• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

balladofwindfishes said:
Who ubers Scouts anyway?
You get an achievement for ubering a scout that gets three kills. The medic has a lot of dumb achievements, probably because it was the first class update. Kill 50 scouts with the syringe gun? Noooooo

Oreoleo

balladofwindfishes said:
Who ubers Scouts anyway?

Honestly dude, I'd rather uber someone like Boonoo as a scout than a shitty pyro or soldier. In the right hands they can be deadly and tear shit up fast. I mean really, their only weakness is their low HP, which is a non-issue in the middle of an uber. Toss in a crit-a-cola and you could wreck half a team with an uber scout.

I'm not saying I would go out of my way to uber a scout, but if I found myself in the right circumstances, sure.

Orellio said:
Honestly dude, I'd rather uber someone like Boonoo as a scout than a shitty pyro or soldier. In the right hands they can be deadly and tear shit up fast. I mean really, their only weakness is their low HP, which is a non-issue in the middle of an uber. Toss in a crit-a-cola and you could wreck half a team with an uber scout.

I'm not saying I would go out of my way to uber a scout, but if I found myself in the right circumstances, sure.
Mostly the problem with ubering scouts is that they move so fast that it's hard to keep up with them, making you run the risk of breaking the uber. Basically if you want to uber a scout, you have to be communicating well to make sure you stay together.

Blizzard

Banned
Kulock said:
They were apparently messing with a Medi Gun that let you keep up with Scouts, so they're definitely looking at solutions for that.
Wow...people didn't like the idea of the heavy having faster move options? Imagine scout-speed medics constantly charging up to the front lines. Perhaps the lack of overheal would make it useless, but I would think that it could still potentially be useful for ubers and making the medic hard to hit, I dunno.

Blizzard said:
Wow...people didn't like the idea of the heavy having faster move options? Imagine scout-speed medics constantly charging up to the front lines. Perhaps the lack of overheal would make it useless, but I would think that it could still potentially be useful for ubers and making the medic hard to hit, I dunno.

It wouldn't be as big a shift as the Heavy was, since the Medic is already the second-fastest class in the game, at least in terms of walking speed. (Other than a Pyro with the full Gas Jockey set.) The Medic would have to "hitch a ride" on the Scout to go faster, which would be an interesting dynamic, especially after the round's already started.

Proven

Blizzard said:

It would have definitely changed things up as you could arrive at mid on 5cp maps not only with the Scouts, but also with the Demoman. But not being able to overheal would screw around a lot with heal orders for loadouts...

Cipherr

This isn't the thread for this but I got TF2 by getting the Orange box. I finally played through portal myself yesterday. Game was short but fucking amazing. Soooo atmospheric. Anyone got a link to the OT for that?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cipherr said:
This isn't the thread for this but I got TF2 by getting the Orange box. I finally played through portal myself yesterday. Game was short but fucking amazing. Soooo atmospheric. Anyone got a link to the OT for that?
Might as well make a LTTP thread, Portal has been discussed to death and been a must play game for like 3 years now.

edit: beaten.

Two days ago, I got a Sticky Jumper after FOUR freaking attempts at crafting it. That's a lot of materials since each attempt requires a scrap, a demo token and a primary token.

It was worth it. The Sticky Jumper is so freaking sweet and much funner than the Rocket Jumper. It's so freaking fun at Harvest, since you can jump back and forth between the spawn doors then ready your Caber, which you use then you sticky jump back to your spawn to escape AND refill it. I love how you can surf along the roof as well. Had a WTF moment when I got MVP'd in one round.

I need to practice how to chain those sticky jumps.

Wolf Akela said:
Two days ago, I got a Sticky Jumper after FOUR freaking attempts at crafting it. That's a lot of materials since each attempt requires a scrap, a demo token and a primary token.

It was worth it. The Sticky Jumper is so freaking sweet and much funner than the Rocket Jumper. It's so freaking fun at Harvest, since you can jump back and forth between the spawn doors then ready your Caber, which you use then you sticky jump back to your spawn to escape AND refill it. I love how you can surf along the roof as well. Had a WTF moment when I got MVP'd in one round.

I need to practice how to chain those sticky jumps.
Yea, the SJer is a riot on the right map.

I was playing KOTH_Sawmill and beating the other team like a rented mule. Using the caber and grenades at point blank range, then being able to bail out when the heat turns up is just so far.

Just a slight buff to them (cut the damage weaknesses to just 20% more bullet damage taken) and the weapon would be an amazing side-grade, and not just a hilarious to use niche weapon.

I bought mine.

Valve needs to make a silhouette visible to your teammates when you're cloaked. I can't count how many times my own teammates screw my hiding spots by coming where I am. They also make my spot known when they think I'm an enemy spy and throw shit (or rather, piss) at me right when the enemy is nearby.

EDIT: Though, how it would be it would be if you disguise as a enemy spy and you cloak near enemy team?

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
Valve needs to make a silhouette visible to your teammates when you're cloaked. I can't count how many times my own teammates screw my hiding spots by coming where I am. They also make my spot known when they think I'm an enemy spy and throw shit (or rather, piss) at me right when the enemy is nearby.

EDIT: Though, how it would be it would be if you disguise as a enemy spy and you cloak near enemy team?
Sounds like you're just playing with fools and new players. Most new people don't realize that cloaked spies are 100% invisible unless they're being shot or bumped into. If you can see someone while they're cloaked then they're on your team. Furthermore, once you mouse over them their info will pop up as well.

Cloaking in the line of sight of an enemy gives you away anyway. Even if you're disguised your cloak cloud is always your team color.

A silhouette for spies is a bad idea, but a good (unrelated) idea that I've seen before is that when an enemy sentry is being sapped it should show an outline. That way, once the spy gets a sapper on there the team can quickly push and take the sentry down and, even if the spy is unsuccessful, he helps his team by revealing the position of sentries and other buildings.

Yeef said:
Sounds like you're just playing with fools and new players. Most new people don't realize that cloaked spies are 100% invisible unless they're being shot or bumped into. If you can see someone while they're cloaked then they're on your team. Furthermore, once you mouse over them their info will pop up as well.

Cloaking in the line of sight of an enemy gives you away anyway. Even if you're disguised your cloak cloud is always your team color.

A silhouette for spies is a bad idea, but a good (unrelated) idea that I've seen before is that when an enemy sentry is being sapped it should show an outline. That way, once the spy gets a sapper on there the team can quickly push and take the sentry down and, even if the spy is unsuccessful, he helps his team by revealing the position of sentries and other buildings.
Well, they are public servers. I don't exactly expect big pros in there. :p

And yes, Valve should do something with the sapper. A message about a friendly spy just sapping a sentry would be great for your teammates to start advancing. But I think the silhouette or the cloacked spy a little more visible to teammates would be great for tactics specially since when you use your mic while cloacked your enemies can see the sign over you.

Oreoleo

Yeef said:

Or alternatively make placing a sapper make a louder noise so teammates know when you sapped. Very stupidly the other day I jumped out as heavy when I thought I heard our spy sap a sentry, but what I actually heard was the engineer destroying the sapper :( So I got owned pretty much instantly.

Edit: A sap message would be great too. Similar to how getting hit with the Holy Mackerel shows a message even if you weren't killed by it: Spy -> SapX Engineer

IceMarker

balladofwindfishes said:
NEW TWIST in this excited winter payload map image!
That screenshot I posted earlier says the person has 59/373 achievements

TF2 only has 368 achievements
Valentine's Day achievements!

Forkball said:
The axe kind of makes sense. It's forged from lava, and Pyro shoots fire... eh, eh?!
It doesn't fit TF2 at all though style wise. There's no lava at all in TF2

At least they're Fire Axe and Bat replacements, meaning we won't see them used much, if at all.

It just kills me because I like to collect all the weapons, and these items are going to be super rare, and I'll probably never get them. I had a tough enough time getting a fair deal on the Sam and Max weapons.

Clydefrog said:
What's happening exactly? I'm at work and can't really click on that link.
Rift items for TF2. A lava axe for Pyro and a lava stick for Scout.

Wow...
On TF2 Wiki IRC and people are mad
On SPUF people are mad
On Facepunch people are mad

ouch... I think the price of this one is what is setting people off. Joystic even remarked about how bizarre the crossover is

fallengorn said:
Pre-order an MMO? Maybe this is the one that crosses the line and makes Valve reign it in.
It seems that way. I haven't really seen so many people against a promotional item.

Usually you have a couple people who whine, but ultimately stop or give up because the game is like 15 dollars and there's no point in whining. Previous promotions have also been either indy driven, or by smaller publishers.

But a 50 dollar game + subscription, a medium to large publisher, unfitting items, and a game that isn't even "cartoon" looking is just strange.

These may be the most rare promotional items in the game at this rate, which is both a pro and con.

corn_fest

The fuck is that shit. They aren't even pretending that this stuff fits into the art style anymore. This might be what gets me to edit my game files to get rid of certain cosmetics. That is seriously one of the ugliest weapons I have ever seen.

Blizzard

Banned
fallengorn said:
Pre-order an MMO? Maybe this is the one that crosses the line and makes Valve reign it in.
Remember the days when special Sam and Max items came out, and Valve was all, don't worry guys, we're only doing this because we're REALLY good pals with the Sam and Max developers, and this is a one-time-only thing and whatnot? Those were fun days. ;p

*edit* Actually, Valve may have said that about the Worms guys and the holy hand grenade/helmet items. I can't remember which was first.

Blizzard said:
Remember the days when special Sam and Max items came out, and Valve was all, don't worry guys, we're only doing this because we're REALLY good pals with the Sam and Max developers, and this is a one-time-only thing and whatnot? Those were fun days. ;p

*edit* Actually, Valve may have said that about the Worms guys and the holy hand grenade/helmet items. I can't remember which was first.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20812680&postcount=17187
Kulock said:
Yeah, after playing some more Sam & Max last night, I gave in. If this was a lesser game series, I'd stay mad.

Still, I don't want TF2 Hats to become the corporate hook tactic for every major Steam announcement. I mean, next thing you know we'll see RailWorks hats-
200px-Engineertrainwelcomeaboard.png

Oh god, it's too late!

And this is just on the heels of the really weak MNC deal. At this point they're doing exactly what I was afraid they'd do, using TF2 to shill other games on Steam.

Safe Bet

Banned
had to uninstall the game

IT WAS KILLING MY MARRIAGE!

Edit:

Seriously though, I'm never going to get through my backlog if I don't stop playing.

;)

Twig

Banned
The Halloween update is what temporarily killed TF2 for me. It was just a dumb, grindy, dumb thing, and I had hoped Valve learned their lesson. I didn't play during the winter update, but clearly Valve didn't learn their lesson. Christmas keys? Gee, thanks.

The above is separate from using TF2 to shill other games, and, in my opinion, way worse.

This Rift promotion is horrible, but I guess I'm just not... surprised at this point. I don't really care enough. There've been so many promotions by this point that... yeah. Once they added the store, with store-exclusive items, I lost all hope for Valve not to go to the "dark side", as it were.

Won

That Rift stuff looks awful......

I will put Rift on the "MMOs I hate without a reason" list, just because of that!

Twig

Banned
Forkball said:
If you think the Rift weapons are bad, just imagine the crazy shit they're going to have when Dota 2 comes out.
At least Dota 2 is a Valve game!

Unless you mean in regards to the weapons being "out of place", which honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Forkball

Twig said:
At least Dota 2 is a Valve game!

Unless you mean in regards to the weapons being "out of place", which honestly doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Yeah I meant the "out of place" thing. They threw the Americana retro sci-fi impressionist look away a while ago, but I just don't want TF2 to look like a hodgepodge of nonsense like Gaia Online or something. But gameplay is the most important thing, and I'm having fun with the game even if a guy with a pink top hat killed me with a frying pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom