• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Puyo is awesome. That's really all I meed to say about tonight's matches.

Spotless Mind said:
Great games everyone. A lot of fun, even though we were being dominated the majority of the time. Damn you PillowKnight and Hitokage!! I was dominated by you guys so many times. :(
Haha, I dominated 6 different people one round.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
A nice kill shot of Spotless from tonight:

2myn1pk.jpg

Great time as always. I'd like to congratulate PillowKnight for staying alive long enough for us to cap in sudden death on Hydro. That was great.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Hitokage said:
Puyo is awesome. That's really all I meed to say about tonight's matches.

Haha, I dominated 6 different people one round.

The damn red group dominated us all on the blue side :lol . But i did get my rocket shot off to get revenge on you :D

Big-E

Good games guys. Holy shit at the domination you red guys gave to us blu guys on the one command point map. You guys were a roaming death squad.

It was great playing with everyone. The Pyro is so hit or miss with me. I'm still not sure how I feel about the class. But setting people on fire is just too much fun.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Big-E said:
Good games guys. Holy shit at the domination you red guys gave to us blu guys on the one command point map. You guys were a roaming death squad.
Haha, that game on hydro got so awesome near the end. I love TF2!

ezekial45

Banned
Tonight was my first time playing TF2. I really should've gotten it earlier. Its AWESOME! Puyo, you did an amazing job as a medic.

We were scoring wins pretty easily for a few rounds, but then it turned into chaos out of nowhere. I love it!

So what's up with everyone leaving when it went to 2fort? Is it really that hated?

I know it's a classic TFC map, but it seems like nothing ever happens. It takes forever for someone to even get to the briefcase, then even longer for something to actually be captured. Just a big battle with no consequences for a long time, really.

peppermints said:
So what's up with everyone leaving when it went to 2fort? Is it really that hated?

I know it's a classic TFC map, but it seems like nothing ever happens. It takes forever for someone to even get to the briefcase, then even longer for something to actually be captured. Just a big battle with no consequences for a long time, really.
The new TF2 maps (ie. not TFC ones) were designed from the bottom up with playability in mind. The old 2fort was basically just "hey let's have this massive sniper spot fight with a bridge in the middle", and wasn't designed for gameplay to the intricate detail that the new Valve levels are.

Stuff like the very narrow corridors, the ramp room - that controls all ways for most classes to get to intel, not including scout, soldier, spy and demo - is very easily defended with engineers and sentries and can't really be taken out without a lot of demos and/or ubercharges, and of course the sniper spots covering the roof of the bridge from said soldiers/demos/scouts preventing them from approaching; it all means that 2-fort is far easier to defend than it is to attack. Combine with the natural tendency of players to defend rather than attack, and bingo. 2-fort goes nowhere.

PS.
Gotta try harder Hitokage :D

Javaman

evlcookie said:
The damn red group dominated us all on the blue side :lol . But i did get my rocket shot off to get revenge on you :D

Yeah, Here's a picture that shows off the jist of the night.
2yy7bx5.jpg

I also like this one from several days ago...
16axh8g.jpg

GG everyone!

Nice pic fallengorn. :) I've got some really good kill pics, from today and some older ones as well. I'll try and put them up later.

peppermints said:

I really like 2Fort, but it can become a stalemate rather quickly, as long as there are some well placed and defended sentries. Still, i quite like the close quarters. Makes racking up kills as a heavy rather easy. :D

ezekial45 said:
Puyo, you did an amazing job as a medic.
Yeah, Puyo you were great as a medic. I was playing embarrassingly bad as a Heavy in the Granary match, though, and i think i got you killed a few times. Sorry!

Icy

Banned
Wednesday's Awards..

Code:
Architect of Death  			PillowKnight (296 Most Devices Built..)
Dominator 				PillowKnight (22 Dominates the most..)
Most Caputre Points Defended 		quellex (20 Defender of the Crown)
Revenger 				140.85 (6 Gets their revenge..)
Sentry Gun Killa 			PillowKnight (84 Engineer Most Hated)
Best Sentryguns 			PillowKnight (81 Impervious Machines.)
Best Sniper 				Hecubus (96 Grey Matter For You.)
Crazy Bomber 				quellex (63 Bouncy Grenades For You)
Dr. DCeath 				n0b (17 Most Syringe kills)
Fire Spitter 				Teknopathetic (89 PyroManiac with Kills.)
Fists of Fury 				Crooked Rain (1 I beat you down.)
Gunman 					n0b (77 Goes Postal with the MG.)
Knife Maniac 				Giganticus (79 Don't trust this backstabber.)
Soldier of the Day 			Hitokage (139 Most Explosions)
Sticky Bomber 				quellex (66 Sticky Grenades For You)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn not on the list, i fail.

Slightly OT, does anyone know how big the HL2:E2 download is ? I am nearly out of hd space, might have to shift my steam install to another hd :lol

I'm guilty of making it a mission to punch someone out because I figured I'd win the award with just one knockout. I beat down some poor engineer coming out of his spawn on granary.

Icy

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Is that something you added recently? I should have a much better K/D ratio then the site is showing.

EDIT:
Oh ya, some of these Kill cam shots are hilarious.
saiyannutmegislookinggood.jpg

Stats have been running since last Saturday. And its dead on accurate with what the server reports.

Icy

Banned
No_Style said:
I know about HLSTATSX. What I meant was stats like "Most dominations" which is currently 3 (Engineer) for me. TF2 tracks a lot of stuff already.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/No_Style/stats/TF2

I was just wondering if all servers and maps are valid for the TF2 stat tracking.

They should be.. I mean steam should not be discriminating against user created content, especially since its what help keeps valve products alive.

dfyb

Banned
edit: server is offline. maybe again some other time. this map is built for large number of players and it's hard to get many at this time of night.

so i retrofitted an early WIP map for TF2. you can check it out now if you want.

This is not a finished map. I had just started working on the first map for my own mod called Raket and figured it wouldn't be too hard to retrofit it for TF2 very quickly, so that's what i did. enjoy

tips:
-bind something to "+use" - example in console: bind f "+use"
-use engineers to place teleport exits in smart locations
-the gray block in the spawn is a locker you can resupply with

http://raketgame.com

help playtest ctf_raket, a custom ctf map

download quickly from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/60155896/ctf_RAKET_v2.zip.html

71.170.13.17:27015

IMPORTANT: TO AVOID AN ERROR WHEN TRYING TO JOIN, DELETE CTF_RAKET.BSP IN team fortress 2\tf\maps IF YOU'VE PLAYED ON THE MAP BEFORE

ctf_raket0042.jpg

ctf_raket0060.jpg

ctf_raket0043.jpg

ctf_raket0061.jpg

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Giganticus said:
The new TF2 maps (ie. not TFC ones) were designed from the bottom up with playability in mind. The old 2fort was basically just "hey let's have this massive sniper spot fight with a bridge in the middle", and wasn't designed for gameplay to the intricate detail that the new Valve levels are.

Stuff like the very narrow corridors, the ramp room - that controls all ways for most classes to get to intel, not including scout, soldier, spy and demo - is very easily defended with engineers and sentries and can't really be taken out without a lot of demos and/or ubercharges, and of course the sniper spots covering the roof of the bridge from said soldiers/demos/scouts preventing them from approaching; it all means that 2-fort is far easier to defend than it is to attack. Combine with the natural tendency of players to defend rather than attack, and bingo. 2-fort goes nowhere.

PS.
Gotta try harder Hitokage :D

BOOOOOOO!

2Fort rocks. Far too many CP maps in the rotation.

Icy said:
Wednesday's Awards..

Code:
Architect of Death  			PillowKnight (296 Most Devices Built..)
Dominator 				PillowKnight (22 Dominates the most..)
Most Caputre Points Defended 		quellex (20 Defender of the Crown)
Revenger 				140.85 (6 Gets their revenge..)
Sentry Gun Killa 			PillowKnight (84 Engineer Most Hated)
Best Sentryguns 			PillowKnight (81 Impervious Machines.)
Best Sniper 				Hecubus (96 Grey Matter For You.)
Crazy Bomber 				quellex (63 Bouncy Grenades For You)
Dr. DCeath 				n0b (17 Most Syringe kills)
Fire Spitter 				Teknopathetic (89 PyroManiac with Kills.)
Fists of Fury 				Crooked Rain (1 I beat you down.)
Gunman 					n0b (77 Goes Postal with the MG.)
Knife Maniac 				Giganticus (79 Don't trust this backstabber.)
Soldier of the Day 			Hitokage (139 Most Explosions)
Sticky Bomber 				quellex (66 Sticky Grenades For You)

Revenger! :lol

Damn Icy, these stats are great. Thanks again man for all your hard work!

Big-E said:

Nobody on blue communicated. :lol Hito and Puyo have mics and coordinate well. I need to get a mic... Red clustered together and bum-rushed the points (which is actually a good way to do it - teamwork and all that).

Oh and Pyro is a little over un-nerfed (that doesn't mean I think they're hard to kill Hito - settle down) if they happen to slip in to your proximity one blast shouldnt mean instant death to a soldier IMO. They upped him just a smidgen too much, but it's nice that the class has some teeth now.

Fix that and the scout shotgun and the balance will be about as perfect as it can I'd imagine.

Oh! Forgot the Ubercharges. That's in bad need of balancing as well I think. Does shooting them do anything like shorten the length of the invincibility? Something should be done with it IMO. Nothing major mind you, just something to shave a little off the total helplessness a defense has when 2 incvincible HWs lumber onto your CP. :lol

n0b

Great games today, I loved the round of hydro where nearly all of us blues went scout and just rushed the hell out of the flag. Yay for syringe and MG kill awards...I kinda feel sorry for those who went up against my mg rushes on defense in dustbowl though, I had almost a 3-1 K/D ratio that match. :)

The best part for me was playing soldier on granary earlier in the night though, got up to 5 dominations before anyone got revenge, and was just really doing well and having fun.

Also, damn you PillowKnight for going 9 hours longer than me total and preventing me from getting my first place back with all those extra points.

its annoying i only get to play around 2 hours with you guys i break top 10 then by morning im outside the top 20 :p

i came out top of the server a few times. even when i was having particular difficulty killing one damn engineer as a spy.... kept taking his turret away from him but couldnt land the killing blow so i think he is like 3/10 k/d in his favour >.<

there was a funny point where my team was like 4 v 5 and we just steam rollered our way through i think it was granary. we would hit a point then kill 2/3 of them cap point and someone else would already be on the next one. got like 3 or 4 total points for that hehehe.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
140.85 said:
Oh and Pyro is a little over un-nerfed (that doesn't mean I think they're hard to kill Hito - settle down) if they happen to slip in to your proximity one blast shouldnt mean instant death to a soldier IMO. They upped him just a smidgen too much, but it's nice that the class has some teeth now.
You do realize that they could axe you to death and not take much longer? That was the main problem before. It only does lethal damage when their flamethrower is touching you, and even then it's not instant. Avoid that and you won't have problems. You wouldn't expect to stand still in clear sight of a sniper and not get killed in short order, so why the indignation over the pyro? Close-range effectiveness is their point, and it's very hard to take you seriously when they're so easily countered.

Looking at your stats, you should probably play pyro more. It's actually frustratingly hard to get a decent amount of kills without being careful.

Oh! Forgot the Ubercharges. That's in bad need of balancing as well I think. Does shooting them do anything like shorten the length of the invincibility? Something should be done with it IMO. Nothing major mind you, just something to shave a little off the total helplessness a defense has when 2 incvincible HWs lumber onto your CP. :lol
Ubercharges don't last terribly long and you can wait them out in most situations.

so1337

Hay guys, Ive got a problem with this baby or rather with all the steam games. Until recently everything worked just fine. However, every time I start the game now there is now cursor showing up. Its definitely there but its invisible. Strange.

edit: Its running on an iMac (new gen) with Vista Ultimate by the way.

Hitokage said:
You do realize that they could axe you to death and not take much longer? That was the main problem before. It only does lethal damage when their flamethrower is touching you, and even then it's not instant. Avoid that and you won't have problems. You wouldn't expect to stand still in clear sight of a sniper and not get killed in short order, so why the indignation over the pyro? Close-range effectiveness is their point, and it's very hard to take you seriously when they're so easily countered.

But I never said they weren't easily countered. I'm just saying I think the damage is a little too high on the occassion one isn't able to. Not indignation by any stretch, just a thought.

Hitokage said:
Looking at your stats, you should probably play pyro more. It's actually frustratingly hard to get a decent amount of kills without being careful.

:( I'm reckless and impatient so my kill rate will probably always be higher than my death rate. :lol *shrug*

Oh and Pyro is a little over un-nerfed

I honestly don't think the Pyro could be nerfed any. As it stands now, one rocket or grenade can kill a Pyro. I've died so many times in close range combat with a soldier or a demo, my flamethrower going full blast a point blank. So I don't think it's a case where as soon as a Pyro gets next to you -- game over.

Actually, I think the hit detection might be off a bit on the flamethrower. Or maybe my computer just can't keep up half of the time. But I've been in situations where the flame is on the enemy, but they take a bit to come a light. The same thing used to happen in TFC on occasion.

Really fun games with yall last night :) I hate that new map, but the rest were great. 2Fort is boring w/no communication and teamwork, but it was pretty intense if you do work well with the people running with the briefcase.

I was looking at the stats...I almost feel embarrassed by my kill count lol
2j5ymiu.jpg

No_Style

omgimaninja said:
Really fun games with yall last night :) I hate that new map, but the rest were great. 2Fort is boring w/no communication and teamwork, but it was pretty intense if you do work well with the people running with the briefcase.

I was looking at the stats...I almost feel embarrassed by my kill count lol
2j5ymiu.jpg

LOL.. @ Jigglypuff

Just shows that kills are not absolutely necessary to get up there in the stats :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
puyo's a medic, so he's got a TON of kill assist and ubercharge points.

140.85 said:
But I never said they weren't easily countered. I'm just saying I think the damage is a little too high on the occassion one isn't able to. Not indignation by any stretch, just a thought.
So you're saying you need a handicap?

I think Pyro's are fine the way they are: up close they kill me instantly, at mid range I can usually run away/heal/while somebody picks them off. A good pyro knows the levels very well and is able to pop out at all the tight spots and go on a rampage.

I love cp_granary the best! It's always just pure mayhem and there's so many routes to go through the levels to the Capture Points. The staircase above the 4th (?) CP is always unguarded and usually a good place for Pyro/Demo to hop down and destroy enemies waiting.

Hitokage said:
So you're saying you need a handicap?

No. Like I said - "little". It's just a thought regarding balance (and a passing one at that) - not a complaint about the game.

Does anyone know what's going on when every once in a while a soldier's rocket will go all blue/electric looking and make a different sound when it fires?

t's a critical shot. Does extra damage. If it hits you'll see CRITICAL HIT appear over their head. Happens with every gun, but obviously only the rocket and grenade are particularly visible. You'll still hear like a spark of electricity.

Thanks for explaining that. I really didn't have any idea what was going on. I figured it was some sort of special shot, but I didn't know what was causing it.

Actually, I'm still not entirely sure how a critical shot is chosen. Valve says that critical shots are chosen by, "player's momentum on the scoreboard" but what exactly does that mean?

Does it mean that a critical shot is likely if I just got a kill and am now fighting with another enemy? Does it factor in kill assists, defenses, captures?

Does it matter which enemy I'm engaged with? Say I'm fighting someone on the top of their team, am I more or less likely to get a critical shot if I was fighting someone lower on the enemy team?

A couple times I was randomly firing the rocket launcher and got a few critical shot rockets, but I can say that I had absolutely no scoreboard momentum sitting in last place and killing no one.

So I'm still a little confused about the system used to determine these shots. Sorry if this is old news or if it has already been discussed.

Icy

Banned
vultureparade said:
Thanks for explaining that. I really didn't have any idea what was going on. I figured it was some sort of special shot, but I didn't know what was causing it.

Actually, I'm still not entirely sure how a critical shot is chosen. Valve says that critical shots are chosen by, "player's momentum on the scoreboard" but what exactly does that mean?

Does it mean that a critical shot is likely if I just got a kill and am now fighting with another enemy? Does it factor in kill assists, defenses, captures?

Does it matter which enemy I'm engaged with? Say I'm fighting someone on the top of their team, am I more or less likely to get a critical shot if I was fighting someone lower on the enemy team?

A couple times I was randomly firing the rocket launcher and got a few critical shot rockets, but I can say that I had absolutely no scoreboard momentum sitting in last place and killing no one.

So I'm still a little confused about the system used to determine these shots. Sorry if this is old news or if it has already been discussed.

You will also see something similar with the other classes with the blue and you'll sometimes hear sparks/electricity when using hand to hand items to signify a critical.

Icy

Banned
cp_wolf is on the server right now if anyone wants to play with it. I can't check it out until I get home from work. :(

We should all collaborate and make a GAF exclusive map sometime. Source SDK is kind of a pain but it's got a good support community and I've managed to make stuff in it before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom