• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

It's Saturday night and no one's on the GAF server?

Blizzard said:
I was disappointed that that wasn't the Valve vs. other people match, but perhaps that one(s?) hasn't happened yet. I did recognize the Gypsy Davey guy...I don't remember where I've played with him though.

It did happen. Here's the coverage. Map 1 happened on Badwater, map 2 on Granary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdM0HYT07Rk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCIP1Z-m7EQ

Usually I enjoy Extine and his casts, but honestly I found him kinda annoying for this one. Kept talking up competitive play too much and kept missing stuff happening around the map. He also miscalled which weapons were allowed/banned, such as Milk.

Yeef

Proven said:
Our signal bearers appear to be busy tonight...
Lots of of TF2 GAF plays on the GG server (68.232.178.174:27015) when the GAF server is empty. I'll to busy playing Mass Effect 2 tonight for TF2, but if you can get at least 4 people on the GAF server concurrently send me a message and I'll post an announcement.

9k7xa.png

Forkball

Goon Boon said:
Dead ringer is AMAZING with the fez set. :(
Speaking of Dead Ringer, I can't get the hang of this thing. You have to really rely heavily on your disguise which I normally dislike, or you have to basically do very un-Spy behavior like run into the middle of a firefight to activate it. Some people clean house with the Dead Ringer, but I completely suck at it.

The point of Dead Ringer is for you to have a second life. Unlike the other watches, if you ever get caught you still have a VERY good chance of living unless there's an airblasting Pyro around. You will want to have at least nearly full cloak as much as possible since you're extremely vulnerable without a full cloak nor a disguise.

Like, activate DR to penetrate the enemy front line, grab an ammo box, start to attempt some backstabs. If you somehow fail a stab quickly activate it to run and deactivate it in a secluded spot.

Try to deactivate it sooner rather than waiting for the thing to empty so you retain some cloak. IIRC deactivating it soon will let you keep 40% cloak.

IceMarker

I don't usually get on the GAF server, but when I do...

Hazaro and I fight together for the lulz!
And murder everything in sight!

Chinner

Banned
Yasae said:
:rolleyes

And yes that's irony.

They miraculously forgot about all those other assets with LOD models, I'm sure. They didn't even produce the original game. Gabe waved a magic wand and TF2 appeared. And he can do this with Episode 3, so any delays are entirely his fault.

It's funny, I distinctly remember UDK giving you the option to automatically create lower-quality assets for distant LOD. Source doesn't have any of this?
i'm not sure if you're being patronizing, i think you are. i'm not pulling that out of thing air, someone SA detailed it and many of the weapons released since the launch of TF2 have no LOD.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Drkirby said:
Joke is meh, but I do like how he has a box of dead ringers labeled 'Useless Junk'
I'd like to think that's a Gentlemanne's Service Medal in there. That'd make more sense.

Also fuck the dead ringer, I got like 6 dead ringer drops in a row at a time.

Twig

Banned
cooljeanius said:
I keep hearing f7 mentioned in relation to GG, but I've never really heard the whole story as to what happened between them... could someone fill me in?
I don't really know, 'cause while I once liked F7, there was a point at which their admins or community or whatever just seemed to turn into a bunch of dicks and I stopped going to that server.

AFAIK, there was some sort of shit that went down and the community split so that a bunch of old F7 members started their own little thing, GG.

Cipherr

Forkball said:
Speaking of Dead Ringer, I can't get the hang of this thing. You have to really rely heavily on your disguise which I normally dislike, or you have to basically do very un-Spy behavior like run into the middle of a firefight to activate it. Some people clean house with the Dead Ringer, but I completely suck at it.

The DR and YER seems to completely change the playstyle of the class. Im not a huge fan either. The standard dagger and the movement focused cloak is what I use.

I love YER's ability to keep you disguised after a stab especially for engineers and sentries. I cant even begin to explain how hard it is to sap then stab a paranoid engineer turtling near his sentry and dispenser with a retarded Pyro running about holding W and mouse 1. I have seemingly been one shot by engineers merely hitting me once with their wrench. (I keep assuming that maybe I was at half health and just didn't realize it, but I dunno....)

YER would be amazing but it completely removes the ability to use a disguise, I mean christ...I'd rather the thing slow me to the movement speed of a heavy and just allow me to keep my current disguise instead of the silent kill 'take your enemies place' bonus with the huge drawback of losing a staple ability of the class. But hell maybe that's just part of the balance. Ive gotten relatively good with the spy now, I was hell bent on learning it, but after going back to play the soldier more, it doesn't even seem worth it playing the spy tbh.

I haven't been on TF2 for a while and have never been good at it but I may want to play with some of you guys. I'll join the NeoGAF TF2 group on Steam.

What is the server address? And is there anything you should tell me before I start playing in a minute.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Cipherr said:
The DR and YER seems to completely change the playstyle of the class. Im not a huge fan either. The standard dagger and the movement focused cloak is what I use.

I love YER's ability to keep you disguised after a stab especially for engineers and sentries. I cant even begin to explain how hard it is to sap then stab a paranoid engineer turtling near his sentry and dispenser with a retarded Pyro running about holding W and mouse 1. I have seemingly been one shot by engineers merely hitting me once with their wrench. (I keep assuming that maybe I was at half health and just didn't realize it, but I dunno....)

YER would be amazing but it completely removes the ability to use a disguise, I mean christ...I'd rather the thing slow me to the movement speed of a heavy and just allow me to keep my current disguise instead of the silent kill 'take your enemies place' bonus with the huge drawback of losing a staple ability of the class. But hell maybe that's just part of the balance. Ive gotten relatively good with the spy now, I was hell bent on learning it, but after going back to play the soldier more, it doesn't even seem worth it playing the spy tbh.
I find about the only time I can get a lone engineer and his sentry nest without YER is when he has a teleporter just out of view from the sentry. Sap it, cloak, run back a bit into an empty spot, wait till he walks over, uncloak, stab, then sap everything.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Cipherr said:

Just time your stab when the sentry is focused on someone else. It's not hard to stan and sap if the sentry is facing the other direction. :lol at complaining about pyro doing his job.

Blizzard

Banned
Cipherr said:
If a pyro is running around shooting flames near an engineer nest, then they're being a smart, helpful pyro, not a retarded one. Try playing with pyros who don't seem to spycheck. As for holding W, what button do you hold to run? I think W makes most classes run forwards, so I tend to hold it when I'm running. :p

Melee weapons do crits more often if the player has done damage recently. Or in the medic's case, if they have healed recently. Or in the engineer's case, if the sentry has done damage recently, I believe. Plus I think melee weapons may have a higher crit rate than normal. So at any rate, you have a decent chance of either getting critwrench'd or hit by the bleed-effect wrench if the engineer notices you.

If the engineer has a teleporter, try to sap and then telefrag him (will probably only work if he's careless/stupid). If they're not in a corner, but are close to the gun, you can stab and sap without even needing the eternal reward. If they're in a corner, having the eternal reward doesn't help you too much since you have to get behind them to stab to begin with.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh god I hate it when they hid in the conner, at best you may be able to take their teleporter and catch them off guard, but even then they still have to be in a spot that allows them to even be stabbed.

Oh, anther thing a spy can do, since he can now sees enemy HP at all time, is shoot a sentry gun from long range, especially if it is damaged. I don't think falloff is calculated when it comes to building damage. It is also causes so much rage when just as an engineer is about knock the sapper off to shoot the gun a few time and hopefully finish it off before he can repair it. (While you can do it from the start, he may not be able to tell who the spy is at a glance and tends to worry more about the level 3 sentry gun)

Forkball

Drkirby said:
Oh, anther thing a spy can do, since he can now sees enemy HP at all time, is shoot a sentry gun from long range, especially if it is damaged. I don't think falloff is calculated when it comes to building damage. It is also causes so much rage when just as an engineer is about knock the sapper off to shoot the gun a few time and hopefully finish it off before he can repair it. (While you can do it from the start, he may not be able to tell who the spy is at a glance and tends to worry more about the level 3 sentry gun)
One time I was an engy on Upward and I was trying to build inside the base at the last point. As I was building a level one sentry, a shot comes out of nowhere and blows it up. I look around and don't notice anything. I try to build again, but bam, another shot takes out the sentry before it's ready. I figure it has to be a Spy with an Ambassador, but I could not figure out where the hell the shot was coming from. I told everyone that a Spy was in the base but either they suck at spychecking or didn't even bother. On my third try, he does it AGAIN and I finally see him and chase after him. I couldn't find him, and by the time I set up my sentry we lost. He could have easily killed me at any point with the Ambassador, but he wanted to be an annoying dick aka a good Spy.

And yeah, taking out sentries and nests without a disguise can be a huge hassle. But if you do get a disguise with the YER, you can cause a hell of a lot of damage. One time on Gorge, I was on the attacking team, and they couldn't get past this stupid sentry in the little area on the right. Well I sneak in as a Spy, kill a Sniper with YER, and use my Sniper disguise to backstab the Engy and sap all his stuff. Seconds later, my team rushes in and easily takes the map. Backstabbing an Engy in his nest with zero retaliation thanks to the quick disguise is one of the coolest things you can do as a Spy.

Loam

As someone who primarily plays spy nothing makes me grind my teeth harder than a Pyro wielding a homewrecker. With enough patience and a bit of luck getting into an Engineer's fort isn't really all that difficult. Even a good defense Pyro eventually leaves an opening from simply spy checking people who pass by, and if an Engineer has backed themselves into a corner theres almost always a building nearby you can jump off of to get on top of them for the stab. What drives me crazy is going through this entire process and having all of your work instantly rendered moot by the defending Pyro. If you run away their just going to knock your sappers off no sweat, and fighting one of them at close range is always a free death.

I know the Pyro is supposed to be the anti-spy class, but destroying sappers in one hit? So aggravating.

Proven

Wren said:
As someone who primarily plays spy nothing makes me grind my teeth harder than a Pyro wielding a homewrecker. With enough patience and a bit of luck getting into an Engineer's fort isn't really all that difficult. Even a good defense Pyro eventually leaves an opening from simply spy checking people who pass by, and if an Engineer has backed themselves into a corner theres almost always a building nearby you can jump off of to get on top of them for the stab. What drives me crazy is going through this entire process and having all of your work instantly rendered moot by the defending Pyro. If you run away their just going to knock your sappers off no sweat, and fighting one of them at close range is always a free death.

I know the Pyro is supposed to be the anti-spy class, but destroying sappers in one hit? So aggravating.

He can't heal the buildings though, so I've found that even if a Pyro comes and wrecks the Sapper, the opposing team can come in and easily finish off the half health sentry.

And honestly, the Pyro is gimping himself to counter a specific class. He's so melee focused nowadays that not having the Axtinguisher, Powerjack, or Backscratcher really weakens your dps and ambush capability.

Wren said:

It's the trade-off they make for carrying the Homewrecker. There's nothing more frustrating that lighting up a Heavy, charging over to Axtinguish him, and realizing you forgot to change your loadout and all you did was give him a light tap on the shoulder.

Yasae

Banned
Chinner said:
i'm not sure if you're being patronizing, i think you are. i'm not pulling that out of thing air, someone SA detailed it and many of the weapons released since the launch of TF2 have no LOD.
Why would anyone forget basic production techniques such as these, though? It doesn't add up.

Blizzard

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Isn't it cheaper just to buy one?
Maybe it's the same reason that I refuse to buy a rocket jumper or sticky jumper. I am stubborn and stupid and treat it as a silly game to try to get/trade for the item instead of buying it for $0.50. I need to calculate up how many items you need for the 33% crafting chance for each one...I feel like it's a pretty silly number of them, especially since you need soldier/demo specific items to make the token.

rar

Twig said:
I don't really know, 'cause while I once liked F7, there was a point at which their admins or community or whatever just seemed to turn into a bunch of dicks and I stopped going to that server.

AFAIK, there was some sort of shit that went down and the community split so that a bunch of old F7 members started their own little thing, GG.

f7 died the day they banned me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Blizzard said:
Maybe it's the same reason that I refuse to buy a rocket jumper or sticky jumper. I am stubborn and stupid and treat it as a silly game to try to get/trade for the item instead of buying it for $0.50. I need to calculate up how many items you need for the 33% crafting chance for each one...I feel like it's a pretty silly number of them, especially since you need soldier/demo specific items to make the token.
I meant buying it with refined from someone else through trading ;)

I'd like to buy a sticky jumper and rocket jumper eventually.

After I finally find some damn way to acquire the Mad Milk :mad:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Blizzard said:
It is pretty easy to craft, I'll break it down.

For Rocket Jumper, you need a Solder Token, a Primary Slot Token, and a Scrap Metal. This is 3 Solder Weapons, 3 Primary Slot Weapons, and 2 weapons of the same class, for a total of 8 Weapons.

For Sticky Jumper, you need a Demo Token, a Primary Slot Token, and a Scrap Metal. This is 3 Demo Weapons, 3 Primary Slot Weapons, and 2 weapons of the same class, for a total of 8 Weapons.

Note that both have a 1/3 change. You may get lucky and get it on your first shot, you may have to do it 10 times over if the Random Number Generator hates you. I got the Sticky Jumper my first time (And bought a Rocket Jumper for $.49 to get a Mann. Co Cap)

One thing to note though, you can Rebuild Class and Slot tokens, so if you are up to it check some TF2 trading sites and see if anyone is trying to get rid of a token they made by mistake. If you can get a trade done quickly and effortlessly, it should save some effort. I rebuilt the old Medic Slot Token I got from Twig 3 months ago to make my Sticky Jumper.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the info. I will see what I can do.

*edit* Someone just gave me gift-wrapped sticky and rocket jumpers, right as I was about to try to craft.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Thanks for the info. I will see what I can do.

*edit* Someone just gave me gift-wrapped sticky and rocket jumpers, right as I was about to try to craft.
Did you refuse them like you refused The Longest Journey I tried to gift you? >:[

Yeef

Anyone have a spare Loch n Load? I realize it's pretty awful (to the point that I'd forgotten it exists), but it's the only 'real' weapon I don't have (I'm also missing the sticky jumper, but that's not a real weapon).

AcciDante said:
So, is TF2 gaf server dead now that everyone is playing BC2? Forever alone.
I noticed Blizzard on TF2 tonight, so I hopped on the GAF server and invited him, hoping he'd make an event to draw people in, but instead he quit and started playing BC2... So instead I just ran around Nucleus by myself. Forever alone indeed.

Blizzard

Banned
cooljeanius said:
I noticed Blizzard on TF2 tonight, so I hopped on the GAF server and invited him, hoping he'd make an event to draw people in, but instead he quit and started playing BC2... So instead I just ran around Nucleus by myself. Forever alone indeed.
I was mostly just logging on to try to craft the rocket jumper. You sent me a game invite but did not ask me to send an event to start the server. I pretty much always make group events when people ask me, so just let me know if you want one sent.

Blizzard said:
I was mostly just logging on to try to craft the rocket jumper. You sent me a game invite but did not ask me to send an event to start the server. I pretty much always make group events when people ask me, so just let me know if you want one sent.
Right, I was planning on asking you that once you joined the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom