• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icy

Banned
Still unfair.

300x334.aspx

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
So that explains why the control point is highlighted a while after someone touches it. Thought overtime was just something server side - meant for other CP stages where both teams are attacking.

Icy please get rid of the castle stage, had the misfortune to try it earlier and it's just horrible.

Lhadatt said:
Typical sniper weenie argument!

I'm talking about the CP on castle with the big trench on red's side leading up to the wall on blue's side, with the CP on the other side of the wall. No idea if this is the 2nd or 3rd stage or whatever.

The bit I'm specifically mentioning is a spot that A) I can't fire at if I'm sticking to my normal classes (pyro = limited range, heavy = inaccurate and slow), and B) is inaccessible to anyone not on blue team because it's right behind the spawn door. We can't get a spy in there because of the spawn entrance block, and anything else thrown that way has inaccurate aim (except maybe soldier, but those guys are usually picked off before they could get a good shot anyway).

The snipers have visibility to both core routes to the CP from that ramp. Yes, you can go down the trench or over the wall on the right side to get around them, but they're still a problem on the right side between the wall and ramp up to the CP.

The only other thing that will stop you weenies is another sniper squad on red team, but there are problems with that:

- Poor map design. It's not balanced if there's no way for any of the other classes to get at the roost of one particular class. I don't have issues with snipers anywhere except this CP. Spies can't get to them, I can't burn them, the heavy has accuracy issues at that distance, etc. The other CPs on Castle don't have this issue because the views from the spawn point doors are blocked by stuff or are close enough for other classes to accurately shoot at.

- No one skilled with the sniper or willing to be one? There goes a good chunk of a chance to score that CP. That's a teamwork issue that shouldn't be a valid point here, but I think the amount of sniper action justifies raising it.

I know responses will boil down to "zomg play harder n00b" and such, but I see legitimate sniper domination issues with that CP.
I don't ever snipe from inside the spawn area unless the other team is spawn camping the door. I'm still not even sure which part you're talking about. :lol

Give it time though. Each new beta version of the map has added more cover and made it harder for sniping. Also, anytime the sniper gets hit by a bullet, his aim fluctuates so it can be pretty hard to shoot people in the head if someone is constantly firing at them.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
omgimaninja said:
Nice, I look forward to hearing Aaron Stack telling us how he's almost got his OVER CHARGE ready. Does he post on GAF?

:lol That guy never stops talking. He's like, "ooo-bah CHAJ!"

YakiSOBA

Was playing as spy in CP_Well and right at the start I snuck behind the enemy lines, and backstabbed like 6-7 people in a row as they were trying to cap on the bridge :lol

140.85 said:
:lol That guy never stops talking. He's like, "ooo-bah CHAJ!"
LOL true, but I also talk alot. I just think it's funny the way he kept pronouncing it :)
I hope what I say *sometimes* helps the team. Unfortunately my team usually just hears "WATCH OUT SPY BEH....*
XXXXX killed Puyo
:lol

Daigoro

shit i havent been on in AGES. too many fucking games to play, too little time.

whenever i click on this thread though i have this uncontrollable urge to play TF2 all night. ill probably be on after work tonight. hope to see some familiar faces.

3 servers? wow.

calder said:
I desperately want to play TF2, but my comp is shit. :(

Now Portal runs just fine on it, very smooth and at a reasonable res, but portal's drab industrial environments and empty testings labs don't really add up to the most graphically taxing game. But is it worth it to get TF2? I don't need it to look good (I know it won't), and as long as it's approaching 30ish frames I can handle running it down to 800x600. I just want to play lol.

Oh my specs are at least a bit higher than the required specs, but I put very little faith in that. I have a 2.4ghz processor, 1gig of ram and a (sigh) geforce 9550. Laugh if you must, but tell me if I could run TF2 well enough to enjoy it based on my fairly modest standards.

TF2 runs better on my pc than Portal does. dont ask me why, but Portal was the choppiest game in Orange box for me. TF2 ran the best, then EP2, then Portal.

Join us!

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Icy said:
http://www.babble.com/CS/photos/apr2007/images/16575/300x334.aspx
Wow, I'm sorry, Icy! Please don't cry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. :(

Really, it's okay, totally my fault. Next time I see you using admin powers to teleport into our spawn point to spawncamp people from behind, I won't kill you as badly as I did the last time that happened.

Daigoro

omgimaninja said:
LOL true, but I also talk alot. I just think it's funny the way he kept pronouncing it :)
I hope what I say *sometimes* helps the team. Unfortunately my team usually just hears "WATCH OUT SPY BEH....*
XXXXX killed Puyo

i hate spy's so very much! (specially as medic)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
omgimaninja said:
XXXXX killed Puyo
That's a better contribution than when I, during sudden death, was going to point out where the enemy was. I saw most of Red moving in from the left and just yelled out, "Holy shit!" :lol

Daigoro

fallengorn said:
That's a better contribution than when I, during sudden death, was going to point out where the enemy was. I saw most of Red moving in from the left and just yelled out, "Holy shit!" :lol

1-D_FTW

What's with the short spectator timer? I clicked to join a server and came back two minutes later expecting the map to have loaded and was kicked for spectating too long.

Doytch

1-D_FTW said:
What's with the short spectator timer? I clicked to join a server and came back two minutes later expecting the map to have loaded and was kicked for spectating too long.

Same. I went to go pick up my print outs and got kicked and had to sit through the line again. :(

But when I did get in, I had some fun games. There's nothing like three ubercharges in a row to cheer you up after a god awful Differentials midterm! :lol We had awesome medics on Warpath :D

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
1-D_FTW said:
I suspect that since the servers are usually at capacity, Icy's just making sure that no one's just holding up a spot. That or he doesn't want us to go to the bathroom, and wants us to end up dying in our chairs like a zerg rusher near the 38th parrallel.

1-D_FTW

fallengorn said:
I suspect that since the servers are usually at capacity, Icy's just making sure that no one's just holding up a spot. That or he doesn't want us to go to the bathroom, and wants us to end up dying in our chairs.

You caught me. I went to take a piss cause I was gonna start populating a server with 0 players in it. Figured I wouldn't be missing anything. And wham. Kicked.

fallout

fallengorn said:
I suspect that since the servers are usually at capacity, Icy's just making sure that no one's just holding up a spot. That or he doesn't want us to go to the bathroom, and wants us to end up dying in our chairs like a zerg rusher near the 38th parrallel.
Time to bust out the poopsock.

Icy

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

Spectating is limited to 1 minute to prevent people from sitting in spots that could be used for people qued to join.

1-D_FTW

Icy said:
Spectating is limited to 1 minute to prevent people from sitting in spots that could be used for people qued to join.

Glad I know it now and not after waiting for 5-10 minutes. Need to pay attention and not finish up what I'm doing once it switches to joining.

omgimaninja said:
XXXXX killed Puyo
You definitely help the team out with your communication. I think you're an inspiration for trying to get a mic setup. I just need to find my extension cable since my mic won't reach but I'm not sure if it's with me here at college or at home. Well, I also don't know if I could use it all the time since I share a room. But just from playing with you, it makes me want to have a mic setup.

omgimaninja said:
XXXXX killed Puyo

Actually you help alot most of time. I would talk more but the walls in my apartment building are like paper and my mic isn't very sensitive. :lol

Icy said:

Really? I chose spectate last night in server #1 and I was immediately kicked the instant I clicked on the option.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
140.85 said:
Really? I chose spectate last night in server #1 and I was immediately kicked the instant I clicked on the option.
I went into spectator mode earlier today and I got a message saying I could only spectate for 0.9 minutes or something like that.

Lhadatt

CrookedRain said:
I don't ever snipe from inside the spawn area unless the other team is spawn camping the door. I'm still not even sure which part you're talking about. :lol
I don't think it was you, I forget though.

Give it time though. Each new beta version of the map has added more cover and made it harder for sniping. Also, anytime the sniper gets hit by a bullet, his aim fluctuates so it can be pretty hard to shoot people in the head if someone is constantly firing at them.
Yeah, I know it's still in development. I don't mind playing it now and then, but I don't think it should be in the rotation - not yet anyway. It actually gets fairly tedious as the match goes on and people tend to drop.

If I was motivated enough to learn Hammer, I would build the castlest map of all castle maps. But I'm too busy playing TF2 to deal with it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Finally had a decent CTF Fort match where people were willing to defend. Pyro is fucking nasty with a Medic in those areas :lol

Lhadatt

speedpop said:
Finally had a decent CTF Fort match where people were willing to defend. Pyro is fucking nasty with a Medic in those areas :lol
A defending pyro is madness! Beware the pyro who hates going outside, he is a cranky one!

Lots of crazy times tonite on granary, gravel pit, dustbowl and well. Many thanks the medics! :D Why'd you leave so early Puyo?

g1023.jpg

w1023.jpg

Finally my adsl filtered faceplate came so by tomorrow I'll have interleaved turned off, sacrifice a little speed for faster pings. Which hopefully will be enough to make the Neogaf servers playable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom