• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
No words to describe this...

well02.png

well01.png

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
TheOneGuy said:
If anything, I'd say soldier is the easiest class to play as.
It's probably one of the more accessible, as there isn't much to the Soldier that's TF2 or even TF-specific, aside from the clip.

...but being a good soldier is another matter. ;)

Twig

Banned
Hitokage said:
It's probably one of the more accessible, as there isn't much to the Soldier that's TF2 or even TF-specific, aside from the clip.

...but being a good soldier is another matter. ;)
Well, of course! That's the case for anything with that characteristic. d:

Also the rocket jump is TF-specific, isn't it? ...Probably not, I wouldn't really know.

Am I the only one who hates the Heavy? My classes of choice are Scout (even though I suck), Demoman (though I haven't touched him in a while), and Soldier (I think I'm pretty decent with Soldier actually).

TF2 is really just destroying any free time I had.

artist

Banned
Good games last night. You might have seen me (wachie) playing not-too-bad as a spy .. so add me to your friends list. :) So far I'm good with the Engineer, Spy, Demo & Sniper. I started playing as a medic since yesterday (was healing 140.85 or warcock or JoeFu :D ) and we were winning most of the time. The other team was hopeless mainly because they had no medics. :lol

Of the custom maps, I liked Castle & Warpath. Both maps are fairly enjoyable for most classes. I say most classes because Castle was a sniper fest, so I switched to spy and took out the red snipers. We then raided the cps and won in a matter of minutes. As long as you have players on your team who realise the need of the situation, you will win or have a really tight contest.

Icy

Banned
decon said:
Ew man we need an EU server to play on :/

Oh and btw the map download links are down.

Links are working fine.. and as far as a EU server they aren't cheap. Make a donation! :D

HLStats is back up and running, all stats reset. All 3 servers are now linked.

YakiSOBA

how do you do the spray thing? i tried to make a picture in photoshop (made it the correct pixel size, etc) but then it gave some error even then :S

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Grrrrr. Snipers ruined my weekend. Come fight me like a man you cowards! :p

Just kidding. Good snipers are a valuable asset. But damn, it's infuriating sometimes...

Icy said:
Stats are being reset and are turned off until Server #3 is added. Which will be by sometime this afternoon and then its fair game. :D

How do the stats work now? I played for 3-4 hours last night and my rank went up a whopping 1 point. :\

Icy

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
how do you do the spray thing? i tried to make a picture in photoshop (made it the correct pixel size, etc) but then it gave some error even then :S

the banners you see are server controlled and placed.
Sprays aren't fully setup yet but there is a way (lot of work imo) to get them to work.

artist

Banned
140.85 said:
How do the stats work now? I played for 3-4 hours last night and my rank went up a whopping 1 point. :\
Yeah I noticed the same too, well not 1 point but only 40 pts. Earlier if I played 2-3 hrs, I'd advance a good 400+ pts. Maybe Icy doubled (?) the penalty for getting killed.

Icy

Banned
140.85 said:

everytime you die you lost 3/4th the points your killer gets.

Oh and I put a cap on kills. Most points you can gain is 5 points.

So lets say you die to a shotgun from pyro. its 2 points. and lets say Puyo was asssiting (healing), that's another 3 points. 5 points total. 2 to the pyro and 3 to the medic. YOu (dead guy) lose 4 points (rounded to nearest whole) and the cap for a loss or gain is 5 points total.

Icy

Banned
Custom Maps in Rotation:

cp_castle_b3.jpg

ctf_stronghold_b1.jpg

We're playing Beta 5 of this.

And Warpath Beta 3 (No Screen Shot)

Custom Maps on the server but NOT in the rotation:

cp_wolf.jpg

cp_crazedacre.jpg

cp_lazytown.jpg

ctf_mine.jpg

cp_rats_alpha.jpg

Maps not installed at all:

ctf_well.jpg

ctf_mach2.jpg

cp_rooftime_alpha.jpg

ctf_battle_creek.jpg

ctf_floodzone2_v1.jpg

ctf_blitz.jpg

ctf_firmbases_alpha.jpg

ctf_powerhouse_beta.jpg

cp_circletown_b1.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Am I the only one who really doesn't enjoy playing on cp_castle_b3?

It just seems like the quality gulf between official maps and custom maps is huge at the moment.

Cheeto

aidan said:
Am I the only one who really doesn't enjoy playing on cp_castle_b3?

It just seems like the quality gulf between official maps and custom maps is huge at the moment.
Agreed. Note, I've only played Castle, Wartime, and Lazytown...but I don't enjoy any of them. They are way too linear, unlike the official maps which usually feature multiple levels and multiple paths to everywhere.

Icy

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Agreed. Note, I've only played Castle, Wartime, and Lazytown...but I don't enjoy any of them. They are way too linear, unlike the official maps which usually feature multiple levels and multiple paths to everywhere.

You need some stronghold action.

Didn't play too much last night since I wanted to watch the end of the baseball game. But I had fun defeating the Blusers a few rounds :lol

I'll be on tonight since stats are wiped clean, gotta gain my points back!

It may have been fixed since, but I noticed an error with warpath when I played on it. Regardless of how many points my team had captured we still respawned WAY back at the first respawn. In the TFC map you respawn by the farthest point your team has captured. Sort of like what happens in Granary and Well.

Icy

Banned
Donators: Anyone who donated via PayPal

You should be receiving refunds. PayPal locked the account due to me receiving international "donations". After almost a month of fighting it out, they are closing the account and refunding the money.

If you wish to redonate (I would love you forever) you can use the Amazon system or I try to work something somehow (snail mail even).

Icy

Banned
140.85 said:
It may have been fixed since, but I noticed an error with warpath when I played on it. Regardless of how many points my team had captured we still respawned WAY back at the first respawn. In the TFC map you respawn by the farthest point your team has captured. Sort of like what happens in Granary and Well.

Yeah its a bug in beta 3. Waiting for a new Beta for it.

Icy

Banned
140.85 said:
I hope CTF_Well turns out good, loved that map. Also, I hope somebody remakes Rock2.

CTF_Well I'm not touching.

Its the fortress forever map converted with TF2 entities. Its crashed my server 3 times now and shitty frame rates, oh and its 115mb :)

Edit: I could always throw it up.. but.. hrmph. I'll let you guys decide.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I actually like Lazytown (it's really fun, but needs optimizing; being in a few certain spots will cause some slight framerate jumpiness. Some weird glitches will sometimes cause early overtime, and tele exits will sometimes self-destruct if placed in the wrong spot.) and Crazedacre.

However, I hate Castle. Hate hate hate.

There were two other custom maps I played today:

ctf_respect-b4: I liked it a lot; very basic and small, but loads of fun; classic 2fort style, sans water, tunnels, or bridge, just about 20 yards of desert separating bases; accessible rooftops that can be easily defended or attacked; intel is up on a balcony surrounded by some short walkways, allowing for good defense while letting a fast good player grab the intel and drop down quick to avoid defensive fire; two big rocks provide nice cover for an escaping capturer, attacker, or defender; mid-sized open rooms separated by narrow cramped corridors let you corner and outmaneuver enemies, whether on offense or defense. Some weird bits (a short tunnel on the right side of each base that leads to... er, a wall...), and some missing textures on a small surface or two, but still good.

cp_orange_x: "Hey guys, let's take an old DoD map and turn it into a TF2 map. Even better, it's one of those unimaginative orange grid maps that a first-time player thinks is cool at first, then realizes that it's just lazy. The annoying bright colors that all players clash with, and wide open spaces that make you cannon fodder for snipers and sentries, sure is good level design. Also, let's have walls that allow you to box the other team into their own spawn point with sentries, a high tower in the middle that gives snipers a view of three control points and both base entrances, and absolutely meaningless fluctuations in terrain elevation. It'll be great."

Icy

Banned
I actually like Lazytown (it's really fun, but needs optimizing; being in a few certain spots will cause some slight framerate jumpiness. Some weird glitches will sometimes cause early overtime, and tele exits will sometimes self-destruct if placed in the wrong spot.) and Crazedacre.

However, I hate Castle. Hate hate hate.

There were two other custom maps I played today:

ctf_respect-b4: I liked it a lot; very basic and small, but loads of fun; classic 2fort style, sans water, tunnels, or bridge, just about 20 yards of desert separating bases; accessible rooftops that can be easily defended or attacked; intel is up on a balcony surrounded by some short walkways, allowing for good defense while letting a fast good player grab the intel and drop down quick to avoid defensive fire; two big rocks provide nice cover for an escaping capturer, attacker, or defender; mid-sized open rooms separated by narrow cramped corridors let you corner and outmaneuver enemies, whether on offense or defense. Some weird bits (a short tunnel on the right side of each base that leads to... er, a wall...), and some missing textures on a small surface or two, but still good.

cp_orange_x: "Hey guys, let's take an old DoD map and turn it into a TF2 map. Even better, it's one of those unimaginative orange grid maps that a first-time player thinks is cool at first, then realizes that it's just lazy. The annoying bright colors that all players clash with, and wide open spaces that make you cannon fodder for snipers and sentries, sure is good level design. Also, let's have walls that allow you to box the other team into their own spawn point with sentries, a high tower in the middle that gives snipers a view of three control points and both base entrances, and absolutely meaningless fluctuations in terrain elevation. It'll be great."

I have respect on the servers, but no orange. There was a reason why I passed on it and cannot remember.

Old?

Zero Punctuation on TF2

"Alot has been removed from the original Team Fortress Classic model, but for all it's instubstantiallity, it's incredibly well-balanced now. There's a role for everyone regardless of what sort of game you like. The Heavy for uncomplicated damage soaking thickies. The spy for your backstabbing stealth game dirtbag. And the sniper for those who like ponit-and-click adventure games. Althoughy admittedly the only puzzle is "use gun on man". :)D - YES)

The complete omission of grenades sounds wierd at first, but it means that new players don't feel alienated by those tireless obsessives who're all mastering the fiddling little bastards while everyone else is out having sex with girls.

:lol

Icy

Banned
140.85 said:
Old?

Zero Punctuation on TF2

"Alot has been removed from the original Team Fortress Classic model, but for all it's instubstantiallity, it's incredibly well-balanced now. There's a role for everyone regardless of what sort of game you like. The Heavy for uncomplicated damage soaking thickies. The spy for your backstabbing stealth game dirtbag. And the sniper for those who like ponit-and-click adventure games. Althoughy admittedly the only puzzle is "use gun on man". :)D - YES)

The complete omission of grenades sounds wierd at first, but it means that new players don't feel alienated by those tireless obsessives who're all mastering the fiddling little bastards while everyone else is out having sex with girls.

:lol

Actually... he should write for GI. He'd be the only sensible one in the crowd.

Jacobi

Banned
Wow, resetted ranks. Anyway me and Boon will be lurking as of now, if you read this, JOIN

Is there a non-150 ping ban-server? I always get kicked :(

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Linkzg said:
the servers are dead empty! stay home gaffers start filling up the room.
I'd join but there's a 150 ping limit now and it keeps kicking me out so I'm gonna have to wait a while it seems.

Lhadatt

ICY: If I expedite monies, will you remove Castle from the rotation?

It's a sniper-fest. On one of the stages, the weenie snipers would hide on the blue ramp down out of their spawn, just inside the garage door. Anyone approaching from any angle they could see would get picked off.

Apart from that, it's just too freaking big. It feels like I'm taking a cross-country trek to get anywhere.

PillowKnight said:
Wow, there must be a huge line on the server, cant get in.

Hey Confidence man, how's your map going?

PS : I have to say, valve's map making tools are amazing i'm not the least bit surprised they have such a huge mod community, the tools are really fun to use.

Going good, thanks.

This is what the middle area will be like, two trenches going across, sewer tunnel entrances, etc.. :

tf2map02.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
As a 360 Orange Box owner, I'm really, really jealous of all the custom maps already popping up.

artist

Banned
Powerhouse looks interesting. Btw, I liked playing on both Castle and Stranglehold. I wish some one would convert cs_office :D I used to play cs_office 20 out of 24 hrs when I was in school :D :lol

Cheeto

Confidence Man said:
Going good, thanks.

This is what the middle area will be like, two trenches going across, sewer tunnel entrances, etc.. :

[IM.G]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/Confidence-Man/TF2/tf2map02.jpg[/IMG]
Awesome man, how are you filtering TF2 textures in the browser?

Icy

Banned
irfan said:
Powerhouse looks interesting. Btw, I liked playing on both Castle and Stranglehold. I wish some one would convert cs_office :D I used to play cs_office 20 out of 24 hrs when I was in school :D :lol

POwerhouse is another CS Map.. CS and DoD Maps just don't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom