• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

Ouch, 7 gigs? I was hoping it was 3 or 4. Oh well, I'm likely not going to be on until tomorrow night then, my Portal download speed was pretty meh.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
*sigh*

Just when I start having time to play again I can't get my desktop's network connection to work like it normally should.

Hitokage said:
I loved what was in place on one CS:S server that was 24/7 Office I think. Voting was enabled and the prompt was:

Will cs_office be the next map?
1. Yes
2. No

*Everyone votes No*

"Voting has finished. cs_office will be the next map."
I remember that. :lol

Anyway, I haven't been playng much. Puzzle Quest has been owning my life...and I think COD4 will do the same soon.

Once I build a new PC (8800GT get!), I'll probably be playing a lot more.

poovine

I'm in need of a Mr. Miyagi and/or the old dude from Rocky to teach me the ways of TF2. Bottom line is that I suck. I admit it. I'm not proud, but I do know that I know how to play PC FPS. All I need is someone that would want to accept me into their personal TF2 university. I'd really appreciate any help and I"ll pay with many virtual buttsecks and/or non vitual buttsecks.

poovine said:
I'm in need of a Mr. Miyagi and/or the old dude from Rocky to teach me the ways of TF2. Bottom line is that I suck. I admit it. I'm not proud, but I do know that I know how to play PC FPS. All I need is someone that would want to accept me into their personal TF2 university. I'd really appreciate any help and I"ll pay with many virtual buttsecks and/or non vitual buttsecks.

Shawn Elliot's/FartofWar's tips on the recent episodes of GFW Radio are extremely helpful, especially the basic spy stuff. And enable fast weapon switching.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
poovine said:
Well uh, elaborate on these. What's going wrong? What do you think you should normally be able to do?

timmy

typo said:
Shawn Elliot's/FartofWar's tips on the recent episodes of GFW Radio are extremely helpful, especially the basic spy stuff. And enable fast weapon switching.
Which episodes specifically?

1-D_FTW

That spectate kick is messed up.

I started a game and screwed around with demoman (aiming practice) until someone joined.

After I was killed, I went to change classes and hit period instead (Team change.) After about five seconds, I was kicked for spectating too long. Literally in the time I fumbled to find the comma key, I was kicked.

EDIT: And what is fast weapon switching? Mapping last weapon to a mouse button? I haven't listened to the last episode cause I haven't finished portal and don't want spoilers.

EDIT: And what is fast weapon switching? Mapping last weapon to a mouse button? I haven't listened to the last episode cause I haven't finished portal and don't want spoilers.

If you go to the keyboard options in TF2 and click on the "advanced" button, you can turn on fast weapon switching which basically just changes your weapon with the mouse wheel instead of giving you a preview of each weapon first.

firex

I use shift to switch weapons because I'm not precise enough with the mousewheel. Not that I don't use mousewheel if I have to use more than 2 weapons, but usually since I just switch between primary/secondary.

Q is absolutely perfect for fast weapon switch tbh. Most classes don't have more than 3 weapons so you've got q to switch between your offensive weapons and then the numbers about for everything else.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Default method of weapon switching is to select an item in your inventory, then hit shoot/fire to change to that weapon.

Fast weapon switch skips the selection part and immeditately changes weapons. 1 brings up primary, 2 secondary, and so on, while mousewheel now goes through each weapon one by one.

You can also just hit the number key for the weapon you want. You mainly just need to remember the following:

1: primary weapon
2: secondary weapon
3: melee weapon
4: disguise kit/build
5: engineer object detonator

I usually set myself up so q switches between my primary and secondary weapon and press 3 when I need to pull out my melee weapon.

1-D_FTW

Alright. I only use two weapons at a time, so I've just mapped last weapon to mouse button 4.

Although I will enable the option. I think the preview has annoyed me a couple times as engineer.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
MrPing1000 said:
Q is absolutely perfect for fast weapon switch tbh. Most classes don't have more than 3 weapons so you've got q to switch between your offensive weapons and then the numbers about for everything else.

I agree with the use of Q. I never run around with the shovel as a soldier so its always the first 2 weapons. Shoot a rocket, Q to switch to shotgun, Q again for rocket etc. So easy and quick it kicks ass.

If you want Q to switch between weapons 2 and 3 then just press 2 then 3, hit q and it should now switch between those two. Just seems to switch between your last two used weapons.

firex

son of a bitch... I had an awesome streak going today on this one server where I dominated like 6 people in one game of hydro and I know I screenshotted the scoreboard, but it isn't there.

ICY! I can't join the GAF server. It says I am using a newer version than the client???!!! :(

I think you need to download the new Steam update.

calder

Downloaded faster than I thought (it started at 54%, presumably because I have Portal), it's patching now and I'm about to jump in and suck. :D

Seems like no major changes to gameplay. One's worth noting:

* Deathcam screenshots now move the player id panel to the lower right, and hide other hud elements until the freezecam fades
* Improved autobalance calculation code when determining who to switch
* Engineer buildings now explode when the Engineer dies during sudden death
* Re-added class count numbers above class buttons for non-zero classes, in addition to the class images
* Removed prefixes (tc_, ctf_, etc.) from map names in various places where they're printed

Remy

Here's the full list:

* Improved compatibility for direct sound
* Deathcam screenshots now move the player id panel to the lower right, and hide other hud elements until the freezecam fades
* Improved autobalance calculation code when determining who to switch
* Improved networking compatibility for some routers
* Fixed a crash during level init related to model loading
* Fixed issues on Dustbowl and Hydro that could occur when a server emptied in the middle of a round
* Fixed a bug in the clientside player avoidance code, and smoothed it a little more
* Further crash fixes related to paged pool memory usage
* Fixed scoreboard team scores label getting cut off
* Engineer buildings now explode when the Engineer dies during sudden death
* Fixed a spy backstab exploit where you could stab a player who was not facing away from you
* Fixed flailing at the low end of the cloak meter when the player gets uncloaked automatically
* Fixed texture detail level setting "Very high" not being preserved
* Improved various error messages, and added links to steampowered support pages
* Fixed scoring problem where destroying a buildable added a phantom point, not attributed to any scoring bucket but still included in total score
* Fixed honeypot server problems
* Fixed a rare crash caused by a medigun losing its owner
* Fixed an exploit that allowed disconnected medics to continue ubercharging their target until they timed out
* TeamMenu now disables the spectate button if mp_allowspectators is zero
* Added a missing "cannot_be_spectator" localization string
* Re-added class count numbers above class buttons for non-zero classes, in addition to the class images
* Removed prefixes (tc_, ctf_, etc.) from map names in various places where they're printed
* Fixed some edge cases where grenades could go through player or buildings
* Fixed rocket/grenade explosions being able to impart damage through thin ceilings
* The Engineer's "build X" commands will now behave properly when bound directly to keys

ezekial45

Banned
Is anyone else having connection issues? I keep getting kicked from a game after a minutes of playing with a message saying that its having trouble securing a connection. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jupiter

ezekial45 said:
Is anyone else having connection issues? I keep getting kicked from a game after a minutes of playing with a message saying that its having trouble securing a connection. Has anyone else had this problem?

Same here. Now after updating it says im using a newer version client than the server.

Javaman

typo said:

Yeah, that sucks. At least there's this... I hope it counts for thin walls too.

* Fixed rocket/grenade explosions being able to impart damage through thin ceilings
* The Engineer's "build X" commands will now behave properly when bound directly to keys

Doytch

Wonder if this fixed the flamethrower burning people through the wireframe doors at the beginning of a game.

Spy bugfix is awesome. Wish you could disable overlay on screenshots completely though.

Anytime there's an update, the servers have to be updated too.

Which I am doing now.

Woooooooo!!!

saelz8

Steam was updated too.

Fixed games sometimes getting minimized on the first friends message received or sent via the in-game overlay
Fixed Server Browser hang on first refresh
The in-game overlay now saves dialog positions on a per resolution basis
Improved in-game overlay compatibility with some third party security applications (Tiny Personal Firewall among others)
The in-game overlay is no longer required for Orange Box games and will respect the setting to disable it
Fixed input issues with some non-Steam games when used with the in-game overlay (World in Conflict now works)
Fixed individual voice chats not transitioning their call state correctly to the in-game overlay when launching a game while a voice chat is active
Improved the look and feel for the games and mini-games lists
Fixed various layout and color problems in all of the non-default skins
Fixed a rare crash bug in the Server Browser
Fix bug preventing non-ASCII characters at leading or trailing end of friends names
Fixed Voice tab in settings dialog not always controlling correct sound card, if user had more than one sound capture card
Fixed My Games list icons getting randomized

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cant backstab from a 3/4 back pose anymore? Well, there go half my points.

Icy

Banned
I'm going to need some additional admins, Gonna switch some stuff around.

I'll have Lead Admins and Sub Admins.

Sub Admins only have admin powers in game when a Lead Admin is not on the server.

You will also get access to my backend for rebooting servers and running the HLDS update tool (patches) for if I am unable to path the servers (not around like tonight)

PM Your Apps :D

calder

Omg so fun. :D

Runs just fine on my old rig. I only played one map so far until the phone interupted me, but it was awesome. I didn't have a clue what I was doing at first and couldn't kill anyone (I'm wholly unused to the old-school shooter vibe of this game in regards to actually having to shoot guys a lot to kill them) but then I went medic and just followed guys. I'm not quite sure what the charge thing is but I think I did it at a bad time. Oh well.

I have to get my mic working, I don't know why it's not since it was fine all those months of WoW. And I need to find the GAF servers.

Icy

Banned
Castle 1.0 Released:

FINAL 1.0 CHANGES:

* Stage 1-
* -Added small health/ammo to far dropdown entrance of inside castle.
* -Added a wall inside the castle to prevent excessive sniper spam.
* -Wood fences added inside the castle.

* Stage 2-
* -An additional CP has been added to this area half way through. It will add 4.5 minutes to the timer when taken.
* -More crate cover added to far path.
* -A wall has been added to the far path to block LOS to the red resupply, cutting down on sniper spam.
* -Tweaked some health and ammo packs.
* -The wall leading to the last CP has switched sides in attempt to bring better flow to the CP.

* Stage 3-
* -The main bridge has been redone visually and now has a cover over it. This should also help with excessive sniping.
* -Soldiers can no longer unintentially get on top of the starting wall.
* -Tweaked some health and ammo packs.
* -Some wall locations have been adjusted inside the final fortress to increase flow to the last CP.
* -Additional signs added.

* General-
* -Visually many details have been added everywhere.
* -More optimization added in every area.
* -Sun brightness reduced slightly.
* -All areas now have 18 spawn points assigned.
* -Many flatter areas have been modified to be more uneven.
* -Rocks have been recolored to better match the surroundings.
* -All CP's now take 6 seconds to capture. This is a small change only to area 2.
* -Timers have been revised with the addition of the double-CP areas. The net result is mostly identical timings, but it has been streamlined. They are as follows:
* Area 1 - Start: 7.5 minutes
* Area 1 - Capture: Add 4.5 minutes
* Area 2A - Capture: Add 4.5 minutes
* Area 2B - Capture: Add 4.5 minutes
* Area 3A - Capture: Add 4.5 minutes

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
calder said:
Omg so fun. :D

Runs just fine on my old rig. I only played one map so far until the phone interupted me, but it was awesome. I didn't have a clue what I was doing at first and couldn't kill anyone (I'm wholly unused to the old-school shooter vibe of this game in regards to actually having to shoot guys a lot to kill them) but then I went medic and just followed guys. I'm not quite sure what the charge thing is but I think I did it at a bad time. Oh well.

I have to get my mic working, I don't know why it's not since it was fine all those months of WoW. And I need to find the GAF servers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7986690&postcount=1940

yeb

I like the engineer sudden death change a lot. One good backstab can basically stop the other team from turtling, no need for sappers.

calder

Thanks for the games guys, I played way too long lol.

I love how medic is the perfect noob class. They made it very rewarding to learn to play by sticking with ppl and getting into scraps while still ensuring you didn't have to worry about doing too much. I'm going to try to learn engineer and some of the other classes next, I'm just bad with soldier and heavy so far so I'm going to stick with support classes.

I also need my mic fixed, I wanted to ask some questions but typing is suddenly too much of a hassle after using headsets for everything online the last few months.

Firestorm

Great game there. So much healing I set a bunch of stat records for myself. Also the first game I got over 100 points in. Too bad I didn't know how to take a screenshot of the scoreboard =(

JoeFu

Banned
Firestorm said:
Great game there. So much healing I set a bunch of stat records for myself. Also the first game I got over 100 points in. Too bad I didn't know how to take a screenshot of the scoreboard =(

just press print screen and go to paint, or use fraps. whatever floats your boat.

Anyways fun stuff today with B||ood and others on castle and granary, bunch of ownage from us today.

firex

well, it's 1:30 so I had to quit (I just suddenly realized that after sudden death) but that was fun tonight. I need to get the microphone that came with my headphones set up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Meh, didn't occur to me to use the waterway to avoid getting sniped until later on. Oh well, was great to play again after so long(one week!).

Firestorm: F5 is screenshot

calder: Amazingly enough, a lot of people are horrible at being a medic. That's why the server MOTD has a "Medic 101" section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom