• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone start a 360-only thread? seems like about 10% of the people in this thread are playing the 360 version and im tired of wading through all the pc-related posts :/

that or someone buy me a gaming pc!

Sanjay

really good server, alot of teamwork and spy intel been given out. will play here more often great work icy keep it up.

1009_random.png

"can someone start a 360-only thread? seems like about 10% of the people in this thread are playing the 360 version and im tired of wading through all the pc-related posts :/

that or someone buy me a gaming pc!"

You could make one yourself.

Nah, that's crazy talk.

Coop

So I've been playing the 360 version a little bit the past couple of days and I noticed the demo has 6 nades. Does anybody know if Valve is planning on doing the same for the PC?

Icy

Banned
Coop said:
So I've been playing the 360 version a little bit the past couple of days and I noticed the demo has 6 nades. Does anybody know if Valve is planning on doing the same for the PC?

not anytime soon.

Lhadatt

Stopsign said:
I won't play on GAF server 'till I get better at the game. Seems so far I'm best as Sniper, Engineer, Heavy, and Demoman. I think those are all the noob classes though. Spies are definitely my least favorite class. I think 60% of my deaths were from spies in the 4-5 hours I played.
There are no noob classes in TF2. Each one is balanced fairly and no class has an unfair advantage over another.

For instance, I'm playing pyro alot more than I did at the start of the beta. He has fire and is good at disrupting the enemy (especially when they are trying to carry out a coordinated op), but is vulnerable to just about everything. He's speedy, but only has 175 HP, so it's easy to take him out. I tend to get killed often, but that's primarily because I'm suicidal. :D But the pyro is still incredibly useful, even for new players.

pj

Banned
This game is so awesome

I'm still a super noob at it, but I can see myself playing this for a long time. No class seems to be more popular than the others, which shows how balanced they are, and how there's a useful purpose for all of them.

Except, for some reason, people don't seem to want to be the medic. I just played a 30 minute CTF match without a single medic on either team. I usually end up doing it, because it's pretty easy to get kills, and it helps the team a lot, but I don't want to do it EVERY game

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Icy said:
your ping doesn't effect other players like you think. 2 poeple I know play from Israel and are 300+ and I have had no issue. And there's several EU players who get 80-200 and no issue either.

Hrm i might rejoin the gaf server then and everyone can let me know how i was from their view. If they can see me etc.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I love playing as medic. The only times I don't play as medic is if there are already two or more medics on my team.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Didn't get a chance to get on this weekend. Are the servers still on 0 respawn time? I kinda like the effect of the respawn timers although they were far too long before. I think 5-10 sec would be perfect.

evlcookie said:
Hrm i might rejoin the gaf server then and everyone can let me know how i was from their view. If they can see me etc.

My ping has been hovering around 200-260 and other than the occassional lag, there hasn't been any major problems. No one has complained either.

nataku

140.85 said:
Didn't get a chance to get on this weekend. Are the servers still on 0 respawn time? I kinda like the effect of the respawn timers although they were far too long before. I think 5-10 sec would be perfect.

I'm not sure what the conditions are. Sometimes I respawned instantly, others I had to wait around 8 seconds.

Cheeto

Hey Icy, did you get rid of the Killcam? Last couple times I've played, the killcam only lasts for maybe half a second...

Lhadatt

nataku said:
I'm not sure what the conditions are. Sometimes I respawned instantly, others I had to wait around 8 seconds.
Respawn seems a bit glitchy. Sometimes it's 5 seconds, sometimes less. I think he's using a hack to do this until Valve wakes up and codes better respawn values into the server.

Icy

Banned
Lhadatt said:
Respawn seems a bit glitchy. Sometimes it's 5 seconds, sometimes less. I think he's using a hack to do this until Valve wakes up and codes better respawn values into the server.

Yep its actually set to make sure you respawn within 5 seconds of dieing.

Dave Long

Banned
I'd like to see the respawn timers come back. Part of the reason they exist is to break stalemates. You wipe out a significant portion of the other team and you're able to cap points without much resistance while everyone waits in line to get back in the game.

Removing that has the unintended effect of turning every single level into a buzzsaw of gibs, often without resolution to a conflict that results in even more Sudden Death.

I know it's tempting to mess with the settings on these games all the time, but the more you do that the more you tend to move away from the balance Valve designed into the game's levels and characters.

Dave Long said:
I'd like to see the respawn timers come back. Part of the reason they exist is to break stalemates. You wipe out a significant portion of the other team and you're able to cap points without much resistance while everyone waits in line to get back in the game.

Removing that has the unintended effect of turning every single level into a buzzsaw of gibs, often without resolution to a conflict that results in even more Sudden Death.

I know it's tempting to mess with the settings on these games all the time, but the more you do that the more you tend to move away from the balance Valve designed into the game's levels and characters.

No consequence instant gratification and all that. People these days have no patience for the payoff of surviving and doing well for a long time with the threat of a long respawn hanging over your head.

Back to the topic at hand, I played a 3 hour 0-0 stalemate last night (on a respawn timer enabled server ironically), and it has pretty much killed my interest in this game. It's very well made and I respect it for that, just not really my type of game anymore. :( I have many fond memories of the original way back in the Quakeworld days.

1-D_FTW

wayward archer said:
No consequence instant gratification and all that. People these days have no patience for the payoff of surviving and doing well for a long time with the threat of a long respawn hanging over your head.

Back to the topic at hand, I played a 3 hour 0-0 stalemate last night (on a respawn timer enabled server ironically), and it has pretty much killed my interest in this game. It's very well made and I respect it for that, just not really my type of game anymore. :( I have many fond memories of the original way back in the Quakeworld days.

Was it on 2Fort? Cause Icy has map timers set in place just for this reason.

firex

man. I need to learn to play heavy a bit more. I still play pyro a lot, but I'm noticing most teams I play on could usually use a heavy at some points, and I kind of stink at it despite it being so straightforward. I think mainly it's that I don't use the shotgun enough. I give up on soldier though, I just suck at hitting people with rockets (or grenades for that matter) so I'm better off playing something else. I only really go it to kill a sentry anyway though.

And I'm hoping Valve gets us some new maps within a month or so... I can't say I'm bored of the maps we have now, but new blood would be awesome. Plus I'd like to see their take on some of the classic TFC maps I missed out on.

firex

2fort just doesn't work well without a time limit on it. The map is a really long stalemate where going on offense is tough to do so most people just stick to defense. It's a great map, but ctf just needs a little more tweaking for TF2.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Was it on 2Fort? Cause Icy has map timers set in place just for this reason.

Map timers are handled by the map and not the server. 2 Fort doens't have a "map timer" only goes to a stale mate round or skips it sometimes (still buggy on valve's end) once the map timer is up.

Icy

Banned
There's an all new lazytown with some map changes and timers put in.

I may just throw it on the rotation now.

I picked up the 360 version of Orange Box finally and I've played like three games of Team Fortress 2 so far. I really like it. It definitely offers a basically stress free gameplay experience which I like. It'll serve as a good intervention between Halo 3 and CoD4 multiplayer for me. So far I seem to be best with the Heavy Gunner and Scout but I'm just getting started.:D

Icy

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I picked up the 360 version of Orange Box finally and I've played like three games of Team Fortress 2 so far. I really like it. It definitely offers a basically stress free gameplay experience which I like. It'll serve as a good intervention between Halo 3 and CoD4 multiplayer for me. So far I seem to be best with the Heavy Gunner and Scout but I'm just getting started.:D

Good times.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Icy said:
Respawn timer is back to default.

And Class limits have been up'd
Thanks. Some games can turn out to be huge grinds without this. Plus, I can take screenshots of the killcam again!

Played some good games last night. Finally, got the Impenetrable Defense achievement thanks to being on a great team.

I ordered a headset from newegg, so I can finally use voicechat later this week.

I have been out of town since Thursday, but I'm back and ready to get back on the servers tonight :) So many new people are ranked high on the stats; looking forward to playing with them.

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
I have been out of town since Thursday, but I'm back and ready to get back on the servers tonight :) So many new people are ranked high on the stats; looking forward to playing with them.

You left without permission. DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN AGAIN. :D

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
Map timers are handled by the map and not the server. 2 Fort doens't have a "map timer" only goes to a stale mate round or skips it sometimes (still buggy on valve's end) once the map timer is up.

I just assumed by the random nature of maps changing that it was set up by you. 2Fort definitely could use a 30 minute timer though. Team with most captures wins. Or have it be all scout. Something. Cause it's got about a 1 in 5 chance of being enjoyable.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I just assumed by the random nature of maps changing that it was set up by you. 2Fort definitely could use a 30 minute timer though. Team with most captures wins. Or have it be all scout. Something. Cause it's got about a 1 in 5 chance of being enjoyable.

I'm still waiting on Valve to reenable the gravity cvar... a low gravity round might be some fun.

Icy

Banned
You can play on mine. I had a NeoGAF EU server up and it barely got used. EU players seem to play fine on my servers pigns from 100-200. Even got 2 Israelis playing on it now tih 250 pings.

Icy

Banned
Jacobi said:
I actually played through a game with a 400 ping player already. It also worked...

TF2 server is very well programmed for people with high and ridiculous pings. its amazing.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Haven't played TF before, but bought Orange Box on a whim. Absolutely, loving it so far. I haven't really settled on a favourite class, yet; I want to give them all a good try, learning their kinks. All the talk in this thread has been a huge help for me, though. I feel like I'm getting better just listening to all the debate here in the thread!

I'd love to get in some games with some Gaffer, so feel free to add me to your friends list on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aidanmoher

just saw a clan doing some exploits on Well. First they got a demoman behind the fence right outside our base, then later they had a sniper on our rooftop. Our actual rooftop that theres no access to.

No clue how the demoman got behind the fence (was still able to shoot bombs thru an opening) but my theory for the rooftop sniper is they enabled FF for a second to launch him up there then changed it back

Icy

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:
just saw a clan doing some exploits on Well. First they got a demoman behind the fence right outside our base, then later they had a sniper on our rooftop. Our actual rooftop that theres no access to.

No clue how the demoman got behind the fence (was still able to shoot bombs thru an opening) but my theory for the rooftop sniper is they enabled FF for a second to launch him up there then changed it back

FF is not even a server option and a MOD can't even make it possible. Its been off since the 2nd week of beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom