• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hmm.. I use a 5900 and get 60 fps most of the time with occasional bouts of sub-60 fps in open areas with activity.

1024x768 driver scaled to 1680x1050 preserving aspect.
DirectX 8.1 Mode
Model Detail: High
Texture Detail: Low
Shader Detail: High
Reflections: Simple
Shadow Detail: Low
Antialiasing: None
Texture Filtering: Trilinear
VSync: Enabled
HDR: Disabled
Bloom: Disabled
Motion Blur: Disabled

YakiSOBA

does running this game in dx8.0 make it use up less power? my laptop gets steaming hot when i play.. good thing i have a cooling pad :S

1-D_FTW

Hitokage said:
Oh Granary. I thought you meant Well... in which the only thing we managed to do was not let the final point get taken. Yeah we managed to push back, but then the rest of the team decided they'd play not-to-lose on the center cap point. :(

Hammer: This thread is PC-centric, yes.

I was originally talking about Well. I meant when the teams were reorganized for the map change, you got some of my old Granary teammates.

I'm fairly certain when I took the phone call and left my body unattended in the open, there was a player that took up guard on the other side for the entire time. Either that or he was called away for something, too. But it was an odd sight.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I'm running it on a 5200 with no problems. I hit 25-30fps easily, even when it gets hairy.

GeForce FX 5200
1 GB RAM
2.8 Ghz

Medium settings.

Javaman

1-D_FTW said:
I think you inherited some of my teammates from the previous map. Just was there for the end of it. But we were doing fairly well. We had fairly decent control of the center CP on granary. Then the phone rang and I came back two minutes later and you guys had captured it and built 2 or 3 sentries in the area. I couldn't believe what a fortress it'd become in 2 minutes.

Yeah, I was one of the engs building up at the 2 cap point. It was a frantic buildup for sure and you guys were knocking on the slide-up doors while the guns were still being upgraded. I'm not sure who it was, but a Soldier started wailing on my turret from the other entrance and I chased his butt out the doors into your maw-o-death/medic/military-industrial-complex with my shotgun and managed to take him out with the pistol just before being capped myself. It was quite a rush. :lol

Javaman

What a crock of crap on the Dustbowl round. Randomly switched teams, killed out of the blue and gagged so I couldn't communicate with my teammates. Lame.

No_Style

Javaman said:
What a crock of crap on the Dustbowl round. Randomly switched teams, killed out of the blue and gagged so I couldn't communicate with my teammates. Lame.

Were you the one with the bad mic?

I was terrible tonight.

well, after the first few games where I killed Icy like three times before he admin killed twice and he teleported me to to his base to stab me where I cut him down and later on teleported me into the middle of the rest of his team. That pretty much was the high point of the night.

Firestorm

I just started playing today. I hope I learn how to play faster. I also need to find a mic. Spent most of my time as a Medic because:

A) I always suck at killing things so healing makes up for that
B) It was easy enough to learn
C) There seem to be a severe lack of Medics on teams and they seem to be a very important class...

The class I'm really interested in is Spy though. But it seems so complicated. I need someone to teach me :lol There's a lot of functions for spies and I don't know what button to press when.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Javaman said:
You address me, I asked "what", and then you ignored me.

Even after responding again, even after putting messages in front of everyone's screen, and even after changing your team so I could SPEAK to you.

That kinda pisses me off, you know? Is a simple "nm" THAT hard? How could you even tell the difference? :p

Sanjay said:
yep was trying neogaf2k7, maybe you are filtering out non usa players by mistake?
It's working for the Australians. It said bad password for me the first couple of times, then it worked after the third. Keep trying maybe?

Linkzg said:
well, after the first few games where I killed Icy like three times before he admin killed twice and he teleported me to to his base to stab me where I cut him down and later on teleported me into the middle of the rest of his team. That pretty much was the high point of the night.
Haha yeah it's always fun playing with Icy.

I had a crazy map on dustbowl of 4v4 before the rest of the crew hopped on. Then chaos on Granary as always :)

btw Icy the neogaf hlstatsx website isn't loading :(

Firestorm said:
I just started playing today. I hope I learn how to play faster. I also need to find a mic. Spent most of my time as a Medic because:

A) I always suck at killing things so healing makes up for that
B) It was easy enough to learn
C) There seem to be a severe lack of Medics on teams and they seem to be a very important class...
Yeah you were doing good tonight. But having a Microphone helps alot when communicating with the team. Pick up a cheap one asap.

Icy

Banned
Linkzg said:
I was terrible tonight.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

n0b

Linkzg said:
I was terrible tonight.

Only two teleports? I got 4 straight into sentries, and a few others. ):

Its not my fault I was raping your team Icy. D:

Javaman

Hitokage said:
You address me, I asked "what", and then you ignored me.

Even after responding again, even after putting messages in front of everyone's screen, and even after changing your team so I could SPEAK to you.

That kinda pisses me off, you know? Is a simple "nm" THAT hard? How could you even tell the difference? :p

You blew away my tele, disp, gun and me in one fell swoop so I typed your name in acknowledgement. <shrug> I switched back since the teams were -3 players.

No_Style said:
Were you the one with the bad mic?
Nope. No mic here.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Javaman said:
You blew away my tele, disp, gun and me in one fell swoop so I typed your name in acknowledgement. <shrug> I switched back since the teams were -3 players.
Wha? Whenever you say somebody's name you're prompting a response or at least calling attention, unless it's used with an exclamation like "haha hito", "wow hito", "dammit hito", or even "fucking hell hito, you asshole".

Any would have been ok. Sorry. :(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Played some nice 360 rounds with Cornballer and some other GAFFERS tonight. Good games guys!

Sorry teammates if I was kind of a dick. I just get really wrapped up in the game and end up basically barking orders and shouting at my teammates the entire round...

n0b said:
Only two teleports? I got 4 straight into sentries, and a few others. ):

Its not my fault I was raping your team Icy. D:

well, to be fair the first one was hilarious.

I was teleported into a room with just me and Icy, him as spy and me as Sniper, both were fighting with blades and I beat him down, then I was teleported next to a sentry and his entire other team while still as a sniper, I was killed on the spot. Fun times.

I <3 Pyros, I did not at first but they are perfect for stacking up some kills.
I have far too many deaths from playing a medic for so long. My kill/death ratio is terrible.

Great rounds last night guys. It was a lot of fun.

I really need to figure out what is making my game run so terrible.

I have a Athlon 2200 1.8 ghz, 1gb of ram, and a geforce 6600gt 128mb. I get like 40 to 50 frames when nothing is happening, but when the action heats up I drop to around 8 to 15.

Maybe my processor just can't keep up, maybe my power supply is too crappy. I don't even know.

I run it in 1047 by 768 low everything.

Icy

Banned
You should only have to download sound files once now. Before it wasn't downloading them (didn't have them set correctly) and so it would appear to download but it really wasn't. Now it does it. Should be fine now. :)

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
and the interesting part is, that person has only played on our servers with that name. wow.

And he isn't very good either. If you're gonna have that name and play offensive classes, shouldn't his k/d ratio not suck?

Lhadatt

vultureparade said:

I have a Athlon 2200 1.8 ghz, 1gb of ram, and a geforce 6600gt 128mb. I get like 40 to 50 frames when nothing is happening, but when the action heats up I drop to around 8 to 15.

Maybe my processor just can't keep up, maybe my power supply is too crappy. I don't even know.

The CPU is as vital to the game as the graphics card. You've reached the limit on your CPU, so now it's got to calculate tons of crap when a bunch of players are on screen. Upgrade and you should be OK. I presume the 6600 GT is AGP, you can still get new boards with AGP to save the card - but the CPU's gotta go.

Icy

Banned
vultureparade said:

CPU needs to go. It does the calculations for the player data and physics,etc,etc.

GDJustin said:
Played some nice 360 rounds with Cornballer and some other GAFFERS tonight. Good games guys!

Sorry teammates if I was kind of a dick. I just get really wrapped up in the game and end up basically barking orders and shouting at my teammates the entire round...

I had a match early where a person was barking orders as well. Not sure if it was you though(it was a points match on Granary at around 7~8pm pacific). He started getting all pissy because no one wanted to listen to him. Then he started arguing with the host, saying he sucked and shit. :lol

BTW, George21000, thanks for healing me at 2fort. Started getting annoyed at my teammates since no one wanted to be a medic. Too bad the host quit, since we were easily dominating them.

Jacobi

Banned
http://neogaf.hlstatsx.com/?mode=players&game=tf&page=4

Holding it up for Germany/Europe

http://neogaf.hlstatsx.com/?mode=playerinfo&player=72

What country is this though? I think it's somewhere in South America

Does someone know what I can do so the game doesn't crash? This has to be the fault of my GPU, because when I encode videos or render them my CPU is also at 100% and my PC never crashes outside of games. I have an 7900GTX... Can you downgrade it with a program so it doesn't overheat?

Icy

Banned
Jacobi said:

Does someone know what I can do so the game doesn't crash? This has to be the fault of my GPU, because when I encode videos or render them my CPU is also at 100% and my PC never crashes outside of games. I have an 7900GTX... Can you downgrade it with a program so it doesn't overheat?

Taiwan.. hold your mouse over the flag :)

1-D_FTW

Jacobi said:

Looks like it's either Taiwan, Samoa, or Myanmar. It's hard to see what the symbol in the corner is.

Do you have Nvidia monitor installed? If so, what's your temperature? If you don't, install it and check. Or better still, ATI tool is also a great tool since it'll tell you your temperature and has a rotating 3D tool that will send your GPU into 100 percent usage (and quickly show you temps under load.)

As for reducing heat with a program, you can reflash your BIOS. But this can't be done in Windows.

NiBiTor is the tool you use for creating a new BIOS (That you then have to flash in DOS.) But the nice thing about NiBiTor is you can see what manufacture voltage options the card maker had.

My 7950GT OC was actually set at an overvolt by the card manufacturer. It had options for 1.25v and 1.35v and BMG factory set it to 1.35. I reflashed it down to 1.25 and still run perfectly stable at the factory OC settings.

I can't tell you what effect this had on temps, cause I also installed an ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 VGA Cooler at the exact same time. This combo sent my 7950GT from idle temps of 54-61C to 40-42C (at 79F) and my loads went down from 79-81C to 46-47C.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29129

The seventh post down gives a bunch of numbers from somebody who did a bunch of flashing. I guess under normal conditions, you can knock off around 10C at similiar speeds.

I say normal, cause I built a custom case with incredible cooling (Hence why my fanless Accelero has such massive improvements.)

Icy

Banned
The official OrangeBox SDK will be out in about 3 months time. Once its released
All of the original HL2 games (Counter Strike, DOD , etC) will be ported over to the new Orange Box engine (Source 2007 engine) and all mods will need to be udpated to the new format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom