• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Lathentar said:
Is there anyway we can get a Points/Minute column? I'd like to see the rankings with that. I'd be more interested in seeing the REAL skill of people not how much they play.

What we see is the most we can get in its current form. Once HLStats TF2 is out of beta I can host it myself and modify it more to our needs.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Icy said:
What we see is the most we can get in its current form. Once HLStats TF2 is out of beta I can host it myself and modify it more to our needs.
Here are some numbers I threw together. I took the top 20 + some extras from the top 100 that I found notable.

Since you start with 1000 pts:
Ppm = (Points - 1000) / Time

Code:
Name		Points	Time (min)		Ppm
JB		2657	55		30.12727273
M.J. Doja	3759	311		8.871382637
LOSDucard	3286	283		8.077738516
titanium	3629	333		7.894894895
Parent		2896	251		7.553784861
wartime		3036	277		7.350180505
Crooked Rain	6454	821		6.643118149
beeprime	2915	297		6.447811448
jotun		2772	287		6.174216028
B-rad		5768	815		5.850306748
B||oodSire-AA-	5381	778		5.631105398
Doytch		4470	664		5.225903614
n0b		5965	956		5.193514644
fallengorn	5162	873		4.767468499
Iadien		5919	1076		4.571561338
RPhilMan1	7043	1371		4.407731583
PillowKnight	7863	1574		4.360228717
puyo		4836	917		4.183206107
Cheeto		4556	1066		3.335834897
JoeFu		5410	1066		4.1369606
StalkerU	4606	913		3.949616648
Hitokage	5783	1224		3.907679739
Confidence Man	5576	1179		3.881255301
warcock		6343	1405		3.802846975
stellarseven	4620	987		3.667679838
Lathentar	2411	406		3.475369458
Richardfun	4583	1048		3.41889313
decay		1793	241		3.290456432
Bon		5466	1383		3.229211858
Sciz		5246	1392		3.050287356
Shillen		4704	1252		2.958466454
the Storyteller	4780	1429		2.645206438
yeb		4938	1636		2.407090465
Cookie Dude	5969	2102		2.363939106
jjupiter	4711	1667		2.226154769

Lathentar said:
Here are some numbers I threw together. I took the top 20 + some extras from the top 100 that I found notable.

Since you start with 1000 pts:
Ppm = (Points - 1000) / Time

Code:
wartime		3036	277		7.350180505

Wow... heh.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn hito , 80 kills 22 deaths. It seems these days with a soldier i am back to a 1:1:1(assists) ratio. Which is lame.

Also how big is TF2 to download and install over steam? Do i need HL2 with it? Says i need 7gb of hdd space :( . Since i am in aus i really can't afford to spend my download limit on 7gb just for 1 game. Grr time.

Lathentar said:
I'd REALLY like to see a strength of schedule stat as well. I have a feeling JB was playing some really crappy players.
Or he's a pretty good player playing on the server for the first time and just happened to be killing the higher ranked people on the server. PPM really doesn't mean that much though because someone could be playing on the server with lower ranked people, be stuck on a crappy team, playing with less people in the server, play some huge custom map, etc.. and not be able to gain as many points.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
CrookedRain said:
Or he's a pretty good player playing on the server for the first time and just happened to be killing the higher ranked people on the server. PPM really doesn't mean that much though because someone could be playing on the server with lower ranked people, be stuck on a crappy team, playing with less people in the server, play some huge custom map, etc.. and not be able to gain as many points.
Over time that would even itself out though. I'm not a fan of total points or Kpd. Neither are good at determining skill in TF2.

I'm not saying that JB sucks, just that he was getting 5-6 kills per minute as a pyro. No one is that good.

If it hasn't changed lately, you get more points for killing someone of a higher rank and that person loses however many points that person gains or something close to it.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
CrookedRain said:
If it hasn't changed lately, you get more points for killing someone of a higher rank and that person loses however many points that person gains or something close to it.
Killer Points = Killer Points + (Victim Points / Killer Points)
× Weapon Modifier × 5

Victim Points = Victim Points - (Victim Points / Killer Points)
× Weapon Modifier × 5

Cheeto

CrookedRain said:
Then the top players on the server would most likely always be newer players since they gain points faster than anyone else.
Ya but now if you don't play every day you lose 20+ spots. :-/

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
WhatRuOn said:
Added you to the Ppm ranks.

Anyways, the fact that higher ranked players get less points over time will decrease their Ppm.

Is there another way to get ACTUAL points in game?

1-D_FTW

Lathentar said:
I'd REALLY like to see a strength of schedule stat as well. I have a feeling JB was playing some really crappy players.

JB got a ton of his points on that map that had the broken start spawn. But he only played that one time, so he's been slowly dropping in rank.

Icy

Banned
Lathentar said:
Killer Points = Killer Points + (Victim Points / Killer Points)
× Weapon Modifier × 5

Victim Points = Victim Points - (Victim Points / Killer Points)
× Weapon Modifier × 5

Actually the formula is like this...

Killer Points = Current Killer Points + ( (Weapon Points + Bonus Points [ Assist,etc ] ) * Rank modifier )

Victim Points = Current Victim Points - (Killer Points/4)

I wished the 360 version had class limits. Too many people as engineers building rocket turrets everywhere and to counter that, the other team goes all spies, which gets annoying in its on self. :/

I did figure out how to counter those spy bastards though. I just end up jumping around like I have ADD so that its hard for them to backstab me(support class). I can even go up against a heavy. the demoman though seems to get me every so often since his nades kill on impact.

Had a go on the gaf #1 server. Did ok but ugh with a 150 ping I can't kill scouts or dodge soldier rockets, so won't be on again. Well unless I get interleaved turned off on my connection which may bring me down to 100 or so.

Oh and I think my mic is broke which has pissed me off considering how much I paid for my headphones.

Some heavy destruction on the NeoGAF server...

cp_well0008.jpg

cp_granary0006.jpg

The HWG is actually my least played class. :lol
Thanks goes out to the medics who kept me going those 2 maps.

Icy

Banned
I got a working warpath map on the servers. Going pretty smooth. Just added beta2 of the castle.

Limit 3 Group
----------------------
Scout
Sniper
Demoman
Pyro
Engineer

Limit 2 Group
----------------------
Spy

Unlimited
----------------------
Heavyweapons
Soldier
Medic

What version of the castle were we playing yesterday? That was a pretty fun map.

The class limits are much better now, though I don't see why the spy is in a league of his own with the lowest limit.

Icy said:
Actually the formula is like this...

Killer Points = Current Killer Points + ( (Weapon Points + Bonus Points [ Assist,etc ] ) * Rank modifier )

Victim Points = Current Victim Points - (Killer Points/4)

Does that mean you get more points for an assist with the flamethrower(1.00 modifier) than you get for a kill with the flamethrower?

Icy

Banned
CrookedRain said:
Does that mean you get more points for an assist with the flamethrower(1.00 modifier) than you get for a kill with the flamethrower?

Assist kill has nothing to do with that.

Thats for the direct killer / direct victim

if you assist in a kill, you simply get the base assist points thats all.
if you are the direct killer you get all that AND the assist points.

Icy

Banned
CrookedRain said:
What version of the castle were we playing yesterday? That was a pretty fun map.

The class limits are much better now, though I don't see why the spy is in a league of his own with the lowest limit.

beta 1, I got beta 2 on the server now.

Firestorm

CrookedRain said:

More than 2 spies really defeats the purpose of the class.

Icy said:
Assist kill has nothing to do with that.

Thats for the direct killer / direct victim

if you assist in a kill, you simply get the base assist points thats all.
if you are the direct killer you get all that AND the assist points.
So does that mean the medic is just getting 3 points for every assist he's getting?

I'm not quite sure why the killer gets a bonus if someone assisted him with the kill. If you have a medic buddy who heals you all the time, you're probably going to be earning more points than most people. It seems it would be favoring a class like the heavy who is a medic favorite and be unfair to classes like the spy and sniper who most of the time don't have a medic healing them or assisting them with their kills. Of course this only makes sense if I'm interpreting the point system correctly. Are backstabs and headshots awarded bonuses?

Uggh all your talk of playing tonight makes me jealous >_<

I LOVED that castle map we played on. I normally hate big, open maps but this one had enough variety of cover to make it fun. As for the Stranglehold.....did not like it at all. Too cramped and confusing :(

JoeFu

Banned
omgimaninja said:
Uggh all your talk of playing tonight makes me jealous >_<

I LOVED that castle map we played on. I normally hate big, open maps but this one had enough variety of cover to make it fun. As for the Stranglehold.....did not like it at all. Too cramped and confusing :(

Map was awesome. Team that was losing hated it of course...

Icy

Banned
apocalidiot said:
Sounds good.

I'm installing Portal first (then installing TF2 while I play it)... anyone feel free to add me on Xfire if you want (screen name is the same as it is on GAF)

just use the steam community for all of your steam game playing.

Oreoleo

CrookedRain said:
Some heavy destruction on the NeoGAF server...

The HWG is actually my least played class. :lol
Thanks goes out to the medics who kept me going those 2 maps.

It's all in a day's work! :D

Davidion

Man, castle's last point is REALLY horrible for the offense.

Good couple of games tonight. Finally got my first baseball bat kill. *thumbs up*

Davidion said:
Man, castle's last point is REALLY horrible for the offense.

Good couple of games tonight. Finally got my first baseball bat kill. *thumbs up*
Really? I think it sucks for the defense because they can spawn camp your door if they push up to that area.

Icy said:
Stronghold Beta 5 and Castle Beta 2 are being put into standard rotation.
Castle Beta 3 is out.

Beta 3.0 Changes:

* Stage 1-
* -Added another door on the right side inside the castle for offense.
* -Time to capture the CP has been reduced 2 seconds.
* -Added more sniper cover in the castle itself.
* -Players can now rocket jump on top of the middle wall inside the castle.

* Stage 2-
* -Time to capture the CP has been reduced 1 second.
* -Sniper cover has been added near the defense resupply.
* -Extra exit added to red resupply to prevent excessive spam.
* -Tweaked the size of some ammo and health, and added some health/ammo for offense.

* Stage 3-
* -A new CP has been added to this area before the bridge for offense to capture. This will give an additional 4 minutes to capture the last area when taken.
* -An additional "bridge" to the castle has been added in the form of a wooden plank halfway across the canal.
* -Tweaked the size of some ammo and health.
* -Health kits added in several locations for offense.
* -Added cover in two locations inside the castle against "sniper spam".
* -Time to capture the last CP has been reduced 2 seconds.

* General-
* -Issue with respawn walls showing up on a delay in some cases should be fixed.
* -All round timers have had 30 seconds added to them, bringing the timers to 7.5 minutes.
* -Various visual tweaks and additional signs added.

CrookedRain said:
Castle Beta 3 is out.

Beta 3.0 Changes:

* Stage 1-
* -Added another door on the right side inside the castle for offense.
* -Time to capture the CP has been reduced 2 seconds.
* -Added more sniper cover in the castle itself.
* -Players can now rocket jump on top of the middle wall inside the castle.

* Stage 2-
* -Time to capture the CP has been reduced 1 second.
* -Sniper cover has been added near the defense resupply.
* -Tweaked the size of some ammo and health, and added some health/ammo for offense.

* Stage 3-
* -A new CP has been added to this area before the bridge for offense to capture. This will give an additional 4 minutes to capture the last area when taken.
* -An additional "bridge" to the castle has been added in the form of a wooden plank halfway across the canal.
* -Tweaked the size of some ammo and health.
* -Health kits added in several locations for offense.
* -Added cover in two locations inside the castle against "sniper spam".
* -Time to capture the last CP has been reduced 2 seconds.

* General-
* -Issue with respawn walls showing up on a delay in some cases should be fixed.
* -All round timers have had 30 seconds added to them, bringing the timers to 7.5 minutes.
* -Various visual tweaks and additional signs added.
Yay!

I've been wondering, once the tools do come out, how easy is it to make a map? I have a few ideas rolling around but if it takes coding/learning how to use valve's tools then im best not planning them out.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Maybe a stupid question -

I'm playing TF2 on the 360, and I see there's a "commentary" menu option - but it's grayed out for all three maps - even thought I've played them all?

What do I have to do to open them up?

GDJustin said:
Maybe a stupid question -

I'm playing TF2 on the 360, and I see there's a "commentary" menu option - but it's grayed out for all three maps - even thought I've played them all?

What do I have to do to open them up?
That's odd. They were available from the start for me.

Xrenity

irfan said:
Scout is the worst possible disguise, your slowish speed gives you away. Medic is the next worst disguise, people will get suspicious when they dont see you healing anyone. Medic's healing capability is unlimited and most medics heal or overheal all the time so you'll be the odd one out.
That's what I'd say but it works for me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom