• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
After thinking about it... there should be a penalty for dying, but it needs to be slight. 1:1 should net a slow gain of points, and maybe 1:2 should mean parity.

You lose points equal to what you killer gains.

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
So all our old stats are gone?

Yes. And you lose points for being killed, but not suicides/falling/class changes.

Basically If you had looked at the 10-, the spread was ridiculous. Pillow had almost 10k points and the next person was a good 1.5-2k away, And so on and so forth. At that high of a rank you get only base points for your kills, whereas if you're on the bottom of the ladder you gain more points for killing people of much higher rank.

Once the sdk is out, we'll be implementing an auto team balancer based on your HL Rank/Stats

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
Yes. And you lose points for being killed, but not suicides/falling/class changes.

Basically If you had looked at the 10-, the spread was ridiculous. Pillow had almost 10k points and the next person was a good 1.5-2k away, And so on and so forth. At that high of a rank you get only base points for your kills, whereas if you're on the bottom of the ladder you gain more points for killing people of much higher rank.

Once the sdk is out, we'll be implementing an auto team balancer based on your HL Rank/Stats

That's pretty cool. Especially if everybody chooses auto-balance to start the match (assuming it works there too.)

The whole fly in the ointment is this: Medics. Medics are pretty darn useful to a team. With two evenly matched teams, where one has medics and the other has none, I'd put my money on the team with medics everytime. How does this system work? Isn't a medic basically getting destroyed by this system? Am I missing something? I mean, didn't Puyo have a ridiculously small amount of kills?

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
That's pretty cool. Especially if everybody chooses auto-balance to start the match (assuming it works there too.)

The whole fly in the ointment is this: Medics. Medics are pretty darn useful to a team. With two evenly matched teams, where one has medics and the other has none, I'd put my money on the team with medics everytime. How does this system work? Isn't a medic basically getting destroyed by this system? Am I missing something? I mean, didn't Puyo have a ridiculously small amount of kills?

Its regardless if they choose red/blue they will be moved, Server decision is precendence over player choice.

YakiSOBA

question -- while i download TF2 from steam, does it have a resume or pause feature? my internet might go out for about 10min soon... maintenance :(

edit: nvm

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
Its regardless if they choose red/blue they will be moved, Server decision is precendence over player choice.

That's awesome. But is the medic accounted for in this? You wouldn't want medics to be considered the worst players and just randomly assigned to teams.

EDIT: Example. One team gets two really bad players and the other team gets two awesome medics.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
That's awesome. But is the medic accounted for in this? You wouldn't want medics to be considered the worst players and just randomly assigned to teams.

EDIT: Example. One team gets two really bad players and the other team gets two awesome medics.

It goes by Stats Score/Rank not by class.

Icy

Banned
Wednesday Night Event: Starts @ 6pm EST and goes on until whenever.

Non Stop Granary, Gravel Pit, and Hydro. Come and have fun. :D

Icy

Banned
I've been offered the opportunity to do a 32 slot server (not official)

Trying to see how stable they are...

Yeah keep it at 24. 32 would be nice but I don't think it would run well.

I'm going to play alot tonight just to see how the new stats work. Icy, you can use me as medic guinea pig to see if the dying penalty is fair (fyi last night I had 1 kill, 46 deaths)

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
Yeah keep it at 24. 32 would be nice but I don't think it would run well.

I'm going to play alot tonight just to see how the new stats work. Icy, you can use me as medic guinea pig to see if the dying penalty is fair (fyi last night I had 1 kill, 46 deaths)

Medics get points for assists and kills as well. So lets say

I use a MG to kill Hitokage. Hito would lose lets say 10 points. You were healing me and got assist.

I would get 5 points, and the medic would ge 5 points.
And then we would both get an additional bonus of lets say 3 points for the assist.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
Nah, I think you should keep the two 24 slot servers, just have one public and one private.

Well Valve went and gimped anyone using or making servers above 24 slots. They will not show up on any master server lists. They will not get the vac secure treatment either.

Icy said:

Icy, I feel like I'm always causing trouble, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of this. Maybe we can do it for one server and not the other? I can't be the only person that plays with some RL friends on the server and likes to team up with them, can I? A couple times I've even had a friend on the computer behind me playing, and we've teamed up. It'd kind of suck if the server prevented us from doing that.

Icy

Banned
platypotamus said:
Icy, I feel like I'm always causing trouble, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of this. Maybe we can do it for one server and not the other? I can't be the only person that plays with some RL friends on the server and likes to team up with them, can I? A couple times I've even had a friend on the computer behind me playing, and we've teamed up. It'd kind of suck if the server prevented us from doing that.

Server already prevents that. Regardless of your choice blue/red/random it will move you on a team balance.

But in terms in being connected to the stats its a ways off.

Icy said:
Server already prevents that. Regardless of your choice blue/red/random it will move you on a team balance.

But in terms in being connected to the stats its a ways off.

It only kind of prevents it. When teams get autobalanced, you might get moved. It happened to me once so far, while my friend was on the computer next to me. I just went spectator for awhile, and rejoined his team once the teams were fair again. If I CAN'T rejoin his team, because the server won't let me due to ranking stuff, that's when I am grumpy. If that won't ever be the case, then disregard my complaint as a misunderstanding/over-reaction.

artist

Banned
I was on last night but the abudance of the custom maps made me leave .. and others left too. I played on one of the chicago servers and before I hit the bed, checked Icy's server, it was full but the official maps. I guess its better to try out custom maps not during peak times ..

TransTrender

Gold Member
Jacobi said:
@Killdozer, maybe you get kicked because you two have probably the same IP address?

firex said:
Even though I doubt this, it could be some kind of VAC thing disconnecting you guys because it detects 2 connections from the same IP. I mean, I doubt it... but it could be that.

That makes sense but it's so inconsistent on how it works. Sometimes we can connect and other times we can't (to the same server). Also, if this were true, then just about every LAN place that has any Half Life based games will be SOL because if two people want to play on the same external server then it will kick them off. I know this doesn't happen because last Friday I did this exact thing. My roomate and I went to a lan, paid our $2 for an hour, and played TF2 on the same external server without any problems.

Overall it's a huge pain

Jacobi

Banned
Icy said:
Afternoon until early morning.
I don't know when Afternoon is in your country, cause I'm in Europe. In 2 or 3 hours?

irfan said:
I was on last night but the abudance of the custom maps made me leave .. and others left too. I played on one of the chicago servers and before I hit the bed, checked Icy's server, it was full but the official maps. I guess its better to try out custom maps not during peak times ..
We had 2 custom maps yesterday

Icy

Banned
Killdozer said:
That makes sense but it's so inconsistent on how it works. Sometimes we can connect and other times we can't (to the same server). Also, if this were true, then just about every LAN place that has any Half Life based games will be SOL because if two people want to play on the same external server then it will kick them off. I know this doesn't happen because last Friday I did this exact thing. My roomate and I went to a lan, paid our $2 for an hour, and played TF2 on the same external server without any problems.

Overall it's a huge pain

Sounds like a possible ISP issue or a routing issue. Steam/Servers do not kick people unless their steam id is bogus, no steam id, or there's more than 1 person using the same steam id. If at all possible when you have your connection issues.. get some screen shots so we can see whats happening. Can't promise anything, but we can try to help.

Icy

Banned
irfan said:

I like to check out the custom maps from time to time. My play time on week days is the peak times. :)

Icy

Banned
Blue Geezer said:
iiiiiiicccccccyyyyyy!!!!!!

server broke :(

I just rebooted them. I can be reached on Steam Community during the day when I am at work. :)

Quellex and Hitokage also have access to reboot. Though, I haven't shown Hitokage how just yet. =)

just playing a few games, I am really enjoying this.

the classes I dont suck in are Spy, Scout, and Soldier...the rest I am not very good.

but Spy is awesome, I just wish you could use knife a bit quicker after you turn off your cloak.

snack said:
I have fallen in love with the Heavy.

And I usually hate the MG classes in class-based games..

I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME!

I only played once with Engineer but I really like that class. Although I didn't get to see a whole lot of 2Fort.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom