• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Confidence Man said:
The only community weapon I don't care for is the soldier one. The others I find are pretty useful more often than not.
I'll occasionally switch to the paintrain, especially on koth maps.

Boonoo

perryfarrell said:
Yeah, my understanding is that these polycount packs are just ways of making existing weapons look cool.

But I could be wrong.

From the blog post.

Unluckily for them, we're also going to attach gameplay attributes (probably of a game destroying nature) to these items, sullying their perfect work with our clumsy attempts at game design. Anyway, enough mucking about, head over and see who won!

firex

Blizzard said:
Just wondering, what made you stop playing pyro? The damage and burntime reduction? I think they un-nerfed it a little, and there's the airblast boost. Not to mention the new flamethrower which I'm sure will be awesome (or useless). :p
No, I just got bored of pyro gameplay after 60 or so hours. I prefer to play heavy/soldier now and be closer to the action.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
firex said:
No, I just got bored of pyro gameplay after 60 or so hours. I prefer to play heavy/soldier now and be closer to the action.

Indeed, I've been over '70 hours' on Pyro for months.. creeping over 75 hours now. It's such a situational class in most cases, especially on servers with 24, or more people you're going to lose a lot of 1v1 match ups.

There are certain maps however that lend themselves to Airblasting people into pits, and tight corners for ambushing.

The hours I've stuck into recently with Pyro though are defensive with the Home wrecker. It's incredible now being able to Spy check and knock sappers off, all while Airblasting Ubers away. The problem with it is, most people don't want to sit back and score very few points playing that very effective team game.

And people are all about the points.

firex

The other thing for me is I got bored of playing an online shooter and not having much stuff to shoot with as pyro. I kind of prefer the straightforward nature of soldier/heavy as opposed to having to take the sneakier route as a pyro. And if I want to take the sneakier route I just play spy, because it feels more rewarding even though dead ringer is still really overpowered.

But I'm weird. Sniper is my favorite choice of weapon in L4D2, but it's my least favorite class in TF2. I think I just hate how it feels getting sniped, so I don't like to do it to other players. And that whole wanting to be in the action thing.

Yasae

Banned
EvilMario said:
Indeed, I've been over '70 hours' on Pyro for months.. creeping over 75 hours now. It's such a situational class in most cases, especially on servers with 24, or more people you're going to lose a lot of 1v1 match ups.

There are certain maps however that lend themselves to Airblasting people into pits, and tight corners for ambushing.

The hours I've stuck into recently with Pyro though are defensive with the Home wrecker. It's incredible now being able to Spy check and knock sappers off, all while Airblasting Ubers away. The problem with it is, most people don't want to sit back and score very few points playing that very effective team game.

And people are all about the points.
Dustbowl. 70 points of defense from pyro. I think my ratio was less than 1.

Javaman

Yasae said:

I love hanging out at the top of the steps on CP2 defense and airblasting the ubers, heavies, and medics into the valley below when they come through the door.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yasae said:

Yeah, Stage 1 and Stage 3 of Dustbowl are nearly impossible with good Pyro support. The choke points on 1 just lend themselves so easily to holding them in the staircase, or flying back toward the tunnels. And three is tough enough to reach the sentries even without Pyros.

The other situation where I'll use the Pyro a lot is Arena mode. Offblast is surrounded by a steep cliff on the entire level. It's common to Airblast a handful of people off the ledge easily if they're just strolling around, or if a Heavy/Medic decide to fight, they'll quickly find the bottom of the pit.

Nucleus and Lumberyard both have great knock off points as well. Not to mention Afterburn is sort critical in Arena, especially if their Medic(s) or Dispensers are down. I sure wish GAF would have an Arena night!

Yasae

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
:lol

Though I do get angry at those who are ungrateful. By all means, if they're so good, they don't need my help at all. Players shatter at their mere sight. Sentries deconstruct at the whisper of their name on the breeze. Control Points capture themselves; payloads move forward at the flick of their wrist; briefcases warp into their possession.

I just... Haven't seen a player where this is the case... Thus making their complaining seem really spoiled rotten.

okay

on coldfront

if the final cap is like 99% captured and you're a soldier with 90% of your health and you're literally a pixel away from the point, don't fucking turn around and run away and die because "you're getting shot at"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EmCeeGramr said:
okay

on coldfront

if the final cap is like 99% captured and you're a soldier with 90% of your health and you're literally a pixel away from the point, don't fucking turn around and run away and die because "you're getting shot at"
No, the proper thing to do is to taunt just outside of the capture point.

Sciz

VendettaXXI said:
PC noob here!

I just got a new rig this evening and now getting games for it. TF2 is on the top of the list but I have never dealt with servers or anything like that before through Steam.

Any advice for the newbie? :D
Buy the Orange Box immediately.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I finally got a hat drop, the demo afro. A class i never use :lol

So it looks like the engineer update is slowing down, certainly not many engineers on a team at all these days, I think i'm usually the only one.

Is anyone else playing engineer like an attacking class? I run around shooting people and dropping mini sentries where no one expects them. Payload maps seem to be the best fun, gold rush in particular. I always make sure i have a level 3 sentry pushing the guys forward.

It's so much fun when it works. When it doesn't then it's shit and i switch back to solder or sniper :lol

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Orellio said:
Drops have actually been pretty decent lately IMO.

Edit: unless you mean something else by "item system"
I'm actually surprised that I'm finally getting close to crafting my first hat. Either the drop rate has been increased or I'm just getting luckier.

Proven

evlcookie said:
I finally got a hat drop, the demo afro. A class i never use :lol

So it looks like the engineer update is slowing down, certainly not many engineers on a team at all these days, I think i'm usually the only one.

Is anyone else playing engineer like an attacking class? I run around shooting people and dropping mini sentries where no one expects them. Payload maps seem to be the best fun, gold rush in particular. I always make sure i have a level 3 sentry pushing the guys forward.

It's so much fun when it works. When it doesn't then it's shit and i switch back to solder or sniper :lol

My favorite classes in the game have always been Medic, Engie, and Pyro. Pyro feels weaker (or I've just become worst with atrophy and the switch from 360), and Engineer has always had problems getting on the frontline without major support. This meant that A.) My Medic time is about 30 hours higher than it is for any other class and B.) I had to start learning how to play Soldier (although it became 10x more fun for me with the addition of the Buff Banner).

Last night I was able to jump onto the GAF server and just play Frontier Gunslinger. The extra 25 health rocks, and if you get a Medic on your team you join the ranks of classes with over 200 health while overhealed. I just wish dispensers built faster as I pretty much only drop a tele and dispenser when the team's lost momentum for some reason and I wasn't already at the front lines.

It still isn't perfect though. Unless your health can reach 300 with or without overheal, you suck in choke points, so when that happens I have to flank a little. When you get out into an open field like with Gorge and Hightower, it's awesome, and I can even get the feeling of a large scale battle going on, with people teaming up and jumping all over the place.

Also, I really want a Wrangler to get that anti sniper option. My only worry is that my aim sucks in general with burst weapons, and only having the Frontier Justice will probably get me killed against Soldiers. At this point I either wait for the third milestone (which always takes forever for me) or I get an extra engineer drop, rebuild a token, and craft it that way (which I had to do for the Soldier/Demo update).

And Upward is probably my new favorite map, despite the fact that I've only played on it like twice. I still dislike the final point as it's a bit claustrophobic, but there are 3-4 levels of several paths going all through it, making it a much better and more dynamic finale than Badwater. It especially deals with that huge sniper sight line that seems to always end up happening in an attempt to make a cool looking entrance to a fight. Everyone is constantly flanking everywhere.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
VendettaXXI said:
I already have Half Life 2 but I do need everything else :lol Might head out today and find a disc copy. They seem to be cheaper rather than Steam purchase.
Yeah, you may be able to find a boxed version for less.

I find it a bit funny TF2 is the most expensive game of the pack, Half Life 2 has gone down a bunch :lol

Yasae

Banned
Proven said:
Pyro feels weaker (or I've just become worst with atrophy and the switch from 360)[...]
It's still weaker than before the update (and rebalance), but the class has been made somewhat of a defensive powerhouse. You could kill heavies quickly with a little surprise before the update - no backburner, no axestinguisher. The damage increase was really extreme up close.

At no time does the damage output equal what it was before the update. But - the airblast is overpowered, allows for plenty of points on defense, isn't very costly, can be lightly spammed, and is a win button overall. The flare gun is also much more powerful and gives the pyro some long range viability. It can even crit those already on fire for very high amounts of damage - usually 80 points or greater.

I just wish the backburner made the pyro how it used to be offensively. Mini crits against an enemy's back isn't enough of an incentive, and the extra 10% damage still doesn't raise the pyro back to old offensive levels. You also have no airblast (win button), so you're really screwed when there's heavy oppression from the enemy team.

EDIT: And high ping with a pyro is annoying. You'll get hit for 125 damage from an opposing pyro before you're in visible range for an airblast. They consistently get a time advantage. Then there are those horribly laggy times where your flame clips through a soldier or heavy or medic for several seconds and never sets them on fire.

Just started playing again...wow there's been alot added since i last played.

I've joined the steam group and will hop on the server next time im playing, used to play on the Feared Gamers Server all the time but it got closed down after a drop in users :(

Wallach

Yasae said:
I just wish the backburner made the pyro how it used to be offensively. Mini crits against an enemy's back isn't enough of an incentive, and the extra 10% damage still doesn't raise the pyro back to old offensive levels. You also have no airblast (win button), so you're really screwed when there's heavy oppression from the enemy team.

EDIT: And high ping with a pyro is annoying. You'll get hit for 125 damage from an opposing pyro before you're in visible range for an airblast. They consistently get a time advantage. Then there are those horribly laggy times where your flame clips through a soldier or heavy or medic for several seconds and never sets them on fire.

While I agree that the Pyro is probably underpowered (but really it is a class they will always balance around pub play and not comp play), it's actually full crits from behind and +15% damage for the Backburner. Not enough to compensate for the compression blast in the majority of cases, but it has a few uses (particularly the few payload checkpoints that are situated on corners where you can easily get 4+ kills in about 1 second).

As for high ping, one big problem is that the compression blast is not lag compensated like all other projectiles/bullets are. So while the rocket that got fired at you is compensated for the opponent's ping, your compression blast against it won't be and you may take a hit where otherwise it would have been a valid reflection. Aside from that you just have to remember the first hitboxes of your flamethrower jet don't come out exactly in time with the first graphic, so you need to lead the start of your spray a little more than you usually think, especially against the quicker classes.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I officially love the engineer pistol. I've ignored it since day 1 and all of a sudden i'm using it almost exclusively. Should be noted that it can't take down a heavy no matter how hard you try, just get owned :lol

Mini sentries + revenge shotgun + pistol = some of the most fun i've had in TF2 in a long long time.

Now i just need some hats on the fella :D

Slightly cropped from a screenshot I captured at some time or another, I give you my current wallpaper (nearly 1080p size):
deadbluespy.png

Enjoy!

otakuderek

Drkirby said:
Yeah, you may be able to find a boxed version for less.

I find it a bit funny TF2 is the most expensive game of the pack, Half Life 2 has gone down a bunch :lol

That's probably because its the best! :D

Yasae

Banned
Wallach said:
While I agree that the Pyro is probably underpowered (but really it is a class they will always balance around pub play and not comp play), it's actually full crits from behind and +15% damage for the Backburner. Not enough to compensate for the compression blast in the majority of cases, but it has a few uses (particularly the few payload checkpoints that are situated on corners where you can easily get 4+ kills in about 1 second).

As for high ping, one big problem is that the compression blast is not lag compensated like all other projectiles/bullets are. So while the rocket that got fired at you is compensated for the opponent's ping, your compression blast against it won't be and you may take a hit where otherwise it would have been a valid reflection. Aside from that you just have to remember the first hitboxes of your flamethrower jet don't come out exactly in time with the first graphic, so you need to lead the start of your spray a little more than you usually think, especially against the quicker classes.
Good to note. However, the damage ramp up as you get closer to an enemy seems permanently nerfed with either weapon, though the aforementioned tradeoffs almost make it fair.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
The pyro nerf isn't bothering me as much as it used to. The airblast buff pretty much equals it out since any pyro worth his/her salt does the axetinguisher combo so W+M1 has never been something I relied on. I mean, clearly something is going right when I'm whooping Kuro's butt on that payload map :lol

falastini

120+ hours in and I finally got my first(two) hats.... for my least two played classes. First one was a random drop (sniper's Panama hat); second was crafted (scout's newsboy cap). I guess I can see myself putting more time in Sniper, on some maps at least. I still wish I got a hat for my other, more often played, classes.

The pyro nerf isn't bothering me as much as it used to. The airblast buff pretty much equals it out since any pyro worth his/her salt does the axetinguisher combo so W+M1 has never been something I relied on. I mean, clearly something is going right when I'm whooping Kuro's butt on that payload map

Nothing is more satisfying then juggling two Ubered players in the air. They should give you points for that. I miss the backcrits, but I can't live without the airblast anymore.

Hit the 900 hour mark recently. Given that I have over 80% of the achievements in the game I've started actually trying to complete the remaining ones for each class. Started playing Arena just to complete the Scout's achievements, which was a mode I largely avoided. I dabbled with Arena when I first started playing, didn't really like it and then just steered clear from then on out. But just screwwing around trying to get the Scout's First Blood Arena related achievements, I've actually been having a fair bit of fun. There's just a whole different pace and dynamic at work compared to the mayhem and grind of your usual KOTH, CTF, CP, PL and PLR maps that can really change how you play a given class. It's kind of cool actually.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just tried for an hour to get some of the harder Pyro Achievements, I just can't kill anyone with that damn shot gun.

Combined Fire? That should be totally easy given that you'll be in range for the shotgun if you've lit someone up. That should be habit anyways for when a player gets beyond the range of your flame thrower.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
jaundicejuice said:
Combined Fire? That should be totally easy given that you'll be in range for the shotgun if you've lit someone up. That should be habit anyways for when a player gets beyond the range of your flame thrower.
The shotgun is the secondary weapon I always stick with for the most part. Afterall, that's how I got a 40+kill streak on 2fort last year. Most people overlook it.

Blizzard

Banned
I know people seem to dislike Egypt, but I just played it and I believe 3/4 offensive teams won, in some cases easily, and even won after a team scramble by scores.

The last map is probably still hard, and it's hard if the offensive team doesn't have pyros or teleporters though.

Sciz

For a new page:

Server IP: 68.232.178.184:27015

Steam Community group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Neogaf-TF2

Lionheart1337 said:
Egypt is really fun. I play it all the time. Still don't understand where all the hate comes from :lol
It's a little better than it used to be, but there's a lot of residual (and still somewhat justified) hate due to the various points being either facerolls for BLU or nigh-impossible to attack successfully.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Lionheart1337 said:
Egypt is really fun. I play it all the time. Still don't understand where all the hate comes from :lol

Egypt, 32 man server, or not.. Egypt has some pretty tough capture points. It's one of the most spam-able maps out there, and I'd prefer not to play too many maps where choke points are so tight that a Demoman can basically because a grenade tossing station that never moves.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think it is because Medics are so central to Egypt that it is hard to attack and defend on them without a good Medic or two.

There have been way too many times where my Soldier friend would jump on and we'd hold the first cap on the first map with me as Kritz. Conversely, it is quite easy to steamroll the defenders with two good Medics carrying BLU.

Otherwise it tends to simply evolve into a "bashing head against the brickwall" scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom