• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Suburban Cowboy said:
just saw a clan doing some exploits on Well. First they got a demoman behind the fence right outside our base, then later they had a sniper on our rooftop. Our actual rooftop that theres no access to.

No clue how the demoman got behind the fence (was still able to shoot bombs thru an opening) but my theory for the rooftop sniper is they enabled FF for a second to launch him up there then changed it back

btw was this on one of the NeoGAF servers?

YakiSOBA

Im so glad class limits were upped on your servers icy... it was the most frustrating feeling to not be able to switch from sniper-spy-sniper :)

Icy

Banned
Dave Long said:
This isn't a big deal, but I was wondering why I show up as "world" instead of being in the US when I look at... http://neogaf.hlstatsx.com/

Is it because when I first played I didn't have my place of residence set up in Steam?

That information is not sent out by steam. Its using an arrangement of servers and approximating your location via pings and your IP address. Either it didn't recognize your address or something.

Dave Long

Banned
Icy said:
That information is not sent out by steam. Its using an arrangement of servers and approximating your location via pings and your IP address. Either it didn't recognize your address or something.
Hunh... wacky. I thought for sure it was related to my Steam ID, because I discovered that I hadn't entered that info before when I looked at it last night.

Icy

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
Im so glad class limits were upped on your servers icy... it was the most frustrating feeling to not be able to switch from sniper-spy-sniper :)

it frustrated me as well, But I dealt with it.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Icy

Banned
Dave Long said:
Hunh... wacky. I thought for sure it was related to my Steam ID, because I discovered that I hadn't entered that info before when I looked at it last night.

The only information sen to HLStats is your in game player name, steam id, ip address,m time stamp and events. Thats all. Pretty scary how close it can come in terms of location, eh? :D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Does anyone else have a problem with their mic where the sound quality when testing degrades over time after 10 secs on steam?

WARCOCK

Banned
Anybody down to have tournies on one of the servers for a short period while keeping the second public. Like have some predetermined teams, go up against each other in a tournament mode. I mean nothing serious like pro-gaming competition, but it would be interesting to have pre-determined plans and more in-depth voice usage. Just an idea.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Suburban Cowboy said:
just saw a clan doing some exploits on Well. First they got a demoman behind the fence right outside our base
This isn't an exploit. While the middle building is shuttered up, the only thing that separates the two sides on the left and right are the immobile rail cars... and they can be jumped over.

Rockets and grenades can provide an extra boost when jumping.

Icy

Banned
Hitokage said:
This isn't an exploit. While the middle building is shuttered up, the only thing that separates the two sides on the left and right are the immobile rail cars... and they can be jumped over.

Rockets and grenades can provide an extra boost when jumping.

Yeah but how does 1 explain a Sniper doing that since a teammates rockets nor grenades are gonna boost their ass?

Icy

Banned
I just boooted (what i hope) are 10 random newbs from both servers. Hopefully there should be spacve for any neogaffers.

Once the reserved slot mod is working correctly. I'll be able to add NeoGAF to be able to get priority on the servers.

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
Both servers are password protected right? so there shouldn't be too many n00bs hopping on.

I'll be on in an hour!

Nope. Problem we've run into is you get a couple gaffers on and then they get bored
because there isn't enough for a full server.. so thats why I left the password off.

The reserved slot mod should be up and running this week.

Basically if the server is full with 24 people and, Puyo goes to join it,
it'll kick a non reserved slot person to let Puyo in.

Daigoro

ive been MIA all weekend as well, ill be back on tonight!

listen, ill be your lack medic boy all night long (since the people willing to play medic are few and far between), but if im healing you and your health is plunging faster than i can heal- BACK THE FUCK UP please.

im probably preaching to the choir here because most gaffers whos names i recognize play much smarter than this. i just needed to vent.

cya tonight!

Dave Long said:
I'd like to see the respawn timers come back. Part of the reason they exist is to break stalemates. You wipe out a significant portion of the other team and you're able to cap points without much resistance while everyone waits in line to get back in the game.

Removing that has the unintended effect of turning every single level into a buzzsaw of gibs, often without resolution to a conflict that results in even more Sudden Death.

I know it's tempting to mess with the settings on these games all the time, but the more you do that the more you tend to move away from the balance Valve designed into the game's levels and characters.

agree agree agree!!!

Icy said:
Respawn timer is back to default.

And Class limits have been up'd

thank you Icy!
Icy said:

oh sweet. how will this work? is there a list with our names on it? add me!

Doytch

Icy said:
Nope. Problem we've run into is you get a couple gaffers on and then they get bored
because there isn't enough for a full server.. so thats why I left the password off.

Liquid Sex!

I hate it when I have it set to auto join from Steam, and then by the time the map starts loading, someone's already taken that spot :( And my machine's pretty quick too, I'm usually the first or second person done loading a map.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, I don't really mind if somebody is new and isn't that good at what they do, but if you're going to be a medic, PLEASE understand the following:

MEDIC 101

1. Be decisive. Pick a buddy and stick with him when you aren't healing the injured.
2. The health gun has infinite ammo and boosts people beyond 100%. KEEP IT ON.
3. Healing people who are injured raises your Ubercharge much faster than with those who are not. Expect a good Soldier or Demo buddy to hurt himself behind the lines.
4. If you don't have voice communication, provide the Ubercharge when asked or when your buddy is under fire from multiple people.

timmy

Anyone have some tips for an aspiring scout? I see other people doing some great things with them. I don't know if it's the learning curve or what, but I seem to be falling flat on my face with them against a lot of classes though.

I find myself starting a lot of matches as a scout, dying too many times, and then begrudgingly rerolling medic. :lol

1-D_FTW

I had fun playing. Although towards the end I seemed to lose my mind and waste uber charges in some creative and stupid ways. The 9-0 (Or was it 10-0) win at granary was really fun.

timmy said:
Anyone have some tips for an aspiring scout? I see other people doing some great things with them. I don't know if it's the learning curve or what, but I seem to be falling flat on my face with them against a lot of classes though.

I find myself starting a lot of matches as a scout, dying too many times, and then begrudgingly rerolling medic. :lol

Does anyone really play well with them? They're good for rushing a middle CP at the start (until the other teams offensive power arrives.) And theoretically, they're good for 2fort since you can jump the bridge (although good luck getting past the defenses, capturing the case, and getting back out.)

I haven't really payed attention, but do people score at the top with scouts? I just thought they were more playful nuisance than anything.

1-D_FTW

Doytch said:
Liquid Sex!

I hate it when I have it set to auto join from Steam, and then by the time the map starts loading, someone's already taken that spot :( And my machine's pretty quick too, I'm usually the first or second person done loading a map.

Do you have it opened while TF2 is loaded (And not just through the Steam user panel?) I thought you were guaranteed to get the spot if so (I'm about 10 for 10.) If that's a speed contest, then my new PC gets a pat on the case.

Hitokage said:
Warcock is successful as scout.

Doytch: I was just trying to help, then you killed the other post. :(

Warcock is a good sniper, too. Bastard got me a bunch of times with that.

EDIT: Jesus. Warcock is my freaking kryptonite. I've got a 3-13 K/D ratio. He's my biggest nemesis by a huge margin.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Seems checking for server's outside of a game adds ~100ms to the ping. In game on the gaf server's i am back to a normal 250ms which is nice. But it is very odd compared to local server's at ~50ms :lol . Need to sorta compensate for my rockets.

wtf is this?

I join the server, I get kicked out right away.

this hasnt happend when I played in them before.

now it is saying im banned, what the hell is going on?

Remy

I don't think I've posted in this thread yet, but holy hell am I having fun playing with you guys, even if I am getting dominated 9 times out of 10.

Doytch

Hitokage said:
Warcock is successful as scout.

Doytch: I was just trying to help, then you killed the other post. :(

NP, now at least I know that it is safe to edit posts without the abyss swallowing them.

I really wanted to play today but I got swamped with crap again. Can't wait until finals are over in..uhhh...2 months.

Javaman

Yeah, great games tonight guys. One thing I've noticed since the official release is that I tend to bounce off other players and built objects, like we are made of rubber or something. Crouching seems to limit it a bit. Is anyone else getting that same effect?

Just had my best game of TF2 by far. I played a Heavy Gunner for the entire match. It must have lasted half an hour or 45 minutes. Our team's Medic stayed with me for almost the entire match. I got an 8-kill killing spree at one point and Dominated like three different players. Got my Head of the Class achievement tonight too. And the one where you play as every class. Just need to play on one more map for Around the World or whatever. Regardless of achievements I'm having lots of fun. Don't feel pressured to play and perform I can just play and have fun.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
24oq8e8.jpg

I think one of the hands are mine.

Is there anyway to capture screenshots without any overlays?

Daigoro

No_Style said:
Anyone getting the small pause when the sounds are "downloading"? It pauses on comeagain.wav

yes. it actually appears to be downloading this .wav every time we switch maps. whats up with that?

Jacobi

Banned
Wow first time I see blood in TF2 (got the cut version). Well I was just playing, but somehow I kept getting owned... I'll try again. I didn't play for one day and that already seems to make me the biggest noob...

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
:lol Awesome, Daigoro.

There was a moment on Granary where a spy (I think it was Oatmeal) was running on the ramp above the center area in flames. It was too quick to capture.

Hitokage said:
Ok, I don't really mind if somebody is new and isn't that good at what they do, but if you're going to be a medic, PLEASE understand the following:

MEDIC 101

1. Be decisive. Pick a buddy and stick with him when you aren't healing the injured.
2. The health gun has infinite ammo and boosts people beyond 100%. KEEP IT ON.
3. Healing people who are injured raises your Ubercharge much faster than with those who are not. Expect a good Soldier or Demo buddy to hurt himself behind the lines.
4. If you don't have voice communication, provide the Ubercharge when asked or when your buddy is under fire from multiple people.

5. Stay the hell out of view. If theres a wall etc. to stand behind while you heal someone, then stand behind it. If there isn't, crouch. Or keep behind the person you are healing, your life is more important than theirs.

I got pretty f'ed up in that one picture, I was trying to kill some soldier on a bin and didnt notice.

and I think I am between Engineer, Sniper, or Soldier at this point. Depending if it is needed, I am a bad medic and a crappy spy. Demoman isnt my thing at all, I cant get a kill even after unlocking everything and setting traps and all that.

this is my main multiplayer game until CoD4, then it would be 50/50 between this and CoD4. So much fun.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Storyteller said:
Or keep behind the person you are healing, your life is more important than theirs.
Haha, part of me wants to say, "hey, I'm not expendable!", but the rest knows damn well I gun down the other team's medics when possible, and in sudden death no kill is more valuable than a medic.

Waku

Daigoro said:
yes. it actually appears to be downloading this .wav every time we switch maps. whats up with that?

Same here.

Man some nights i can't seem to get anything right and die as soon as i respawn. Thank god i mostly don't suck too much.

Icy

Banned
Javaman said:
Yeah, great games tonight guys. One thing I've noticed since the official release is that I tend to bounce off other players and built objects, like we are made of rubber or something. Crouching seems to limit it a bit. Is anyone else getting that same effect?

this was done to prevent issues of ppl being blocked into spawn rooms by engineer equipment.

From 1up: Valve Aware of TF2's Xbox Live Lag. Patch has already been dispatched to Microsoft.
1up said:
No, console kids, you aren't crazy.

Team Fortress 2, part of Valve's epic The Orange Box compilation that was released last week, is experiencing some serious lag issues on Xbox Live. The vast majority of complaints stem from gamers attempting to participate in more competitive 6v6 or 8v8 matches, where "connection to host lost" messages became common place or gameplay rendered completely unplayable by never ending lag.

Valve realizes things are amiss, however, and told 1UP the studio has already dispatched a title update to Microsoft. Unlike the PC world, patches are not immediate and the hopeful remedy has to make the rounds through Microsoft's certification process and through the Xbox Live pipes. Valve anticipates the title update will arrive in gamers' hands either sometime this weekend or early next week, but no specific date is available.

Valve's networking experience is on the PC, but you have to wonder how an multiplayer-only game gets released with online networking issues this severe? Valve worked on The Orange Box for Xbox 360 internally, and with so many competitive multiplayer games available -- and more on the horizon -- if this issue isn't nipped in the bud quick, it could leave a permanently sour taste in gamers' mouths.

Expectedly, this does not appear to be an issue in the PC version.

Icy said:

So essentially NeoGaf members get priority then? Good stuff.

Also, if I were to change my Steam ID name would my stats carry over or are they separate from my previous name?

Icy

Banned
Red Blaster said:
So essentially NeoGaf members get priority then? Good stuff.

Also, if I were to change my Steam ID name would my stats carry over or are they separate from my previous name?

Your Steam ID name has nothing to do with your stats. its all logged by your physical steam id # that steam assigns you when you become a customer. Here's my steam ID.. STEAM_0:1:1237444

I played way too late last night. I pretty much stick to sniper/scout, similar to warcock. I played a bit of engineer towards the end of the night and I completely sucked. :lol

keiichi

Icy said:
Your Steam ID name has nothing to do with your stats. its all logged by your physical steam id # that steam assigns you when you become a customer. Here's my steam ID.. STEAM_0:1:1237444

Awesome. Should we just list our names in the Steam ID thread or modify our names to include [NeoGaf]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom