• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teknopathetic said:
"Maybe, just maybe... demomen WERE overpowered to begin with. ;)"

THEY WERE JUST RIGHT.
No they weren't, they're just right now. They were ridiculously overpowered before the nerf. Demomen are still extremely powerful and versatile, they're my favorite class at the moment.

"No they weren't, they're just right now. They were ridiculously overpowered before the nerf. Demomen are still extremely powerful and versatile, they're my favorite class at the moment."

How much did you play as demo pre-nerfing? Getting used to them after the fact is uh...

Balanced.

The only change was that grenades used to detonate whenever they came into contact with someone. Whether that was before they bounced, rolled around on the ground, etc. etc. Now they only detonate on contact before the first bounce. Doesn't sound particularly huge, but in practice it's pretty massive.

I think they should have just made it so they stop exploding on contact after more than one bounce. It was pretty neat coming up with ricochet strategies. They should have at least increased the clip size after the nerf. Now I use stickies most of the time.

meh demo is balanced for me i use the stickies a lot more but the pipe has a fantastic ability. they are the defensive class they were supposed to be.

Teknopathetic said:
"No they weren't, they're just right now. They were ridiculously overpowered before the nerf. Demomen are still extremely powerful and versatile, they're my favorite class at the moment."

How much did you play as demo pre-nerfing? Getting used to them after the fact is uh...
I didn't play demo at all, that has little bearing on this though. If demos were truly weak I would've never picked them up, let alone being successful with them. Also, if demos were truly too weak , you'd see players shunning them in the same way pyros were treated early on.

Then again, maybe you just got used to them pre-nerfing and have'nt learned to play them with this new style, one good strategy is to trap enemies between pipe bombs. Fact is, im having no trouble getting kills and being successful at playing demo , and this is likewise true for other players. Actually, I find myself often having a 2+ K : D ratio whenever I play demo, because of the pipe bomb's arc, which allows a demo to play offense while staying away from the line of fire. Not only that, but demos are by far the best option when it comes to destroying enemy sentries. They're also invaluable when it comes to defending a certain position, a sticky'd hallway/entrance/exit/ect with a bit of pipe bombs flowing through can hold back entire teams, even if only for a limited ammount of time. Thus, demos are as they should be, a powerful defensive class with good offensive capabilities. Pre-nerf they were closer to walking death machines.

"I didn't play demo at all, that has little bearing on this though. If demos were truly weak I would've never picked them up, let alone being successful with them. Also, if demos were truly too weak , you'd see players shunning them in the same way pyros were treated early on."

Er, they kind of are, just like pyros were.

"Then again, maybe you just got used to them pre-nerfing and have'nt learned to play them with this new style, one good strategy is to trap enemies between pipe bombs. Fact is, im having no trouble getting kills and being successful at playing demo , and this is likewise true for other players. Actually, I find myself often having a 2+ K : D ratio whenever I play demo, because of the pipe bomb's arc, which allows a demo to play offense while staying away from the line of fire. Not only that, but demos are by far the best option when it comes to destroying enemy sentries."

This is not a strategy that was developed post-nerf, you know.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Demomen are the only class that kick my ass (soldier) and i have no idea why. Always nice to hear a "pop" then you're dead. Also noticed alot of people are playing the class as well now.

Guess the demomen is just my anti class. Death to them all!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Sorry I had to leave in the middle of the game last night, it was already 3AM and I was supposed to have school the next morning.

Anyway great games.
And PillowKnight - how the hell did you notice me as a spy so many times?

1-D_FTW

CrookedRain said:
Good times today.

What name do you use in-game?

StalkerU

evlcookie said:
Demomen are the only class that kick my ass (soldier) and i have no idea why. Always nice to hear a "pop" then you're dead. Also noticed alot of people are playing the class as well now.

Guess the demomen is just my anti class. Death to them all!

I've switched to soldier in the last week and my Achilles is definitely sniper. I can't believe how often it's the smug, hipster doofus who's taunting me.

And it doesn't seem to matter if I'm in a group of four. It's like I'm growing green to this class. It's gotta be my highest percentage of death since I made the switch to soldier.

So I definitely feel you. It seems like everybody has a play style that makes them vulnerable to a certain class.

KimiSan said:
Sorry I had to leave in the middle of the game last night, it was already 3AM and I was supposed to have school the next morning.

Anyway great games.
And PillowKnight - how the hell did you notice me as a spy so many times?

I noticed you a lot too, yesterday. I'm 12-1 against you:)

In fact, in one of the games we lost, I ran towards a Pyro after we lost just so you couldn't break your domination streak with a cheap kill:)

Demo's were NOT balanced during the beta. They were straight offense and such a pain because they could kill anything in one hit. Before being nerfed, I could uber a demo and he could run in and clear a whole room.

Now demo's can be offense, defense, or a little bit of both. Some stay back with stickies protecting the base, or you can creep up a bit with soldiers and heavy and place some well aimed grenades into rooms full of enemies.

Just like I am able to *barely* dodge soldier rockets, I'm glad I can run away from a demo grenade that is bouncing around. It wasn't fun before when they exploded on contact :(

Anyway, I think everybody should be forced to own a mic if you play on PC lol. It's so hard communicating with people w/out one.

ANDD I still love Lazytown :) it's just retarded, crazy fun!

Icy

Banned
Scout Limit 2
Sniper Limit 2
Demoman Limit 2
Spy Limit 2
Pyro Limit 2
Engineer Limit 4

Now I can adjust these limits on a per map basis, but I'll wait to see how this goes.

Cheeto

I've said this before, but I guess it's appropriate to say it again... I don't think the new demoman is really nerfed. However, I think taking away contact explosions after bounces was a little much. I would have halved the damage after each bounce, that way your still the monsterous killing power with direct arc shots, and you can still do skill bounces effectively. As it is now, bouncing grenades around corners only works when someone isn't paying attention at all. Trying to get a grenade to bounce, land, and stay near a turret is basically fruitless 99% of the time.

Cheeto

Icy said:
Scout Limit 2
Sniper Limit 2
Demoman Limit 2
Spy Limit 2
Pyro Limit 2
Engineer Limit 4

Now I can adjust these limits on a per map basis, but I'll wait to see how this goes.
Oh no...you be stealin my demoman.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Is this because we closed a full round of Hydro in less than 5 minutes? Scout rushes really only work if the server really isn't that full.

Icy said:
ok fine fine. 0 limit on everyone and unlimited Medics!!! :lol :lol
Bonesaw McGraw approves.

artist

Banned
The avantville map was buggy as hell, I kept spawning right in the enemy camp with 3-4 sentries. Icy got some good kills on me that way (you couldnt kill me any other way! :p) .. Anyways, I had some good times, killing red snipers, destroying Icy's dispenser (more than twice), and some teleporters .. the rest of my team was stuck on the other side. If only they could push when I would zap the sentries ..

Oh and there was one guy (B-rad), he was either really fast or fishy. He was sniping all the time last night and he got me more than 5-6 times. Every time the death cam would show him standing behind wall(s) or in a completely diff. area .. any one else notice this while playing against him?

Icy

Banned
irfan said:
The avantville map was buggy as hell, I kept spawning right in the enemy camp with 3-4 sentries. Icy got some good kills on me that way (you couldnt kill me any other way! :p) .. Anyways, I had some good times, killing red snipers, destroying Icy's dispenser (more than twice), and some teleporters .. the rest of my team was stuck on the other side. If only they could push when I would zap the sentries ..

Oh and there was one guy (B-rad), he was either really fast or fishy. He was sniping all the time last night and he got me more than 5-6 times. Every time the death cam would show him standing behind wall(s) or in a completely diff. area .. any one else notice this while playing against him?

that was me teleporting you as you spawned :D and the death cam isn't the exact moment, It will sometimes show a few seconds after. Good snipers will snipe and run for cover to resetup.

artist

Banned
Icy said:
that was me teleporting you as you spawned :D and the death cam isn't the exact moment, It will sometimes show a few seconds after. Good snipers will snipe and run for cover to resetup.
Grr :p

That explains the behind walls bit, by in a completely diff area? The map I am referring to is Granary and he was hs'ing me more than 1 cp away. Anyways, the death cam looked instantaneous to me or its acting weird and looking normal. :lol

Icy

Banned
irfan said:
Grr :p

That explains the behind walls bit, by in a completely diff area? The map I am referring to is Granary and he was hs'ing me more than 1 cp away. Anyways, the death cam looked instantaneous to me or its acting weird and looking normal. :lol

PM the players name if you remember. I'll check logs.

Icy

Banned
Confidence Man said:
I think he means during sudden death.

Thx for that teleport the other night btw. :D

Thats easy. @teleport asnd @slay. Works.

I'm trying to work with some server modders to see if there's a way to restrict classes or force a specific class for the sudden death. Like all scout rounds or something.

timmy

I don't mean to complain, since I think the game is exquisitely balanced as a whole, but I wouldn't be surprised if engineers received a bit of rethinking. In 2fort, an engineer + level 3 turret by the flag seems to always take three people from the other team to take down. And God help you if there are two or three of them holed up in there. I know that uber + heavy is always an option, but I can't think of any other instance for which that is the only counter.

Granted, I play a scout mostly, so this might just be the paper bitching about the scissors.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
timmy said:
I don't mean to complain, since I think the game is exquisitely balanced as a whole, but I wouldn't be surprised if engineers received a bit of rethinking. In 2fort, an engineer + level 3 turret by the flag seems to always take three people from the other team to take down. And God help you if there are two or three of them holed up in there. I know that uber + heavy is always an option, but I can't think of any other instance for which that is the only counter.

Granted, I play a scout mostly, so this might just be the paper bitching about the scissors.

A skilled demoman (i.e. me) can make short work of intelligence room turrets.

artist

Banned
Icy said:
Thats easy. @teleport asnd @slay. Works.

I'm trying to work with some server modders to see if there's a way to restrict classes or force a specific class for the sudden death. Like all scout rounds or something.
Sounds good. Reminds me of knife-only (or scout-only) rounds from CS:S. :D

Doytch

Can you at least turn off the class limits when we're playing customs or a password is on? I think everyone who plays it regularly will switch if a class is really needed.

Jacobi

Banned
Who is iammike? he was headshotting me like 20 times yesterday...

but it was fun playing until now, had some connection problems, so i exitted...
i recommended boon to register here, neogaf should pay icy for luring members into the forum :lol

Icy

Banned
Jacobi said:
Who is iammike? he was headshotting me like 20 times yesterday...

but it was fun playing until now, had some connection problems, so i exitted...
i recommended boon to register here, neogaf should pay icy for luring members into the forum :lol

no.. neogaf would send me a bill for all the new headaches.

sharkie

I was in the top 5 with only 3 hours clocked in on the servers I leave for a couple of days and my brother discovers my favorites list joins the gaf games and destroys my k:d and drops me into the 30's :lol

I'll hopefully be back into the thick of it tonight and by the way I've changed my Steam ID name from Sharkie to TruLoki :D

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
timmy said:

A solider or demoman can take care of that no problem. Take advantage of the right handedness of the player and you can shoot the turrets without them seeing you.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Icy said:
Scout Limit 2
Sniper Limit 2
Demoman Limit 2
Spy Limit 2
Pyro Limit 2
Engineer Limit 4

No no no.

Why not NO limits? This is just ridiculous. The game is balanced as it is. Let people try stuff. The team I was on last night would have been able to take over avantiville with a no spy limit.

I just bought the game. My online name is.. dickastley, I think (haven'T played it yet except yesterday night, and I don't remember).

I'll join later today.

Icy

Banned
Foreign Jackass said:
I just bought the game. My online name is.. dickastley, I think (haven'T played it yet except yesterday night, and I don't remember).

I'll join later today.

welcome to the club. I just added a few more server awards. Won't show any winners until starting tommorrow.

keiichi

Icy said:
welcome to the club. I just added a few more server awards. Won't show any winners until starting tommorrow.

Bonesaw McGraw is mine! (when my computer gets fixed :/) would you be able to add a "Amount Healed" type award also?

Thanks Icy

Icy

Banned
keiichi said:
Bonesaw McGraw is mine! (when my computer gets fixed :/) would you be able to add a "Amount Healed" type award also?

Thanks Icy

Source Server doesn't report on any logs Healing done unfortunately.

Remy

Icy said:
What engineer stalemate problem? Never had one.

Confidence Man nailed it - basically you get engineers hanging back, building sentries, and most of the time a sudden death round with serious engineers will go to stalemate.

May not happen as often on our servers, but I worry if it's capped at 2 spies against 4 engineers, since they're so directly opposed. It's not hard to fathom a team stacking all four L3 Sentries in one area (and dispensers for upgrades), and the spy population will be unable to break the barricade.

Icy

Banned
Remy said:
Confidence Man nailed it - basically you get engineers hanging back, building sentries, and most of the time a sudden death round with serious engineers will go to stalemate.

May not happen as often on our servers, but I worry if it's capped at 2 spies against 4 engineers, since they're so directly opposed. It's not hard to fathom a team stacking all four L3 Sentries in one area (and dispensers for upgrades), and the spy population will be unable to break the barricade.

There is nothing that can be done about it. Can't force players to move on or where to put their sentries. I'll tell people to move on in game and start teleporting people.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
There is nothing that can be done about it. Can't force players to move on or where to put their sentries. I'll tell people to move on in game and start teleporting people.

But isn't that the point of being an engineer?

I hate people who are afraid to die as much as anyone, but what's the point of an engineer if he's not allowed to attend to his sentry? His offensive firepower is limited. In the open, he's pretty much overwhelmed by every class.

I rarely play engineer and never play them in overtime, but a limit of two is a much better solution than teleporting them out of their fortress. That's the equivalent of stripping the primary weapon from any other class.

Now if you only had two engineers to begin with, a team couldn't build all their sentries at a back CP and have everyone loiter around it while the other team attacks cause they're bored and care more about having fun than losing. A limit of two sentries would solve the real issue. No more havens for the timid.

I'm not so sure I'm a fan of any limits, but if they're gonna be there, I think engineers should be with the rest of the non-offensive specialty classes... 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom