• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Hitokage said:
Tried TF2 earlier this week with a couple friends on pub servers, and I just wasn't feeling it. Having a private server makes all the difference. Good times.
Didn't even know you played. Always nice to have one of the actual admins drop by.

Hitokage said:
Call me crazy, but maybe having the password in the server name isn't the best idea.
It keeps most of the random pubber population out without forcing any of the regular GAF population to poke through the thread to find it. Wouldn't use it in the event that we ever really wanted privacy, for whatever reason.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The new maps are great and make me want a TF2 MMOFPS even more, the environment design is just gorgeous.

notsol337

marked forever
Kuro Madoushi said:
What I would've preferred...

1. Frontier shotgun is fine. But should be mini crits. I saw 7 Revenge Crits built up in my shotgun. That is FREAKIN insane if you're guaranteed crits like that.
2. Have a different set of build plans linked to another wrench. Buildings can't be upgraded either, but are movable. OR if you guys are DEAD SET on keeping this movable building shit then I say this: Make it so that ONLY lvl 3 buildings can be moved, and they transform into lvl 1 buildings when rebuilt. You're still walking slower and can't attack while carrying it.
3. Perhaps have another wrench that swings a lot slower, but helps build faster, takes off sappers in one hit, and maybe causes random stun too :D
4 No wrangler...PERIOD.
5. Have something look like the Wrangler in the pistol slot, but it's more like a sonar that is used to make spies glow. Uses up metal while it's on.

All of these ideas are bad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Boonoo said:
Oh yes. On a run through offense as a Demo on Dustbowl I wracked up 150 points.
I had 204 on the Payload map. Next person on the server (24) had 80 as spy :lol
I carried my entire engie team to victory. :lol :lol

Volcynika

notsol337 said:
All of these ideas are bad.

Well it's the natural progression of TF2 class updates.

"Wonder what it'll be"
"Wow those items look so cool!"
"Yeah I see people using those items!"
"......what, these items are completely overpowered"
"Fix it, Valve!"

Inkwell

Banned
I really wish they added cashworks as an official map. It might have to be optimized a little bit first for people with lower specs, but it looks nice, is simple in its design, and plays well.

The new maps look nice, but I'm not sure if I like them. I actually don't like hightower at all. It feels very cramped. A few good engineers on either team and you have a stalemate.

Upward is probably my favorite so far simply because the level layout is simple. It was easy to learn, and it doesn't seem overly complex with tons of side areas. I think this map will become everyone's favorite out of the new set.

Thunder Mountain is my favorite looking map. I love the stormy look, and the thunder adds a lot to the atmosphere. I'm a little mixed on this map though. I want to like it, but it was a little confusing to play. I might just need more time with it.

Haven't had a chance to play coldfront yet. Just from running around it for a bit, it seems kind of small and a little too flat and horizontal. It makes the map seem like it might be boring to play.

Javaman

Volcynika said:
Well it's the natural progression of TF2 class updates.

"Wonder what it'll be"
"Wow those items look so cool!"
"Yeah I see people using those items!"
"......what, these items are completely overpowered"
"Fix it, Valve!"

It's a bit depressing knowing that there won't be any more class updates to look forward to. Sure there'll probably be maps and occasional hats and weapons, but no more major updates to look forward to. <pours out 40oz>

I'm not a fan of wrangler or the new "mini" sentries at all. The former is going to be almost useless in pushing back individual ubered targets and it's hard to gauge corner shots.

Yay, I can crap out a weakling level 1 sentry. So lame. I might like it a more if you could use the right click while melee is equipped and do 2 of them.

Moving sentries is huge. Not only can you have a level 3 built quickly right in the middle of the fight, you can also carry a full load of ammo to keep it stocked up. People will really need to keep their eyes open for that thing going up otherwise it's going to dominate the front-lines.

Lumine

Aww, this is it? I'm glad it's finally out, but after so long and so much teasing I can't be the only one who expected slightly more. I was hoping for at least a bunch of (community) items for the other classes and maybe a new mode. Ah well. :p

By the way, does anyone know if any of the new engineer items are craftable? I mean, other than just random through the slot token, but rather like the recent community weapons?

Javaman

Lumine said:
Aww, this is it? I'm glad it's finally out, but after so long and so much teasing I can't be the only one who expected slightly more. I was hoping for at least a bunch of (community) items for the other classes and maybe a new mode. Ah well. :p

By the way, does anyone know if any of the new engineer items are craftable? I mean, other than just random through the slot token, but rather like the recent community weapons?

IIRC the glove is craftable with the ambassador and a scrap metal. It's not worth it though since you get it after the first achievement celebration. Valve did a good job with these achievements. Most are actually useful to the team unlike the <cough>medic<cough>

Lumine said:

The Southern Hospitality(new community wrench) is craftable.

Scrap Metal + Ambassador = SH

MNC

Lumine said:

No, except for the community wrench. You can craft that with ambassador + some metal.

Also, polycount pack will come soon and that will bring a bunch of things. Can't wait for some spiffy hats!

Edit: Beaten like a donkey in red dead redemption.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Javaman said:
Valve did a good job with these achievements. Most are actually useful to the team unlike the <cough>medic<cough>
Yep. Before I got joined you server, I was just playing on a 32-player map and ended up getting 16 achievements from the insane engie games. It wasn't as bad you'd expect.

And I wouldn't be too depressed about this being the last class to finally get an update. Valve will probably cook up more event-type updates (like for Halloween). And now that the Engineer is out of the way, they have more freedom to focus on whatever they want since there's no expectations as to what the next update is.

We're still missing some "Meet the..." videos and there's also the back story!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
What I would've preferred...

1. Frontier shotgun is fine. But should be mini crits. I saw 7 Revenge Crits built up in my shotgun. That is FREAKIN insane if you're guaranteed crits like that.

I believe that's the idea behind the limited clip. It does give the Engie a very powerful tool to play in the front lines with, but I want to see it during standard play outside of this insane environment.

Kuro Madoushi said:
2. Have a different set of build plans linked to another wrench. Buildings can't be upgraded either, but are movable. OR if you guys are DEAD SET on keeping this movable building shit then I say this: Make it so that ONLY lvl 3 buildings can be moved, and they transform into lvl 1 buildings when rebuilt. You're still walking slower and can't attack while carrying it.

Moving a level 1 only would be next to pointless, and even more so if it had to be a level 3 first. A better solution would be to make you move slower (much slower) carrying a leveled up gun, or limit it to level 2 guns, with level 3 locked in place.

Kuro Madoushi said:
4 No wrangler...PERIOD.

Wrangler definitely changes the game more than any other weapon in the update.. the ability to 'snipe' with a sentry.. to rocket blast corners on command, to spy check.. it's so lovely. We'll know soon just how broken it is..

Boonoo

Javaman said:
L4d2 1/2

Naw, they've said that the TF2 team is all hopped up on new things to add and whatnot. I think we'll be getting tf2 updates for a while more yet.

-___- my avatar moves too fast on Firefox. I've really only ever seen it on Chrome. I'll have to work on that.

Fun times yesterday

The achievement grinding was fun in a masochistic way. the confusion was hilarious at times.

I thought the gameplay would be unbalanced with the new abilities, but then playing the old maps didn't turn out that different. I'm likin it!

I can't quite decide what's the biggest game-changer: the Wrangler, or the ability to move stuff. Definitely one of the funnest updates.

Remy

Given how achievement grinding normally goes, yesterday was about as good as it could have gotten. The fact that we managed to get everyone on the server the same 5-7 cheesemints is a level of coordination I haven't seen on the pub grind servers.

That said, I can't understand people who kept complaining that they didn't know where they were when there were at least 4-6 maps posted around the level. And it's not THAT big.

Only thought on the patch: the unlock progression seems weird to me. The Gunslinger gets unlocked second, but there are (as best I can tell) no achievements that require it. You would think it would unlock last, given the quantity of Wrangler ones...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It had been so long since I played TF2. I'm sure it was because some of the people in there had great microphones, but I was amazed at the sound quality that it was coming out as. It was like listening to people in the same room.

Of the 3 or 4 maps I played, I think I only remembered 1 of them. The other are brand new to me.

I'll play more, last night was pretty fun.

Remy

dorkimoe said:
Do the hats or the mercenary badges do anything or are they just for show?

Oh, hats DO something, all right.

Hats: The Ultimate Status Symbol said:
Throughout history, men have worn hats as a way of showing how much better they are than other men. “I buy hats,” a behatted man seems to say. “I am better than you.”
In wartime, hats were a useful way of conferring rank, and ensuring that casualties were confined to the lower classes
(hence the famous command of “Don't fire till you see the tops of their heads” at the Battle of Bunker Hill by William Prescott, a general renowned for only shooting enemy combatants who were poor).
During peacetime, hats have been instrumental for men to let the non-hatted know just who is wearing the hat around here.

Won

Man, Hightower is a map that goes on and on and on....like the Police Academy movies.
Kinda sucks....like the Police Academy movies.

Blizzard

Banned
zero margin said:
Quick stupid noob question, I've been playing medic and what is the benefit of having it overcharged?
Do you mean the ubercharge? If the uber (or kritzkrieg) reaches 100%, you can right click and either give the person you're healing invincibility (if you're using the normal medigun), or 100% critical hits (if you're using the kritzkrieg).

If you mean overhealing, then if you keep healing the same person until their health pulses or whatever, you can get up to 150% of their total health if I'm not mistaken, though it goes back down if you stop healing them. This is nice to say, get a heavy up to 450 hitpoints before he goes into a dangerous area. I think fully-charged sniper headshots do exactly 450 damage to counter this, unfortunately. :p

Sciz

Blizzard said:
Do you mean the ubercharge? If the uber (or kritzkrieg) reaches 100%, you can right click and either give the person you're healing invincibility (if you're using the normal medigun), or 100% critical hits (if you're using the kritzkrieg).
Note that ubercharges (though not kritzkriegs) affect both your target and yourself. It also takes a second to wear off when you stop healing, so it's possible to juggle it between two targets at once.

Blizzard said:
This is nice to say, get a heavy up to 450 hitpoints before he goes into a dangerous area. I think fully-charged sniper headshots do exactly 450 damage to counter this, unfortunately. :p
Your poofy yellow hat just makes your head that much more fun to drop a bullet into.

firex

Won said:
Man, Hightower is a map that goes on and on and on....like the Police Academy movies.
Kinda sucks....like the Police Academy movies.
Any map named after Steve Harvey can't be that good.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:

If you mean overhealing, then if you keep healing the same person until their health pulses or whatever, you can get up to 150% of their total health if I'm not mistaken, though it goes back down if you stop healing them. This is nice to say, get a heavy up to 450 hitpoints before he goes into a dangerous area. I think fully-charged sniper headshots do exactly 450 damage to counter this, unfortunately. :p

I remember headshotting, doing 450 damage to a buffed heavy and he still lived through it for whatever reason....maybe chocolate as well?

Blizzard

Banned
Wren said:
Mini Sentries have been fixed. So sad.
Even after farming the items I never used them. ;(

Kuro Madoushi said:
I remember headshotting, doing 450 damage to a buffed heavy and he still lived through it for whatever reason....maybe chocolate as well?
I am extremely doubtful since as far as I know it's literally impossible. Chocolate does not stack with the medic, I'm almost certain, and it strikes me as kind of annoying/useless for that reason (plus it doesn't heal much, plus you can't feed it to your medic).

Remy

After reading the patch notes, I'm glad I got the Heavy Metal cheesemint last night. It sure did seem to be flying by rather quickly!

firex

I like the new sandvich. Can actually throw it away and get a new one without having to uh... I don't even know what would make me get a new one sometimes, because it was either hitting a weapon locker or grabbing a big ammo pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom