• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLU-82

If anyone here is familiar with the CAMP team (1,2), one of the members should be releasing a beta version of his first TF2 map sometime today.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
If Valve doesn't do it, I'd love to see warpath and/or avanti re-made. Im also dissapointed that they made well into a CP game. The was an awesome CTF map.

artist

Banned
Icy, does the server keep track of zappers destroyed?

Simon there was a lone wolf (spy) on his team, his zappers were not that effective. :p

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here

Big-E

BlackWaltz said:
All off a sudden since I started playing today I've been having issues with invisible/messed up textures in TF2. Was working fine all last night, so I dunno what's caused it all of a sudden. I've already updated my video drivers and DX, so... anyone have any ideas? Pics of the problem(borrowed them from a post on the steampowered forum, exact same issue I'm having).

http://i22.tinypic.com/14e03m8.jpg
http://i20.tinypic.com/2w21z02.jpg
http://i21.tinypic.com/wh1ldx.jpg

Weird. What type of card do you have?

ice cream

Banned
I seriously don't know why it's going so slow, its going at 300 BYTES per second.
I deleted all that stuff people on steampowered forums said etc but still nothing happens..
and I'm in the moderation cue on their forums..
and I'm too lazy to make a support tickett

Lhadatt

Icy said:
Battle Creek looks like a remade Halo 2 map...
It's a remade Halo 1 map. I hate this one on the PC version. Way too small. Although the TF2 version looks like it could be bigger.

None of the new maps except Wolf and Mach actually feel like "team" maps.

BLU-82

Right that map is out now.
map_4.jpg

map_3.jpg

map_2.jpg

map_1.jpg

http://www.jparlay.com/ctf_stronghold_b1.rar (appreciated if anyone can mirror)

Icy

Banned
Just rebooted the server. Applied a quick fix for something I am testing. And i got blu's new map up on it.

Hitokage said:
Oh, it was cp_wolf, and I think it was Giganticus who got hit.

Late reply, but, ohhhh yeah. Damn you!

Also, does anyone know when we get
15d8j81.jpg

?

Because there's some damn funny stuff going on and I would love to be able to gif/youtube some of it. :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jirotrom said:
guys... I need a good headset/mic for this game... i'd like to join the gaf crew, any recommendations?

Probably anything that looks decent :lol . i have a logitech that i used to use for WoW. I havent tried it over steam yet, since it doesn't really look like many people use a mic to begin with over TF2.

Proc

HOW CAN I GET INTO THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!?!!?

I just got home for the thankgsiving weekend to visit the family, and my brother apparently just dropped $1000 on a new rig : quad core, 4 gigs of ram, vista, 8800 gts....help me get into tf2 for this weekend while my brother is out !

edit:Also, what other demos/easy things to grab to try out in all of its glory before the weekend ends?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Blu: The stronghold map could use a bit of work. That's if you made it.

Proc: You need to buy orange box from steam to be able to play TF2

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Hitokage said:
I know certain people who own a mic/headset but do not use it. For shame.
Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a good headset? It's starting to bug me to not be able to just speak.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
iain said:
that stronghold custom map looks great, does it play as well as it looks?

It's a bit big, but when we played it there was only about 10 or so of us, so we didnt get a good feel for it. The starting zones are way to confusing though. 50 different exits that lead somewhere, doors that lead to empty rooms etc. If that gets cleaned up it could be a very good map.

BLU-82

evlcookie said:
Blu: The stronghold map could use a bit of work. That's if you made it.

Proc: You need to buy orange box from steam to be able to play TF2

I didn't make the map but I know the guy who did. Any feedback or suggestions people have on it will be greatly appreciated.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
fallengorn said:
Speaking of which, can anyone recommend a good headset? It's starting to bug me to not be able to just speak.
I just use some analog headset I picked up at best buy, plugged into the breakout box of my audigy 2 zs pro.

Speaking of which, if you use the normal mic input and CSS/TF2 keeps changing the active recording input to something else whenever a map loads, add "+voice_forcemicrecord 0" to your launch options.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I bought a basic logitech PC headset, I (or rather, everyone who has to listen to me) get massive echo from the mic...I think the headphones must suck.

Dave Long

Banned
If you ever bought or receieved a PlayStation 2 headset (USB) you can use that. I got one of those for next to nothing at Wal-Mart when they were blowing them out.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dave Long said:
If you ever bought or receieved a PlayStation 2 headset (USB) you can use that. I got one of those for next to nothing at Wal-Mart when they were blowing them out.
Isn't that mono? I really wouldn't use that.

Icy

Banned
I played on the rats alpha map.. if you remember the classic TF maps.. its a map variation of a house/kitchen.

BLU-82 said:
I didn't make the map but I know the guy who did. Any feedback or suggestions people have on it will be greatly appreciated.

Narrow down the number of exits from spawn. It takes too long to get oriented after a respawn.

Remove superfluous rooms near the spawn point. You spawn in a room with two exit doors, one takes you to an empty and worthless room. There's also a stairway that goes up to a door that doesn't open.

Give the level a landmark or two. So much of the architecture looks alike, it is really difficult to tell if at a glance which way exits the base, and which enters it.

The side "danger" tunnels are a good thought, but still pretty much take you through the same small chunk of the level, creating a mega-bottleneck. While I played with too few players for this to matter (and a ridiculous ping for some reason, grr?), this is the weakest part of 2fort in my opinion. I think it's very likely with large teams you'll end up with long boring stalemates, due to that one area being fortified. Require each defending team to defend two totally separate paths to the intelligence, and there will be fewer stalemates.

(Watch, there totally IS a second separate path and I just never found it)

Lastly, the "dried moat" between the two forts is a bit annoying. If you fall into it, it can be a pain to get out of, and you are pretty much dead. I'd rather see it filled with water, or at least have smoother geometry so you could manuever/get in/out easier.

firex

BLU-82 said:
yeah, I played on that map last night and all I can say is it needs less rooms divided by doors and stuff on the interior part of the map. I don't know for sure but I think a good "high road" path to cross bases would be better too. I'm not sure if there is one... actually, I think there is one but it's about impossible to get through.

Oh, and the intel room should be smaller IMO. Right now engineers are pretty much worthless on that map since the map itself is small, but the intel room is so big that all you can do is put a sentry right next to the intel, which is still too easy to destroy.

platypotamus said:
(Watch, there totally IS a second separate path and I just never found it)

There is, if you take every single tunnel it leads from the blue int room to the red int room.

And yes, they really need to fix the geometry...specially that dry pond.

PillowKnight said:
There is, if you take every single tunnel it leads from the blue int room to the red int room.

Yes, but they come out right at the main entrances to each base, unless there are some other tunnels. Sure, you could skip from tunnel to tunnel, but if engineers fortify that spot, every path to the intelligence goes through there.

Icy

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Is the server up? The banner from gametracker says the server can't be found.

yes it is. gametracker isn't live or 100%.

2nd server is being put online now.

Clouseau

Anyone else have problems with the Steam server list app taking down your router? If I refresh the list too much it takes my network down for a few minutes until the router can clear itself out again.

Doytch

Clouseau said:
Anyone else have problems with the Steam server list app taking down your router? If I refresh the list too much it takes my network down for a few minutes until the router can clear itself out again.

The one in Steam? Never had any problems...but I mainly only use it for my favourites, I'll search for servers in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom