• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Q-HOUWAR Animation?
A- It's coming. This hat may be evil based on how many actually exist. Haha
IMO, this implies there is likely 666 of the hat. TF2 items knows of 524 of that hat, but can't check backpacks for people who have their accounts set to private.

Wolf Akela said:
The boss was awesome.

Grinding was not. It was fun to go on gift hunting sprees, but you need win like 9 times to complete it. You also had a time limit, up to when the event ended, so it blew.
I agree that the boss was awesome but that the masks were not. I had to play a long time to get just one.
Twig said:
I'm saved from shame cause rac gave me the hat and I didn't have to get the cheesemint. :3
Same here. It was right before they patched being able to get the achievement from gifting, too.

Forkball

balladofwindfishes said:
Interview with Robin Walker

Meet the Pyro has been finished for years, they just are waiting to release it last.
Interesting info, but damn why did that guy just paraphrase everything instead of posting the actual interview? I don't know if that even technically qualifies as an interview. And then he ends with this:

I met with some other certain people too. In fact, one very important man. I'd like to take this opportunity to say that something REALLY cool is planned soon. You all have a lot to be excited for. Seriously. I was awestruck. (It's not DOTA 2, but DOTA 2 looks cool as well. :D)
TELL US YOU ASSHOLE

The backlash from the Headless Horseman is that EVERYONE was playing Mann Manor just to get the stupid masks to make a stupid looking hat. So many servers dedicated themselves to only that map for weeks, so it killed a lot of people's interest. Which is a shame, since Mountain Lab is a pretty cool map but no one wants to play it because of bad memories. More bosses seem interesting though. Maybe they would be better suited for Medieval Mode maps.

Twig

Banned
Drkirby said:
IMO, this implies there is likely 666 of the hat. TF2 items knows of 524 of that hat, but can't check backpacks for people who have their accounts set to private.
That would be a ridiculous coincidence! I doubt it.

Twig

Banned
Forkball said:
TELL US YOU ASSHOLE
This asshole
asshole said:
I have A LOT more info as I said. I had to paraphrase because I kept running out of room, but I was very intent on keeping this on the page here. I can explain more about any of that to any who ask. :D
is a dumb.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
Maybe it ties into all 8 already being done. Like the Pyro is a time traveler or something.
I think it'd be amusing if Meet the Pyro was just all of the other classes giving their opinions on the Pyro, between clips of the Pyro in action. Kind of like a faux reality-show interview.

Of course, Valve probably came up with something more interesting than that.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Yeef said:
I think it'd be amusing if Meet the Pyro was just all of the other classes giving their opinions on the Pyro, between clips of the Pyro in action. Kind of like a faux reality-show interview.

Of course, Valve probably came up with something more interesting than that.

Yea, 'cause that's about what I came up with, and I'm terrible at these sorta things.

Yeef

The_Technomancer said:
I stand by my theory that the Pryo is an immortal Abraham Lincoln using the third life machine.
Not tall enough. Also, Abe would NEVER need a fake beard. He would consider it an abomination!

Gabe on the Mann Co store
Backstepper: Axiom wants to know: ‘Valve has mentioned before that they like to attract new consumers by giving free updates as a source of income. Then why suddenly introduce micro-transactions in TF2, and where the prices of some in-game items are even more expensive than the game itself?’

Newell: So, what we’re trying to do -- so the way to think -- okay, so, there’s this question in of how do you make money so that you can pay everybody’s salaries so you can make more stuff. The term is monetization. A lot of times pricing is thought of as a way to extract the greatest amount of money from poor, unsuspecting consumers, right? So, you know, ‘Hey, we can charge $39.95. Yeah, we can also charge $49.95! Isn’t that better?’ The answer is that is a really broken way of thinking about pricing. Pricing is a service, right? It’s an opportunity to increase the value of the thing you do by giving each person what, for them, is the optimal combination of benefits and components and costs, and each person is going to have their own optimal way of doing that. Some people are willing to have ads, and some people don’t. Some people want the least upfront cost, and some people want to know that they have finished paying for something they don’t ever have to pay for it again. Those are just simple examples of what you really want to do is to allow each person to craft and design their own custom option. Now, having transactions or incremental marginal content is one way of giving lots of people more flexibility in sort of putting together what for them is the best set of, you know, features and costs. And we’re always going to be looking for ways to give each person there more and more control over what it is that they most prefer and that it’s not going to look like what the person next to them does.

Part of what we did with some of the pricing was to find out how people would react and would people buy really expensive items and how would they react to it, how would they feel about it after a month later? How many people would actually be wearing those items who purchased them? The interesting data we saw was that when we launched the Mann-Conomy that the highest selling item on the store was the most expensive item, the second highest item - the second highest volume - was the least expensive item. So you look at that and you say ‘Hmm, people are trying to tell us something’, what is it that they‘re trying to tell us? So we’re very much at the beginning of understanding what it is that we’re learning from this. We certainly can’t say that we have this clear idea that what we’re doing is the right thing that’s optimal for all of our customers, we are looking at this very closely all the time and trying to figure out ways to learn more about what it is that people like the most and what it is that people don’t like, what are the things that we should avoid? It will be interesting and entertaining to watch us fumble around trying to understand what the best thing to do is, and hopefully people remember that our long-term goal is to create as much value and as many happy customers as we possibly can.

Backstepper: And the community also gets money from it.

Newell: Yeah! Right now, we think that that’s worth touching on. It’s like, we think that it’s an incredibly important step so that the value that the community is generating, that they’re able to vote with their dollars and say ‘This person has created something that’s more valuable than anybody else, and I’ll prove it by giving them money’ - wether it’s a map or it’s models or whatever, and we think that that’s a critical characteristic not just of Team Fortress but just about any game going forward is to create a framework in which the community can actively participate in the creation and minimization of entertainment experiences.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1FEy86d9ONhHWGYvdtGqBvTwIgnhm_bfXG3pMfXgoBAg&pli=1

Ceebs

BloodySinner said:
So what about those crates then? I seem to get them more frequently than I do for actual items. They're useless to those who do not want to spend the money.
I trade them like 3 per random weapon. Helps get some extra metal a bit quicker.

Twig

Banned
BloodySinner said:
So what about those crates then? I seem to get them more frequently than I do for actual items. They're useless to those who do not want to spend the money.
Trade them away. Or trash 'em. They're on a separate timer for a reason. You literally have no reason to complain about them other than the annoyance of having them in your backpack in the first place.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
How do you guys trade them? I spent like two hours on a trade server once trying to unload even one for scrap weapons.

Yeef said:
Not tall enough. Also, Abe would NEVER need a fake beard. He would consider it an abomination!
Well we know Abe faked his assassination, and that the third immortality machine was built on the day of his "death"

Safe Bet

Banned
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
achievement_
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
achievement_
achievement_
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort

:/

Yasae

Banned
Safe Bet said:
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
achievement_
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
achievement_
achievement_
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
achievement_
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort
ctf_2fort

:/
Turn this sideways and it's a rocket launcher.

Case closed.

Clydefrog

The_Technomancer said:
I stand by my theory that the Pryo is an immortal Abraham Lincoln using the third life machine.

The pyro is a terrifying burn victim like the ghouls in Fallout 3/New Vegas! He/she is out to exact revenge on those which burned him/her.

either that or he's Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter, hence the hadouken taunt.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
PatzCU said:
If I haven't played TF2 since the Mann Co./Polycount update, have I missed a ton of new stuff (hats)?
Bunch of weapons, and a good number of hats. Just three new maps though.

Ceebs

The_Technomancer said:
How do you guys trade them? I spent like two hours on a trade server once trying to unload even one for scrap weapons.
Best to just get a bunch of them at once to make an offer that sounds crazy. 10 crates for 3 weapons or something.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still say the reason you all aren't playing is because the other ones of you aren't playing. You played because it both for the game and the group of people you played with. It was a positive feedback loop that somehow got turned negative, and I personally blame the Halloween thing more then the Mann Co. update.

Yeef

Also, Bad Gameany 2.

You should play Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light with me, Java. I finished the single player earlier this week, but haven't tried the multiplayer yet.

Javaman

Yeef said:
Also, Bad Gameany 2.

You should play Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light with me, Java. I finished the single player earlier this week, but haven't tried the multiplayer yet.
MP is good stuff. Volc and I went through a couple of the early levels, but I've only beaten the first 3 or 4 so far in SP.
I think you're on to something Kirby. Hopefully something will come along soon that brings the community back together like tf2 of the old days.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I just played, it was still kinda fun. Just not the same without Javaman though, or to a lesser extent Yeef. Or to an even lesser extent Nob, and to no extent at all: Twig.

(._.)

Banned
Javaman said:
Same here. According to steam I hadn't launched it since the 9th of Jan. Congrats for killing it for me Manco.
Been a combination of that and the overall bloated gameplay. Just so much stuff in it now, half of it being worthless weapons. Store doesn't really both me much. The crazy trading I find silly also.

(._.) said:
Just so much stuff in it now, half of it being worthless weapons.

What, you mean we don't need six different Scout bats with different stats and abilities? (I was going to discount The Holy Mackerel, but then I remembered that it's part of a Set Bonus.)

The Scout set just seems so arbitrary, the bonus 25 extra HP but at the cost of a decent melee weapon. The Mad Milk is alright, if not weird and honestly kind of stretching it, I guess the same applies to the Shortstop. It's a faster firing Scattergun, kind of. The new scout set is just kind of...there. I mean a fish, milk, what? I main Scout, I look at this set and just ask why.

The Sandman is a clear win, the ability to stun anyone at the cost of a few overall hp. I never equip the default bat, there's no real reason to have it. The Bonk and Crit Cola both have their situational uses. The FaN is a great counter to sword demo's, fantastic for platforming, and fun for blasting people off of ledges.

Almost all of the new gear is simply reaching or muddying the waters.

commissar

I would fucking love to punch Valve in the face interview Valve about TF2, style and accessibility.

I honestly think Valve have no clue when to stop.
TF2 gets more items than it ever needed (consequently ruining the style, community and accessibility). CSS gets dominations and mind blowingly dull achievements (500 kills with weapon). Episode 3 gets remade 99 times (who knows why it would otherwise take so long)

BUT. The game despite this is still inherently fun.
Get a good game going and it's still as good as it ever was (assuming you learnt how to play when it was accessible).

I'd still be playing it now, but I'm down to cellphone internet only for a while :(
getting through those single player games though :)

Miss playing with you guys :>

So, I decided to tally up how much I've spent on keys so far. I'd though about doing it before, but I thought I'd have to work it out just from listings of "In-Game Purchases" like some section lists, figuring out when I bought a Rocket Jumper, a Secret Saxton or two, and the set of noisemakers. Turns out there's a part of Steam that lists exactly what items you bought in-game in TF2, so with a purchase of $3.97 or $3.48, it's pretty easy to figure out how many keys I bought then.

Between the normal and the holiday keys, I've bought 45 total, costing me $112.05. That doesn't include the two times I've traded metal for keys. Keep in mind with that number I've never gotten an unusual, I've only gotten a normal hat once or twice, and I stopped opening anything but Series 9s because they have some vaguely dependable value (sort of), where before I literally opened up a string of crates to nothing but Gunboats, incredibly niche secondary items in no demand priced at just $0.49 in Valve's own store. Somehow they thought that was a fair common item.

I think I'm just disappointed in myself more than anything.

Ceebs

Maybe it's just my collection habits but I still really enjoy playing TF2. There are plenty of weapons I have not found yet (even if I do not plan on using them) so that keeps me going. Other than that I still just find the game fun. Granted I will play regularly for a few months then shelve it for a few. No clue why adding new weapons turns people off if they would just use the old stuff anyway. The look of the game is not as consistent anymore, but I will take neon colored hats over nonstop positive reinforcement popups crowding my screen any day.

Drkirby said:
I still say the reason you all aren't playing is because the other ones of you aren't playing. You played because it both for the game and the group of people you played with. It was a positive feedback loop that somehow got turned negative, and I personally blame the Halloween thing more then the Mann Co. update.
Yeah, this is largely it. I'd hop on if I saw more GAFers playing more often, but there's usually no one on, so whenever I do play, I usually have to find some other server, and I never feel as much a part of any other servers as I did on the GAF one.

Beta's been updated. Some interesting changes here, including a Backburner with airblast. I'll clean this up after posting.

February 11, 2011
Gameplay

Restored player health to normal values
Replaced the no-crit attribute with -25% damage on the following:
  • The Eyelander
  • The Gunslinger
  • The Southern Hospitality
  • The Powerjack (also added +20% melee vulnerability)
  • The Horseless Headless Horseman's Headtaker
  • The Ullapool Caber
  • The Claidheamohmor

Medic

Vitasaw
  • Added the ability to see enemy health
New Medigun - The Quick-Fix:
  • Heal rate increased 50%
  • Uber charge rate increased 50%
  • Not able to overheal
  • Match the speed of any faster heal target
  • Uber effect: Megaheal
    • Heal rate increased 3x on heal target
    • Heal target and medic immune to stun and damage forces

Heavy

Dalokoh’s
  • Removed cooldown
Fists of Steel
  • Increase deploy times 20%
  • Ranged damage reduced 40% (down from 60%)

Demo

Loch-n-Load
  • +10% damage

Soldier

Equalizer
  • Tuned high-end damage range so it's no longer possible to one-shot certain classes
  • Suppress the medic call effect while active

Scout

Madmilk
  • Heal 60% of damage done (down from 75%)

Pyro

Backburner
  • Removed the restriction on airblast
  • Ammo cost increased 150% (4 blasts at full ammo)
  • Damage bonus reduced to 10% (from 15%)
New Flaregun - The Detonator:
  • Alt-fire detonates flare in flight
    • Does a small explosion that catches players on fire
  • 20% explosion damage vulnerability

Sniper

Sydney Sleeper:
  • +25% increased charge rate

General

• CombatText
    • Added an option to display healing done over heal targets (hud_combattext_healing)
    • Display a value whenever the player does something that earns them a bonus point
    • Starting position of values is now affected by range to target, making it easier to see numbers when next to targets
  • Medic overheal effect is now more noticeable
  • Synced with changes from the official releases

That's the wrong way to go about fixing the Backburner imo. If they want to make it better, they should just increase the burn damage and/or the angle you get crits at.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So wait, what are the powerjack's stats now? It is now, +25% damage done, +75 health restored on kill, No random critical hits. So does that mean they changed it to 20% Melee vulnerability, +75 health restored on kill? Thats a hefty nerf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom