• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-scout-2007-2011.jpg

A bit inaccurate since you can't paint the MNC shoes... YET.

Twig

Banned
It's a joke, GUYS. C'MON.

I smiled. Maybe even chuckled a little bit on the inside. But the demoman one was better.

Dibbz

Quick question.

When I run in DX8 by putting -dxlevel 81 in the launch properties, the video settings still displays the software as 9.0 but the hardware as 8.1

When in DX9 is shows both hardware and software as 9.0

Is that normal?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ugh, that just reminds me how much I despise Max's Severed Head. The replacement pistols are a-ok, but that hat seems like it started a baaaad trend.

Proven

Twig said:
It's a joke, GUYS. C'MON.

I smiled. Maybe even chuckled a little bit on the inside. But the demoman one was better.
This. Exactly this.

Also, sorry for missing custom night on the server yesterday. I was so close to being able to make it but main computer was needed for something else.

I got a promotion code for a RIFT Well Spun Hat, I redeemed but haven't gotten anything. I guess it's when RIFT comes out? And I also got invited for the BETA when I redeemed it.

Edit: Oh. I read the wiki and the hat is for RIFT not TF2. Oh well.

Oreoleo

jaundicejuice said:
Because they fail at spy checking. They should have been trying to stab you with an uber saw instead.

I get so annoyed with some of the bullshit spies pull off, being able to get a backstab off just running around like an idiot and getting the smallest of windows on me for the kill, that as a medic, there's no way I'm getting within melee range to spycheck if I can help it. It's just too risky. The +3's from the Blutsauger are good enough for me. People don't give that weapon enough credit cause too many "lol battle medics" are shit at engaging combat properly.

Sofo

Yesterday I crafted my own Familiar Fez. Damn, it's so silent it made me try the Dead Ringer (never been a fan of it before) and even if I was rusty due to having had finals and such, I must say this set kicks ass!

Yasae

Banned
Dibbz said:
Quick question.

When I run in DX8 by putting -dxlevel 81 in the launch properties, the video settings still displays the software as 9.0 but the hardware as 8.1

When in DX9 is shows both hardware and software as 9.0

Is that normal?
That's exactly how it should be.

Orellio said:
I get so annoyed with some of the bullshit spies pull off, being able to get a backstab off just running around like an idiot and getting the smallest of windows on me for the kill, that as a medic, there's no way I'm getting within melee range to spycheck if I can help it. It's just too risky. The +3's from the Blutsauger are good enough for me. People don't give that weapon enough credit cause too many "lol battle medics" are shit at engaging combat properly.

Spies are like free Uber charge man. Plus it's way more effective to use your Uber Saw, the Needle Gun/Blutsager takes forever to kill anything, even when they crit. The only thing the Needle Gun/Blutsager are good for is back-peddling and shooting a pyro that's dumb enough to press m1+w with a flamethrower straight at you. I don't even do the bump test anymore, I just hit q and stab everyone that comes near me. If it connects, hit 'em again, dead spy and you're that much closer to a Kritzkrieg or Uber.

Plus bad spies are obvious. Here's a Pyro not blasting flame like a retard and he's gunning right for me and the [insert class name here] I'm healing, hmmmmmmm. *STABS WITH UBER SAW*

The_Technomancer said:
Sounds like a bot issue. If its literally non-stop needle streams then yeah, its bots.

They really don't have to be bots for this behaviour to occur. Sadly.

Sofo said:
Yesterday I crafted my own Familiar Fez. Damn, it's so silent it made me try the Dead Ringer (never been a fan of it before) and even if I was rusty due to having had finals and such, I must say this set kicks ass!

This was me this evening. I was going to try and go for the Scout hat but I'm still missing the Holy Mackerel and had a spare L'Etranger, I figured I'd make the Familiar Fez. WOW. It's a pretty awesome set, with any of the watches. I tried the original on offense and the CLoak n' Dagger on defense on Thunder Mountain, loved it. But when I tried the Dead Ringer on the following map, which I don't use much either, and I was blown away. I didn't switch the watch after that.

It's a bit weird at first, you can't disguise or cloak yourself at will, so you're trying to hide in plain sight. Plus using the Saharan Spy set with the Dead Ringer is weirdly like using the original watch, you have to be mindful of your charge level and where the nearest metal spawn is. The blink time from de-cloaking is a bit of an adjustment, but man, the fact that the set renders the Dead Ringer damned near silent...it's awesome. I've de-cloaked with a Dead Ringer right next to people and they didn't hear me. It's kind of hard at times getting that first kill/disguise, but once you do, it's so easy to go on a tear. I had a medic heal me as I killed five of his teammates in a row in cp_freight .

I haven't had this much fun playing Spy, or TF2 for that matter, in a good long while.

Yasae

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
This was me this evening. I was going to try and go for the Scout hat but I'm still missing the Holy Mackerel and had a spare L'Etranger, I figured I'd make the Familiar Fez. WOW. It's a pretty awesome set, with any of the watches. I tried the original on offense and the CLoak n' Dagger on defense on Thunder Mountain, loved it. But when I tried the Dead Ringer on the following map, which I don't use much either, and I was blown away. I didn't switch the watch after that.

It's a bit weird at first, you can't disguise or cloak yourself at will, so you're trying to hide in plain sight. Plus using the Saharan Spy set with the Dead Ringer is weirdly like using the original watch, you have to be mindful of your charge level and where the nearest metal spawn is. The blink time from de-cloaking is a bit of an adjustment, but man, the fact that the set renders the Dead Ringer damned near silent...it's awesome. I've de-cloaked with a Dead Ringer right next to people and they didn't hear me. It's kind of hard at times getting that first kill/disguise, but once you do, it's so easy to go on a tear. I had a medic heal me as I killed five of his teammates in a row in cp_freight .

I haven't had this much fun playing Spy, or TF2 for that matter, in a good long while.
Yeah, and the default watch or C&D are already silent without the set. C&D is a bit OP if you can just camp in a corner and no one can hear you decloak. The Eternal Reward drastically reduces decloak noise for any watch, and initially having no disguises isn't enough of a downside for the cloak-at-will watches.

Proven

Yasae said:
Yeah, and the default watch or C&D are already silent without the set. C&D is a bit OP if you can just camp in a corner and no one can hear you decloak. The Eternal Reward drastically reduces decloak noise for any watch, and initially having no disguises isn't enough of a downside for the cloak-at-will watches.

The default and and C&D watches aren't silent. If a Spy is within 10 feet of you and its completely silent, you can hear him. The sound is just a lot lower than than the Dead Ringer. If you're on a server with low player counts and with a good pair of headphones on, you can hear bad spies trying to decloak right behind you. The Familiar Fez set then allows you to cloak right behind someone with the now actually silent watch.

Rapstah

The_Technomancer said:
Sounds like a bot issue. If its literally non-stop needle streams then yeah, its bots.
I think the logic is they'll aim at team member and shoot; eventually they run out of ammo for the needle gun and automatically switch to healing.

Dibbz

The_Technomancer said:
Serious? I'm pretty sure everyone had a ping though on the scoreboard, and doesn't it usually say BOT there?

They are definitely not spy checking because it's just a constant barrage of needles at my face. Just pisses me off.

Yasae

Banned
Proven said:
The default and and C&D watches aren't silent. If a Spy is within 10 feet of you and its completely silent, you can hear him. The sound is just a lot lower than than the Dead Ringer. If you're on a server with low player counts and with a good pair of headphones on, you can hear bad spies trying to decloak right behind you. The Familiar Fez set then allows you to cloak right behind someone with the now actually silent watch.
With Eternal Reward they're both very close to silent. What most spies don't realize is that while they can hear the decloak at the normal volume, almost nobody else can. It shouldn't be this way, either, which makes it a humongous bug.

So the vast majority of decloak noise reduction comes from equipping YER alone with any watch. The Saharan Spy set is merely an augmentation. The amount of noise reduction provided by both together would probably be at least 70%. It's too much.

Blizzard

Banned
You know, considering how much people apparently hate items, I can still check my friends list and...4 people are ingame. Two of them are apparently idling locally, one of them is not on a server (perhaps they were idling and it broke) and the fourth is actually on a server. :/ Well, at least that's ONE person I can join!

Sofo

Dibbz said:
Serious? I'm pretty sure everyone had a ping though on the scoreboard, and doesn't it usually say BOT there?

They are definitely not spy checking because it's just a constant barrage of needles at my face. Just pisses me off.
It's worse when you're a Spy, cloaked, and people in your own team are trying to hit you while you're standing still, giving away your position. Really annoying.

As for the Saharan Spy set, it's just so great. I tried it again today, with Cloak and Dagger (my usual watch) and it's almost completely silent. I should have gone for this set from the start (went for the Sniper's one first and was really disgusted with it).

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Yasae said:
With Eternal Reward they're both very close to silent. What most spies don't realize is that while they can hear the decloak at the normal volume, almost nobody else can. It shouldn't be this way, either, which makes it a humongous bug.

So the vast majority of decloak noise reduction comes from equipping YER alone with any watch. The Saharan Spy set is merely an augmentation. The amount of noise reduction provided by both together would probably be at least 70%. It's too much.

Your Eternal Reward provides no change in decloak volume. You must have the full set equipped.

I was planning on crafting the Familiar Fez, but then I checked the blueprint and you need 72 weapons to make 4 refined metal. That pretty much killed my interest in crafting it.

Forkball

Sgt.Pepper said:
I was planning on crafting the Familiar Fez, but then I checked the blueprint and you need 72 weapons to make 4 refined metal. That pretty much killed my interest in crafting it.
Crafting hats is troublesome, it's much easier just to trade for hats. A lot of people want the Fez though so it might be harder to find for a good deal. You could always craft a Spy token (three Spy weapons), and trade around two refined for two less-wanted hats, and try to craft the Fez that way. Or you could just hope you get it as a drop (lol).

Remy

This may be a deadly question, but... are there enough people who won't be watching the Super Bowl tonight to warrant getting a game going?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Remy said:
This may be a deadly question, but... are there enough people who won't be watching the Super Bowl tonight to warrant getting a game going?
Oh, the Super Bowl is tonight?

That was my genuine reaction. I'll probably be on.

Oreoleo

Remy said:
Go Packers! I'm gonna be hopping on in a little bit but once it hits 6:30 I'm out. Pittsburgh must be thwarted.

Sgt.Pepper said:

You need four refined metal and an extra L'Etranger (or Eternal Reward) to craft the Familiar Fez. But honestly, that's ridiculously easy amount of metal to acquire. Just play the game and you'll get enough dupes to craft that amount. I've easily hit that amount of refined seven or eight times now in my 1200 some odd hours of play.

Sofo

Well, to me it was more about what to do with duplicate weapons. I have most common drops for other classes and I thought it wouldn't hurt wasting the duplicates on the only two classes I play (Spy and Sniper. Well Scout too, to an extent). Can't wait to give it some more love next weekend. So far this means I've got 8 refined but my fiancé was also giving me his duplicates, so that counts towards the main goal.

Twig

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
You need four refined metal and an extra L'Etranger (or Eternal Reward) to craft the Familiar Fez. But honestly, that's ridiculously easy amount of metal to acquire. Just play the game and you'll get enough dupes to craft that amount. I've easily hit that amount of refined seven or eight times now in my 1200 some odd hours of play.
1200/8 = 150 hours per crafted fez.

That is ridiculous and there's no denying it.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:

Not to mention, that long for an item that, by all accounts, can be really helpful to the spy. And if you choose to use the 150 hours for that (and don't get lucky from drops and/or trading), that means you've either been idling, dedicating yourself to play the game during that time, and/or completely sacrificing anything else you might have wanted to craft during the time period.

Remy said:
I haven't decided if I'm going to watch it yet, but if I don't, I have homework I should probably be doing instead. Of course I suppose I could always get it done now (yeah right)...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yasae said:

I can hear it :)
Also uncloaking with Dead Ringer at 2 feet away with YER is STUPID.

I'll have my Fez in a week or two even though 4 refined is madness. On the plus side when I craft it, it will be nerfed in a week.

The problem I have with the Fez now is that once enemies see my hat, the KNOW I'll pop up somewhere real soon, so you get these relentless pyro players spamming hard.

BloodySinner said:
The problem I have with the Fez now is that once enemies see my hat, the KNOW I'll pop up somewhere real soon, so you get these relentless pyro players spamming hard.
I know a guy who changes watches and knives regularly, so he changes his playstyle all the time. That said, he doesn't use Dead Ringer with YER on ctf maps because the abundance of Engineers and the need to kill someone first to get a disguise.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I find that YER actually works really well for that kind of thing. Despite you first needing to stab anther guy, once you do, you go in, stab the engineers, and sap up their stuff.

Twig said:

It is and it isn't.

It isn't ridiculous in that that time would have been spent playing TF2 regardless. It is ridiculous in that I agree you shouldn't have to unlock anything.

Yeef

I don't have a problem with unlocks, just with rare unlocks that affect gameplay. The set bonuses were an interesting idea, but making them require hats was a terrible idea.

It'd also be nice if the drop system favored items that you don't have, newer items, or both. Of course, that would mean fewer people buying things in the Mann Co. store.

Twig

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
It is and it isn't.

It isn't ridiculous in that that time would have been spent playing TF2 regardless. It is ridiculous in that I agree you shouldn't have to unlock anything.
That's fair, although I'm not really against unlocking as long as it can be done in a timely fashion.

Original Medic update blew because it took me forever to get enough cheesemints for the third unlock.

Last class update - Engineer - was awesome because it took no time at all for me to get two of the unlocks, and the third had already randomly dropped for me.

Unless you get lucky, the Fez takes about 15 times longer (according to your metric) than I'd be happy with.

corn_fest

I thought all the polycount hats became crate hats, so they could be had really cheap. Still, I guess it's not fair to assume that people are willing to get into trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom