• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
Do we have a GAF group for the 360 version of this? I just got the Orange Box and finished Portal, (friggin amazing) so I'll be checking this out in a bit.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, was doing fairly well, but near the end got a little frustrated and preoccupied with taking out a soldier/medic pair in a short room near the turnoff to the last cap point on dustbowl... and not really thinking it through. Got a lot of deaths there. :(

EDIT: Whoa, just realized how tired I am. TF2 gets my blood pumping. :D

YakiSOBA

hey i just played like 6 hours of tf2 on random servers.. what a crazy addictive game!!

just curious.. i played this one map with the trains... it was a pretty big map, capture territory style... any idea what its called?

YakiSOBA said:
hey i just played like 6 hours of tf2 on random servers.. what a crazy addictive game!!

just curious.. i played this one map with the trains... it was a pretty big map, capture territory style... any idea what its called?
That would be CP_Well

Played a few rounds on TF2. So much fun and so freaking fast. Popped Halo 3 right after and man does it feel slow. Don't think I'll be going back to H3 except for playing with friends. Added a few gaffers today so hopefully we can get a match going on this week.

traveler said:
Do we have a GAF group for the 360 version of this? I just got the Orange Box and finished Portal, (friggin amazing) so I'll be checking this out in a bit.

Check the TF2 360 thread. 360 owners put your name down, we need more people there.

Quagm1r3

Is anyone getting a stuttering problem with the gun models when turning quickly? It doesn't seem to be related to a bad connection since killing baddies is just as easily done as usual but these stuttering gun models are really distracting.

Anyone else been having this problem?

I suck so much at this, granted it is my first day, I still am very bad.

and while I enjoy playing as a spy, I HATE SPIES! stop destroying my gattling and rocket guns I built with tears and sweat! you bastards!

Icy

Banned
Quagm1r3 said:
Is anyone getting a stuttering problem with the gun models when turning quickly? It doesn't seem to be related to a bad connection since killing baddies is just as easily done as usual but these stuttering gun models are really distracting.

Anyone else been having this problem?

what servers r u playing on?

sharkie

Had a great game going tonight, medics were definitely on it tonight Puyo was as fantastic as ever Sporklet (I'm sure I'm slightly off with the name) Ein and Linkz (when he was bothered :p ) cheers lads :D

Guess all the action is going on in the PC realm... Tried playing it on the 360 and I had a bad experience, the game itself looks fun but I couldn't get a game going, there was no was a small amount of people online (I know it's late but in Halo you can find a match any time of the day) and yea no one really knew how to play the game...

YakiSOBA

my name is YakiS0BA, if you're an active tf2 player could you add me as a friend? i feel so lonely!

btw.. it's a zero, not a 'O' in my name, someone else already took yakisoba :(

sharkie said:
Had a great game going tonight, medics were definitely on it tonight Puyo was as fantastic as ever Sporklet (I'm sure I'm slightly off with the name) Ein and Linkz (when he was bothered :p ) cheers lads :D

I am not a big fan of playing with the medic because im not used to sticking with one guy, everytime someone else calls out for help I run off to heal them.

and on that one map with the train, I swear I got hit like 3 times by it when the ubercharge was just full, all at the exact same spot.

sharkie

Linkzg said:
I am not a big fan of playing with the medic because im not used to sticking with one guy, everytime someone else calls out for help I run off to heal them.

and on that one map with the train, I swear I got hit like 3 times by it when the ubercharge was just full, all at the exact same spot.

Yeah that bloody train it gets the best of us sometimes, I got so engrossed into getting back into an intense firefight the other day and got floored by it 6 times in one round.

1-D_FTW

You can hear when the train is coming though. I know I was really annoyed in the beginning. But you definitely get a warning to clear the tracks. I haven't gotten splattered in a while now.

Dirtbag

I've only spent an hour or two with TF2 (360) and so far I'm kind of letdown. This is coming from someone who came up on Team Fortress (Quakemod), and I'm having trouble putting my finger on what I don't like.

Some initial dislikes:

It may have been my connection last night, but the netcode felt a little rough combined with the strange pauses after you are killed, it all made for a glitchy feeling experience.

NO GRENADES?! They were my favorite part of Team Fortress. I miss cooking my e.m.p. or raining down hellfire with the demo-man's cluster grenades. Without them, I feel so limited in attacks.

The level design leaves a lot to be desired for me to. I don't like how coralled off the levels are thanks to the garage doors everywhere nor how some levels feel like a straight line.

Weapon Feedback, nothing has weight or kick. I can't stand that. Nothing was feeling like it connected, even the sniper rifle felt awkward, and don't get me started on the rocket launcher. It feels so..... puny, for lack of a better word.

I'll give it some more time.

dr3upmushroom said:
Guess all the action is going on in the PC realm... Tried playing it on the 360 and I had a bad experience, the game itself looks fun but I couldn't get a game going, there was no was a small amount of people online (I know it's late but in Halo you can find a match any time of the day) and yea no one really knew how to play the game...
Hopefully that will change in time. But I feel the same way.

Cheeto

1-D_FTW said:
You can hear when the train is coming though. I know I was really annoyed in the beginning. But you definitely get a warning to clear the tracks. I haven't gotten splattered in a while now.
You also get a visual cue from the lights near the gates.

traveler

Not Wario
Played a ton last night and absolutely loved it. With some time, this could be my favorite mp experience of the year. (Although I've always been a more team-oriented guy, so it's not really that much of a surprise) Even ended up in a round with BenjaminBirdie here randomly.

Couple things of note:
-Spy is the most rewarding class easily. (Dunno which is the most fun) There's simply no equal to turning your back towards the enemy team, disguising yourself as an Engineer, slipping in during an attack, and then proceeding to sap every single one of their turrets and backstab every single one of their Engineers.
-Maps look amazing and the design is great, but I do wish they had varied the enviroments a bit. (It seems like every place is a variant on a desert of some kind.)
-2fort is really fun. Were the guys complaining about it here just tired of playing it so many times before or did you legitimately not like it?
-Developer commentary really shows a lot of the care that I'm sure is put into many games, but actually pointed out here.
-I've actually been playing pretty much every class besides the Heavy regularly. I thought before that I would end up specializing, but they're each fun enough on their own that I can change based on the battle and still have fun.
-Only two problems: got quite a bit of lag in some games last night; (others ran fine) I'm hoping this was only the hosts and not a general trait of the game. Other is a bit more substantial- the controls. Everything feels a little detached: the accuracy, getting hit, (I hate to do this, but, compared to Halo, which varies the frequency of the beeps, flashes your entire screen, shakes your controller, and places the health in a prominent position of your screen, TF2's detection is kinda weak.) and even hitting enemies. But, besides those issues, I don't really have any other problems with the game. (Now if only people on Live would actually communicate with me.)

Edit: Added my info to the 360 thread.

keiichi

Played TF2 the other night for the first time, i'm not really a fan of FPS too much but all the hype got to me plus I really wanted to try out Portal. In short, TF2 was amazing, an hour blew by like nothing.

I found a noob friendly server and looked at the characters available and the characters on the team and ended up playing a Medic which was more satisfying than I thought it would be, the weapons took a little time to get used to, and unfortunately I wasn't able to communicate to my team mates because I couldn't pull up the chat box :/ .

Few quick questions though:
1. How do you pull up the console? I thought it was ~ but nothing came up when I hit that. (is that the only way to change screenshot formats?)
2. How can a Medic buff a person past 100% life? Just continue to concentrate the beam on the person? I couldn't determine a visual clue.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Linkzg said:

I always laugh when that happens to someone... on the other team.

traveler said:
-2fort is really fun. Were the guys complaining about it here just tired of playing it so many times before or did you legitimately not like it?
Well, I think part of it is fatigue from playing it so much on TFC. The other part is when you start to play more on the new maps, 2fort starts to feel stodgy. And early on (and maybe this still occurs on pub servers) you'll sometimes get stuck in an Engineer/Spy war... and that gets old really fast.

keiichi said:
1. How do you pull up the console? I thought it was ~ but nothing came up when I hit that. (is that the only way to change screenshot formats?)
2. How can a Medic buff a person past 100% life? Just continue to concentrate the beam on the person? I couldn't determine a visual clue.
You have to enable the console in Options. I think it's in the advanced menu under Keyboard.

As far as the medic buff goes, continue to heal them past 100%. You should be able to see a white outline of their health meter/cross expand.

Icy

Banned
keiichi said:
Played TF2 the other night for the first time, i'm not really a fan of FPS too much but all the hype got to me plus I really wanted to try out Portal. In short, TF2 was amazing, an hour blew by like nothing.

I found a noob friendly server and looked at the characters available and the characters on the team and ended up playing a Medic which was more satisfying than I thought it would be, the weapons took a little time to get used to, and unfortunately I wasn't able to communicate to my team mates because I couldn't pull up the chat box :/ .

Few quick questions though:

Default is Y for everyone and U for team chat.

1-D_FTW

traveler said:
Played a ton last night and absolutely loved it. With some time, this could be my favorite mp experience of the year. (Although I've always been a more team-oriented guy, so it's not really that much of a surprise) Even ended up in a round with BenjaminBirdie here randomly.

Couple things of note:
-Spy is the most rewarding class easily. (Dunno which is the most fun) There's simply no equal to turning your back towards the enemy team, disguising yourself as an Engineer, slipping in during an attack, and then proceeding to sap every single one of their turrets and backstab every single one of their Engineers.
-Maps look amazing and the design is great, but I do wish they had varied the enviroments a bit. (It seems like every place is a variant on a desert of some kind.)
-Developer commentary really shows a lot of the care that I'm sure is put into many games, but actually pointed out here.
-I've actually been playing pretty much every class besides the Heavy regularly. I thought before that I would end up specializing, but they're each fun enough on their own that I can change based on the battle and still have fun.
-Only two problems: got quite a bit of lag in some games last night; (others ran fine) I'm hoping this was only the hosts and not a general trait of the game. Other is a bit more substantial- the controls. Everything feels a little detached: the accuracy, getting hit, (I hate to do this, but, compared to Halo, which varies the frequency of the beeps, flashes your entire screen, shakes your controller, and places the health in a prominent position of your screen, TF2's detection is kinda weak.) and even hitting enemies. But, besides those issues, I don't really have any other problems with the game. (Now if only people on Live would actually communicate with me.)

Edit: Added my info to the 360 thread.

Do that to my team and I'll flambe your ass. That's like bat signal to all pyros. "A spy is sapping turret," is call to burn everything within sight of the turrets

Fort2Fort complaining on my part was because it took too long and showed up too frequently. I don't hate the map. It's just when points are so hard to come by and map rotation consisted of 3 points per round and 4 rounds per match... it was nearly impossible.

Plus, it's a lot funner IMO when there's less people. 12v12 makes the defenses really strong.

Plus, every time Icy reset the server, it'd default back to Fort2Fort and you'd have to start all over again.

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
Why do you keep saying "fort2fort"?

Well, I've admitted I need to start paying attention with the map names. True name duly noted. Last time I say it like that.

For some reason I burned that into my brain as that name. Two identical forts facing off against one another = Fort2Fort.

Thanks again for fixing the server last night Icy, I was craving to play TF2 last night since I'll be out of town for a few days. I played 30mins of 1v1 Medic battle waiting for more people to join..it was intense!

First off, what was up with that Hostile! (?) guy last night lol. He kept screaming when he didn't get MVP even though: 1) his team lost 2) he was ranked at bottom of his team. He kept yelling he was the best player for getting a kill and basically had a conversation on his cell phone with a friend :lol

Saw alot of new players last night so it made for some interesting rounds of Gravel and Well since most people didn't know where to go.

I still dunno about the new way stats are calculated. Seems like most people will be grouped just around 1300-1500, and alot of new people who play a short time with a high K:D ratio will be high. Also, Rocket kills get 1.5x points compared to 1x for MG/pyro/etc? So getting killed by a soldier causes you to lose more than getting killed by a Heavy? Seems strange.

Whoa at Jotun getting 223 kills just last night??!! LOL at my 17 kills, but 184 kill assists :lol

Hitokage said:
omg: Haha, yeah, "most valuable loser" was all he could hope for.
Oh yeah and when he kept begging Icy to let him join our "team?" Icy kept telling him we just post on a message board but he kept insisting to join the "team" and win "leagues" and stuff :lol

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
Oh yeah and when he kept begging Icy to let him join our "team?" Icy kept telling him we just post on a message board but he kept insisting to join the "team" and win "leagues" and stuff :lol

yeah who the f was that fucktard again? I need to ban him.

Dave Long

Banned
Played through Portal last night so I'll be back on TF2 tonight. Orange Box is easily the best deal in gaming this year next to Gametap.

Why did I buy Halo 3 again? I've played it ONE time.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Dave Long said:
Played through Portal last night so I'll be back on TF2 tonight. Orange Box is easily the best deal in gaming this year next to Gametap.
Finished Portal and I think I'm halfway through Episode 2. It's pretty good so far, but I hate how it cut into my TF2 time.

Damn Valve, and their entertaining value pack!

Daigoro

Dave Long said:

the dude in your avatar would not be pleased.

but i am! lets play some TF2! :D

Icy

Banned
Dave Long said:

I forgive you my son.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I played my first game of TF2 this afternoon and... I dunno. I just wasn't really feeling it. I think a BIG part of the problem is that I was playing with a group of randoms who weren't really communicating that much, but even besides that, something about the gunplay felt "off" - it's hard for me to put my finger on it.

I tried every character class once but was only able to get kills as a spy and a heavy - the weapons for everyone else (shotgun especially) just seemed ineffective.

It's like... the game WANTS to be strategic, with medics, and engineers and whatnot, but it's too frantic and fast-paced. The game design seems a little schizophrenic in that regard - is it a twitch game or isn't it? It has a foot in both design worlds, it seems.

Ima keep at it though. Try and learn the maps, try and get into some GAF games where people play together. But for a first game, the fun factor was a little light.

Ravager61

GDJustin said:
I played my first game of TF2 this afternoon and... I dunno. I just wasn't really feeling it. I think a BIG part of the problem is that I was playing with a group of randoms who weren't really communicating that much, but even besides that, something about the gunplay felt "off" - it's hard for me to put my finger on it.

I tried every character class once but was only able to get kills as a spy and a heavy - the weapons for everyone else (shotgun especially) just seemed ineffective.

It's like... the game WANTS to be strategic, with medics, and engineers and whatnot, but it's too frantic and fast-paced. The game design seems a little schizophrenic in that regard - is it a twitch game or isn't it? It has a foot in both design worlds, it seems.

Ima keep at it though. Try and learn the maps, try and get into some GAF games where people play together. But for a first game, the fun factor was a little light.

Certain weapons do different things. Obviously you need to be close to someone to do any damage with shotgun but even then it might take a few direct hits to take someone down. I think in this game its all about learning what weapon/strategy is effective in a given situation. Once you start to get a grasp on that, the game really opens up.

Jacobi

Banned
GDJustin said:

1. Switch the server if that's the case, for beginners Japanese servers are good.

2. They aren't ineffective, play pyro for an effective wespon

3. It is VERY strategic if both teams know what they're doing. Communication is a problem because voice chat isn't 100% available, but it often works without it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I also think character movement seems too fast. I've played Halo 3 custom games with movement jacked up to like 300% and people still weren't zipping around the map they were on my game of 2fort.

Like... I'm not an FPS PRO but I'm pretty decent, and I couldn't hit shit most of the time.

Cheeto

GDJustin said:

Are you playing the 360 version?

Playing with random people who don't communicate and work as a team makes playing the game more frustrating than anything. You keep dying, everybody is doing their own thing, and it sucks. The game is TEAM fortress so give it another chance playing with some GAFers or at least people who work together/communicate and you will probably enjoy it more.

Icy

Banned
GDJustin said:
I also think character movement seems too fast. I've played Halo 3 custom games with movement jacked up to like 300% and people still weren't zipping around the map they were on my game of 2fort.

Like... I'm not an FPS PRO but I'm pretty decent, and I couldn't hit shit most of the time.

Its designed for a PC with a keyboard and mouse. Not for a controller.

traveler

Not Wario
WhatRuOn said:
There's much less aim assist in the console versions then other games. That might be what seems "off".

I noticed that too. Fortunately, this game also involves a lot less precision accuracy than other games. (Engineering turrets, running around as a scout, infiltrating as a spy, etc.) They do need to tune it up a bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom