• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Well my host are assholes. They will only accept PayPal. I've offered to overnight them a check / money order / blood money / my human soul and nada.

The host I used originally that had "stutter" issues is telling me they have the issues ironed out and that I can try them for a week free to see the difference. so I told them to go ahead and get it running.

Davidion

Icy said:
Well my host are assholes. They will only accept PayPal. I've offered to overnight them a check / money order / blood money / my human soul and nada.

The host I used originally that had "stutter" issues is telling me they have the issues ironed out and that I can try them for a week free to see the difference. so I told them to go ahead and get it running.

Hey Icy, you may have posted this already but what are the server fees per month? This may help people put into context what kind of relative contribution they can make with their dollar.

CoG

Loving Demoman now. He's effectively a one-hit kill machine when played right. Just go close enough to be a step back from mele and lob a grenade and you got mush for an opponent.

The sticky bombs are an art form, from protecting intelligence, spiking control points, taking out sentries (just keep poking out and lobbing them till it's coated and detonate). A really nasty thing to do is coat an enemy portal and detonate when the first poor bastard teleports. Cheap but fuck him if he can't take a joke :)

Demoman's got everything but ranged fire.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
CoG said:
Loving Demoman now. He's effectively a one-hit kill machine when played right. Just go close enough to be a step back from mele and lob a grenade and you got mush for an opponent.

The sticky bombs are an art form, from protecting intelligence, spiking control points, taking out sentries (just keep poking out and lobbing them till it's coated and detonate). A really nasty thing to do is coat an enemy portal and detonate when the first poor bastard teleports. Cheap but fuck him if he can't take a joke :)

Demoman's got everything but ranged fire.
Demomen are still great. The change with them was necessary, for a while they were far too powerful with the direct hits after a single bounce. A great demoman can completely shut off a path, especially in somewhere like 2fort.

Instead of 4-5 demoman, there are now far more pyros haha.

I agree that the 2 spy limit is too low. I think at the very least, the limit should be 3. With such a low limit, one of the problems that we may end up running into is that we have 2 people who will suck no matter what class they use that are using the spy and in effect, someone that is actually good with the spy will not be able to fulfill the need for one when he is needed. Perhaps the sniper limit should also be raised to 3 for similar reasons.

Doytch

Are you uploading stuff onto the servers or something, Icy? Something's up with the first server. It's not the exact same jittering problem as before though. I'm getting some frame skips and stuttering, it's easiest to notice if I just stand with my bat out.

1-D_FTW

Lathentar said:
Alright, the 2 sniper limit is good as is the 4 engineers limit.

The spy limit has to be the same as the engineer limit otherwise its not fair though.

All four spies would do is make some Pyro a very happy person. Seriously, unless your team sucks, a rampaging spy is gonna get someone to switch to Pryo and go on patrol. Four spies would be lots of points for some lucky Pyro.

CrookedRain said:
I agree that the 2 spy limit is too low. I think at the very least, the limit should be 3. With such a low limit, one of the problems that we may end up running into is that we have 2 people who will suck no matter what class they use that are using the spy and in effect, someone that is actually good with the spy will not be able to fulfill the need for one when he is needed. Perhaps the sniper limit should also be raised to 3 for similar reasons.

I like the two. IMO both Sniper and Spy are such limited classes in the grand scheme of things, you shouldn't even give a team the option to screw up your offensive by picking too many of these guys. More than 2 of either of those classes and the team suffers.

Now if a spy is dicking around with 0 points and you're good, maybe you can just tell him to please switch classes so somebody effective can play it.

I guess I'm just bitter cause I've been in a couple games with four snipers trying to collect easy K/D ratios while everyone else gets chewed up in a meat grinder (which would have greatly benefited from other classes in the thick of it.)

EDIT: I know a good Spy is really effective and I've marveled at the skills of some of the Spies at GAF. But most Spies suck. I'd like to see them be forced to easier classes where they could do some good. Hence the suggestion for politely asking. Maybe that's naive.

1-D_FTW said:
All four spies would do is make some Pyro a very happy person. Seriously, unless your team sucks, a rampaging spy is gonna get someone to switch to Pryo and go on patrol. Four spies would be lots of points for some lucky Pyro.

I like the two. IMO both Sniper and Spy are such limited classes in the grand scheme of things, you shouldn't even give a team the option to screw up your offensive by picking too many of these guys. More than 2 of either of those classes and the team suffers.

Now if a spy is dicking around with 0 points and you're good, maybe you can just tell him to please switch classes so somebody effective can play it.

I guess I'm just bitter cause I've been in a couple games with four snipers trying to collect easy K/D ratios while everyone else gets chewed up in a meat grinder (which would have greatly benefited from other classes in the thick of it.)

EDIT: I know a good Spy is really effective and I've marveled at the skills of some of the Spies at GAF. But most Spies suck. I'd like to see them be forced to easier classes where they could do some good. Hence the suggestion for politely asking. Maybe that's naive.
And I really doubt they would listen to your request.

Doytch

OK, I checked out the second server some more and it's the same jittering as the first one, and the same as before.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
CoG said:
He's effectively a one-hit kill machine when played right. Just go close enough to be a step back from mele and lob a grenade and you got mush for an opponent.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I hate that crap. :p

woeds

Icy, just to let you know, this new one isn't really playable for EU folk.

I've got a nice line here (20mbit) and got a 150 ping on the old US server, pretty playable. I'm getting 300+ now

Thanks for all the hard work on the server Icy. Hopefully they'll be back up by tonight.

Anyways IMO the server class cap is unessesary , and teams/ players should be the ones who decide. Setting server caps on player classes takes a bit of fun from the game by limiting player choice, ie you never have scenarios where a team goes "Hey lets all go engineers just to see what happens". It's not as if massive ammounts of engineers are overpowered. Actually, having 4+ of any class tends to cripple a team more than anything.

PillowKnight said:
Actually, having 4+ of any class tends to cripple a team more than anything.
I think that's the main reason Icy implemented the class limits. The more I think about it though, the more I dislike the limits. What if someone comes into the server when it is full and they can only choose a class they are not effective with? I think with a server that is usually filled with people from GAF, we can sort that stuff out ourselves.

bogg

Wout said:
Icy, just to let you know, this new one isn't really playable for EU folk.

I've got a nice line here (20mbit) and got a 150 ping on the old US server, pretty playable. I'm getting 300+ now
I'm in the same boat, I would love to play with gaf but my ping on the server is way too high.

JoeFu

Banned
omgimaninja said:
JoeFu, you live DFW area? I'm like a mile from the server and have a few friends in Plano who play (air*). Maybe we can all meet up and get miniLan TF2 party going.

Not really one to meet up with random people, but I live in Allen, so yeah, I live around the area.

Also no more Texas server :(

When your paypal comes back Icy, are you going to switch again?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
CrookedRain said:
What if someone comes into the server when it is full and they can only choose a class they are not effective with? I think with a server that is usually filled with people from GAF, we can sort that stuff out ourselves.
That's probably the main argument against class limits... and I hated whenever that situation came up on TFC.

And like you said, we’re pretty good at maintaining a decent ratio most of the time. I remember last night, there were 4 pyros running around Well on Blu. Eventually, people realized how ineffectual that was and changed class accordingly.

1-D_FTW

Icy, you never did answer and I have no idea what prices you're paying, but I had a TF2 server that I played on pretty regularly when it was first released and thought it had really nice performance:

http://www.leetservers.com/

The server I played ons seems to be gone and I can't test it any longer, but it might be someplace looking into if it's competitive.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
PillowKnight said:
Thanks for all the hard work on the server Icy. Hopefully they'll be back up by tonight.

Anyways IMO the server class cap is unessesary , and teams/ players should be the ones who decide. Setting server caps on player classes takes a bit of fun from the game by limiting player choice, ie you never have scenarios where a team goes "Hey lets all go engineers just to see what happens". It's not as if massive ammounts of engineers are overpowered. Actually, having 4+ of any class tends to cripple a team more than anything.
You're right. Having no server cap does have benefits to allow for some crazy strategies.

I've heard of an all-spy for offensive on dustbowl that completely destroyed the competition. They had no clue what was going on, ended up being paranoid and shooting everyone all the time not knowing who was a spy. By the time they completely figured out what was going on it was too late.

That same team then switched to all pyros for defense.

Crazy strategies can be fun and effective. Of course, people will complain about it being cheap like with a scout run. But if its effective, why not? Every strategy is counterable, its fun to be able to catch people off guard some times.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Icy, you never did answer and I have no idea what prices you're paying, but I had a TF2 server that I played on pretty regularly when it was first released and thought it had really nice performance:

The server I played ons seems to be gone and I can't test it any longer, but it might be someplace looking into if it's competitive.

There was a reason why I passed on them and can't remember. I'm on the phone with them now. and waiting on a call back from gameservers.com about the lag/stutter issue on the current test ones.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Lathentar said:
I've heard of an all-spy for offensive on dustbowl that completely destroyed the competition. They had no clue what was going on, ended up being paranoid and shooting everyone all the time not knowing who was a spy. By the time they completely figured out what was going on it was too late.

:lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
StoOgE said:
You know, I have to say...

Im having more fun with this than Halo 2.. so far no one has called me an idiot or a bad gamer.. people actually say good game in the lobby after its over (2v2)

Once the actual game releases, that will all change. Just be ready. ;)

(Not saying that I would ever talk or disrespect someone the way others do, but you know, a warning.)

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

They are setting me up with a Dallas and a VA setup right now. They don't do EU. But she's getting my connected with someone she refers to all the time who deals with EU hosting. So If the 2 US servers are not as good as the last ones for EU. Then I'll look into that.

saelz8

"One players journey of discovery. Ignis solus is latin for "to burn alone", and as far as we can tell, is the first fan-made Team Fortress 2 machinima."

nmf3af.jpg

Stage6
Youtube

CrookedRain said:
Tbh, with 2 spies co-ordinating (over voice chat, I need to get a headset) it's unstoppable. Especially if they tell the rest of the team when to rush the sentries. One runs past adding sappers and the other starts shooting/knifing engineers. If you are co-ordinating with the team too, then you'll ensure that for a few seconds at least that your team can make an assault uninterrupted.

And <3 irfan :D

Daigoro

i was tied up all weekend. i fail.

hopefully the servers are up and running ok tonight. i need to get my tf2 on.

irfan said:
Giganticus is the best spy I've seen so far..

yes, he is a total cunt. :lol

Quellex said:
"One players journey of discovery. Ignis solus is latin for "to burn alone", and as far as we can tell, is the first fan-made Team Fortress 2 machinima."

Stage6
Youtube

looks awesome. im loading it up now. thanks.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ignis Solus was great. The poster reminds me that I should go in spectator mode and grab some screens for wallpaper.

Daigoro

fallengorn said:
Ignis Solus was great. The poster reminds me that I should go in spectator mode and grab some screens for wallpaper.

i wonder how they get to the tops of buildings and outside of the levels? i didnt even think some of those spots could be reached.

the pyro made the cow cut-out fart fire. :D

1-D_FTW

Icy said:

Stats tracked are enabled. I haven't been able to install the admin functions yet. =)

Tried logging in again and was able to. I like the new diggs. Hopefully it works out. No tearing and my ping is 52-53. A good 25 better than the old one.

Icy

Banned
trh said:
Whatcha do? Ping went down to 130 from 200 at the previous server, now I'll join in every now and then. :D

New hosts.

Server #1 is in VA, Just outisde of DC.
Server #2 is in Dallas.

JoeFu

Banned
Quellex said:

Stage6
Youtube

That was awesome.

Loved the music.

EDIT:

awesome, new servers. I guess I'm gonna be in server 2 most of the time just because it's in Dallas.

Daigoro

ah ok, im getting lost with all the server changes.

looking forward to checking out the new server tonight! (after 10pm est)

frag you guys later! (gets backstabbed by Giganticus*)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom