• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Proven said:
Thoughts on the Wrangler.

I hated all those ideas of "How about letting the Engineer jump into his sentry and aim at stuff!" Well, those people got their compromise.

The Wrangler is a defensive Engie's dream. You can probably use it all the way from resupply. You can use your sentry to spy check. Your sentry now has infinite range and can make use of rocket splash to root out enemies around corners. You can aim at people's feet when they uber rush you and pop them into the air yourself during the next rocket volley.

The stats are incredible. Double bullet speed means literally twice the firepower at level 1 and 2, and at least 1.5 at level 3. 66% damage reduction means only a third of damage taken, which means that you have a chance of surviving an uber, as it now takes at least 6 stickies to blow up your level 3.
Some people were suggesting that the fire rate and such only increased at level 3 and not before. Some people were also suggesting that the range might be limited anyway. Not being able to repair your own sentry seems like a huge disadvantage for me, as does the small shotgun magazine (I need hax and autoaim to hit things...stuff like playing scout and sniper is deep magic for me since I don't know how to point and click with fast reaction timez).

But basically, we'll just have to wait until Thursday, and then wait for the servers to download stuff, and then wait for the bug that Valve will introduce that prevents anyone from joining servers to be fixed, and then wait for the servers to update, and then wait until we get a slot in the server, and then wait until we get a random drop in case Valve decided to take away the ability to earn weapons again, and then wait until some other engineer quits so we can get past the 1-engineer limit that Javaman will set, and THEN

THEN we can see how it plays. I can only hope that I get to try it early and that it's horribly overpowered.

Proven

Until I read around, I didn't notice that I could parse the message to say that it only gets the bullet speed effect at level 3. If that's the case, then I'll probably use it a lot less, but it'll make your sentry essentially a level 4.

Javaman

Blizzard said:
Some people were suggesting that the fire rate and such only increased at level 3 and not before. Some people were also suggesting that the range might be limited anyway. Not being able to repair your own sentry seems like a huge disadvantage for me, as does the small shotgun magazine (I need hax and autoaim to hit things...stuff like playing scout and sniper is deep magic for me since I don't know how to point and click with fast reaction timez).

But basically, we'll just have to wait until Thursday, and then wait for the servers to download stuff, and then wait for the bug that Valve will introduce that prevents anyone from joining servers to be fixed, and then wait for the servers to update, and then wait until we get a slot in the server, and then wait until we get a random drop in case Valve decided to take away the ability to earn weapons again, and then wait until some other engineer quits so we can get past the 1-engineer limit that Javaman will set, and THEN

THEN we can see how it plays. I can only hope that I get to try it early and that it's horribly overpowered.

I would hope they are mistaken about boosts for lower levels. It seems like a pretty pointless item if it doesn't help lower level ones. Hopefully your view will switch to the sentry. It's going to be neat to see what sneaky spots I can put that into and keep it quiet and undetected until a medic or someone important runs by. It'll almost act like a remote camera.

Man, there is going to be a freaking PILE of these at CP 4 on dustbowl. :(

I'm not going to limit engineers unless things really suck (which I fully expect it to if 12vs12 engineers show up) I'll probably run some type of achievement map for the first few hours so people can go ahead and grind out if they want. Even if you're anti achievement I'm sure it'll be a lot more fun screwing around than camping a sentry carnival.

Twig

Banned
There's no way it doesn't double the fire rate for all levels. Sentries don't have missiles at levels 1 and 2. That's all that means.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Javaman said:
I'll probably run some type of achievement map for the first few hours so people can go ahead and grind out if they want. Even if you're anti achievement I'm sure it'll be a lot more fun screwing around than camping a sentry carnival.
Yay!

Are you going to password it?

Proven

I say limit Engies to 3 at most, and hopefully we'll have a regular taking at least one of the spots to help out others and give impressions. I volunteer first.

Javaman

Proven said:
I say limit Engies to 3 at most, and hopefully we'll have a regular taking at least one of the spots to help out others and give impressions. I volunteer first.

The only way I can see valve pulling this off without making for a horrible campfest is to make the achievements retroactive. You can do it VALVE.

Boonoo

Javaman said:
The only way I can see valve pulling this off without making for a horrible campfest is to make the achievements retroactive. You can do it VALVE.

Eh, the game always turns a little bit shit after an update like this. I don't see that as being that much worse than the soldier/demo--that spam was a pain. Besides, with the level of achievements it's more than likely that half the engies running around won't even have sentries up. They'll be wrenching people and the like.

Javaman

Boonoo said:
Eh, the game always turns a little bit shit after an update like this. I don't see that as being that much worse than the soldier/demo--that spam was a pain. Besides, with the level of achievements it's more than likely that half the engies running around won't even have sentries up. They'll be wrenching people and the like.

Even with the spam those weren't too bad since they were offensive classes. When the majority of a team plays engineer it can break the map once they get set up. (barring amazing spy and demo work)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I want to play with some gaffers, where can I go. I am still a little confused with the server listing since I keep getting these odd mods when I just want to play the official maps.

Sciz

Drkirby said:
I want to play with some gaffers, where can I go. I am still a little confused with the server listing since I keep getting these odd mods when I just want to play the official maps.
The NeoGAF TF2 Steam Community group - for being easily alerted to when GAF games are getting started.

68.232.178.184:27015 - the IP of the unofficial GAF TF2 server.

Boonoo

Drkirby said:

If you're looking for straight valve maps I like these servers, too.

f2valvemaps.sourceop.com
67.228.59.145:27015 SourceOP.com TF2 [VALVE MAPS] [NO MODS]

tf2valvemaps2.sourceop.com
74.55.49.243:27015 SourceOP.com TF2 [VALVE MAPS #2] [NO MODS]

tf2nocrits.sourceop.com
67.228.59.144:27015 SourceOP.com TF2 Pro Rotation [NO CRITS]

Boonoo

69.61.110.70:27015

Here's the f7 server. Gaffers hop on here now and then. It's open

The sourceop servers are more or less full 24/7, so they're always good for a game if you can squeeze in.

Sciz

Drkirby said:
Sadly those are full at the moment, and the gaf one is empty.
It tends to fill up in the evenings in US timezones. Afternoon games aren't unheard of, but aren't terribly common either.

Would be interesting if other Engineers equipped with the Wrangler could aim the signal of their device or whatever at other friendly Sentries should one of your colleagues die, so they could take it over for a little while and keep it out of harms way / continue to defend with it until he respawns.

Also, a new melee weapon replacing the wrench would only be acceptable if this means you'll gain a mini-blimp that's operated by the tunes of the Engie's guitar. That'd also explain why he wouldn't be able to upgrade buildings anymore!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
MicVlaD said:
Would be interesting if other Engineers equipped with the Wrangler could aim the signal of their device or whatever at other friendly Sentries should one of your colleagues die, so they could take it over for a little while and keep it out of harms way / continue to defend with it until he respawns.
Would be hilarious if they had to introduce different frequency channels because one Wrangler ends up controlling all immediate sentries.

Javaman

PatzCU said:
The guy with Wrench No. 27 destroyed his Golden Wrench :lol

It broadcast it to all servers.

Haahaha. That's awesome. I was wondering if someone would do that just to see what would happen.

Javaman

Cheeto said:

oh snap

.... _______
....|...........|.
....|...........O
....|
....|
__|__..=-=

5u1o1x.jpg

Remy

Wrench #27 update, from the TF2 wiki:

The first Golden Wrench owner to destroy his Wrench, Golden Wrench no. 27, was gonkt. There is strong proof that gonkt was hacked and the deletion was malicious griefing.[3] GreenMarine, a Valve employee has said he look into it and as such gonkt may have his Golden Wrench given back to him.[4]

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I wonder how many people will try to sell their Golden Wrench for literal cash if the trading system is ever to come around (and if the GW is tradable).

firex

well, I had fun playing earlier on the gaf server. hopefully there's some more announcements sometime since I'm gonna be going without l4d2 for awhile until they come up with one of the mutations I wanted to play. I mainly quit playing tf2 before because I couldn't find a good server that wasn't constantly full like SourceOP.

Javaman

firex said:
well, I had fun playing earlier on the gaf server. hopefully there's some more announcements sometime since I'm gonna be going without l4d2 for awhile until they come up with one of the mutations I wanted to play. I mainly quit playing tf2 before because I couldn't find a good server that wasn't constantly full like SourceOP.

I can guarantee you that the GAF server isn't constantly full. :lol :lol

HomShaBom

Banned
#27 who got hacked was a SA poster. Hacker made a facebook group about it and all....using his real name, and changed hacked account name to his own acount name.. Valve employee GM who posts on SA was active in TF2 thread and read about the hacking, fixed it and they nuked hackers account.

Twig

Banned
Haha niiice.

Still, I have to wonder why that Destroy message even exists in the first place.

VALVE

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO US

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
HomShaBom said:
#27 who got hacked was a SA poster. Hacker made a facebook group about it and all....using his real name, and changed hacked account name to his own acount name.. Valve employee GM who posts on SA was active in TF2 thread and read about the hacking, fixed it and they nuked hackers account.
JUSTICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom