• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
It seems really blatant that it's only 25 a day.
It says "a further 75" "all this week". It doesn't say "25 more wrenches every day".

That's hardly blatant.
Javaman said:
Who gives a shit really? It's just a virtual item that means nothing but a little bit of E-peen credit.
More like

It's just a virtual item that TURNS PEOPLE TO GOLD.

This is the kind of thing I happen to enjoy. I don't give two shits if everyone has it. In fact, I'd prefer it if it wasn't limited. Which negates the whole e-peen concept.

Why you a hater Javamang.

derFeef

So this is a 3-day update? There is one light on the side of the header.

edit: That shotgun sounds overpowered!! and awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
rar said:
that shotgun idea is stupid

why valve why
Or we could wait to see how it works ingame!

...nah.

Also, can I get in line to preemptively hate any new maps they might release with this update? I may do so for reals if at least two of them are arena though. >_> Or if only one of them uses the mountain theme and it's arena.

Boonoo

mountain theme + arena is just about the best thing ever. What's wrong with you blizzard. The only thing that's better is a 5cp push mountain map like cp_follower.

And the new shotgun doesn't look overpowered or anything, just a little blah.

Twig

Banned
blog was updated
**Also note, wrenches can be found up until the 100th wrench has gone out. There is no per-day limit on the number of wrenches found, and distribution has been designed to be fair to all timezones. Every 25th wrench found will result in the release of more information on the Engineer Update.
so i'm glad i didn't waste my craft attempts

but i still didn't get it ;_;

firex

that new shotgun sounds pretty lame, except for somewhat supporting running around dropping sentries and not giving a fuck.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Boonoo said:
mountain theme + arena is just about the best thing ever. What's wrong with you blizzard. The only thing that's better is a 5cp push mountain map like cp_follower.

And the new shotgun doesn't look overpowered or anything, just a little blah.

Mountain theme + anything is just about the best thing ever. Goldrush w/ mountains would be my favorite map instantly.

Ultimatum

Banned
firex said:
that new shotgun sounds pretty lame, except for somewhat supporting running around dropping sentries and not giving a fuck.
yeah, sounds more offensive, as in you run around placing level 1 sentries around in annoying locations

still wanted something a bit more interesting

Proven

I cannot play until tomorrow late late late. Dammit, I won't have a chance until there's 50 left. But the Engy update is upcoming.

As for the new shotgun, I was half right. It does reward accuraccy more by having a smaller clip. The smaller clip size also limits the crit potential, meaning that you're a lot like the Scout on the front lines; able to pack a crazy powerful punch but your speed and health are still a liability to get you killed.

Overall, it encourages firing with your sentry, and not dying with your nest. If your sentry dies while you're away, you can come in and do the work of two or three guys. This also means that you can better defend the point when your entire team runs off and leaves you alone and unsupported.

If I can get my accurraccy up (My foray into Soldier and the every constant Medic play has reduced my shotgun and flaregun accuraccy by a ton, which is a bit annoying) I could see myself maining this shotgun. You can kill most classes in three nicely aimed shotgun shots, after which point you either want to switch to pistol while backing away, or switch to wrench and charge them.

Edit: There is also potential for an aggressive strategy where you kill a few people, blow up the sentry, then quickly rebuild it. But, unless you have to move the sentry anyway, this strategy will be very risky without at least one other person backing you up, as you never know who will sneak up behind you in the 5 seconds it takes to speed build a new sentry.

Also, with this weapon, I highly doubt we'll get any weapon that speed builds a sentry without a more massive drawback compared to the "no upgrading" as hoped for with the PDQ. It's waaaaaaay too exploitable, especially on pubs. Still, without a PDQ, you won't be able to roll out with the other classes very well still.

Second Edit: Also, someone should make a post in the Gaming forum about this new update. It can be someone who will actually remember to link to this thread in the first post, and will listen to us and take suggestions to update it to look spiffy. We can also wait until Thursday, but the longer one waits...

Twig

Banned
Ultimatum said:
yeah, sounds more offensive, as in you run around placing level 1 sentries around in annoying locations

still wanted something a bit more interesting
Yeah, that was my initial reaction, too.

But after thinking about it, the half-size clip kind of dampers that theory, doesn't it?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Well, I crafted my 13th hat today. It's my third for the Pyro, the Whiskered Gentlemen! Which is actually a Misc item.. all the better though, I can show up more things at once.

Twig

Banned
EvilMario said:
Well, I crafted my 13th hat today. It's my third for the Pyro, the Whiskered Gentlemen! Which is actually a Misc item.. all the better though, I can show up more things at once.
I got that earlier, crafting my newly acquired duplicate engineer's cap (the irony of attaining it after my first day of idling in a LOOOONG time and it was also the first hat I ever got on my first day of idling period) and the bald scout which is a stupid non-hat.

We are gentlebrothers. :3

Twig

Banned
Blu_LED said:
I'm sorry for being so stupid, but has Valve confirmed the exact way to get a gold wrench? Is random from crafting, or is a random item drop?
The post says you find it while crafting.

Meanwhile, people who actually have it say it's a random drop when you craft.

Essentially: craft craft craft. Every new thing you craft is another chance to get a wrench. Of course I've only crafted like 30 times now and still don't have a wrench so good look with that.

Then again I have horrible luck with things. ):

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Twig said:
I got that earlier, crafting my newly acquired duplicate engineer's cap (the irony of attaining it after my first day of idling in a LOOOONG time and it was also the first hat I ever got on my first day of idling period) and the bald scout which is a stupid non-hat.

Tea time!

xlxbgk.jpg

No idling for me, just a lot of wasted time.

Twig said:
The post says you find it while crafting.

Meanwhile, people who actually have it say it's a random drop when you craft.

Essentially: craft craft craft. Every new thing you craft is another chance to get a wrench. Of course I've only crafted like 30 times now and still don't have a wrench so good look with that.

Then again I have horrible luck with things. ):
Ehh, I don't have enough extra stuff to craft. I'm not throwing away my weapons for a gold textured wrench.

Twig

Banned
Blu_LED said:
Ehh, I don't have enough extra stuff to craft. I'm not throwing away my weapons for a gold textured wrench.
Eh, I'll get back the weapons fast enough that I don't care, stuff drops so fast now.

Sciz

Twig said:

Curious. I crafted together a trophy belt and the toque earlier and also got the Whiskered Gentleman.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Okay I have an idea. Since people seem to drop from the GAF server when we do custom maps, and its sort of tedious to hunt them down ourselves, is there a way we could host a zip/rar/whatever will all the custom maps in it? Then link to it in the OP?

MNC

Steam Forums are going haywire, apparently some guy is predicting times the next wrench is gonna fall, and so far he's been 'pretty accurate'. within 5 minutes of the range.

Also, apparently it's not that random and wrenches fall at a certain time interval during which you have the most luck to get it while crafting.

MNC said:
Steam Forums are going haywire, apparently some guy is predicting times the next wrench is gonna fall, and so far he's been 'pretty accurate'. within 5 minutes of the range.

Also, apparently it's not that random and wrenches fall at a certain time interval during which you have the most luck to get it while crafting.
Makes sense, keeps the new day updates regularly spaced apart.

MNC

Armitage said:
Crafted away basically everything I don't use. Then made a hat. Safe n' sound! No gold wrench though :(
Safe n sound is fucking awesome! I never get limited edition stuff so I already lowered expectations.

Javaman

derFeef said:
I bet 50% of the people on that wrenchlog do not even know the TF2 blog exists and an engie update is coming. Hate it.

Clicking through into their profile shows many of them have around 100 hrs or less of play time.

Proven

Javaman said:
Clicking through into their profile shows many of them have around 100 hrs or less of play time.
If the chances are spread evenly, then statistically there are more players with under 100 hours of play, and more of them would get this item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom