• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Google

Hitokage said:
Huh? The atmosphere is fairly amicable on the neogaf server.

Good to hear - on the public server last night there were "Fag" retorts being thrown around all over the place...

But yeah, I saw a little bit of n00b bashing earlier on in this thread...

We were all there once.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Uh, yeah, I don't care for that either, and fortunately I'm in a position to do something about it when I see it.

Although getting warcock to mend his ways will take some work. ;)

Cheeto

Google said:
Good to hear - on the public server last night there were "Fag" retorts being thrown around all over the place...

We were all there once.
Showing my smiley crotch to a failed spy is not n00b bashing...if it is, blame Valve.

Google

Hitokage said:
Uh, yeah, I don't care for that either, and fortunately I'm in a position to do something about it when I see it.

It's all good - I'd like to play with you guys, but unfortunately I dont have nearly as much time as some, and thus my skills arent nearly as refined (and never will be).

Perhaps I'll see you guys this weekend!

Microphone approved player here also!

Davidion

Hitokage said:
Huh? The atmosphere is fairly amicable on the neogaf server.

Agreed. I don't think a lot of regulars would take kindly to some obscenity-shouting asshole.

Time to get back to this game after HL2/Portal fest the last few days. I miss it already.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Google said:
It's all good - I'd like to play with you guys, but unfortunately I dont have nearly as much time as some, and thus my skills arent nearly as refined (and never will be).
I don't play nearly as much as a lot of other gaffers, but I have a huge amount of FPS experience to begin with. ;)

1-D_FTW

Was anyone else not aware you could change classes during sudden death?

Was playing yesterday and a British(?) dude pointed out you can change classes until you leave the supply room. It's nice to be able to switch out of Pyro since sudden death is played so cautiously.

Davidion

1-D_FTW said:
Was anyone else not aware you could change classes during sudden death?

Was playing yesterday and a British(?) dude pointed out you can change classes until you leave the supply room. It's nice to be able to switch out of Pyro since sudden death is played so cautiously.

It's technically not death if you change in the supply room. You don't commit suicide when you change classes.

Edit: goddammit

Dave Long

Banned
Davidion said:
Agreed. I don't think a lot of regulars would take kindly to some obscenity-shouting asshole.

Time to get back to this game after HL2/Portal fest the last few days. I miss it already.
I can shout obscenities with the best of them, so any obscenity-shouting asshole who hopped on the servers would quickly get shouted down. :)

Hitokage said:
I don't play nearly as much as a lot of other gaffers, but I have a huge amount of FPS experience to begin with. ;)
There certainly is a benefit to being old and having downloaded DOOM off a BBS back in 1993. :)

Icy

Banned
Google said:

We were all there once.

I can understand obscenities to a point. I use them all of us do. Like my classic one last night (Didn't use the mic though)

"GOD DAMN YOU HITKAGE. MISSLE TOTING ASSHOLE.." :lol :lol

However.. when people start using ehtnic/racial slurs and such.. fuck that.

I have no quams over banning people. Hell I banned some random fucktard bitching about his wait to get on the server (not a neogaf user).

So feel free to use the @chat to let us know about the issues as we can't hear people from the opposite team on their chat.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It does feel awkward though when everyone is "TFC this, TFC that" when you were an avid player of the original Team Fortress and never got on the Half-Life bandwagon until well after the platinum pack was released(and even then it was mostly for CS1.5).

And yeah, I pirated Doom 1, Doom 2, and Quake 1 from floppies given by a friend, and they're pretty much the only PC games I ever pirated. I remember trying out WASD+mlook for the first time on Quake 1 and being completely disoriented for a short period of time. :lol

Davidion

Dave Long said:
I can shout obscenities with the best of them, so any obscenity-shouting asshole who hopped on the servers would quickly get shouted down. :)

There certainly is a benefit to being old and having downloaded DOOM off a BBS back in 1993. :)

Ok, I meant the "fag", "dirty jew" and other similar kind of ignorant nonsense, obviously. :lol

In fact now that I think about it, I'm not expressive enough when I play. I'll be sure to curse out the incompetent HWguy that I'm uber'ing next time.

Better yet, I'll just shut it off in the middle of a charge and run away. Just kidding. Maybe.

But I digress...

Google

Icy said:
I can understand obscenities to a point. I use them all of us do. Like my classic one last night (Didn't use the mic though)

"GOD DAMN YOU HITKAGE. MISSLE TOTING ASSHOLE.." :lol :lol

However.. when people start using ehtnic/racial slurs and such.. fuck that.

I have no quams over banning people. Hell I banned some random fucktard bitching about his wait to get on the server (not a neogaf user).

So feel free to use the @chat to let us know about the issues as we can't hear people from the opposite team on their chat.

I'm all for calling each other cunts, but just randomly being on a server and being called a Fag over and over again...

Fucking hell...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
We all do stupid things. I've completely wasted a couple ubercharges and I once got Puyo killed by retreating suddenly without warning.

Dave Long

Banned
Hitokage said:
It does feel awkward though when everyone is "TFC this, TFC that" when you were an avid player of the original Team Fortress and never got on the Half-Life bandwagon until well after the platinum pack was released(and even then it was mostly for CS1.5).

And yeah, I pirated Doom 1, Doom 2, and Quake 1 from floppies given by a friend, and they're pretty much the only PC games I ever pirated. I remember trying out WASD+mlook for the first time on Quake 1 and being completely disoriented for a short period of time. :lol
Hey now, I didn't pirate Doom. Shareware was the only way to get it and then pay for the rest!

I have a good story about mouselook. I was hardcore keyboard only. Didn't even understand why you'd want to use the mouse because I was damn good with the keys. Circle strafing, vertical shots, you name it. Pretty decent player. The clan I was in had mostly keys guys and our leader was top notch. This was very early in the Quake 1 days.

I get on a public server one night and this random guy is pwning me and everyone else. I ask what he's doing and find out he's using mouse/keys. So I tried it out... first in single player, then online.

Next time our clan is just messing around, I'm using mouse/keys. I'm cleaning up. The head dude is getting beaten down. Finally, he's standing at the very top of a map with only sky around him. No way I could have ever hit him with a rocket up there with keys only, you just can't be that precise with speed much like you can't with a gamepad, but I whip around and launch a rocket and splatter him with a shot RIGHT IN THE FACE!

Dude was playing mouse/keys the next night and forever more.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:

I am guilty of the same. and of the disoriented thing.. it was so "strange"

WARCOCK

Banned
Hey i have a request from midwest and westcoast users. Please populate server 2. I know everybody plays on 1 but for westcoast users we get approx 120 ping, which is AWFUL for an fps. Well at least classes where you need to aim i.e sniper,scout, soldier. So anyways PLAY ON 2 IF YOUR WEST. PLEASE.

ALSO. I want the TF2 theme as my cellphone ring tone, any clues on how to procede?

Dave Long

Banned
WARCOCK said:
Hey i have a request from midwest and westcoast users. Please populate server 2. I know everybody plays on 1 but for westcoast users we get approx 120 ping, which is AWFUL for an fps. Well at least classes where you need to aim i.e sniper,scout, soldier. So anyways PLAY ON 2 IF YOUR WEST. PLEASE.

ALSO. I want the TF2 theme as my cellphone ring tone, any clues on how to procede?
No no. Play on the East Coast one so I can dominate you with my 24 ping. :)

WARCOCK

Banned
Dave Long said:
No no. Play on the East Coast one so I can dominate you with my 24 ping. :)[/Q]

Sorry the term dominate requires a minimum of a 2:1 k:d ratio. You can use "if i ever kill warcock its because i can predict his trajectory and prefire, but given that he is a scout that is kinda impossible so its really just random area spamming". That sounds more appropriate.
LOL.

Dirtbag

Hitokage said:

Team Fortress Quake mod was so far ahead of it's time. That much is aparant to me now.
I miss the grenades too :(

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Dave Long said:
Hey now, I didn't pirate Doom. Shareware was the only way to get it and then pay for the rest!
Well, I did get my mom to buy a shareware floppy of wolf3d and a couple other games when I was in elementary school.

Dirtbag: MegaTF moreso. It actually had audible footsteps! That being said, Quake 1 and quake 1 mods in general were far more innovative than many people give credit for.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
Well, I did get my mom to buy a shareware floppy of wolf3d and a couple other games when I was in elementary school.

Dirtbag: MegaTF moreso. It actually had audible footsteps! That being said, Quake 1 and quake 1 mods in general were far more innovative than many people give credit for.

Quake 1 mods paved the way for standard game types/methods/etc in current FPS...

Dave Long

Banned
Icy said:
Quake 1 mods paved the way for standard game types/methods/etc in current FPS...
Yup. Quake was the first place this stuff happened. Grapple hook. Team Fortress. Headhunters. CTF. Rocket Arena. So many good times.

I really loved Headhunters and Rocket Arena back then. So creative and both made you a better player, too. Seeing a guy with about eight heads trailing after him... and knowing there were some people watching from within that trail of heads was just plain awesome.

I made a bunch of DOOM and Heretic maps, but map making was a far cry from what came in the Quake era, not to mention the introduction of 3D hardware acceleration. Wonder where my Rendition Verite card is today?

Icy

Banned
Tonight is going to be anarchy.

0 Second Repawn

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Icy said:
Tonight is going to be anarchy.

0 Second Repawn

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Oh geez... the last point in Granary is going to take forever now. :lol :lol

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
That's adjustable now? Wow...

I don't mind respawn timers, just when they're terribly long.

Nope. Server mod.

I can also play sounds during a map, and setup a map vote.
And some other things.. Hito and Que I sent you a private message on it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I really can't say if I prefer near-instant respawn, but I'll be damned if this doesn't take me back to the feel of the original TF.

This is almost what it was like when I first learned how to survive, or failing that, bring as many as I can down with me. :D

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Hitokage said:
Just that while I can tell which people on that list are possibly better than I am, you aren't one of those people. ;)

I'll take that as confirmation that you are bitter about it. :D

I kid, I kid.

1-D_FTW

fallengorn said:
Oh geez... the last point in Granary is going to take forever now. :lol :lol

Isn't it more like impossible? I don't see how a team could play so badly they'd give it up with instant respawns.

Dirtbag 504 said:
Your not alone. I don't think TF2 plays very well on the 360 either. I think the reviews of the 360 version have been a little too generous. The game is definitely PC first and it really shows.
It is meant for a keyboard and mouse. The game chugs a bit on the 360 to.

yeah I agree. TF2 is still pretty enjoyable though, ESPECIALLY if you play your role right. I learned that run-n-gunnin' my way with a scout isn't very effective. :lol

Any 360 gaffers up for some matches tonite? I'll be on mostly playing this unless friends hit me up with H3. I'll be on from 6pm till probably 2-3 in the morning, west coast time(gmt -8).

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
I really can't say if I prefer near-instant respawn, but I'll be damned if this doesn't take me back to the feel of the original TF.

This is almost what it was like when I first learned how to survive, or failing that, bring as many as I can down with me. :D

Right now the respawn option can only be the full 15 second intervals or not at all...

JoeFu

Banned
Jumped all the way up to 3 today!!

I was playing with a medic and I was a heavy. We were just dominating. On Gravelpit, I had like 50 something kills with 10 deaths. I t was awesome.

YakiSOBA

Hey guys, not sure if anyone knows if theres a fix for this..

i convinced my roomate to purchase TF2 last night and it finished downloading this morning... when he runs the game, everything happens as it should... chooses a server, logs into server.. and right at the "Welcome screen" (the chalkboard) things go to shits...

the audio starts looping over and over, and everything just gets insanely slow and chunky (ie: you click the continue button and nothing happens for like 1min..)

I just checked the steam support forums but it doesn't look like it's common problem :(

His laptop is a Toshiba "Tecra" model, windows vista business, 3gb ram, onboard sound/video as far as i can tell, has directx 9.0.. i know it's your typical "futureshop/bestbuy/etc" laptop, but he just got it last week, it *should* be able to run TF2 (with everything on LOW, 800x600..etc) shouldn't it? :S

Icy

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
Hey guys, not sure if anyone knows if theres a fix for this..

i convinced my roomate to purchase TF2 last night and it finished downloading this morning... when he runs the game, everything happens as it should... chooses a server, logs into server.. and right at the "Welcome screen" (the chalkboard) things go to shits...

the audio starts looping over and over, and everything just gets insanely slow and chunky (ie: you click the continue button and nothing happens for like 1min..)

I just checked the steam support forums but it doesn't look like it's common problem :(

His laptop is a Toshiba "Tecra" model, windows vista business, 3gb ram, onboard sound/video as far as i can tell, has directx 9.0.. i know it's your typical "futureshop/bestbuy/etc" laptop, but he just got it last week, it *should* be able to run TF2 (with everything on LOW, 800x600..etc) shouldn't it? :S

Make sure he has all the latest drivers for everything. There is a somewhat of a problem
with a memory leak/error tghat occurs freakishly and causes a game crash with a looping sound. Some people who get it, get it at the game bootup, others 5 minutes into the game or.. randomly.. Make sure when he boots the game he isn't minimizing it as that generlaly kicks it into gear.

maus

Finally got the o box today (best buy sux), mind has already been blown multiple times. Valve is still so amazingly good at their craft, not having played anything new since DoD:S has sucked, i now realize. I also realize i probably should've bought ep1 when it came out because valve's games are still leagues beyond most anything else out there, such an amazing experience so far. Worst packaging ever though, guess valve's pretty serious about this new era of digital distribution...

TF2 runs exceptionally well, by my suprise. My 3.0ghz and x700 can manage 1440x900 with 4aa + 4aaf, a couple settings notched down, very steady frames, looks amazing.

Neogaf sure is popular though, huh. Both servers full the few times i've checked. Hope I can join you guys tonight sometime.

1-D_FTW

maus said:
Finally got the o box today (best buy sux), mind has already been blown multiple times. Valve is still so amazingly good at their craft, not having played anything new since DoD:S has sucked, i now realize. I also realize i probably should've bought ep1 when it came out because valve's games are still leagues beyond most anything else out there, such an amazing experience so far. Worst packaging ever though, guess valve's pretty serious about this new era of digital distribution...

TF2 runs exceptionally well, by my suprise. My 3.0ghz and x700 can manage 1440x900 with 4aa + 4aaf, a couple settings notched down, very steady frames, looks amazing.

Neogaf sure is popular though, huh. Both servers full the few times i've checked. Hope I can join you guys tonight sometime.

I think they're popular because people get good pings on them. I checked about 1.5 hours ago on one of the servers and there wasn't a single gaffer on (So I started Episode 2 for the first time.)

Seriously, I alphabetized the names in the server info and cross referenced everyone who'd signed up into GAF community and there wasn't a single match among the online members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom