• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

JADS

yeoz said:
Seems like this would be easy enough to test. Use textmode idling and hit your drop cap, and then, you shouldn't crash again, if it's item-drop related. If you do crash after you've hit your drop limit, then, it's not item-drop related.

I just did that and the game crashed for me as well. Text Mode idling, game crashed when I got an item (Violet Paint and an Axtinguisher verified by looking at the backpack at TF2items)

Proven

I might be done with offline practice...

6hozh4.jpg

yeoz

JADS said:
I just did that and the game crashed for me as well. Text Mode idling, game crashed when I got an item (Violet Paint and an Axtinguisher verified by looking at the backpack at TF2items)
That doesn't make sense though. You would've crashed after the first item, if it were item drops that were causing you to crash, I think. Exhaust your item drops first, and see if you stop crashing. Also, it would be worth trying to "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" from Steam as well.

Anyone else notice getting a huge framerate drop in performance the last couple of weeks? I've got a 5850+Q9550 and I used to get above 60 FPS all the time but then lately it's dipping into the sub 30 regions at some points. I don't know whether it's the GPU driver or the updates (that and server lists are borked for me).

Nabs

Gully State said:
Anyone else notice getting a huge framerate drop in performance the last couple of weeks? I've got a 5850+Q9550 and I used to get above 60 FPS all the time but then lately it's dipping into the sub 30 regions at some points. I don't know whether it's the GPU driver or the updates (that and server lists are borked for me).
that's not right at all. are you sure you don't have super sampling enabled in CCC or something?

JADS

yeoz said:
That doesn't make sense though. You would've crashed after the first item, if it were item drops that were causing you to crash, I think. Exhaust your item drops first, and see if you stop crashing. Also, it would be worth trying to "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" from Steam as well.

Double drop? I am positive that I got both items at the same time. (IIRC paint and weapons are on a different drop system) TF2 is a fresh install, just a few hours old.

Edit: Hmm crashing doesn't seem to happen all the time. I just got a Frontier Justice and it didn't crash.

Nabs said:
that's not right at all. are you sure you don't have super sampling enabled in CCC or something?

I'll double check again when I get home tonight but that's the first thing I looked at. I've got all my AA settings application controlled (at least I think I do). I did install 10.12 last night though (of course I've been noticing the slowdown qualitatively over the last week- last night FRAPS confirmed it).

yeoz

JADS said:
Double drop? I am positive that I got both items at the same time. (IIRC paint and weapons are on a different drop system) TF2 is a fresh install, just a few hours old.

Edit: Hmm crashing doesn't seem to happen all the time. I just got a Frontier Justice and it didn't crash.
Crates and hats are both on different drop systems, but, I think that everything else is part of the regular drop system. I don't know for sure. Anyway, you'll definitely need to exhaust your drops, as otherwise, it's really impossible to tell if it's drop related.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Its a pretty good trade, though there are a few really common hats (The Parasite, Ellis Cap, The 2009 Gibus) that may not be worth it.

Clydefrog

Drkirby said:
Its a pretty good trade, though there are a few really common hats (The Parasite, Ellis Cap, The 2009 Gibus) that may not be worth it.

Yeah, I figured I'd only get common hats for 1 refined but that doesn't matter to me. I just want to craft two hats together to get a new random hat. This way a new random hat will only cost me 2 refined instead of 3 refined.

I know I have a possibility of crafting another common hat but that's fine. I don't want any hats in particular... maybe except that sniper Robin Hood hat!

Forkball

People want way too much for hats these days. On TF2TP people are asking anywhere from 4-6 refined for non-vintage hats. I just want hats I like, I don't care about which one is worth more.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
(._.) said:
I'm holding out and gonna sell all my stuff when vintage hats are rare.
Its going to take a while, most vintage hats are more common then there non-vintage counterparts.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BloodySinner said:
So it's not broken. Just engie users playing smart.
Any Engie playing smart can contribute to a domination of a map. But a well placed sentry (derp in one of two spots every single time) can control choke points with little effort. In such a case, where something unbalances the team dynamic and class dynamic, whether you call it broken or not, somethings up. It is especially worst on maps where teams insist on having 3 engies or something. Just exploiting the flaws of that map.

Though if you get a really good game going that doesn't have that BS, it's one of my favourite maps in the game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Chinner said:
the 100% health increase sucked, and this will as well. just leave the health alone valve.
Well, they said one point of the beta is to also try and make sure their assumptions of what works and doesn't is right, so I expect to see them try some more game changing things and see what it does to balance. Personally, I felt that the Dispenser and Teleporter HP boosts worked pretty well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, it does the Global broadcast when ever it happens. The only time I saw it was during the Engineer Update when someone's account got hacked and the wrench deleted (Valve gave it back though)

I have seen someone use it on a trading server, tis ok. I killed the man, so I am satisfied.

Yeef

Gully State said:
Yup:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25375161&postcount=5183

I don't know what the specific problem is, but even lowering all of my settings and my resolution doesn't fix it. When it first happened I was worried my processor was going bad, but it only happens in TF2 and no other game (not even the TF2 Beta).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Forkball said:
I was on a server when someone deleted their Golden Wrench tonight. I was on Egypt, and the message came up that someone had deleted their Golden Wrench. At first I was kind of skeptical since the server had a lot of add-ons so I thought maybe it was a joke, but the owner posted a thread on the Steam forums about it. Kind of wish I saw him use it though before he deleted it.

Playing on one of my Arena servers (Lotus, Doorman, SourceOP, I can't recall), I once saw a Golden Wrench used a few times. It was amazing, and I hope that they reappear at some point in mass.

wwm0nkey

Ok maybe you guys can help me with this. For some reason all of my source games crash when I try to find servers. Is there a fix for this at all because I have un-installed this atleast 3 times already.

I am running Windows 7 64x with a GTX 470.

Yasae

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Any Engie playing smart can contribute to a domination of a map. But a well placed sentry (derp in one of two spots every single time) can control choke points with little effort. In such a case, where something unbalances the team dynamic and class dynamic, whether you call it broken or not, somethings up. It is especially worst on maps where teams insist on having 3 engies or something. Just exploiting the flaws of that map.

Though if you get a really good game going that doesn't have that BS, it's one of my favourite maps in the game.
This is why a quite a few servers have engie limits. In some cases, one engie per team.

If they wouldn't have made the wrangler shield so resistant to damage and given manually controlled sentries a limited range, I doubt any of these engie caps would be necessary.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Clydefrog said:
Yeah, wrangler pisses me off. But I can usually find that engineer and stick an arrow in his face before his sentry kills me.
I usually taunt them. "Hey, thinks for leaving your self totally open! *Sets on Fire/backstab*

Blizzard

Banned
Yasae said:
This is why a quite a few servers have engie limits. In some cases, one engie per team.

If they wouldn't have made the wrangler shield so resistant to damage and given manually controlled sentries a limited range, I doubt any of these engie caps would be necessary.
I could see too many of a few different classes potentially causing issues, but as for engineers, I seem to recall mass engineers made 2fort annoying before the wrangler was even introduced. I blame map design in that case, though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, like 3 Engineers and 2 Pyros can make it hell to try and break though the base. At your Your Eternal Reward makes it a bit easier for a spy since he can back stab the engineer and not get shot up.

College is breaking my TF2 streak, I played yesterday terrible. I only managed to backstab once and some Pyro was screwing my Demo play, since he always appeared behind me all the time and my teammates didn't stand on the freaking point.

Edit: And count me on the ones with framerate drop since the last update.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My framerate is still fine. Window 7 64 bit, 4 core AMD Phenom II CPU, 4GB of Ram, and a crummy Nvidia Geforce 9500GT.

Yeef

W7 64 Ultimate
AMD Dual Core 5200+
4 GB RAM
GTX460

It's really annoying. I was planning on upgrading my system when I got my tax return, but it's going to be a lot less than I had anticipated. So much less, in fact, that it's not a return at all!
I owe like $98 :|

Yasae

Banned
Yeef said:
W7 64 Ultimate
AMD Dual Core 5200+
4 GB RAM
GTX460

It's really annoying. I was planning on upgrading my system when I got my tax return, but it's going to be a lot less than I had anticipated. So much less, in fact, that it's not a return at all!
I owe like $98 :|
Considering I have a 460 as well, I might try the beta and see if my performance is similar. If so, the card may be at fault... Unfortunately.

Chinner

Banned
Yeef said:
Yup:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25375161&postcount=5183

I don't know what the specific problem is, but even lowering all of my settings and my resolution doesn't fix it. When it first happened I was worried my processor was going bad, but it only happens in TF2 and no other game (not even the TF2 Beta).
all the new weapons have high poly counts and no LOD models. someone on SA and emailed Robin and apparently they're going to be releasing a patch fixing this.

Yeef

Chinner said:
all the new weapons have high poly counts and no LOD models. someone on SA and emailed Robin and apparently they're going to be releasing a patch fixing this.
Yeah, I knew about that (it's why the Beta has always run better than the regular game), but it doesn't really explain why a patch that fixed a sound bug and added a kill icon made things so much worse. Then again, a patch that added kill icons introduced a sound bug and some animation glitches, so who knows what's going on at Valve.

Yasae

Banned
Dug said:
Because of this thread.
:rolleyes

And yes that's irony.
Chinner said:
They miraculously forgot about all those other assets with LOD models, I'm sure. They didn't even produce the original game. Gabe waved a magic wand and TF2 appeared. And he can do this with Episode 3, so any delays are entirely his fault.

It's funny, I distinctly remember UDK giving you the option to automatically create lower-quality assets for distant LOD. Source doesn't have any of this?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Gypsy Davey has been on the Java server a bit. He's alright...though he's usually a pubstomper with a pocket med.
Yz50 I've played with on a Pug...fucking bastard almost dominated the entire other team! :U

Fun to watch, though I'm sure some people I know who aren't comp players could've beat these guys in this format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom