• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

artist

Banned
14y0jgm.jpg

51ts8n.jpg

w1v12.jpg

Icy

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
God, just got out of the worst experience I've had on Live in a long time. Fucking lagging and disconnects. WTF Valve, fix this shit!!

many people are starting game servers using their xbox you probably were on one of those.

maus

Icy said:
many people are starting game servers using their xbox you probably were on one of those.
wait, tf2 doesn't have cross-platform play does it? wouldn't all the servers have to be started on a 360?

maus

TF2 for pc anyway, has pretty damn fantastic netcode it seems. All my games have been flawless. I'm looking at a japanese server; 20 people, 200 ping. Thinking of hopping in just to see how it is...lol. To think i once played CS at 350 ping on servers 50 miles away a mere 5 years ago.

AgentOtaku said:
....fix this shit Valve!....TF2 on Live is almost always unplayable!
There's likely nothing that can be done, seeing as the problem's not with the code, the problem's with the lack of dedicated servers.

Icy

Banned
maus said:
TF2 for pc anyway, has pretty damn fantastic netcode it seems. All my games have been flawless. I'm looking at a japanese server; 20 people, 200 ping. Thinking of hopping in just to see how it is...lol. To think i once played CS at 350 ping on servers 50 miles away a mere 5 years ago.

the netcode is nowhere near the speed and level of CS: Source.
In terms of Live there are some dedicated servers, but most are user hosted thus where you run into the lag issue.

Valve's offices have both PC and Xbox 360s playing on the same servers, but due to Live and MS.. not happening in the real world.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
We just had some AWESOME MATCHES guys, job well done, that was a BLAST. Sorry for all the knives in your backs :p

Then the map changed to warpath and the fun was gone :(

Icy

Banned
warpath custom beta is out.. its having a weird respawn issue on my servers.. getting with the mapper to figure it out... images!

tcwarpathb10003tl3.jpg

tcwarpathb10004zu8.jpg

Joe Molotov

OMGWTFBBQ at the round of Warpath we just had. It did wonders for my server rank; I think I got 100 kills in about two minutes. :lol

Quagm1r3

PillowKnight said:
There's likely nothing that can be done, seeing as the problem's not with the code, the problem's with the lack of dedicated servers.

True. 1 of 2 things will hopefully happen for console multiplayer games in general for better connections;

1. Better connections (SUPER HIGH SPEED?) for the common game hoster or
2. Dedicated servers will become the norm for all multiplayer games (hosted courtesy of the game distributers).

Unfortunately it's too early for TF2.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Theres a dude in the rankings now with a KPD of 120.80 (604kills / 5 deaths)! :lol And he got that score in the space of 15 minutes. Icy what happened on Warpath? lol

140.85 said:
Theres a dude in the rankings now with a KPD of 120.80 (604kills / 5 deaths)! :lol And he got that score in the space of 15 minutes. Icy what happened on Warpath? lol
The blue team and red team respawned in the same location, those guys just changed to heavies and fired non stop next to a health station. Add instant respawns to that and..yeah. I escaped as a scout, lol. I left the server sometime after.

Icy

Banned
140.85 said:

wow. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Player has been banned for exploiting the community. :lol

Icy

Banned
140.85 said:

and now there was a dude.

Icy

Banned
I've added fast downloading to the servers. Now if you connect and its a custom map that you do not have, your TF2 client will connect to my seperate webserver and download a compressed file of the map and decompress it for your playing pleasure. Much much much faster this way. :D

Icy

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
i cant stand playing on random servers after playing on gaf last night... its so much more organized!

Your welcome. :)

There's a new update to the admin mod I use and there's a respawn counter with it, but its buggy.. I may test it on 1 of the servers later to see how well it works.

Map vote isn't working yet.. next release it should.

Icy

Banned
keiichi said:
What time do people normally show up? I sometimes see 0 people then 5 mins later it's all full :)

Basically once a few gaffers start playing.. random public people join up and people like to join servers that have poeple of course. and it just goes insane from ther. :)

woeds

Had some fun games just now. And WTH, Icy thought it would be fun to spawn one of the players from the other team in our spawn when setting up :lol

Icy

Banned
Well Doing some tests on Server #2.

Right now after you die, you get to take your screen shot and then you'll get a 5 second timer to repsawn instead of the 15.

Lhadatt

Icy said:
Well Doing some tests on Server #2.

Right now after you die, you get to take your screen shot and then you'll get a 5 second timer to repsawn instead of the 15.
Cool. A request: if that test doesn't work out, could you tweak server 2 to run with the 15 second respawn please? I know we've been over this, but after more playtime I'm finding I don't like 0 respawn, and some other guys have voiced similar opinions during games.

It's up to you of course, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Doytch

Speaking of screenshots, has anyone figured out how to grab the death screenshots without the "You've been killed by ____" text?

is it just me or has the amount of noobs without a steam avatar increased substantially since the games official release. Maybe I've just been unlucky the past few servers I've played on, but some of the noob behaviour is hilarious and frustrating at the same time. Like engineers building sentries at your first capture zone which is locked by the 2 zones infront of it. Nice one!

Lhadatt

MrPing1000 said:
is it just me or has the amount of noobs without a steam avatar increased substantially since the games official release. Maybe I've just been unlucky the past few servers I've played on, but some of the noob behaviour is hilarious and frustrating at the same time. Like engineers building sentries at your first capture zone which is locked by the 2 zones infront of it. Nice one!
It's just people learning the game. Just because it's been out in beta for a few weeks before release doesn't mean everyone who was going to buy it got it right then.

1-D_FTW

The soldier started clicking with me and I like him more than the pyro now.

MrPing1000 said:

I don't have an avatar cause I'm to lazy to add one.

Those were some fun games. It's fun to dominate.

Got auto-switched twice cause people kept quitting. Was gonna play on the other team, but when the medic asked how you uber-charged, I'd figured it was a good time to quit.

Jacobi

Banned
Hi, why was I banned from the NeoGAF server (SteamID CaptainJacko)? Just tried to enter and it said I was banned... It's really sad, yesterday I was able to enter because the servers were full and today I was banned... I love playing on the NeoGaf server :(

now i don't know if i should open my 360 version if the online play is terrible. i want to play half life single player too but dang...

anymore comments from 360 gamers on your experience?

Ravager61

Goin to play on the GAF server tonight. Do you guys usually play there or on random servers? Ive played on the GAF servers a few times but ive never seen any GAF people on them.

So for stats, does "most points" equate to the most kills/points you generated with one life? If so, am I the only one who wants to be able to filter points by most in one life, most in one game, and overall?

Icy

Banned
Ravager61 said:
Goin to play on the GAF server tonight. Do you guys usually play there or on random servers? Ive played on the GAF servers a few times but ive never seen any GAF people on them.

there's quite a bit of GAF players on them. Quite a few do not use their GAF forum name either.

Me and SCG are using :[NeoGAF]: Before our names :)

Icy

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
So for stats, does "most points" equate to the most kills/points you generated with one life? If so, am I the only one who wants to be able to filter points by most in one life, most in one game, and overall?

Stats has nothing to do with the TF2 scoring system.

Goto http://neogaf.hlstatsx.com/

and You can see the current stats, and tne modifiers for the points award for kills with which specific weapons, assists,etc.

Also note you lose 1/4 the points your killer is awarded.

Yeah, I'm SCG on Steam. I had a great game on gravelyard, both attacking and defending, as a pyro. But I wasn't on fire, every one else was.:D

1-D_FTW

Up to #12.

Jesus, JB has over 300 kills in 55 minutes? I hope you're not having any more screwed up matches, Icy. That's nuts. At least he did his damage with the flamethrower.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm going on now. 360 TF2, Y2Kevbug15. Message me if you want to play.

edit: holy crap, the lag makes it unplayable

Firestorm

I'm getting really interested in this game. When my friends who almost exclusively pirate games are gladly paying full price I know something goods there. However I don't often play PC games and you guys with your "godammit stop doing stupid things" is intimidating me =(

I'll probably give in and buy this soon.

Icy

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I'm going on now. 360 TF2, Y2Kevbug15. Message me if you want to play.

edit: holy crap, the lag makes it unplayable

99.999999999% of the ppl in this thread are on the PC.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Icy said:
99.999999999% of the ppl in this thread are on the PC.

I'm looking for some place to get 360 gamers together, but all we have is the GT thread. L'sob. :)

Anyway, I played in 12 player games and they ran nicely and were SO FUN.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wish i could rejoin you guys, new server's seem to give me a higher ping. Somewhere in the 300's now, which probably wouldn't be good for the team im on :lol

But i just loaded it up for the first time in a few days, have the solder's rocket's gotten faster ? They seemed like they had, but it could very well just be my imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom