• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Pretty much. I still think Egypt 1 is the worse out of the maps so far. That second CP is just too much of a pain in the ass to capture unless you play with some really good medics but that's hard to find.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
derFeef said:
Pfft..Engies...

1 Medic and a Demoman is the ultimate offense if they know what the're doing.
Pretty much. It takes two stickies to destroy everything you built. When I play it, normally there are at least 2 or 3 Demos each with their exclusive medic. Terrible fucking map that gives far too much to demo spam. Which is already the most unbalanced part of the game. It's like the last point in Hydro.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
derFeef said:
Pfft..Engies...

1 Medic and a Demoman is the ultimate offense if they know what the're doing.

and... 1 pyro trumps a good demo if they some what know what they're doing.

Also, does anyone else have recent ping issues on F7? I cannot play there anymore because my ping has increased by at least 50, starting last week. Lots of warping going on.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yeah, Uber Demos on Egypt are fine until you run into Pyros. You need Heavies out in front first killing the Pyros to even have a chance, and because (say the third map in Egypt) is so wide open, the Demoman will never destroy every sentry.

I know it sounds pro to say 'lol Demo-Medic destroys everything lol sentries' though.

derFeef

EvilMario said:
Yeah, Uber Demos on Egypt are fine until you run into Pyros. You need Heavies out in front first killing the Pyros to even have a chance, and because (say the third map in Egypt) is so wide open, the Demoman will never destroy every sentry.

I know it sounds pro to say 'lol Demo-Medic destroys everything lol sentries' though.
To be honest, every strategy discussion is just weird because there are so much things going on on a full pub tf2 server. You just can not say what will work and what wont. You may have an idea and a plan, but it mostly turns out completely different.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:

Pfft. Put me on def as med with uber and a decent pyro and it's game over. My issue is that it's just TOO easy to defend. There are only two areas to attack from: Front and Side.

Front, can be covered by mere spam and bodies alone. Sentry guns will hit you practically anywhere. To get TO the sentry guns is a pain in the neck since it's near their spawn and behind those stupid boxes.

Side, sentry guns that already cover the front also cover the side. Everyone knows about and uses the side entrances to sneak attack. Engies can't build up on the other side since it's not protected.

Although I don't like the new maps, one thing I DO like is how there are 3 ways to attack a position for every point. There's just enough there for an attacking team to take down a decent defense.

Jason, ping issues were because of their update to their own servers. People were getting disconnected and not able to get reconnected in the past few days. SHOULD be clear now, but you never know.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I have no opinion on cold front since I only played it twice. There's a lot of ambush areas for pyros so I really liked that but it's kind of hard to find a good point to be a sniper since it's easy for enemies to sneak around back and backstab you.

Won

Coldfront is a bit too much by the numbers imo. It's pretty much Granary with a bit of Badlands mixed in at the last points.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
rar said:
do you like any push maps? if you don't like those, you wouldn't like coldfront
I guess not. It seems that I only like King of the Hill, Payload, and Attack/Defend.

I may warm up to Capture the Flag, but I can at least say I hate 2Fort.

I've never played Cold Front, not even once. I blame everyone except the one other person who voted for it as well.
Didn't help that for the first few days the map wasn't on the cycle.

I am a bit surprised more people didn't do what I did and just find servers hosting them, and play all 4 maps when they first came out.

I like Upward a lot, and Thunder Mountain is pretty fun to. I also really like Hightower, but it seems a lot of people hate that map.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I like hightower too, but it could use some a little bit more work to make it great (or in other people's mind, playable). I'm ambivalent towards Upward. Thundermountain I like, but haven't played the third stage all that much.

Next update I hope they include panic.

Helmholtz

I love upward, definitely my favorite map at the moment. Not a big fan of Hightower, and thunder mountain is alright. Cold front is a pretty straightforward 5cp map, and it's fun, but many of the times I've played on it have resulted in stalemates where it takes forever for a team to win.

Cheeto

Egypt was out for months before I realized there were more stages after the first... the map is so terribly designed that I didn't see Blu win the first stage in months.

derFeef

I hate instaspawn so much, yet my friends only play this. They really love the deathmatch around the non-moving cart. I will never understand this.

Javaman

Cheeto said:
Egypt was out for months before I realized there were more stages after the first... the map is so terribly designed that I didn't see Blu win the first stage in months.

Despite my dislike for the map, I would probably enjoy it a lot if they simply rebalanced it a bit. Maybe a longer spawn at CP2 for red and a little more protection for building on Blue offensive. Then again, with the movable engineer stuff maybe blue stands a better chance now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Love finding quotes like this from old updates:
Since their discovery in 1895, hills have fascinated kings.

:lol

Also, any sugestions to game songs I should add to my lineup in Half Life DJ? Other then a few tunes to play when we lose, and a couple more victory chimes, I only added Snowman from the Mother Series.

Javaman

Drkirby said:
Also, any sugestions to game songs I should add to my lineup in Half Life DJ? Other then a few tunes to play when we lose, and a couple more victory chimes, I only added Snowman from the Mother Series.

Less is more. ;P

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Javaman said:
Less is more. ;o)
Oh come on, 4 songs is not enough variety :lol

I still like how the a random guy asked whats with the nerd music, I responded there was no nerd music, and started playing the Metal Gear Solid Theme

TP

Im sure some of you will find this exciting

5z44lv.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Man, I was going to wait on Alien Swarm until I finally finished Dragon Age and Witcher, but...hats... :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I was going to play Alien Swarm tonight anyway... now I just need to make sure I finish 2 coop maps. :lol

I am such a hat whore. :(

Where's Episode 3, so we can get a headcrab hat... Alien Swarm hat looks similar in the icon, but I want Lamarr!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
EvilMario said:

I would say if pyros are constantly getting close to the demo man, something is wrong with the demo man(Or team) on Egypt. They should be able to wreck some shit pretty easily till the 3 stage, 2nd point.

Not to say the map is any good, it's a terrible map. But it's well suited for demos/medic combo.

commissar

Update available 103.7MB
Valve said:
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2
Added a Parasite hat to celebrate the release of Alien Swarm (http://www.alienswarm.com/)
Fixed a client crash when opening the backpack while running in a language other than English.
Fixed not being able to pick-up buildings in Arena mode.
Fixed an exploit that allowed team kills with Wrangled sentries.
Fixed a bug where teleporters could be given more than their normal amount of health.
Fixed old demos with different data tables thinking the SourceTV player entity was burning.
TF Bot Changes
Improved performance of bot computations that are done when a point is captured, a round starts, or a checkpoint reached.
Fixed Engineer bot infinite build-destroy behavior loop regression
Fixed Medic bots losing their charge if they touch a resupply cabinet
Fixed a crash due to having multiple types of bot systems running in-game simultaneously
Fixed bot behavior issue resulting in bot pile-ups near level 3 teleporter entrances
Bots no longer consider sapped sentries a dangerous threat
Bots will not try to navigate through enemy spawn rooms (unless they have won the round)
Bot Engineers will avoid building teleporters on steep slopes which can hinder teammate movement
Added tf_bot_pyro_always_reflect cvar. Set to 1 to make Pyro bots always reflect projectiles, regardless of difficulty level.

Wallach

SalsaShark said:
did the alien swarm achievement and no hat yet

damn you!

Did you go into a TF2 game and get killed? You receive it as a drop in-game like other items after you unlock the achievement.

Twig

Banned
That parasite thingamajigger isn't a limited thing, is it? I can get it any time? (On vacation now. Rather not play Alien Swarm on my shitty laptop and waste vacation time. (Wouldn't bother if I had to, anyway.))

rhfb said:
koth_harvest fucking sucks. Why do people vote for it?
rhfb fucking sucks. Why does he post?

Boonoo said:
My favorites list got deleted D:
Now I have to hunt around for ip addresses. Bah
You sure you're not just being a total tard and accidentally set some filter so that none of your favorites list shows up?

i have done this and not noticed for up to two weeks

MNC

How the fuck can anybody hate harvest. It's one of the few newer maps that remain awesome throughout. The latest batch of maps is pretty cool as well (thundermountain,hightower et al)

Don't really care for most community maps, like steel or coldfront.

Volcynika

Twig said:
That parasite thingamajigger isn't a limited thing, is it? I can get it any time? (On vacation now. Rather not play Alien Swarm on my shitty laptop and waste vacation time. (Wouldn't bother if I had to, anyway.))

rhfb fucking sucks. Why does he post?

You sure you're not just being a total tard and accidentally set some filter so that none of your favorites list shows up?

Sorry. Hat was only available yesterday. Now it's unattainable!

If you took this seriously, you're a nub.

Don't really care for most community maps, like steel or coldfront.

BooThisMan.gif

Twig

Banned
Volcynika said:
Sorry. Hat was only available yesterday. Now it's unattainable!

If you took this seriously, you're a nub.
I never take anything you say seriously.

Which puts me in a sort of cat/buttered toast situation, at the moment. I don't know what to do ahhhhhh!

moojito

I've just started playing this game again. Up to a whopping 10 hours played! I tried to get my spy on, but I think you need to be a bit more familiar with the game than I am to get the best out of that class. Sneaking up behind a bunch of folk facing the other way and taking down 3-4 at once is a lot of fun, though!

My goal in the game so far is to obtain the "modest pile of hat" since that's the coolest name I've ever heard :D

Is pyro still a good class for a newbie to go with? I tried medic, but unless there's a heavy on the team, everyone seems to go from full -> dead instantly regardless of whether I'm healing them or not.

Boonoo

Twig said:

I had hoped for tarddome, but nope. I added a few of them again last night, and now those are in there. The rest are all gone, though.

Proven

rhfb said:
koth_harvest fucking sucks. Why do people vote for it?
I used to hate harvest too. Felt it was too open for scouts, sniper haven, not bad for spies, and a number of other things. Honestly, Scouts can rip that place up, and it gets on my nerves at times.

However, because of the control point providing a modest amount of cover, a Heavy/Medic combo can thrive there. There aren't many places for Soldiers and Demos to get height advantage, but the places that are there are very good but also not too difficult to shoot them off of, even on the ground. Because of the rocket jumps to take roofs and the Scouts and Spies roaming about, it's a very good map for offensive engineering, and whenever I didn't have enough support to play Medic or Heavy, that's what I'd proceed to do to great effect. Now I need to try it again now that the Engie update has hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom