• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

A lot of people are still playing through their backlogs from the Steam Christmas sale. The GAF server was pretty busy earlier last week though, but it seems like the server has been dead this weekend. Plus school is starting soon so a lot of people are getting ready for that. Except me, who has not prepared for the new semester whatsoever.

Blizzard said:
It was a decent game for like $7. :p
Decent? Checking your Steam profile, you've played the game for 50 hours in only two weeks. AND YOU'RE IN THE GAME RIGHT NOW.

Oreoleo

Yeef said:
Nope. He's just been waiting that long to find a game where his ping is under 200; am i rite? lol

Nah dude ping isn't an issue, we play with like 8-10 people sometimes, like two thirds of a team. When you do well together the game is fun as fuck to play. Sorry you seem to have such a personal vendetta against it.

Yeef

Orellio said:
Nah dude ping isn't an issue, we play with like 8-10 people sometimes, like two thirds of a team. When you do well together the game is fun as fuck to play. Sorry you seem to have such a personal vendetta against it.
Ping is certainly an issue. I know from first hand experience. I've played a bunch of times with the rest of GAF on Mumble and it'd take forever to find a server where no one got booted for having over 300 ping. Even in games where we could all stay connected everyone had 200+ ping and looking at the scoreboard the same was true for everyone else on the server.

Anyway, that's not important. I actually played the multiplayer demo a ton back when it was first released and loved the game, but coming back to it after so long I can't get into it at all. There's a lot of basic design principles in the game that I feel are handled poorly that I overlooked and/or didn't care about back during the demo that really stick out for me nowadays.

IceMarker

Yeef said:
Nope. He's just been waiting that long to find a game where his ping is under 200; am i rite? lol
For some reason the server browser in TF2 and BC2 are the only games where I get under 30 ping in some servers closest to me. I'm use to getting like 60-90 ping in Seattle and California servers in games like Black Ops.

Nabs

latency hasn't been an issue for me. i regularly play with folks in the UK and they seem to do fine. also, don't believe the numbers on the scoreboard. it's not your ping. i don't know what dice was thinking, but that's dice being dice.

Yasae

Banned
Nabs said:
latency hasn't been an issue for me. i regularly play with folks in the UK and they seem to do fine. also, don't believe the numbers on the scoreboard. it's not your ping. i don't know what dice was thinking, but that's dice being dice.
I can't even get under 100ms on servers in Dallas. I don't know what it is with BC2, but shit the pings are high, yet almost any TF2 server in-state I could probably get away with 40ms or lower.

It's not like it's going matter with Battlefield's clumsy hit detection anyway. Thankfully I lowered my expectations on this issue as far as they'll go and am enjoying it so far. Once again, I can outscore everyone in the game as a medic with a 0:15 ratio.

Chinner

Banned
i wonder when the new set of crates are out? waiting for the scotch bonnet to be included so it becomes so it goes down in price; its at something crazy like 7 refined.

Chinner said:
i wonder when the new set of crates are out? waiting for the scotch bonnet to be included so it becomes so it goes down in price; its at something crazy like 7 refined.

They should put Earbuds in them as a common drop to completely screw with the trade economy.

Proven

enzo_gt said:
I meant buying it with refined from someone else through trading ;)

I'd like to buy a sticky jumper and rocket jumper eventually.

After I finally find some damn way to acquire the Mad Milk :mad:

Dude, Jarate + Reclaimed Metal. Just get two Scraps, make that Reclaimed, and everybody should have an extra jar of piss laying around.

Three scraps for reclaimed.

Also, a bunch of people should already have Mad Milk by now. It won't be difficult to find someone with a spare who'd trade it for any other regular weapon.

Forkball

Yeah, why do so many people want Mad Milk? To make the Milkman hat?

Also they should never have made the earbuds tradeable. You're not using a Mac, you're not using a Mac at all!

Proven

Forkball said:

Also they should never have made the earbuds tradeable. You're not using a Mac, you're not using a Mac at all!

The thing is, you can use any of the Milkman weapons to make the hat, so you might as well just depend on random drops as you scratch up the metal for the 4 Refined.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Forkball said:

In my experience, I have never had Mad Milk drop in 3 months, while getting every other PolyCount Weapon, and it sounds like others have similar experiences.

Forkball

Drkirby said:
In my experience, I have never had Mad Milk drop in 3 months, while getting every other PolyCount Weapon, and it sounds like others have similar experiences.
Odd. I got a Mad Milk as a drop near the Polycount update, I guess I was lucky. I never got the Sydney Sleeper, Shortstop, or Your Eternal Reward as drops though. And somehow I don't even have a Crit-A-Cola, it's the only weapon introduced before the Mannconomy update that I don't have.

Blizzard

Banned
Forkball said:
Odd. I got a Mad Milk as a drop near the Polycount update, I guess I was lucky. I never got the Sydney Sleeper, Shortstop, or Your Eternal Reward as drops though. And somehow I don't even have a Crit-A-Cola, it's the only weapon introduced before the Mannconomy update that I don't have.
It took me ages to get an extra bonk drink (and thus a crit-a-cola), and I don't know that I ever got a mad milk drop either. I suspect I crafted it instead.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Forkball said:

Someone else needs it besides me?

It's just the last weapon I need.

Yasae

Banned
MrMister said:
The server browser in BC2 is normally 100 ping under whatever it says on the scoreboard in-game.
So that means you can NEVER play a game under 100ms. It hasn't really been a huge deal since everyone's ping is pretty high. Admins with 0ms have a little bit of an edge, though.

I randomly found
DaishoChikara
in a game last night. I would've helped him more if I wasn't so busy outscoring everybody on the server... And we were getting spawn-killed for 20 minutes every map. I realized a long time ago that good players never use excuses ("Push out from your spawn," "Fight back" etc.) to justify their exploitation. At the very least, they admit it.

So anyone who continually kills spawns and is defensive about it can never be a good player. Can the system be abused? Of course it can. That's why there are admins, server rules, bans, mutes, etc. No game regulates itself. I'm not shocked there are (mostly terrible) players who defend shooting fish in a barrel and take the easiest road possible when it's handed to them, but if you want to know why I don't like the MW/Battlefield/Macho Man community, this is it.

Forkball said:

I agree with this. I'm tired of people asking for mine when I'm not ever going to trade them anyway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
cooljeanius said:
I agree with this. I'm tired of people asking for mine when I'm not ever going to trade them anyway.
You know what's worst?

When someone tries to buy my unusual with the specific intent of lowballing so they can be a merchant and sell it for a higher price.

I was trading with the dude for his mad milk. Candy Cane/Jag for his Mad Milk. Done and done right? Then he started making offers for my unusual after repeatedly telling him I'm not interested in selling it, unless you give me an insane price. Long story short, I told him I wasn't going to do the deal. "But hey can I still get that mad milk?"

"hahahah your not gonna trade with me so I wont trade with you either hahahahaah"

:|

Actually, come to think of it, I haven't really had to deal with those since I changed "accept trade requests" to "only from friends", so never mind. Disregard my previous post.

Proven

cooljeanius said:
Actually, come to think of it, I haven't really had to deal with those since I changed "accept trade requests" to "only from friends", so never mind. Disregard my previous post.

I got asked for my earbuds last week. Now I find out how much of a thing it's become. Thanks for letting me know this option exists.

Twig

Banned
It would be amazing if Valve just periodically fucked up the TF2 trading market. I mean, they already sort of did it with the shop, but the fact that you can't trade purchased items makes it not a big deal.

I'd like to see earbuds made a common drop, too.

Yeef

Hah. It' dbe great if they made the headphones and max's head craftable with some simple recipe like Dead Ringer + Scrap or something.

Yeef said:
Hah. It' dbe great if they made the headphones and max's head craftable with some simple recipe like Dead Ringer + Scrap or something.

Batter's Helm + 2 Sandmans (Sandmen?)

The chaos that would erupt. Especially if Valve didn't change the existing ones to "Vintage" like they did the Lugermorphs.

Yeef

CryptiK said:
I want to trade my Bills hat for earbuds is it worth it? which is worth more?
Personally, I think Bill's Hat is better than Earbuds, but the buds are probably worth more for selling/trading.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
20+ weeks of drops, my god.

Then again, what else are you going to do with all those Bats and Fish you find? Really, I am already over the whole TF2 trading ecconmey, I got a few hats I like, I have enough metal to get more things I would want, I'm good.

Javaman

Yasae said:
So that means you can NEVER play a game under 100ms. It hasn't really been a huge deal since everyone's ping is pretty high. Admins with 0ms have a little bit of an edge, though.

I randomly found
DaishoChikara
in a game last night. I would've helped him more if I wasn't so busy outscoring everybody on the server... And we were getting spawn-killed for 20 minutes every map. I realized a long time ago that good players never use excuses ("Push out from your spawn," "Fight back" etc.) to justify their exploitation. At the very least, they admit it.

So anyone who continually kills spawns and is defensive about it can never be a good player. Can the system be abused? Of course it can. That's why there are admins, server rules, bans, mutes, etc. No game regulates itself. I'm not shocked there are (mostly terrible) players who defend shooting fish in a barrel and take the easiest road possible when it's handed to them, but if you want to know why I don't like the MW/Battlefield/Macho Man community, this is it.
Part of the failure is due to the idiotic reward system in bfbc2 and MW that rewards people for slaughtering the other team. It makes it much less likely for people to jump to the losing team to balance things out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh yes, I hate that reward system. I know it is supposed to be a positive feedback loop for current players, it leads to a negitve feedback loop for new ones. Can't kill any one/stay alive due to being out skilled and out-upgraded, don't get any points. Don't get any points, can't upgrade, can't get more points. The fact that you don even start with the basic support utilities is a damn joke. I have to unlock the Health Pack as a Medic in BC2? What the hell.

Wait, this is the TF2 topic.

How about them Crates!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Javaman said:
Part of the failure is due to the idiotic reward system in bfbc2 and MW that rewards people for slaughtering the other team. It makes it much less likely for people to jump to the losing team to balance things out.
Dude.. I never noticed this. TF2 is the only game where I find fun in switching to the losing team, especially if their at a player disadvantage.

Also, I just want 1 hat for each of my classes and I'm fine. Anything after that is greediness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom