ownership rights, somehow gains access to the server database, and transfers all wiki content to Valve, pro bono.
Going by the edit history of every page on the official wiki, the content was copied with a bot rather than direct database access.

Said bot was also TF2Wiki's maintenance bot, written by another admin, so this seems like a more broad revolt than just one guy masterminding the whole transfer.

I'm all for him getting back the money he invested into it (time/effort is a hard thing to price out when you're talking about fandom), but if he seriously demanded $90k of Valve for a wiki of information based around their own game... that's a nice dream.

I'm sad this is turning out to be another source of drama, I thought the wiki was on its last legs considering the overflow of ads on it. I didn't even realize it was on private hosting, I thought it was on a free service akin to Wikia.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sciz said:
Going by the edit history of every page on the official wiki, the content was copied with a bot rather than direct database access.

Said bot was also TF2Wiki's maintenance bot, written by another admin, so this seems like a more broad revolt than just one guy masterminding the whole transfer.
Dang, the mastermind theory was so much more interesting.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Good job Valve. Hilarious of true.

I don't understand why Valve would go through anyone other than the site owner to get the information though.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Javaman said:
I don't see how valve is responsible. It was something shady either the original owner or the guy who transfered it over had done. .

Wasn't meant to come off as though it's their fault, I find it funny is all. Who goes through anyone other than the admin to essentially copy a site? lol

Blizzard

Banned
Bah, the update news today says they treated the setinfo thing as an exploit. o_O I'm glad they don't ban people's accounts for stuff like that considering they could probably drop it under their "gaining an unfair advantage" clause of the subscriber's agreement or something.

I just thought it was nice to be able to use silly TF2-only names in a game.

DarkKyo

There is a golden wrench hidden in the new update code.
"Imbued with an ancient power."
gold_wrench_sized.png

Javaman

0.01% downloading ./orangebox/tf/cfg/user_default.scr
0.01% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/cp_gravelpit.ain
0.01% downloading ./orangebox/tf/maps/graphs/ctf_2fort.ain
0.01% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/weapons/c_models/c_wrench/c_wrench.mdl
0.42% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/weapons/c_models/c_wrench/c_wrench.vvd
0.54% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/weapons/c_models/c_engineer_animations.mdl
0.63% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/weapons/c_models/c_engineer_arms.dx90.vtx
0.67% downloading ./orangebox/tf/models/weapons/c_models/c_engineer_arms.mdl
0.82% downloading ./orangebox/tf/particles/item_fx_dx80.pcf
0.82% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/ui/notifications/notification_manifest.txt
0.88% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/ui/mainmenuoverride.res
1.82% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_danish.txt
2.37% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_english.txt
3.33% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_french.txt
4.28% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_italian.txt
5.11% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_korean.txt
6.04% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_norwegian.txt
7.00% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_portuguese.txt
7.79% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_schinese.txt
8.71% downloading ./orangebox/tf/resource/tf_swedish.txt
8.99% downloading ./orangebox/tf/scripts/items/items_game.txt
9.04% downloading ./orangebox/tf/scripts/mod_textures.txt
9.04% downloading ./orangebox/tf/steam.inf

Checking/Installing 'Team Fortress 2 Materials' version 63

9.04% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/backpack/weapons/c_models/c_wrench/gold_wrench_large.vmt
9.04% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/hud/d_images_v2.vmt
9.04% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/hud/dneg_images_v2.vmt
9.04% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/models/effects/goldenwrench.vmt
9.05% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/models/player/shared/gold_player.vmt
9.05% downloading ./orangebox/tf/materials/models/weapons/c_items/gold_wrench.vmt

Chavelo

Oh dang... Valve is setting up another ARG with the engie update!

"Clearly this is more space than needed. I wonder what else was here"

Just wanted to say that tonight was my first time on the GAF server, had a great time with you guys.

I wonder what the golden wrench is about. Apparently all the stats are the same as the regular wrench? So there must be more to it...

Sciz

Welcome, welcome. We're always glad to have more GAFfers around.

Regarding the wrench, it wouldn't especially surprise me if they start implementing a few crazy rare flavor weapons to spice up the hat fixation somewhat.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sciz said:
Welcome, welcome. We're always glad to have more GAFfers around.

Regarding the wrench, it wouldn't especially surprise me if they start implementing a few crazy rare flavor weapons to spice up the hat fixation somewhat.
If you get killed by a golden wrench your hat has a 1% proc rate to gain +1 shininess.

rar

Reminder to everyone that we're having another GAF TF2 pick-up game tommorow, and if you know you can play please sign up with your name and whichever classes you want to play.

Please try and download Mumble, a free voice chat program like Ventrilo or Teamspeak. If most people use it it could help picking teams and organizing stuff go alot smoother. If you manage to get it working, please join the mumble server before the PUG starts, even if you don't have a mic.

Server info:

TF2:
68.232.178.184:27015
The password will be given when we start the PUG

Mumble:
Address: 67.23.187.114
Port: 20198

Players signed up:

pet
Any
Boonoo
Scout
A Dog Chasing Cars
Heavy
Toxic Punch
Soldier, Heavy, Engineer
Yasae
Heavy, Medic, Soldier, Demo, Engineer, Pyro
[GAF]Javaman
Engineer, Medic, Spy
John_Rabbit
Medic, Heavy
Stefl
Demo, Scout, Medic, Soldier
Blizzard
Heavy, Medic, Pyro, Soldier
Chavelo
Scout, Medic, Spy
shadowcomplex
Spy

Blizzard

Banned
IS THAT ABRAHAM LINCOLN WITH A FLAMETHROWER? I think it is. I love the old-timey team. :D

And the engineer look with giant sideburns is awesome.

*edit 3.0 for moustache science and woman with moustache* :lol

I love the last page. It's about time for engineer, my real life profession yet probably least-played TF2 class, to get some practice again.

derFeef said:
I think they're just explaining where the will was from etc.

Roody

Neo Member
That was an amazing comic. Holy crap, I'm actually really interested in the story. :lol

Also, it doesn't seem they're counting that as the first day of the Engie update? So I guess this is just to hold us over. Hope they start the actual update soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom