• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Both servers stats are NOW linked. :D :D

Wednesday morning sometime, I'll reset the stats for retail release.

There are class limiters in place.

Maximum of 2 Spies and 2 Snipers per team.
Maximum of 3 Pyros per team.
Maximum of 4 Engineers per team.

Rest is unrestricted.

No one is able to play a Spy unless the team has 4 players =)

Evilore
Hitokage
Quellex
Teknopathetic
and myself are the current admins at this time.

You can page an admin in game by typging @chat andwhateveryouwant to say
in the chat box. Only goes to the admins

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Icy said:
Just getting this out of the way, but please use this only for issues or concerns about the server.

1-D_FTW

I for one hope GAF decides to make the second server the primary TF server.

My ping in a good 10-15 lower on that one. And it's weird. For a server located in Virginia, it's inexplicable why my ping isn't lower on that one (I'm betting the second is located in the same location, too.)

Lhadatt

jtardiou said:
Guys.. Please, don't bother with custom maps.
Nothing wrong with custom maps from my point of view. They ought to be really, really, A++ good to get into the rotation though. Maybe use server #2 for map testing and leave #1 alone until a good A++ map comes along? Assuming server #2 consistently has fewer players.

Oh, and booting me last night for spewing commie propaganda was hilarious and all, but I got locked out of the game since server #1 is consistently full. Not fun.

JoeFu

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I for one hope GAF decides to make the second server the primary TF server.

My ping in a good 10-15 lower on that one. And it's weird. For a server located in Virginia, it's inexplicable why my ping isn't lower on that one (I'm betting the second is located in the same location, too.)

Uh... The first one is located in Texas, and the second one is located in Kansas.

At least thats what it says looking at hlstats.

Icy

Banned
JoeFu said:
Uh... The first one is located in Texas, and the second one is located in Kansas.

At least thats what it says looking at hlstats.

Its outside of DC. HLStatS is not placing it right on the Map.

JoeFu

Banned
Icy said:
Its outside of DC. HLStatS is not placing it right on the Map.

Ok.

Anyways, I like the one in Texas :D

It's in Frisco, and its like 20 minutes away from my house max. I was downloading the Crysis Demo which was going around 200kbs and my latency was still 26.

1-D_FTW

EDIT: If I do a Tracert on the 1st one, it times out. Second one works fine. I guess that's why the first server has such a high ping 75-85 ping for something that should be in the 40s.

Roadrunner traded our territory to Comcast recently and like everything, it sucks ass. The rerouting of the internet is just plain asinine and I don't doubt it's related to their banana republic string of routers.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Haha, Crooked got stuck in the ground last night. Funny Stuff. I gotta put the picture I took of it up later.

Ruh-roh...I have 666 kills now up on the GAF server. :lol

Icy said:

Rest is unrestricted.

Evilore
Hitokage
Quellex
Teknopathetic

What about scouts??? Many of the maps completely break if one team has an overabundance of scouts.

140.85 said:
What about scouts??? Many of the maps completely break if one team has an overabundance of scouts.

wouldnt two engineers with two turrets set up at flag absolutely destroy all the scouts?

and as a pyro i would love a scout rush!

Davidion

140.85 said:

I readily admit that it's annoying to see 3 of your cap points go all at once (especially when you're like me and not a big scout player), but that approaches has its shortcomings as well.

Hell, it's nice to see people using scouts at all now, whereas before they had more value as flying corpses for shits n' giggles then an actual utility class. :lol

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
EDIT: If I do a Tracert on the 1st one, it times out. Second one works fine. I guess that's why the first server has such a high ping 75-85 ping for something that should be in the 40s.

Roadrunner traded our territory to Comcast recently and like everything, it sucks ass. The rerouting of the internet is just plain asinine and I don't doubt it's related to their banana republic string of routers.

Comcast sucks period.

Icy

Banned
Davidion said:
I readily admit that it's annoying to see 3 of your cap points go all at once (especially when you're like me and not a big scout player), but that approaches has its shortcomings as well.

Hell, it's nice to see people using scouts at all now, whereas before they had more value as flying corpses for shits n' giggles then an actual utility class. :lol

exactlty. It was rare to see anyone play a Pyro / Demo / Scout in the original TF 1.5/TFC.

Blue Geezer said:
wouldnt two engineers with two turrets set up at flag absolutely destroy all the scouts?

and as a pyro i would love a scout rush!

Theoretically. But the swarm usually gets there before you can even get the sentry to level two and they just run circles around it destroying it with their over-powered shotguns. Pyros definitely seem to help but only if they can reach the point before the Scouts do and even then 5 scouts vs 3 pyro almost always produces the same outcome unless the scouts are stupid enough to get close to the pyros.

Just my observations. I'm almost always a soldier so I usually just witness this from afar as I lumber in to the area. What inevtiably happens is one team gets tired of getting spammed by scouts and all decide to be scouts as well.

Icy said:
exactlty. It was rare to see anyone play a Pyro / Demo / Scout in the original TF 1.5/TFC.

What? What servers were you on? I saw many skilled players use those classes to great effect in TFC. Pyro and Scout especailly.

Icy

Banned
140.85 said:
What? What servers were you on? I saw many skilled players use those classes to great effect in TFC. Pyro and Scout especailly.

I've added a scout limit of 12 per team. :)

Davidion said:

Well I agree to an extent. It's good that it's not the weakling it was - but I still feel like the class pays no price for it's speed and double jump the way other classes pay for their strengths.

But limits on the class aren't going to change what you're talking about here IMO. It's just going to make certain maps that much better.

140.85 said:
Theoretically. But the swarm usually gets there before you can even get the sentry to level two and they just run circles around it destroying it with their over-powered shotguns. Pyros definitely seem to help but only if they can reach the point before the Scouts do and even then 5 scouts vs 3 pyro almost always produces the same outcome unless the scouts are stupid enough to get close to the pyros.

i love playing as a pyro i have cleared a "room" of 5 scouts solo who were trying to cap a point as they simply were reluctant to get off the cap point! even those that are smart enough to get off the cap point to get some room usually get caught by the people who by now have only just now reached the cap point.

in other words its skill level i find that unbalances a game as opposed to the class they choose.

ps: pyros i think are the second fastest class in the game so if the pyro is not right behind your scouts rushing in then you need to have a word.

Blue Geezer said:
i love playing as a pyro i have cleared a "room" of 5 scouts solo who were trying to cap a point as they simply were reluctant to get off the cap point! even those that are smart enough to get off the cap point to get some room usually get caught by the people who by now have only just now reached the cap point.

in other words its skill level i find that unbalances a game as opposed to the class they choose.

ps: pyros i think are the second fastest class in the game so if the pyro is not right behind your scouts rushing in then you need to have a word.

I think you're right, Pyros are pretty quick. Skill does play a huge role, Im just saying class limits on Scouts might make some maps that much better. Just based on my observations thus far.

140.85 said:
Haha, Crooked got stuck in the ground last night. Funny Stuff. I gotta put the picture I took of it up later.

Ruh-roh...I have 666 kills now up on the GAF server. :lol
:lol :lol :lol I had totally forgotten about that. I was running out from the spawn area and all of a sudden my guy just sunk into the ground. To top it off, some bastard even sniped me in the head while I was stuck in the ground.

CrookedRain said:
:lol :lol :lol I had totally forgotten about that. I was running out from the spawn area and all of a sudden my guy just sunk into the ground. To top it off, some bastard even sniped me in the head while I was stuck in the ground.

Aw crap that sucks. :lol I'm sorry, I should have stood by you in your moment of weakness. What heartless cur would ever snipe a poor, helpless floating torso? :lol

adg1034

I love spies. Especially when you get an opposing Medic to heal you, then follow you into the "enemy" base, you not being able to shoot since it would blow your cover, and finally finding a way to get behind them and stab them in the back. So many amazing moments.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is it my imagination or are the idiots on Live learning that we're muting them in the lobby and they're calming down a bit?

Doytch

Stinkles said:
Is it my imagination or are the idiots on Live learning that we're muting them in the lobby and they're calming down a bit?

newspaper-filler.jpg

?

Dave Long

Banned
Stinkles said:
I think you mistook this thread for one where people care about console gaming.

Icy

Banned
Great. PayPal has my charges on "hold" due to a payment I meant to someone overseas. So as it right now, the game server host suspended the account of course until they have funds in their hands.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Icy said:
Great. PayPal has my charges on "hold" due to a payment I meant to someone overseas. So as it right now, the game server host suspended the account of course until they have funds in their hands.
No! :(

Prime crotch said:
So, like any Myth sequel planned?
I would KILL for a new Myth game :(

JoeFu, you live DFW area? I'm like a mile from the server and have a few friends in Plano who play (air*). Maybe we can all meet up and get miniLan TF2 party going.

Icy, thanks so much for getting the servers running :) The 1st server fills up so fast so that's great we have 2.

Doytch said:
Yes, and yes. Join us!

I want to so bad. I don't know how I'll balance Halo 3 and this... But I really want to get the orange box because of the price. It's great that gaf has it's own server, do we have our own Vent? Gameservers.com has some really cheap and good servers.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Icy said:

Rest is unrestricted.

Evilore
Hitokage
Quellex
Teknopathetic

Alright, the 2 sniper limit is good as is the 4 engineers limit.

The spy limit has to be the same as the engineer limit otherwise its not fair though.

Dave Long said:
Just ditch Halo 3. You can still get $55 on eBay.

I would if I didn't have any friends to play with. That's why I want to hop on TF2 now, I can only play multiplayer games with friends. My friends in Halo 3 went from Halo 2 to BF2/CSS/WoW now back to Halo 3. I do feel like getting back into PC games but all my friends are on Halo 3.

sharkie

Good game last nights lads, my last round though was terrible I couldn't hit a single thing, pro tip if you're hopped up on pain killers don't play online multi-player games :p

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
You know, I have to say...

Im having more fun with this than Halo 2.. so far no one has called me an idiot or a bad gamer.. people actually say good game in the lobby after its over (2v2)

sharkie said:
Good game last nights lads, my last round though was terrible I couldn't hit a single thing, pro tip if you're hoped on pain killers don't play online multi-player games :p

Do you play Spy mostly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom