• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatzCU

So the time algorithm he supposedly discovered actually works? Great I'm so glad I crafted all my items when I actually had no shot at the wrench.

Twig

Banned
HomShaBom said:
Apparently he was making servers think he crafted shit without actually crafting, along with time thing.
There are screenshots of his backpack showing that he actually was crafting.

Boonoo

That's strange. I don't think a ban was in order if he actually just cracked the code. I like drunken f00l, he runs nice servers and is fun to play with.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
There are screenshots of his backpack showing that he actually was crafting.
He probably did some normal crafting, but given the idle program, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do something that emulated the protocol again which is explicitly forbidden by the terms of use.

It's a wonder more people didn't get banned I guess. VAC bans and Valve are scary. :(

Boonoo

How do the VAC bans work? Do you just get banned from that game, or does it screw up your whole account? It wouldn't be toooooo terrible if you just had to rebuy tf2 (I already have 2 copies :D)

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
He probably did some normal crafting, but given the idle program, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't do something that emulated the protocol again which is explicitly forbidden by the terms of use.

It's a wonder more people didn't get banned I guess. VAC bans and Valve are scary. :(
Literally all the idle program did was connect you to a server and absolutely nothing else. (Well it tracked total drops too just as a matter of data keeping.)

This is on a whole other level. U:

Boonoo

nm

Literally all the idle program did was connect you to a server and absolutely nothing else. (Well it tracked total drops too just as a matter of data keeping.)

Yeah, the idler program wasn't much different from logging on to tf2 in text mode.

Twig

Banned
Boonoo said:
How do the VAC bans work? Do you just get banned from that game, or does it screw up your whole account? It wouldn't be toooooo terrible if you just had to rebuy tf2 (I already have 2 copies :D)
AFAIK it bans you entirely from all VAC-secured servers in all games that use VAC.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:

How do you launch TF2 in text mode?

The idler program used Valve protocols to connect to the server as far as I know (i.e. connect as a specific user), thus violating their terms of use, regardless of whether it's benign or not.

VAC bans ban you from all games on your account for that engine, and you don't get to know why or question if there was a false positive. If you get another account and use the same computer you get to worry whether it will get VAC banned at a later point if it's something on your computer that triggered it (since you don't know). They're supposed to not ban for things like video card/graphics utilities running, or modified sound/graphic files, but supposedly modified DLLs (or executables?) can get you banned. If I understand correctly, getting VAC banned in TF2 would mean you can't play on VAC servers for TF2/L4D/L4D2/HL2/sourcemod games, but you could play on MW2 VAC servers.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
The idler program used Valve protocols to connect to the server as far as I know (i.e. connect as a specific user), thus violating their terms of use, regardless of whether it's benign or not.
I don't care. I know exactly what it did. I was expressing no opinions, only stating facts. My point is: what you suggested "is on a whole other level."

And also you were wrong. :3

Twig said:
reposting from update thread

Apparently Drunken F00l and his two friends got their wrenches revoked.

Proof of DF, at least: http://www.tf2items.com/id/df

...has he always been VAC banned? http://steamcommunity.com/id/df/

Remember how I told you the person I was with knew the times? They also managed to get the times from someone else.

he was mainly banned for running a script that crafted at the very moment a wrench would be dropped.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
You assumed DF was emulating something to trick servers. He wasn't.
What exactly did the program do, and do you have the source? Did it or did it not connect to servers, and if so, how did it do so?

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
What exactly did the program do, and do you have the source? Did it or did it not connect to servers, and if so, how did it do so?
......................we are talking about the reason he got banned here not the idling program

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
......................we are talking about the reason he got banned here not the idling program
Oh. I thought you meant when I referred to the idling program beforehand. =(

Yes, if he's telling the truth now which seems likely (despite admitting to lying), he presumably just had some ingame script running. I would still like to know what kind of scripts/commands to avoid, even if Volcynika mocks me for it forever. ;_;

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Oh. I thought you meant when I referred to the idling program beforehand. =(

Yes, if he's telling the truth now which seems likely (despite admitting to lying), he presumably just had some ingame script running. I would still like to know what kind of scripts/commands to avoid, even if Volcynika mocks me for it forever. ;_;
how about the ones that are bad

yeesh

Blizzard

Banned
The connection was down for the NeoGAF server even after a reboot, so you presumably can't get/craft/use items. I blame everyone crafting/haxing/idling. ;_;

Back up now.

By the way, looks like I'm wrong -- only takes a couple of seconds for the flamethrower to destroy a teleporter if the engineer isn't repairing it, so maybe the homewrecker is almost truly useless besides sappers? :p

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Blizzard said:
The connection was down for the NeoGAF server even after a reboot, so you presumably can't get/craft/use items. I blame everyone crafting/haxing/idling. ;_;

Back up now.
would that also explain why i lagged out a couple of hours ago?
just wondering =P

corn_fest

Blizzard said:
By the way, looks like I'm wrong -- only takes a couple of seconds for the flamethrower to destroy a teleporter if the engineer isn't repairing it, so maybe the homewrecker is almost truly useless besides sappers? :p
I would say it is. I only had one equipped for a while because I don't have an axetinguisher yet :(

Got a pass for 3 days, so I'm resubscribing to this. Had a hard time getting on the server tonight what with it being full, but once I did it was fine.

Javaman

What's a good achievement map? Something with some variety. I don't want to do the current one since people will just keep triggering crazycat.

Proven

Kuro Madoushi said:
Hmm...so you may have the ability to pack up and move lvl 2 sentries? Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting....

http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/engineer_photos/

Very much so...

Edit: I don't think it's limited to level 2 sentries. It's also probably an unlock, as the sentry in the picture looks a little bit different. If I'm wrong about that difference, then it'll definitely be the Engie's new right click option, hopefully across all weapons rather than just the wrench.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Javaman said:
What's a good achievement map? Something with some variety. I don't want to do the current one since people will just keep triggering crazycat.
There's a wide-open map called achievement_eagle that I really like, but can't find a place to download it. :(

achievement_scout_turbov9 if you want one with lots of rooms.

The achievement maps that came out during the war between soldier/demo were pretty spacious.

Inkwell

Banned
perryfarrell said:
True. Many people don't have the custom maps, and going to FPSbanana.com is risky because they've had viruses on their website for a while now.
Really? I think I'll avoid FPSbanana for now.

Boonoo

The trouble with the GAF customs is that there are probably a bit too many on the server. I think it would be manageable if we just had two or three.

cashworks, frontier and furnace creek would do!

Javaman

Inkwell said:
Really? I think I'll avoid FPSbanana for now.

The best bet is to find another server currently running the map. Just sort your server list by map name. Usually there's several running the map.

Javaman

fallengorn said:
There's a wide-open map called achievement_eagle that I really like, but can't find a place to download it. :(

achievement_scout_turbov9 if you want one with lots of rooms.

The achievement maps that came out during the war between soldier/demo were pretty spacious.

If that's the one I think it is I'll go with it. There will probably be plenty of servers running it if you guys don't want to deal with this slow janky server. I'm too stingy to spring for a more expensive host and too hard-headed to take donations. So there we are. :lol

Edit: I'm going to use a different password than usual. I just realized that it's in the name of the server.

I'll post it here tonight once the server gets updated. I'm sure updating is going to be a freaking mess. There's going to be a metric crapton of traffic on steam tonight.

Blizzard

Banned
perryfarrell said:
True. Many people don't have the custom maps, and going to FPSbanana.com is risky because they've had viruses on their website for a while now.
Like, ad banners, or actual viruses in the downloadable map packs? Do you have any sources and are they aware? That sucks, they seemed like a good site.

Proven

Javaman said:
If that's the one I think it is I'll go with it. There will probably be plenty of servers running it if you guys don't want to deal with this slow janky server. I'm too stingy to spring for a more expensive host and too hard-headed to take donations. So there we are. :lol

Edit: I'm going to use a different password than usual. I just realized that it's in the name of the server.

I'll post it here tonight once the server gets updated. I'm sure updating is going to be a freaking mess. There's going to be a metric crapton of traffic on steam tonight.

Ah! It's Believe!

I may not get to be on much tonight. Even if I do, if you're running an achievement server I won't be farming them. I find there's too much of an intrinsic joy in destroying my opponents and getting a milestone as a reward. Soldier update was delish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom