• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
firex said:
I like the new sandvich. Can actually throw it away and get a new one without having to uh... I don't even know what would make me get a new one sometimes, because it was either hitting a weapon locker or grabbing a big ammo pickup.
Hitting a medkit or med bottle or giant medkit at full health would all give you a sandvich if I am not mistaken. It was nice because if you were a smart heavy and remembered, you could instantly do 50% healing if you tossed a sandvich when you saw a medkit coming up. If you needed more than 50% healing then you could eat it normally, but the instant healing is nice (and nice for medics).

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bah...then I ought to record my plays more. I was pretty freakin surprised myself

"WTF?! I headshot a fatty with 100% scope, cause 450 dmg, and he's STILL ALIVE?!"

Loam

Lyphen said:
I'm not enjoying the Wrangler as much as I thought I would. :\
The wrangler gunslinger is a cool concept but it really needs a buff or at least some tweaking.

For starters I wish you could throw down sentries with mouse two while using any weapon with it it equipped, or at least while your in robo hand mode. Having to bring up the toolbox in the middle of a fight is a real hassle when you have to out run and gun your opponent.

I also think the thing should give you some kind of speed boost. The hand advertises that it should be used to rack up combos thus granting a crit, however attacking someone head on with a melee weapon isn't viable because your to slow to close the distance before being gunned down. Then even if you manage to get the jump on someone heavier classes will just gun you down before your third hit, and lighter ones will simply back peddle and out run/gun you.

Sentries are also a bit too weak if you ask me. Anyone coming around a corner can one shot them before they do any real damage, and they'll still be destroyed before they can fully deploy if you throw them down in the middle of a fight despite their increased build speed. I think they should either get a small buff to damage or maybe have a temporary health increase while deploying.
If you wanted to get really crazy I would love to be able to deploy multiple mini sentries at once (2 - 3 at max) without any tinkering. You could bait someone into destroying one you just dropped only to have them be shot in the back from a sentry you placed awhile ago.

-Edited for my own incompetence.

Loam

Kulock said:
Wrangler is the laser-guide for the Sentry, not the robot hand. That's the Gunslinger.

You have no idea how shocked I am right now that I've been referring to these things backwards in-game since their release. :lol

gasp1.gif

My face when I realized the engie wears a glove over the gunslinger when its not equipped.

rar

Wren said:
For starters I wish you could throw down sentries with mouse two while using any weapon with it it equipped, or at least while your in robo hand mode. Having to bring up the toolbox in the middle of a fight is a real hassle when you have to out run and gun your opponent.

just curious, do you use default keyboard binds?

Good games on the GAF server tonight, played perfectly well even with a just sub 120 ping from the UK. Now it's super late/early and I really need some sleep :lol

Loam

rar said:
just curious, do you use default keyboard binds?

I have a few tweaks but nothing super fancy. Only thing worth noting is that I turned auto reload on and bound my primary weapons to more accessible keys. E - Melee, Q - Secondary, and M3 - Primary. Why? Is there something blatantly obvious I'm missing again?

I was actually talking to someone on a server earlier about placing sentries with the gunslinger and they mentioned that they managed to bind a script to one of their excess mouse buttons that puts them directly into build mode.

Blizzard

Banned
Wren said:
I have a few tweaks but nothing super fancy. Only thing worth noting is that I turned auto reload on and bound my primary weapons to more accessible keys. E - Melee, Q - Secondary, and M3 - Primary. Why? Is there something blatantly obvious I'm missing again?

I was actually talking to someone on a server earlier about placing sentries with the gunslinger and they mentioned that they managed to bind a script to one of their excess mouse buttons that puts them directly into build mode.
I assume you could do it with a couple of commands and maybe a delay, though I think some servers don't allow the delay command due to scripts for decloaking and backstabs or whatever. Just don't try it with commands involving crafting after what happened to Drunken Fool. :p

celebi23

So, when I enter the server's IP address, it says "No internet games responded to this query." Any ideas? Not sure if it matters but, I'm on a Mac. Would be nice to finally play on Gaf's server :lol

profit

Played a bit on the GAF server (yesterday-today? I live in europe so cant tell time well) a few hours ago, was fun although my ping was a bit high. Had some fun ubers with drKirby though :D

Sciz

celebi23 said:
So, when I enter the server's IP address, it says "No internet games responded to this query." Any ideas? Not sure if it matters but, I'm on a Mac. Would be nice to finally play on Gaf's server :lol
I've been having problems with it being unresponsive to connection queries for a few seconds lately. Keep trying.

Or just friend someone, follow them in, and favorite it from there.

profit said:
Played a bit on the GAF server (yesterday-today? I live in europe so cant tell time well) a few hours ago, was fun although my ping was a bit high. Had some fun ubers with drKirby though :D
Didn't think I recognized the name. Howdy.

Boonoo

celebi23 said:

Just add it to favorites using the IP, then enter through the favorite tab.

celebi23

Sciz said:
I've been having problems with it being unresponsive to connection queries for a few seconds lately. Keep trying.

Or just friend someone, follow them in, and favorite it from there.

Been trying for the last half hour (off and on) & I keep getting the same results.

Boonoo said:
Just add it to favorites using the IP, then enter through the favorite tab.

That's exactly how I'm trying to add the IP address. I get the "No internet games responded to this query." error when trying to add the IP address in the favorite's tab. Really not sure what's causing the problem.

edit:

Nevermind, my favorites just showed up :lol I'll join in on the fun in a few :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
profit said:
Heh, and I had fun playing with the Flare Gun when the room was full, got half way to the Attention Giver Achievement. I don't know how much damage it does, but I can be assured that it at least must be annoying to randomly get lit on fire. And there is not much else I can do when I am surprised with the fire from 7 sentries. Well, I could change classes, but I am enjoying playing as a Pyro :lol

Love having the Achievement for the Flare gun in the HUD also, since I know it got a hit when I get a ding. Wish there was a way to keep the ding sound after the achievement is done

Drkirby said:
Heh, and I had fun playing with the Flare Gun when the room was full, got half way to the Attention Giver Achievement. I don't know how much damage it does, but I can be assured that it at least must be annoying to randomly get lit on fire. And there is not much else I can do when I am surprised with the fire from 7 sentries. Well, I could change classes, but I am enjoying playing as a Pyro :lol

Love having the Achievement for the Flare gun in the HUD also, since I know it got a hit when I get a ding. Wish there was a way to keep the ding sound after the achievement is done

Go to Options>Multiplayer>Advanced

There will be a big list of checkboxes, find the one that will display damage on hits - I think that's the one you want. If not there should be another, the way I have mine setup it dings every time I hit along with the amount of damage popping up over their head.

Donos

Played 2 hours orange maps yesterday. was interested in engi but ended up playing 2 hours straight demoman wrecking stuff.good times. at least orange is way more dynamic now (ok both teams had like 6-7 engies :lol )

derFeef

Donos said:
Played 2 hours orange maps yesterday. was interested in engi but ended up playing 2 hours straight demoman wrecking stuff.good times. at least orange is way more dynamic now (ok both teams had like 6-7 engies :lol )
Me too. Ended up on top spot most of the time. Blowing up a nest of 4+ sentrys with lot´s of people around it is awesome.

profit

Sciz said:
Yeh Im not that of an active poster on GAF and I dont think I've ever posted in this thread. Werent you the soldier I was cleaning up with in that cp map? Cant think of the name at the moment.

MNC

Won said:
More like he found a better "add-on" for his right arm than a hand with a glove.
But he actually had to saw off his hand, according to Valve. (Blog)
So perhaps, when he found the blueprint, he cut off his hand, put the robot hand on, and when not 'equipped', the glove comes on.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ah, yep, advanced options had just what I wanted, hit ding and also the damage over a target will be nice.

You know, with the spy having a 'Change Disused team' button in options, I wonder if Valve ever plans to add a 3rd or 4th team. There does seem to be anther Mann, as hinted in the updates, maybe he will come in and want the land or to stop the fighting.

rar

Wren said:

to do this you have to put this script into engineer.cfg in your tf/cfg folder, and change the Z, X, etc into whatever key or mouse button you want to put it to. this script will then execute every time you change to engineer, and each button will take out the building directly skipping the toolbox. the problem is if you want to use those buttons for another command when playing another class you need to put those binds in the other class specific files. for instance, for spy i use these same buttons for specific disguises and for everything else they're bound to voice commands.

bind Z "build 2 0"
bind X "build 0 0"
bind C "build 1 0"
bind V "build 1 1"

(order is sentry, dispenser, entrance, exit)

scripting Guide
bindable keys

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PatzCU said:
Do any of you make class specific headgear or find it a waste of a lot of metal?
Well, when you get a bunch of duplicate weapons, there really isn't anything you can do with them, so eventully you will ether just drop them, or you can turn them into every hat ever.

MNC

Drkirby said:
Ah, yep, advanced options had just what I wanted, hit ding and also the damage over a target will be nice.

You know, with the spy having a 'Change Disused team' button in options, I wonder if Valve ever plans to add a 3rd or 4th team. There does seem to be anther Mann, as hinted in the updates, maybe he will come in and want the land or to stop the fighting.
Change disused team? Wuzzat do?

Oreoleo

MNC said:
Change disused team? Wuzzat do?
I think he meant "disguised" as in you can switch between red and blue disguises as spy regardless of which team you're on.

barnone said:
Anyone else having trouble getting the payload cart glow effect to work?

I haven't seen the effect yet either :/

Loam

rar said:
to do this you have to put this script into engineer.cfg in your tf/cfg folder, and change the Z, X, etc into whatever key or mouse button you want to put it to. this script will then execute every time you change to engineer, and each button will take out the building directly skipping the toolbox. the problem is if you want to use those buttons for another command when playing another class you need to put those binds in the other class specific files. for instance, for spy i use these same buttons for specific disguises and for everything else they're bound to voice commands.

bind Z "build 2 0"
bind X "build 0 0"
bind C "build 1 0"
bind V "build 1 1"

(order is sentry, dispenser, entrance, exit)

scripting Guide
bindable keys

Wow fantastic. Ill set them up when I get some time. Thanks for the info.

Dresden

This update is fantastic!

I don't have the Wrangler yet, but the Frontier Justice+Gunslinger is good stuff. The added health isn't very noticeable, but mini sentries are fun to use and it's easy to devastate people with crit shotgun blasts to the face.

I've gone back to the pyro for now, simply because of the overabundance of engineers everywhere, but when it dies down I'll hop back on the engi. Feels so mobile now.

firex

I crafted Southern Hospitality even though it's kind of shitty, just because I had spare stuff. It's not terrible but it needs a much stronger positive than making people bleed considering no crits + 20% fire damage taken.

Oh well, I might play soldier until the engineer madness dies down. I don't really like engineer that much anyway and playing a lan game with bots screwed up my stats since I got like 187 points in one life on dustbowl.

barnone

firex said:
I crafted Southern Hospitality even though it's kind of shitty, just because I had spare stuff. It's not terrible but it needs a much stronger positive than making people bleed considering no crits + 20% fire damage taken.

Oh well, I might play soldier until the engineer madness dies down. I don't really like engineer that much anyway and playing a lan game with bots screwed up my stats since I got like 187 points in one life on dustbowl.

I think the fire vulnerability affects those you hit, not yourself (unless I'm confused). I just crafted it tonight but didn't use it.

Sloegr

barnone said:
I think the fire vulnerability affects those you hit, not yourself (unless I'm confused). I just crafted it tonight but didn't use it.

The fire vulnerability affects the person wielding the weapon.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A big Australian custom map server was resurrected for some fun shens, much to my delight. The only problem is a new admin on there seems to be a bit of a douche :lol

Sciz said:
My first random hat drop: Professional's Panama
My second random hat drop: Trophy Belt
And tonight, my third random hat drop: Bloke's Bucket Hat

I am not that good of a sniper Valve, what do you want from me D:
Yeah that sucks really bad. My 2nd random hat was a Viking helmet so I was extremely happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom