• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

corn_fest said:
I thought all the polycount hats became crate hats, so they could be had really cheap. Still, I guess it's not fair to assume that people are willing to get into trading.
Nobody wants to waste money on crates.

corn_fest

Yeef said:
Nobody wants to waste money on crates.
In general, yeah, but there are always insane unusual collectors. Those hats have to come from somewhere. Maybe I'm just remembering how low-valued the original pyro crate hats became. I haven't really kept up with hat rarity statistics.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
From what I remember, people are mainly opening the the series 9 crates to get the paints, but the use of keys has likely gone down a bunch.

Forkball

Yeah most people seem to only open and want the Series 9 crates which only have paint and hats. According to the wiki, all the paints in the Series 9 crate have the same drop rate, but for some reason the lime and pink paints are worth much more. Also for a lot of the hats, there are more vintage versions than non-vintage versions, yet the vintage ones are always worth more. The world of Hat Fortress is indeed a crazy one.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if they slowed down with the major updates. The Mannconomy, Scream Fortress, and Australian Christmas updates were all big and came out within a three month period. I'd like them to focus on more map changes and new maps. Everyone loses their shit and says "TF2 is ruined FOREVER" when you introduce new items, but no one hates the idea of more maps.

Twig

Banned
Forkball said:
Yeah most people seem to only open and want the Series 9 crates which only have paint and hats. According to the wiki, all the paints in the Series 9 crate have the same drop rate, but for some reason the lime and pink paints are worth much more. Also for a lot of the hats, there are more vintage versions than non-vintage versions, yet the vintage ones are always worth more. The world of Hat Fortress is indeed a crazy one.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if they slowed down with the major updates. The Mannconomy, Scream Fortress, and Australian Christmas updates were all big and came out within a three month period. I'd like them to focus on more map changes and new maps. Everyone loses their shit and says "TF2 is ruined FOREVER" when you introduce new items, but no one hates the idea of more maps.
Did they ever introduce whatever new game mode they were working on?

Also, it's not so much the items that's killed my enthusiasm... it's more the way they do it. Selling items for real money? Eurgh, but okay, as long as I can st-- oh some of the hats are store-exclusive, huh? EURGH. What? Grinding for Halloween paper bag hats? No one wants to play anyone but that map and they don't even really play... Oh, cool, Christmas keys, maybe I get to open a crate for fr--- oh I have to buy keys. Gee thanks. Oh cool I get a hat for this fun little treasure hunt metaga-- oh I have to buy and play every single one of them if I want the really awesome hat (and it IS really awesome ;_;).

Everything before Mannconomy got me really pumped and excited to play. Everything since has had some cool stuff but also been a real downer in the worst of ways.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Did they ever introduce whatever new game mode they were working on?
I am pretty sure Medieval mode was the mode they were talking about for a long time, due to how they said several polycount packs were held out to tie into it, and two polycount packs came out with it that tied into it.

I can't decide if the Flamethrower or Degreaser is better. I love using the axtinguisher with degreaser, but the lowered damaged from burn does't make it very good in killing enemies that escape.

I can't get over how many people prefer the lack of airblast over the critical from the back with Backburner.

Yeef

• Increased the base damage for the Scout's Sun-on-a-Stick, and changed it to always mini-crit against burning targets if the attack is not already critical
  • Fixed burning deaths to always use the death notice icon for the weapon that started the burn
  • Updated the RIFT pre-order items to be not-tradable until the RIFT pre-order period is over
  • Updated the burn effect from the Pyro's Sharpened Volcano Fragment to only last for a limited time on enemies
  • Updated the description of the Well Spun Hat claim code item

Updating server now...
[DONE]

Sgt.Pepper said:
I can't decide if the Flamethrower or Degreaser is better. I love using the axtinguisher with degreaser, but the lowered damaged from burn does't make it very good in killing enemies that escape.

I can't get over how many people prefer the lack of airblast over the critical from the back with Backburner.
Some of us are just lazy (at least I am)

Yeef

The degreaser is pretty much a straight upgrade to the flamethrower. The reduced burn damage (which amounts to 15 points of damage) is negligible. With the quick switch hitting them with the shotgun does more damage, even if you just glance them. If you're dead and hoping that they'll burn to death, most of the time the 15 damage won't make a difference.

The backburner would be a lot better if they increased the angle of the crits to 135 degrees or so. As it is now (90) it's pretty difficult to actually get it to crit consistently since the angle is based on where the person is looking, not the actual model.

Clydefrog

I play this game too much.

Sometimes I find myself not even having fun playing but I will still play for a good hour.

All I do is play huntsman anymore. I have tossed an ocean's worth of jarate. I named and described my bow 'test'

When I went for a jog yesterday morning, I started talking to myself in the sniper's voice. Bloody this, bloody that, good on ya mate, that Toyota Corolla is a SPY!

If we have a lot of snipers I will go pyro/spy. I usually get too frustrated playing engineer or medic.

I hate heavies.

I'm usually near or at the top of the team's leaderboard.

I hoard refined metal and then do nothing with them. I have lots of paint but I never paint anything.

I have even opened a few crates.

Garbageday is such a shitty map. Steel is a fun map.

Twig

Banned
Clydefrog said:

Sometimes I find myself not even having fun playing but I will still play for a good hour.

All I do is play huntsman anymore. I have tossed an ocean's worth of jarate. I named and described my bow 'test'

When I went for a jog yesterday morning, I started talking to myself in the sniper's voice. Bloody this, bloody that, good on ya mate, that Toyota Corolla is a SPY!

If we have a lot of snipers I will go pyro/spy. I usually get too frustrated playing engineer or medic.

I hate heavies.

I hoard refined metal and then do nothing with them. I have lots of paint but I never paint anything.

hmmmmmmmmmm

Yeef

Garbage Day is decent with a half full server. I could see how it'd be pretty terrible with a full server though.

I have an old account I don't do much with, and a few weeks ago I was messing around on a server that could spawn Headless Horsemanns, and I received a Haunted Metal for killing it, since I never did that with this account back during Halloween. Trouble is, I've waited through a few patches, and the metal hasn't become tradable like some said it might. Which means if I craft a hat with it, that probably won't become "Clean" either, and I'll have to giftwrap it to trade it anywhere, right? And the bug where it would Clean through that trade is gone.

So if I wanted to trade away the Haunted Metal, what should I do with it for maximum value? I have enough refined to make a Halloween hat, but I know it's the clean, tradable ones that are treasured more. I could also just trade away the haunted metal, and that would save me the extra refined and give the buyer more options, but then I'm going to get a lot less for it. Either way, I'm going to have to pay at least $2 for the giftwrap just to shift it, which sucks.

Any thoughts? Even if I wanted to keep it, I've still got to giftwrap it to move it to my primary account, most likely.

Proven

Clydefrog said:

I hate heavies.

Wait, Clydefrog of Control Point/Dead Workers Party network fame (why am I only now noticing this?)

Remind me again why everybody hates the Heavy? I might just be hanging out with too many comp people recently, but all the complaints and arguments against him and Pyro don't negate the fact that he's part of the reason this is still a class based multiplayer game, and not just a team game where you can play a main class really good and not have to ever switch.

Yeef

Heavy is fine. I don't know why anyone would complain about them. On payload maps 3 or 3 heavies on the cart can be a bitch, but other than that they aren't really a problem.

I really don't know why anyone would complain about Pyros. They're pretty weak as a class.

rar

the idea is that a heavy isn't fun to play or play against and requires minimal effort to play well. it's not overpowered in the sense that it's superior to other classes, but it's annoying that in pubs someone playing another class has to put a lot more effort into playing to make the same impact as a heavy with a medic. the class could use more depth

i cant complain about pyro. i think the class could be tweaked to make it more fun and deep, but its pretty solid the way it is

Blizzard

Banned
rar said:
the idea is that a heavy isn't fun to play or play against and requires minimal effort to play well. it's not overpowered in the sense that it's superior to other classes, but it's annoying that in pubs someone playing another class has to put a lot more effort into playing to make the same impact as a heavy with a medic. the class could use more depth

i cant complain about pyro. i think the class could be tweaked to make it more fun and deep, but its pretty solid the way it is
I think a heavy is fun to play as...it's almost certainly my favorite class. I also think with the variety of weapon/sandvich/movement speed choices available (even though natascha may no longer be a very viable weapon), the heavy has more variety now than ever. At any rate, maybe I am in the minority but I love heavy and I have fun. :)

In fact, I thought I had seen at least one person complaining that the heavy DOES have more variety, i.e. options for running into battle but sacrificing melee (which is largely unused anyway). Perhaps that person would rather the heavy kept his original weapons, without running or natascha?

Some spies might find heavies fun to play against. *shrug* I guess I don't generally think of classes being fun to play AGAINST. I like hunting clueless snipers and heavies, but if a player is good enough to kill me all the time, then that is just depressing and saddening and no fun! :"(

Yeef

I definitely think Heavy is the most boring class to play as, personally. The minigun is just a boring weapon. Running around punching or shotgunning as a Heavy is fun, but I've always preferred fast classes in just about every class-based game I've played, so playing the slowest doesn't suite me.

Oreoleo

What the heavy lacks in dynamic gameplay is made up for by the fact that a good heavy can lead a team and dictate the flow of the game which can be very satisfying. The same can be said for medic.

Forkball

I started to really enjoy the Heavy when they gave him the Fists of Steel. It's great for capping points and drawing fire away from your teammates. I find it much more useful than the GRU, which has limited uses if your Engies set up some teleporters.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Forkball said:
I started to really enjoy the Heavy when they gave him the Fists of Steel. It's great for capping points and drawing fire away from your teammates. I find it much more useful than the GRU, which has limited uses if your Engies set up some teleporters.
That's because they are broken. I love em.

GRU is fantastic. It makes the Heavy even more mobile and the use is not only as a substitute for teleporters. Heavy-Medics with GRU is a lot more dangerous than the one without GRU.

Haha Valve

The Sun on the Stick uses the Flare Gun's coding to determine if an attack is a min-crit or not.

However that means someone can modify the length of the Sun on a Stick hit box and it will fully crit.

In easier terms: Sun on a Stick is coded to crit at medium to long range and mini-crit at close range.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does this mean it will not crit, or that if for some reason valve added the option to toss the Sun on Stick it would always crit?

As long as it works correctly, I say it is a clever reuse of code.

Drkirby said:
Does this mean it will not crit, or that if for some reason valve added the option to toss the Sun on Stick it would always crit?

As long as it works correctly, I say it is a clever reuse of code.
it works as intended, but it's also coded to crit long range

Melee weapons can't be long range, so it's just wasted code.

balladofwindfishes said:
it works as intended, but it's also coded to crit long range

Melee weapons can't be long range, so it's just wasted code.

Just you wait until the patch that lets Genuine Sun on a Sticks cast Flare with Alt Fire.

Clydefrog

Oh, one more thing. I use my taunt to look around corners.

The cart/intel silhouettes are also nice little wallhack-ish bonuses.

Cipherr

I didnt realize that Medieval Mode was an official mode, I thought some of the servers had hacked their clients or something to host those kind of games. Because you cant use your full weapon suite.

But I love those. I went to them when I wanted to learn to be a better spy honestly. Got a much better feeling there for who to stab and when and at what angle I could get away with it at. Just hours of stab stab stab. Good times.

Blizzard

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
Interview with Robin Walker

Meet the Pyro has been finished for years, they just are waiting to release it last.
WHAT. Next thing you know, Episode 3 will come out in 2012, and they'll be like "Yeah, it was finished with episode 2, but we wanted to wait until we got some TF2 hat updates released." >_>;

*edit* Also, they claim they just wanted to add a normal pyro axe like that, and RIFT gave them an excuse to do it, or something like that? Wat. I guess they're kinda craftable at least (with lots of metal right?).

Also, apparently Robin plays demoknight and we have more NPC bosses like the headless horseman coming. Considering that map nearly singlehandedly killed some people's interest in the game, and Valve apparently thinks people loved the horseman (and the map?), that's kinda scary.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
Also, they claim they just wanted to add a normal pyro axe like that, and RIFT gave them an excuse to do it, or something like that? Wat. I guess they're kinda craftable at least (with lots of metal right?).
Makes sense to me. It's not like it's a particularly original idea, given what the pyro is. They were just waiting for an excuse to put it in, and BAM, here comes Rift with volcanoes... I guess.

The "Rift was perfect!" part is a little befuddling, but the "We've been waiting!" part makes sense.

Considering that map nearly singlehandedly killed some people's interest in the game, and Valve apparently thinks people loved the horseman (and the map?), that's kinda scary.
False.

What killed people's enthusiasm was the shitty grindy paper bag hats that required you to play exclusively on that map for hours on end just to get them all. And, worse, people actually WANTED to do the grinding. That was the first time I just actively said "fuck it" and quit playing because of the PEOPLE. People are fucking stupid. That includes each and every one of you morons, fools, and not smarts who got the cheesemint for the Saxton Hale hat. Be ashamed. Be very ashamed.

Valve should have known better, but I still blame the players. U:

Anyway. The boss was awesome. Just not awesome for hours on end nonstop. I liked the map, too. Nice, simple layout. I can see why people wouldn't like it, though.

The boss was awesome.

Grinding was not. It was fun to go on gift hunting sprees, but you need win like 9 times to complete it. You also had a time limit, up to when the event ended, so it blew.

I never even bothered getting the Saxton hat, because it's tedious and it's ugly.

Twig

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
The boss was awesome.

Grinding was not. It was fun to go on gift hunting sprees, but you need win like 9 times to complete it. You also had a time limit, up to when the event ended, so it blew.
*fist bump*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just gave some guy a bunch of metal for the masks, I couldn't stand trying to hunt them down any more. That was the worse part of the event and I hope something like that doesn't happen again. Sadly it also killed instrest for the map, despite me liking both versions of the map.

Would love there to be more bosses though, now that was fun.

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
What else I am going to do with with the metal? I already have enough hats.
Everyone who did that cheesemint supported Valve's insanity.

SHAMEFUL.

I'm saved from shame cause rac gave me the hat and I didn't have to get the cheesemint. :3

I actually think that stupid fucking thing is more offensive than anything else they've done, including in-game store or promotions. It was just straight up bad GAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom