• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I should add there's more to dying than having a bad stat on a website. Players who are dead can't help out and have to wait 5-15 seconds before they can even start making the journey back to where the objective is.

...maybe teams need to start organizing attack waves.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Teknopathetic said:
You'd probably see that more with organized teams than with pub groups, hito.
Well, I'm more talking about the GAF server now. My team had issues with keeping a sustained assault in grainary last night, and I kept having the nagging feeling I shouldn't keep trying to take on 3-4 people with just maybe one other teammate. It worked for a while but we ended up losing.

Cheeto

I'd give it time. People will develop a feel for the teamwork and it'll come together. Best way I've seen of organizing an attack run sans communication is to cooridinate two invuls and run in, everyone else will follow. So pretty much, working with a medic or being a medic is kind of "commanding the team".

jtardiou said:
i still dont understand how ubercharge works. once it is charged, how do you use it and how long does it last? do u point ur heal-gun and right click at someone to make them invulnerable -- for how long? does it just work on one person? do a lot of ppl do this to get the intel?
you right click while pointing the heal gun at someone. im pretty sure if you change weapon it stops you both being invunerable. it lasts for 10 seconds all told. you can use this to get the intel yes but most use it to break down places where there are heavily fortified areas with turrets etc.

jtardiou said:
what are good strategies to use for engineer entrance/exit posts?

i have two i try to do one is one that assists the team and one that assists me. for example put the entrance near the spawn point then the exit in the enemy base for helping the team out. for myself i like to have an exit that ends up in the defensive point for example in the intel room where my defense is so i can get back quickly and get help quickly through it. either way i tell people and thats a key point! tell people where your tele's go! otherwise they wont know where it goes and are reluctant to use it!

jtardiou said:
what kind of maps are played competitively?

erm all so far? its still a demo people are still getting a feel for it etc.

jtardiou said:
i dont understand maps like dustbowl. there are 3 parts to the map? once the 3 parts are done, you switch sides (from offense to defense??)

pretty much. although if the defenders keep them out it immediately swaps them onto offense at the start there and then. so its REALLY in your interest as defense to keep them out so you can get a quick switch around....

jtardiou said:
any other tips? good spots to put stickies for demos, good combination of classes, etc

i always reccomend being a medic and following others around healing them so you can see how they play and get a feel of the game as a whole.....

Davidion

I chased sollies and demos around as a medi last night with relatively good results. Then our team got its ass kicked during OT. :lol

Now to improve at classes where I actually need to shoot something.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
I should add there's more to dying than having a bad stat on a website. Players who are dead can't help out and have to wait 5-15 seconds before they can even start making the journey back to where the objective is.

That respawn time isn't changing anytime soon, nor will it be server configurable in the end.

artist

Banned
Last night, I had a sentry in the entrance area (Mach) and got atleast 6-7 consecutive kills. Multiples of heavys, demos, soldiers couldnt take it out :D (sorry Icy :p) went down when i was attacked from both sides with heavy. But it was nice change of balance for my team, Icy and some other guy were just sniping down most of my team.

artist

Banned
Yes I had a dispenser going along with it. I kept fixing it after taking some heavy damage. Even survived some spy zappers. Wish I had some backup :-/

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, it's pretty aggravating when you have an engie hiding behind their own sentry constantly doing repairs. What should take a few rockets ends up needing 10. :(

That's actually something not a lot of engies have caught onto... using their sentries as shields rather than running away when under fire. Although becoming a second assailant works too, and is annoying as hell. :(

Hitokage said:
Yeah, it's pretty aggravating when you have an engie hiding behind their own sentry constantly doing repairs. What should take a few rockets ends up needing 10. :(

That's actually something not a lot of engies have caught onto... using their sentries as shields rather than running away when under fire. Although becoming a second assailant works too, and is annoying as hell. :(

I huddle behind my sentry like a small child behind their mother when I play eng. I've managed to outlast uber charges and get the kill with that strategy.

artist

Banned
Hitokage said:

Which is why I feel good spies could make or break a team .. and I have seen very few 'good' spies so far.

If you were on yesterday, the Blue team had like 5-6 sentries (all upgraded) at their intelligence location. And all of them had engs with dispensers behind them to boot. It was virtually impossible to break into that camp.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Teknopathetic said:
Who's the one whining about demoman being useless?

irfan said:
If you were on yesterday, the Blue team had like 5-6 sentries (all upgraded) at their intelligence location. And all of them had engs with dispensers behind them to boot. It was virtually impossible to break into that camp.
I got on after the server restart.

Anyway, an ubercharged pyro followed by soldiers or demomen might have done the trick.

epmode

Yeah, I'm not too sure I like the demoman change. It was my favorite class before that patch, but I've become almost entirely useless at any decent range. Turret dropping is a lot harder now. I suppose I should use stickybombs more often.

No_Style

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I huddle behind my sentry like a small child behind their mother when I play eng. I've managed to outlast uber charges and get the kill with that strategy.

It all depends on set up for me. Hiding behind them should not work if your back is to the wall or even if there are floors since any good soldier should be using splash damage to take out the engineer or take out his dispenser instead of the sentry. I tend to just hover around and if I see anyone trying to take hide and fire shots, I chase them down with the shotty.

No_Style said:
It all depends on set up for me. Hiding behind them should not work if your back is to the wall or even if there are floors since any good soldier should be using splash damage to take out the engineer or take out his dispenser instead of the sentry. I tend to just hover around and if I see anyone trying to take hide and fire shots, I chase them down with the shotty.

Ya I try and only build sentrys in places where splash damage will be minimal, and a direct line of fire is required to cause any serious damage. If you have a dispenser behind you, and a good placement you can last quite a long time.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
No_Style said:
It's kinda hard to aim just off the sentry to hit the floor next to where the engie is crouching.... when you're getting pummeled with bullets.

This is assuming, of course, we're talking about a sentry whose range you walk into entering a room or other semi-enclosed area, rather than one out in the open.

saelz8

epmode said:
I suppose I should use stickybombs more often.
Yes.

I tend to try and predict enemy movement if it's close quarters. Since stickies are remotely detonated, you can try your best to cross out any direction your opponent can leave in. It's a big prediction game.

Pre-patch demo used the sticky less often, as it wasn't nessecary, apart from cap defense, traps and farthest distance attacking. (Charged stickies shoot farther than regular nades). You had your beast of a primary nade launcher.

The optimism with the standard launcher isn't as great now at medium distances, as you're defined to a higher arche of fire and there is a lesser chance of proximity damage. It's also a lot harder to control speed by ground skipping now. If you miss at higher arche fire at medium distances, the nade is going to most likely fly well past your enemy. No sweat off their back.

Long distance standard nade fire gives your nades time to tick down into detonation while in flight (Indirect priming). This is still relatively the same.

Close quarters is still just as lethal as it always has been.

Ricocheting into building, or through doorways isn't as easy. That suffers. You have to depend on enemy blindness or indirect priming if possible (Which usually isn't possible when it comes to buildings). That's where you start using the sitckies more.

I guess it kind of feels like a more well rounded class now, but it's a forced curvature. It's not optional. You have to use the stickies, or your ass is grass.

Icy

Banned
In looking over the awards.

Fists of Fury (Nobody)

What? You heavies can't punch someone to death? :lol

lockii said:
I've got the same gear, but run at 1440x900 and I have similar results, never above 40 in Bioshock, more around 25-30 and I don't do games at those FPS levels.

I think there's a possibility my PSU isn't giving enough juice to my graphics card, I bought a bunch of new parts within the last month and the PSU is the only thing I didn't upgrade from my previous computer.

TF2 runs like a dream though, but I guess it's not as intensive as Bioshock. Looks prettier though, framerate is everything.

Oh yeah, I couldn't be happier with TF2 performance. That good I guess, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be the game that feeds my multiplayer needs for awhile.

Icy

Banned
Stats Points.

I basically made all hand to hand worth 3 points a point except the knife which is instant kill from the back. You get 2 points.

High Dmg/AoE Weapons.. MG, Flamethrower, SG all at 1 point per kill.

All shotguns net 2 points each currently. Will modify in the future since they all have a different rate of fire.

Everything else is from 1.5 to 2 points per kill.

Assists will net you 3 points.

Domination will net you 5 points.

Revenge will net you 10 points.

Every capture you block 5 points to you, 2 points to your team mates.

Capture the flag, get 4 points, 1 point for your team mates.

Icy

Banned
Christ..Pillow has over 4,000 points from his SG when I had that thing at 4 points per kill by accident. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cheeto

Icy said:
In looking over the awards.

Fists of Fury (Nobody)

What? You heavies can't punch someone to death? :lol
I think i've gotten one punch kill in all my hours of TF2. It's so hard to do.

Icy

Banned
Icy said:
Stats Points.

I basically made all hand to hand worth 3 points a point except the knife which is instant kill from the back. You get 2 points.

High Dmg/AoE Weapons.. MG, Flamethrower, SG all at 1 point per kill.

All shotguns net 2 points each currently. Will modify in the future since they all have a different rate of fire.

Everything else is from 1.5 to 2 points per kill.

Assists will net you 3 points.

Domination will net you 5 points.

Revenge will net you 10 points.

Oh yeah suicides while not in the spawn (class change) result in a loss of 25 points :D

1-D_FTW

What's a flagenet? I'm ranked 4th in that, but I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed.

Why does revenge net you 10 points? Should you really be rewarded for getting dominated?

And I think the -25 for suicide is bad. You already get a death for that, why punish somebody for changing classes (especially since there's only one reason to do it... you team is in desperate need of something.)

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
What's a flagenet? I'm ranked 4th in that, but I don't know if I should be proud or ashamed.

Why does revenge net you 10 points? Should you really be rewarded for getting dominated?

And I think the -25 for suicide is bad. You already get a death for that, why punish somebody for changing classes (especially since there's only one reason to do it... you team is in desperate need of something.)

Flagevent is Flag captures,

Revenge is for getting revenge. Sweet and simple. I've probably had more difficulty getting revenge on people than on dominating them..

You do not get penalized for dieing. Only for suicides.

1-D_FTW

Icy: Don't you think if you're on a crummy team and you commit suicide in an attempt to switch classes and prevent final defeat, this shouldn't be penalized 25 points for being a team player?

SuperEnemyCrab said:
is "falling to a clumsy death" considered suicide?

I sure hope not. I've been blown sky high a number of times and been killed by the fall to the ground.

Icy said:
Christ..Pillow has over 4,000 points from his SG when I had that thing at 4 points per kill by accident. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I consider Pillow my permanent nemesis. Any time I die, I die happy if I've managed to take him or any of his damn buildings out.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Icy: Don't you think if you're on a crummy team and you commit suicide in an attempt to switch classes and prevent final defeat, this shouldn't be penalized 25 points for being a team player?

I sure hope not. I've been blown sky high a number of times and been killed by the fall to the ground.

Commit Suicide still got a 15 second respawn time.

Lhadatt

Icy said:

Does that mean defending the flag is worth more than breaking the defense and capturing the flag?

Pimpbaa

Damn there was such an asshat playing last night that wasn't me. Some guy wouldn't shut up on his mic. And he wasn't showing up on the players list in the steam community overlay so I could mute him. Had to turn off voice chat altogether.

Icy

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Damn there was such an asshat playing last night that wasn't me. Some guy wouldn't shut up on his mic. And he wasn't showing up on the players list in the steam community overlay so I could mute him. Had to turn off voice chat altogether.

I have no problem kicking anooying asshats from the server...

Hitokage said:

Yes. I asked a heavy to hang out around me (scout) to provide back up while I captured the point, and the dude just ran off to the next point instead. Sure enough, 5 seconds later I'm under attack by an enemy pyro and a heavy. And I know the guy I asked had a mic because he asked for back up later in the same game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom