• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexi

Banned
Zapperkhan said:
I booted up Bioshock on mine last night with a similar set up. (e6750, 2gb 1066 ram, 8800 GTS 640) With all options on high at 1920x1200 and it wouldnt go above 40 walking around :/ Maybe my resolution? I have the latest drivers.

I've got the same gear, but run at 1440x900 and I have similar results, never above 40 in Bioshock, more around 25-30 and I don't do games at those FPS levels.

I think there's a possibility my PSU isn't giving enough juice to my graphics card, I bought a bunch of new parts within the last month and the PSU is the only thing I didn't upgrade from my previous computer.

TF2 runs like a dream though, but I guess it's not as intensive as Bioshock. Looks prettier though, framerate is everything.

Icy

Banned
In the FGD entry for gamemodes we have

0 : "CTF" ct_2fort
1 : "Attack/Defend" cp_gravelpit
2 : "Territory Control" tc_hydro
3 : "Invade" All of the other CP maps currently
4 : "King of the Hill"

1-D_FTW

I'm quitting. I recognized PillowKnight (never on his team). But man, our team kept getting clobbered. The last map was too much. It's the scout rush to the middle CP and the entire other team all chose Scout, versus 2 or 3 of our guys. Needless to say, this pretty much summed it up. Chaos versus teamwork.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Pimpbaa said:
That seems about right (especially if you are running in dx10 mode). Any shader intensive game is going to be very resolution sensitive.

I'm pretty happy with my 19" monitor native res capping at 1440x900, seems to be the performance/looks sweet spot. On my E6750/8800gts 320mb i'm getting anything between 45-100 fps on Bioshock.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
lockii said:
I've got the same gear, but run at 1440x900 and I have similar results, never above 40 in Bioshock, more around 25-30 and I don't do games at those FPS levels.

I think there's a possibility my PSU isn't giving enough juice to my graphics card, I bought a bunch of new parts within the last month and the PSU is the only thing I didn't upgrade from my previous computer.

Check my post, something is definately wrong.

Big-E

Finally got on board a few days ago. God this game is fun. Been using the scout almost exclusively and having a blast.

My TF2 just updated when I started it up and now I can't join servers because they're out of date. No release notes that I know of yet.

Pimpbaa

ghst said:
I'm pretty happy with my 19" monitor native res capping at 1440x900, seems to be the performance/looks sweet spot. On my E6750/8800gts 320mb i'm getting anything between 45-100 fps on Bioshock.

Mine is 1680x1050, a bit too much for my 8800gts 320 sometimes. Thankfully my monitor has excellent scaling.

jtardiou

Banned
yo i just got TF2 and when i try to join the Neogaf server, it says server has older protocol than mine? wtf does that mean

EDIT: btw how do i change my name in the game???

Team Fortress 2 Update Released
October 2, 2007, 6:29 pm - Jason Ruymen

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

* Added "Very High" texture resolution option
* Added "Minimal HUD" option to Options->Multiplayer
* Fixed headshots not always registering for crouched players
* Fixed player interpolation bug that caused jittery player animation in some cases
* Fixed rare crash when players exited water
* Fixed server crash related to Spy sappers
* Fixed overlapping UI elements in Options->Video->Advanced
* Fixed non-English language text overlapping in a few places
* Fixed players being able to use spectator points in dustbowl that were not in play
* Removed "listdeaths" command that could be abused by clients

saelz8

* Added "Very High" texture resolution option
* Added "Minimal HUD" option to Options->Multiplayer
* Fixed headshots not always registering for crouched players

Love it!

: )

saelz8

Someone posted this on SF.
2rxcuba.jpg

Also, the minimal HUD doesn't resize the document locator in the middle. I always found that the most intrusive, I hope they resize that as well.

The Stealth Fox

Very nice... "Top Secret" on the intelligence briefcase doesn't look crappy anymore.

Can anyone get their texture settings to save? It always defaults for me.

lexi

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Ah, so ample time to play then. I caved and pre-ordered, should be playing tonight.

Ample time? When the game officially 'releases' I don't think anything will change, except more people playing.

Uncle AJ

PC upgrade complete! Downloading the Orange Box stuff now; I'll probably have to leave them going overnight.

Steam ID: MoTheHawk

EDIT: Wait, it might actually be warhawk256 (the first half of the e-mail address I used to sign up). That's what it says on my "SteamID" page, anyway. I don't get it; when I signed up for Steam Community, I had to input MoTheHawk. Which one is it?

Holy crap that was fun. Took a bit to get hang of the various classes (sorry, whatever teams I've been on), but the style and general vibe is just plain awesome. And honestly, I think the game is just beautiful.

Zanboo said:
Yeah... it'll go right into release. :lol

You know, I still think it's sometime in September.

TopDreg

Gawd, this game is crazy addictive. I've never enjoyed sniping in a game as much as I have this one. It's been fun playing with all of the NeoGaf guys as well, given that there tends to be at least some team-based play going on.

So, everyone that plays on the server..

Is your in game handle same as on GAF? Mine is.

Just trying to get an idea of who's who.

I LOVE THIS GAME! Haven't had this much fun with a PC game in a long time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, hlstatsx says I've been soldier 106% of the time. Got overtaken in the rocket kills by 11-12 or so, but I also got my Hardcore achievement.

I need to get better at not dying. The killing other people part isn't my problem.

Icy

Banned
Tuesday 10/2/07 Winners!

Architect of Death PillowKnight (264 Most Devices Built..)
Dominator ulcajun (22 Dominates the most..)
Most Caputre Points Defended Cheeto (10 Defender of the Crown)
Revenger Fozzy (5 Gets their revenge..)
Sentry Gun Killa ulcajun (91 Engineer Most Hated)
Best Sentryguns PillowKnight (70 Impervious Machines.)
Best Sniper lybydose (34 Grey Matter For You.)
Crazy Bomber wartime (13 Bouncy Grenades For You)
Dr. DCeath DrPeterVenkman (8 Most Syringe kills)
Fire Spitter Teknopathetic (40 PyroManiac with Kills.)
Fists of Fury (Nobody)
Gunman Eridath (52 Goes Postal with the MG.)
Knife Maniac deca (60 Don't trust this backstabber.)
Soldier of the Day ulcajun (258 Most Explosions)
Sticky Bomber EviL (15 Sticky Grenades For You)

What's with the new point modifiers for the weapons on the neogaf server stats? Melee kills are worth the least now which seems very odd.

Big-E said:
Were you playing on the neogaf server? What are you going as? I would still be playing but my game crashed.

I wasn't actually looking at specific servers, I just jumped into the nearest one. Much to the chagrin of the team I joined I'm sure. I'll look around for a NeoGAF server next time. Do you guys use voice?

peppermints said:
So, everyone that plays on the server..

Is your in game handle same as on GAF? Mine is.

Just trying to get an idea of who's who.

I LOVE THIS GAME! Haven't had this much fun with a PC game in a long time.
I was wondering if you were from NeoGAF after having played with you a couple of times.

Icy

Banned
CrookedRain said:
What's with the new point modifiers for the weapons on the neogaf server stats? Melee kills are worth the least now which seems very odd.

I am playing with values. Its all being reset on 10/10

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Now after Icy gets the PERFECT values for everything...

...are people going to get more points for killing higher ranked people? :D

(Just to be clear, I'm not being entirely serious. I'd prefer it if points were more like in-game score values where killing isn't everything.)

Surfheart

This thread is killing me! The game looks so fun and beautiful. I was going to wait for the 360 version since I'm not sure how well my PC would run it.

Northwood P4@3.5
2GB DDR2
ATi Radeon X1950pro with 512mb
1680x1050 native widescreen.

Would the above specs run it ok at native?

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
Haha, hlstatsx says I've been soldier 106% of the time. Got overtaken in the rocket kills by 11-12 or so, but I also got my Hardcore achievement.

I need to get better at not dying. The killing other people part isn't my problem.

Now that Icy is tracking Kill-Death ratios, I need to do the same thing.

I get a hard-on over something and am determined to get it done (even if it results in a 1:10 kill-death ratio.)

It would definitely help to stick with the group, too. But when the group isn't doing what I'd prefer, I'll go lone wolf on objectives and have some pretty shitty runs.

And then sometimes I just plain suck. Or get on a streak where nobody is guarding against spies and I'm constantly being killed (at which point I switch to Pryo duty.)

jtardiou

Banned
is anybody actually good?

here's something ive noticed good people do:
demos hurt themselves in pre-game (setup part of round, first 30 seconds??) so they can super charge medics asap. im sure this works for soldiers too

i still dont understand how ubercharge works. once it is charged, how do you use it and how long does it last? do u point ur heal-gun and right click at someone to make them invulnerable -- for how long? does it just work on one person? do a lot of ppl do this to get the intel?

what are good strategies to use for engineer entrance/exit posts?

what kind of maps are played competitively?

i dont understand maps like dustbowl. there are 3 parts to the map? once the 3 parts are done, you switch sides (from offense to defense??)

any other tips? good spots to put stickies for demos, good combination of classes, etc

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1-D_FTW said:
Now that Icy is tracking Kill-Death ratios, I need to do the same thing.

I get a hard-on over something and am determined to get it done (even if it results in a 1:10 kill-death ratio.)

It would definitely help to stick with the group, too. But when the group isn't doing what I'd prefer, I'll go lone wolf on objectives and have some pretty shitty runs.

And then sometimes I just plain suck. Or get on a streak where nobody is guarding against spies and I'm constantly being killed (at which point I switch to Pryo duty.)
Heh, I hear you. I think my main problem is that I'm used to carrying out my own objectives for the team effort and it usually means sticking my own neck out solo, although I probably won't be a bastard like in CS sometimes where I use teammates as human shields. That being said, I went into a busy pub server an hour ago and easily kept up a 5:1 kd ratio in two maps(and led the board on the second). Maybe gaffers are just better. :lol

epmode

I love how if I'm being owned by a particular player, all I have to do is switch to a counter-class (or even the same class) and I have a fighting chance. No camping weapon spawns, no rushes to the power weapons, etc. I mean, this has been the case for years, but I'm especially appreciating it after playing a bunch of Halo 3 over the past few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom