• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
fallengorn said:
At first I was kinda doubtful of the 2nd server... since it was just a handful of us for awhile, but now it's packed!

I didn't think it would get as full as it did that quick until retail hit..

Crushed

Fry Daddy
fallengorn said:
At first I was kinda doubtful of the 2nd server... since it was just a handful of us for awhile, but now it's packed!
Seriously, it went from "meh, this is kinda lame, matches are over in a minute if it's just two people per team" to, "HOLY FUCK CHAOS"

Those last two games... Jesus, the blood, the flames, the gore, the bullets, the explosions, it was a fucking slaughterhouse! :lol

Icy

Banned
couple new custom maps popped up.. the only 1 I have interest in.. is avant!

CTF Intel:

ctf_intel_1t.jpg

ctf_intel_1t.jpg

ctf_intel_1t.jpg

CP Avantiville!!!!

cp_avantiville_b3_1t.jpg

cp_avantiville_b3_2t.jpg

cp_avantiville_b3_3t.jpg

2 Fort 5 r?

vintage_2fort5r_1t.jpg

vintage_2fort5r_2t.jpg

freespace06_v2night_t1.jpg

Something called freespace

freespace06_v2night_t2.jpg

freespace06_v2night_t3.jpg

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Seriously, it went from "meh, this is kinda lame, matches are over in a minute if it's just two people per team" to, "HOLY FUCK CHAOS"

Those last two games... Jesus, the blood, the flames, the gore, the bullets, the explosions, it was a fucking slaughterhouse! :lol

Exactly. It was insane! :lol

miyuru

I can't wait to join you guys, I just have a final tomorrow (4th exam of the year already) and another 2 exams next week....and a final the week after...

BUT I'll see you guys on the server whenever. It's just IMPOSSIBLE to get in!

Icy

Banned
miyuru said:
I can't wait to join you guys, I just have a final tomorrow (4th exam of the year already) and another 2 exams next week....and a final the week after...

BUT I'll see you guys on the server whenever. It's just IMPOSSIBLE to get in!

There are 2 servers :D

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Had the most entertaining game to date. On Granary, we convinced our team to go all Scouts. Capped middle point with a x18 modifier.

2przckj.jpg

We decided to switch to engineer for Sudden Death with a whopping 10 guns up at our last point.

j76c20.jpg

I Fraps'd the whole thing, video is coming soon :lol

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
haha 2fort5! Add it to the server, but not to rotation.

it crashes the server when you enter an enemy spawn. Its literally a direct translation of the original 2 fort basically.. lol.

Avant is real early, But he has kept all of the original design aspects of the original avant in place. It should mature real wellunless valve has one for retail...

Icy

Banned
After looking at the spread on like the top 15 players from rank 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on and so forth.

I've made it so when you get killed. You lose points equal to what the killer gains =)

Icy said:
I've made it so when you get killed. You lose points equal to what the killer gains =)

I feel like something like that could be particularly punishing towards certain classes. Medics in particular, possibly scouts/pyros as well.

Icy

Banned
platypotamus said:
I feel like something like that could be particularly punishing towards certain classes. Medics in particular, possibly scouts/pyros as well.

How so? You get points from assist kills and the dead player loses them as well. It all balances in the end.

Otherwise with the way it is currently you could have a really good player who barely plays and gets i the top 100 whereas people like myself, crooked, and Pillow are on so much that we get rewarded for being on by getting more kills so to speak.

Icy said:
How so? You get points from assist kills and the dead player loses them as well. It all balances in the end.

Didn't realize kill assists gave points, since the internal game's stats tracks them separately.

I do feel as if certain classes are going to naturally have higher k/d ratios than others though. Also, medics and engineers are always my first target as a spy (followed by snipies, since they usually are isolated anyway), so that big spy modifier might end up punishing them harder than others.

It's too late for me to be estimating these kinds of things though :p

Icy

Banned
platypotamus said:
Didn't realize kill assists gave points, since the internal game's stats tracks them separately.

I do feel as if certain classes are going to naturally have higher k/d ratios than others though. Also, medics and engineers are always my first target as a spy (followed by snipies, since they usually are isolated anyway), so that big spy modifier might end up punishing them harder than others.

It's too late for me to be estimating these kinds of things though :p

the game's internal stats have nothing do with the stats/points system that tracks.
Basically the game outputs a log of all events/actions. And an external system parses the data and awards and deducts points based on those actions and events as I have determined.

Stronge weapons (MG) rewards less points than a Scouts shotgun naterually. Assists give you kill points + assist points.

Making people lose points for dying is a bad idea I think. I was seeing plenty of people get 20 or 30 points for killing me while I would get 1 or 2 for a kill when you had the console spewing out stats that one day. There's nowhere to go but down with that change. Also, one of the great things about the TF2 scoreboard is that it doesn't show the deaths of other players which makes people unafraid to take one for the team. With a change like this, you make people think twice.

Plus sometimes your job is not to necessarily kill someone, but merely confuse, delay, subvert or otherwise cause chaos amongst enemies, something that both the Spy (sapping and paranoia) and the Pyro (setting everyone on fire) achieve.

EDIT: plus it's really harsh on some people if they get killed coming out of the gates via sniper fire or rocket spam or what.

Icy

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Making people lose points for dying is a bad idea I think. I was seeing plenty of people get 20 or 30 points for killing me while I would get 1 or 2 for a kill when you had the console spewing out stats that one day. There's nowhere to go but down with that change. Also, one of the great things about the TF2 scoreboard is that it doesn't show the deaths of other players which makes people unafraid to take one for the team. With a change like this, you make people think twice.

I'll review the stats once its in effect for a few days.

I could always cause a 1/4 or 1/2 of points loss instead of full.

n0b

CrookedRain said:
The problem is if you don't lose points, then the rankings just start to become a list of who plays the most. Sure, there are a couple of us up there in the top 10 that are above others with more playtime, but I have no hope of catching up to PillowKnight because he has 21 more hours on the server than I do. Just because he plays more often than everyone else makes him better?

The only real problem with point deductions is that you need to make points lost a lower percentage of the points gained by the other person depending on how new they are to the server. If you don't, every time a good new player starts playing on the server higher ranking players scores will get raped just because that person has never played on the server before.

As long as enough points are given out for doing the things you're supposed to do in classes that don't get as many kills (caps, assists, destructions, etc) then it should balance out with the points you lose from dying and give a better idea of rank than how it is now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hitokage, 522 kills in 12:30 = 41.76 rocket kills per hour connected
Ulcajun, 272 kills in 6:56 = 39.23 rocket kills per hour connected
140.85, 695 kills in 24:40 = 28.18 rocket kills per hour connected

Thing is, I think ulcajun spent a couple hours as something other than soldier.

n0b said:
The problem is if you don't lose points, then the rankings just start to become a list of who plays the most. Sure, there are a couple of us up there in the top 10 that are above others with more playtime, but I have no hope of catching up to PillowKnight because he has 21 more hours on the server than I do. Just because he plays more often than everyone else makes him better?

The only real problem with point deductions is that you need to make points lost a lower percentage of the points gained by the other person depending on how new they are to the server. If you don't, every time a good new player starts playing on the server higher ranking players scores will get raped just because that person has never played on the server before.

As long as enough points are given out for doing the things you're supposed to do in classes that don't get as many kills (caps, assists, destructions, etc) then it should balance out with the points you lose from dying and give a better idea of rank than how it is now.
And you also have to take into account what map a person is playing on. Someone on offense on Dustbowl is more likely to die more often. There is a huge point gain from killing people ranked towards the top that allows people to catch up. I'm telling you there was one time where Icy had the console spamming the point gains from people getting kills one day and people were getting 15, 20 or 30 points for killing me whereas I'd only get 1 or 2 a lot of the time if I killed them. If there was some kind of consistent small penalty for deaths such as a 1 point loss, then I wouldn't mind I guess. But if you lose as many points as the person gets for killing you, that would force people ranked near the top to average at least 10 points per death or more just to break even.

n0b said:

:lol The rankings are already silly enough as is, support classes are completely gimped in them. Putting in a death point loss would make it more so, specially for medics. But that's ok since imo the best part of the 'ranking' isnt the ranks but being able to see your kills with each weapon and who youve killed and who's killed you.

The best solution as far as I can see would be to implement a -100 point loss for every hour played. Not sure how flexible the code is so it might not be doable. Or to have the amount of points gained be ultimately divided by the number of hours played.

Icy said:
After looking at the spread on like the top 15 players from rank 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and so on and so forth.

Hmm, it should be be interesting how these penalties will affect the rankings. Hopefully you will figure out a way to balance gaining/losing points without gimping support classes too much..esp. ones with very low KPD ratios.

Now that the game is released we'll be seeing alot of new and probably very good players so I'm excited to see who starts dominating the rankings :)

YakiSOBA

Question:

How may I purchase this game without the other stuff from "The Orange Box"? I just want TF2 stand-alone.. if possible?

YakiSOBA said:
Question:

How may I purchase this game without the other stuff from "The Orange Box"? I just want TF2 stand-alone.. if possible?

TF2 is like 29.95 by itself. It really is better to just bite the bullet and get the whole Orange Box for 15 dollars more, unless you strongly don't want anything else in the pack.

Xrenity

I liked the menu better when every class had a number showing how many players played with it.
It's not really easy to see now imo.

Jirotrom

you know what sucks guys... I have to send of my LCD for repairs today, the night HL@ is released my screen goes off:( loos like I'll be playing the 360 version for now on a Tube TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom