• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone brought this up at SPUF

Sun on a Stick would have been a pretty cool melee weapon for Pyro in Medieval mode if they had given it an effect. People want Pyro to get a pyromancer's staff, and the Sun on a Stick is one. It could have caused afterburn on impact or something.

Sadly, they threw that concept out and made it a promotional item for Scout, a class fire weapons don't even fit with.

Clydefrog

It'd be cool if they made the sun on a stick able to leave a trail of fire/lava. The scout could use it to create little fire pits that last for like 5 seconds.

Or even 'fire shoes' for scout that, when activated, leave a trail of flames that hurt others.

But then again, yeah, why should the scout have any fire abilities to begin with... that's pyro stuff.

Forkball

Update:

Added Rift promotional items
New items: Sun-On-A-Stick and Sharpened Volcano Fragment.
New achievement: Riftwalker

Updated several more models with optimizations and new LODs.
Fixed seeing a partial health bar in the upper left corner of the spectator menu.
Fixed the control point progress bar not being aligned properly when using cl_hud_minmode 1.
Fixed the The Essential Accessories hiding the Scout's hat/headphones.
Updated sounds for the Brass Beast.
Updated the Scottish Resistance stickybombs to always glow if they will be detonated by a right-click, including the stickybombs under the Demoman's feet.
Changed default crosshair to be more opaque, like the custom crosshairs.
Fixed some missing surfaces on the bottom of the Pyro's mask.
Fixed the assister's name not being listed in the Fish humiliation and kill notices.
Fixed the Force-a-Nature not drawing correctly in the character loadout screen.
Engineers who hit teammate's sentry guns with their wrench now get kill assists from that sentry.
Made the Jag gift wrappable.
Fixed seeing a badge on the player when a noisemaker is equipped.
Fixed particle effects on the Hustler's Hallmark.
Added FCVAR_DONTRECORD flags to 'bind,' 'bind_mac,' 'unbind,' 'unbind_mac,' and 'unbindall' so they can't be recorded into a demo (fixes having your keys changed when you watch a demo).
Updated Cp_Granary
Added a new entrance to the mid Red/Blue ramp rooms.

Clipping, lighting and perf improvements.
Tournament mode HUD fixes
Fixed seeing an empty alert tray under the stopwatch timer.
Fixed a bug where the time for the tournament mode stopwatch wasn't being displayed.
Fixed the countdown when both teams are ready always reading "0 seconds"

I was hoping for a new map, but who needs that when you have MMO items?!

New achievement, it's a General achievement for anybody:

Riftwalker
Kill an enemy within 5 seconds of you traveling through an Engineer's teleporter.

It's the Heavy's "Five Second Plan", just as a general version. Literally the same thing.

Clydefrog

Surely this is all part of some upcoming April Fool's update...

"HA! You bought Rift! April Fool's! You don't get those ugly items after all :) Here's a really cool hat"

Wait a minute, the items do apparently have new stats?

Sharpened Volcano Fragment
Level 10 RIFT Fire Axe
On Hit: target is engulfed in flames
-20% damage done
Improves upon Mother Nature's original design for volcanos by increasing their portability. Modern science is unable to explain exactly where the lava is coming from.

The Sun on a Stick has some other function too, something about 45% more damage I'm looking up.

Forkball

Wow, the items have unique stats and aren't reskins.

Sharpened Volcano Fragment: On hit: Target engulfed in flames, -20% damage done
Sun-On-A-Stick: +35% damage done, -45% for non-burning players

So now we have exclusive, non-cosmetic items that you have to pay for. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Blizzard

Banned
The engineer thing is probably a great idea.

Forkball said:

So now we have exclusive, non-cosmetic items that you have to pay for. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
<Vader> MOST IMPRESSIVE. </Vader>

Forkball

TF2 blog just updated. The Riftwalker achievement gives you a code that you can redeem for a hat... that you wear in Rift. Also the new weapons will be craftable after this promotion ends, so you don't have to pay a dime for them come March 1st.

So Valve didn't do something terribly evil, just kinda shitty.

Forkball said:
TF2 blog just updated. The Riftwalker achievement gives you a code that you can redeem for a hat... that you wear in Rift. Also the new weapons will be craftable after this promotion ends, so you don't have to pay a dime for them come March 1st.

So Valve didn't do something terribly evil, just kinda shitty.
Crisis adverted, all is well. New LoD updates are great for everyone, even if I won't really benefit from it.

corn_fest

Forkball said:
Also the new weapons will be craftable after this promotion ends, so you don't have to pay a dime for them come March 1st.
5 Refined + Boston Basher or Axetinguisher or something similarly ridiculous, no doubt. And what are the chances the weapons obtained during the promotion will be vintage? Edit: Just checked the wiki, and purchased Rift items will be "Genuine". Lol, in-game economy. Doesn't change the fact that these weapons are the biggest step away from the original 50's spytech theme to date. In fact, I would argue that all the weapons up until now are at least somewhat reasonable (Candy Cane being the only exception), but these match nothing in the game's art style at all. The fact that they are even more +xx%, -xx melee weapons is icing on the cake. None of the new weapons have actually had original, game-changing features like those in the original class updates (Eyelander, Huntsman, Sandvich). They're just slightly differing buffs/debuffs MMO bullshit.

Proven

I don't know, I must be the only one in the world who doesn't mind the style clash. I watch a ton of anime, and style mixing used to get on my nerves, but when done well it works out really well. TF2 still hasn't hit a point where the items don't match its style to me. That said, I still need to see the Rift items in game first, but from just picture on the TF2 blog I don't hate it.

Going forward, Genuine items might be a great way to do promotional items.

Imagine if they made all of Max's Head genuine, but then added them to the drop system. It would reduce the ridiculous inflation, and allow more users, or new users, to enjoy all the items more.

Proven said:
I don't know, I must be the only one in the world who doesn't mind the style clash. I watch a ton of anime, and style mixing used to get on my nerves, but when done well it works out really well. TF2 still hasn't hit a point where the items don't match its style to me. That said, I still need to see the Rift items in game first, but from just picture on the TF2 blog I don't hate it.
The new pyro axe fits the style just fine, and looks really awesome. It fits better than gardening tools.

The scout's weapon is terrible looking and doesn't fit at all.

Kill icons
Killicon_sharpened_volcano_fragment.png

Killicon_sun-on-a-stick.png

bug time!

- Afterburn from the Volcano Fragment uses your currently equipped flamethrower kill icon
- Afterburn from the new axe NEVER goes away unless you enter water or are hit by Jarate. HEALING DOES NOT GET RID OF IT. Causes afterburn on Pyros also.

Yeef

balladofwindfishes said:
- Afterburn from the new axe NEVER goes away unless you enter water or are hit by Jarate. HEALING DOES NOT GET RID OF IT. Causes afterburn on Pyros also.
That is a 'bug' like Sydney sleeper penetration. It's too bad this time I won't get to use it before it's patched out. :(

Personally, I think the new weapons look cool, but I agree they don't even remotely fit the TF2 style.

Yeef said:
That is a 'bug' like Sydney sleeper penetration. It's too bad this time I won't get to use it before it's patched out. :(

Personally, I think the new weapons look cool, but I agree they don't even remotely fit the TF2 style.
The axe fits the style pretty well in my opinion

The sun stick is trash, and pretty non-fitting, but overly not the worst looking item in the game. They're detailed and the textures are really nice.

Yeef

The new LOD has increased my frame rate even further. It's about 70% higher than before (after the last patch doubled it). It's great.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Forkball said:

No, its time exclusive

The Sharpened Volcano Fragment and the Sun-on-a-Stick will be obtainable through crafting after the Rift pre-order period ends.

So by buying the game, you get the items one to two months early, and they will likely be vintage.

Yeef

CryptiK said:
So wait after a month it cant be used?
Pre-order the game - get the weapons free, right now.

Don't pre-order the game - A patch will make the weapons craftable when the game is released.

Non-crafted weapons will have the "Genuine" tag unless they've been traded.

Forkball

Drkirby said:
No, its time exclusive

So by buying the game, you get the items one to two months early, and they will likely be vintage.
Yeah the post you quoted was before they revealed this, I made another post detailing this info.

And the Genuine tag getting removed after it being traded = Valve trolling. Although you would think this is counterproductive, since there are people who would buy Rift just to have the Genuine items to trade away. Maybe now they won't, so it's a loss of sales for Rift.

Also, a real life Medigun.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So I take it Sun-On-A-Stick will rarely get used, while Sharpened Volcano Fragment should get some use in Medieval mode. Over all, both on paper don't seem that great.

Drkirby said:
So I take it Sun-On-A-Stick will rarely get used, while Sharpened Volcano Fragment should get some use in Medieval mode. Over all, both on paper don't seem that great.
On paper, the Volcano Fragment doesn't have uncurable forever fire xP

Right now it's super OP to just go swinging it around a crowd. In medieval mode Mad Milk is the only way in the entire game to get rid of it.

Yeef

I think tonight I'll try the custom map thing again on the server. I'll post an announcement when I get home from work. cp_broma interests me the most because it's a gravelpit-style attack/defend map. There are not enough of those.

I'll post an announcement when it's time. Probably around 10ish EST.

Proven

balladofwindfishes said:
On paper, the Volcano Fragment doesn't have uncurable forever fire xP

Right now it's super OP to just go swinging it around a crowd. In medieval mode Mad Milk is the only way in the entire game to get rid of it.

Wait, Jarate isn't allowed in medieval mode?

Yeef said:
I think tonight I'll try the custom map thing again on the server. I'll post an announcement when I get home from work. cp_broma interests me the most because it's a gravelpit-style attack/defend map. There are not enough of those.

I'll post an announcement when it's time. Probably around 10ish EST.
Hmm... friend's birthday party, or GAF server TF2 custom map night? I can't decide!
Proven said:
Wait, Jarate isn't allowed in medieval mode?
I know, it doesn't make any sense...

Proven

cooljeanius said:
I know, it doesn't make any sense...

It's probably because Saxton Hale wasn't born yet to invent it. Assuming that in the TF2-universe, the Polycount weapons really were made by people not from Mann Co, and they're just selling the stuff anyway.

Yeef

The jarate is just the piss jars the sniper uses while camping with his rifle. Since he has no rifle he has no reason to camp and therefore has no piss reserves!

You should be able to use the rift ticket to get one of the new items

So if you don't own Rift, you don't just have a wasted item slot, and if you do buy rift in the future, oh well, your loss.

Axtinguisher + Rift Ticket = Lava Piece
Boston Basher + Rift Ticket = Sun on a Stick

After March 1st, those recipes still work, but you can also use a refined instead to get the item you're missing.

Yeef

Refined? I don't like the recipe inflation.

First community items had their own recipes that were just two specific weapons.

Then with the Mann co. stuff it was 1 weapon + 1 reclaimed.

Then with the Christmas update it was 1 weapon + 2 reclaimed.

Now it's 1 weapon + 1 refined.

By next year all new weapons will take 5 hats to craft.

On the plus side, I may be able to snag a rift ticket and get that axe while it's still broken.

Twig

Banned
Yeef said:
Refined? I don't like the recipe inflation.

First community items had their own recipes that were just two specific weapons.

Then with the Mann co. stuff it was 1 weapon + 1 reclaimed.

Then with the Christmas update it was 1 weapon + 2 reclaimed.

Now it's 1 weapon + 1 refined.

By next year all new weapons will take 5 hats to craft.

On the plus side, I may be able to snag a rift ticket and get that axe while it's still broken.
They want people to buy the weapons, clearly.

Ceebs

I had to give up on the custom maps. I am downloading stuff at like 50k a second. Is there a list of which ones are installed on the server so I can just grab them when my internet is not being stupid?

Ceebs

BloodySinner said:
Did anyone who did NOT pre-order RIFT get a ticket unlock code for a TF2 hat? I did.
Everyone gets one for doing the Riftwalker achievement.

Also, thanks for the link Yeef downloading them now.

For the first time since Valve has started doing TF2 promotional items, the game that the promotion is for is not on the top 10 sellers list.

Failed promotion I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom