• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
I'm sending out invites to the Steam group 'unkind TF2'

so if you get that don't disregard, has all the info to join. :D

yeb

Icy said:
Yeb enjoying his kill :(
:D At least the old "server #3" filled up eventually.

I wish I could take high quality screenshots, though. Earlier I was playing on Warpath as an engineer, and my team had the advantage for basically the entire game (I had 99 teleports :lol). When we couldn't push through to the last CP however, I thought these three guys in the back weren't pulling their weight:

cp_warpath_b30002.jpg

That'd be so awesome at 1600x1200 and high settings. :(

calder said:
I desperately want to play TF2, but my comp is shit. :(

Better than mine. I have a 1.8ghz cpu, 1GB of ram, and a Geforce FX 5900. I get about 10-15fps in a direct firefight; frequently a bit higher in tight spaces, lower in certain places that are wide open and complex *coughgravelpitAcough*. My CPU's the real bottleneck - no matter how much I lower the graphics (even to Crushed's sub-Doom settings) it doesn't affect my framerate, so at least yours is a step better there. Still, because of my low framerate I tend to use classes that don't get involved in direct firefights. Playing on servers with less than 24 players also helps, but those are a rarity.

Zanboo, what time is that, in GMT? :)

European here (Dutch), and I'd love to give it a go, some real coordinated playing. Just need to know if it isn't in the middle of the night, or just before sunrise or something :lol

Oh and yeb, yeah, the game is awesome on high reso's with all the effects and such set to high and very high :)

Playing TF2 on a 2Ghz dual core, 2gb mem and a 8800GTS.

1-D_FTW

Richardfun said:
Oh and yeb, yeah, the game is awesome on high reso's with all the effects and such set to high and very high :)

Playing TF2 on a 2Ghz dual core, 2gb mem and a 8800GTS.

On a 17-inch CRT, you only need to be at 1024*768 to enjoy it in full splendor. Any higher resolution doesn't increase image fidelity, just makes things smaller so there's more image being seen. The joys of CRTs.

Just wish I'd upgraded my monitor before CRTs had been discontinued. Samsung kept flaunting their awesome LED LCDs that were coming in 6 months. Years later I realize it was all bullshit. They're still doing it. And my CRT is ready to kick the bucket. And I've got no options I consider acceptable. I'm a black whore. Sue me.

1-D_FTW

Regarding the tournament: They're gonna have friendly fire on (unless it's still disabled)? That's beyond comprehension. Why would they host a tournament with a mode that breaks the way the game was designed? Has Valve stated they're never allowing the option back?

"Regarding the tournament: They're gonna have friendly fire on (unless it's still disabled)? That's beyond comprehension. Why would they host a tournament with a mode that breaks the way the game was designed? Has Valve stated they're never allowing the option back?"

I'm pretty sure the cvar is no longer available for FF on, so I'm thinking that'll get changed.

"Removed mp_friendlyfire cvar for servers. Team Fortress 2 breaks in a number of ways if this is on "

Yup.

Icy

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Regarding the tournament: They're gonna have friendly fire on (unless it's still disabled)? That's beyond comprehension. Why would they host a tournament with a mode that breaks the way the game was designed? Has Valve stated they're never allowing the option back?"

I'm pretty sure the cvar is no longer available for FF on, so I'm thinking that'll get changed.

"Removed mp_friendlyfire cvar for servers. Team Fortress 2 breaks in a number of ways if this is on "

Yup.

cvar is no longer in game or server. Its impossible to turn it on, even with a mod.

artist

Banned
How long are these matches? I can put in 4-5 hours on most Sundays easily but beyond that and I start to stink :lol

140.85 said:
Us blusers kept pushing Red back to their first point but they got us twice in sudden death. :\

well1022.jpg
Hey, I finally made it to someone's screenie :) (wachie) Yeah, we were getting razed by red in the SDs. We were just pushing too hard. :/

Cheeto

Zanboo said:
Figured I'd post this-

I thought I'd take a stab at http://www.totalgamingleague.com/roughneck

It's a $5000 TF2 tournament

102 teams signed up right now, random seeds, etc.

Thought it might be fun. I have a team set up and a couple of people interested, but I think it'd be fun to go at it full bore. Tre` has signed up and I was curious if maybe a few more GAFfers who are serious about TF2 and talented would like to sign up and compete with us.

If you're interested, send me a PM.
I'm down.

YakiSOBA

crushed: how do you get the game to run like that? my roomate cant get the game running but maybe if he made his like yours...

his gfx is some crappy on-board intel 965 chipset thing

JoeFu

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
crushed: how do you get the game to run like that? my roomate cant get the game running but maybe if he made his like yours...

his gfx is some crappy on-board intel 965 chipset thing

He's playing the Wii version duh!

Good games last night, and I got to play Warpath for the first time. I loved the chaotic battles for the bridge in the middle! Next time vote for Avantiville people!!

As for the tournament, how do 6v6 teams usually break down? I'm so used to the 24 gib fests lol. I am guessing:
2 Soldier/Heavy/Demo
1 Engineer
1 Medic
1 Spy
1 Scout
??

Cheeto

omgimaninja said:
As for the tournament, how do 6v6 teams usually break down? I'm so used to the 24 gib fests lol. I am guessing:
2 Soldier/Heavy/Demo
1 Engineer
1 Medic
1 Spy
1 Scout
??
It would depend on the map/situation. A scout may be a waste of a slot on some maps, and spies might fall victim to the highly organized teams. 6v6 is going to take a lot of thought.

Icy

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
It would depend on the map/situation. A scout may be a waste of a slot on some maps, and spies might fall victim to the highly organized teams. 6v6 is going to take a lot of thought.

Spy wouldn't work in the situation, especially with the constant communication required. Spy would only work in a situation to neutralize an enemy SG.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Dang, I'd love to play Sundays, but I got a side job. :(

I would think on a 6v6 that the team will be switching through classes more so than usual, depending on the situation. Although, at least one engineer and medic should be on the team at all times.

Icy

Banned
I'm getting rid of HLSTatsX entirely.

Going to Pyscho Stats. I will be hosting it myself and its completely customizable.

http://www.psychostats.com/psychostats/

Edit: It has no TF2 support, but I will be coding it in. :)

Edit: If any of you guys are PHP Code Junkies like me and wish to help out. Gimme a hollar.

Cheeto

Quick question for anyone who might know...Is it normal for about 50% or more of the textures in my TF-modified hammer to show as that pink checkerboard?

Icy

Banned
WhatRuOn said:
Quick question for anyone who might know...Is it normal for about 50% or more of the textures in my TF-modified hammer to show as that pink checkerboard?

Pink Checkerboard means its not found. Check your pathing.

keiichi

Icy said:
I'm getting rid of HLSTatsX entirely.

Going to Pyscho Stats. I will be hosting it myself and its completely customizable.

http://www.psychostats.com/psychostats/

Edit: It has no TF2 support, but I will be coding it in. :)

Edit: If any of you guys are PHP Code Junkies like me and wish to help out. Gimme a hollar.

What problems were you having with HLSTatsX? There's a TF2 Stat addon that's in beta for Psychostats if that helps out a bit: http://www.psychostats.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16716

Icy

Banned
keiichi said:
What problems were you having with HLSTatsX? There's a TF2 Stat addon that's in beta for Psychostats if that helps out a bit: http://www.psychostats.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16716

PayPal reversed my payments for HLStatsX Premium (Suspicious Charge.. fuckers) and Tobi who runs the damned thing won't accept anything but PayPal (what a moron).

I saw the guy's beta addon, I checked into it. I could just start with that and build up on it, but his base code is so crude its insane. He's got a shit ton of if/then else where he could easily just use while statements and other stuff. So I'll either just modify Psychostats 3.0 as is, or take his fix his problems and finish it out.

As far as the 6v6 goes, there's actually some pretty strict class restriction. 1 heavy/medic/engy/demo/spy, 2 sniper/pyro/soldier/scout.

1 demo man ftl.

Lhadatt

CrookedRain said:
If you know where they are, why don't you fire something at them? And if you know where they're standing all the time, you should know where they can and can't see you.
Typical sniper weenie argument!

I'm talking about the CP on castle with the big trench on red's side leading up to the wall on blue's side, with the CP on the other side of the wall. No idea if this is the 2nd or 3rd stage or whatever.

The bit I'm specifically mentioning is a spot that A) I can't fire at if I'm sticking to my normal classes (pyro = limited range, heavy = inaccurate and slow), and B) is inaccessible to anyone not on blue team because it's right behind the spawn door. We can't get a spy in there because of the spawn entrance block, and anything else thrown that way has inaccurate aim (except maybe soldier, but those guys are usually picked off before they could get a good shot anyway).

The snipers have visibility to both core routes to the CP from that ramp. Yes, you can go down the trench or over the wall on the right side to get around them, but they're still a problem on the right side between the wall and ramp up to the CP.

The only other thing that will stop you weenies is another sniper squad on red team, but there are problems with that:

- Poor map design. It's not balanced if there's no way for any of the other classes to get at the roost of one particular class. I don't have issues with snipers anywhere except this CP. Spies can't get to them, I can't burn them, the heavy has accuracy issues at that distance, etc. The other CPs on Castle don't have this issue because the views from the spawn point doors are blocked by stuff or are close enough for other classes to accurately shoot at.

- No one skilled with the sniper or willing to be one? There goes a good chunk of a chance to score that CP. That's a teamwork issue that shouldn't be a valid point here, but I think the amount of sniper action justifies raising it.

I know responses will boil down to "zomg play harder n00b" and such, but I see legitimate sniper domination issues with that CP.

n0b

Teknopathetic said:
As far as the 6v6 goes, there's actually some pretty strict class restriction. 1 heavy/medic/engy/demo/spy, 2 sniper/pyro/soldier/scout.

1 demo man ftl.
Leagues always have strict class restrictions. I agree that the demoman limit seems kind of stupid though, they should switch the demo and sniper limits.

Icy

Banned
n0b said:
Leagues always have strict class restrictions. I agree that the demoman limit seems kind of stupid though, they should switch the demo and sniper limits.

2 snipers on a team really isn't gonna work unless you're playing some idiots.

Remy

Icy, I realize it's a goofy map, but is there any chance we can get vintage_2fort5r into the rotation?

I found it on another server this morning and had quite a laugh over it.

(I can send it to you if you need it.)

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Total BS on that Dustbowl game just now.

Reds defended the first CP for the whole five minutes, and overtime went into effect even though no Blus were on the point.

Icy

Banned
Remy said:
Icy, I realize it's a goofy map, but is there any chance we can get vintage_2fort5r into the rotation?

I found it on another server this morning and had quite a laugh over it.

(I can send it to you if you need it.)

I have it, just not on the servers. I will reupload it, but not into the rotation.

10 minutes before any map ends, a mapvote should automatically appear anyways :D

Total BS on that Dustbowl game just now.

Reds defended the first CP for the whole five minutes, and overtime went into effect even though no Blus were on the point.
Another reason why they're Blusers.

Is the vintage_2fort the one modeled with Quake 1 textures and small ceilings? I tried it and hated it. Sure it's fun for a minute but after that ughh.

Icy

Banned
omgimaninja said:
Another reason why they're Blusers.

Is the vintage_2fort the one modeled with Quake 1 textures and small ceilings? I tried it and hated it. Sure it's fun for a minute but after that ughh.

yes. Only us old schoolers, get a kick out of it.

WhatRuOn said:

The pink checkerboard is due to Hammer not rendering a certain kind of detail overlay correctly. This happened to me too, so I made some transparent textures to replace the ones that were causing problems. Download this and extract to your mod's overlays folder - so it would be like SourceMods/TF2Test(or whatever you named your mod)/materials/overlays, and say yes to overwrite.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y7Q77T9S

Cheeto

Confidence Man said:
The pink checkerboard is due to Hammer not rendering a certain kind of detail overlay correctly. This happened to me too, so I made some transparent textures to replace the ones that were causing problems. Download this and extract to your mod's overlays folder - so it would be like SourceMods/TF2Test(or whatever you named your mod)/materials/overlays, and say yes to overwrite.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y7Q77T9S
You are a living legend.

"Total BS on that Dustbowl game just now.

Reds defended the first CP for the whole five minutes, and overtime went into effect even though no Blus were on the point."

The point was contested. Overtime doesn't end until it goes back to uncontested. That's just the beginning and end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom