• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Wow, looks like they kinda nerfed most classes besides pyro and medic (and demo, lolz)? Seeing enemy health for medic sounds really cool, and that new pyro flaregun sounds amazing...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Its hard to tell just how far the explosion range is, I am not even sure if it is working from the little I played. But that is likely due to it just using the Flaregun model and not a new one.

Another update just hit again. Sounds like they broke something with the big one.

I don't know what the little patch was, but apparently Soldiers and Demos can't Rocket Jump during the Quick-Fix's Mega-Heal.

Forkball

The new Medigun sounds interesting. By damage focus do they mean knock back? That might be useful for fighting sentries. I don't want more Pyro flareguns though. The Pyro could use another secondary, like a shotgun that shoots flaming bullets.

yeoz

Pyro can flare jump with the new flare gun, by detonating it right after shooting and jumping.
It's pretty incredible. you can go freaking far with it. apparently like from one side of 2fort battlements to the other.

Yasae

Banned
cooljeanius said:
That's the wrong way to go about fixing the Backburner imo. If they want to make it better, they should just increase the burn damage and/or the angle you get crits at.
Agreed 100%. The pyro is weaker than a lamb; don't ruin his damage output even more.

Blizzard

Banned
Forkball said:
The new Medigun sounds interesting. By damage focus do they mean knock back? That might be useful for fighting sentries. I don't want more Pyro flareguns though. The Pyro could use another secondary, like a shotgun that shoots flaming bullets.
If a shotgun shot flaming bullets, why would you use the flaregun?

And flarejumps look really cool, especially perhaps combined with the backburner...I have a feeling they may not be intentional, though, and thus will be removed. :p

Yeef

After trying the new changes in the beta, here are my thoughts:

GENERAL
The new healing values and bonus point values showing up is great. I always thought it was odd that only damage showed up. Glad they finally remedied that.

PYRO
  • The explosion on the new flare gun could stand to be slightly larger. As it is now, it deals very little damage, which is great since the point of it is to set people on fire for the follow-up shot or to make them scramble for dousing.
  • The flare jump is great and makes the choice of flare gun or shotgun meaningful.
  • Getting rid of the mini-crits for crits at all ranges is also great. With the slow firing speed even with crits it's still weaker than the shotgun (and axstinguisher) at close range anyway.
  • I actually like the backburner changes. I thought I'd hate it, but it works out well. You can't waste your airblasts since you only get 4 shots, but you still have them for those absolute tight spots. The damage nerf is barely noticeable. The only change I'd make is increasing the crit radius to 135 degrees.

MEDIC
  • Vitasaw change is minor, but nice.
  • The quick fix is interesting. Healing Scouts and hitching a ride isn't as much fun as you'd think. Since you don't have a double jump or any other advanced movement, it's common to lose track of your heal target and be stuck right in the middle of a combat zone at your normal speed. The speed boost isn't really very useful for any other class as far as I can tell. Every other class is slower other than a jockey Pyro, but for the uber charge you'd want a homewrecker pyro. Not sure how it works with horizontal rocket jumps.
  • The ubercharge for the quick fix is great for taking out nests, provided it's a singular nest. I think a small change so that, while ubered any overhealing heals you (the medic) would make it a lot more viable.

Demoman?
  • The damage boost to the Loch n Load is a nice start, but I think it could still use a bit of tweaking. Increase the range a little and shorten the reloading time and it'd be a great alternative to the grenade launcher.

SNIPER
  • For some reason I didn't have the Sleeper available, but on paper it seems like a logical upgrade for the tradeoff of no headshots.

[Edit]
Blizzard said:

And flarejumps look really cool, especially perhaps combined with the backburner...I have a feeling they may not be intentional, though, and thus will be removed. :p
I'm sure it's intentional. If you've been the SPUF at all (particularly the beta forum) every other thread for the last 5 months has been something along the lines of "The Pyro needs an airblast jump!"

I'd prefer, though, rather than making The Detonator it's own weapon they just gave the regular flare gun the explosion when it comes to TF2 proper.

Blizzard

Banned
I think someone already mentioned that, at least right now, demomen and soldiers can't do explosive jumps while healed by the quick fix.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
How many grenades from a Loch n Load does it take to drill a lvl 3 SG? I haven't got one but it'd be interesting to see since the normal grenade launcher only requires 2 pellets.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
I think someone already mentioned that, at least right now, demomen and soldiers can't do explosive jumps while healed by the quick fix.
Pretty sure that's only when ubered. The uber on the Quick Fix prevents stun and knockback including self-damage which keeps you from rocket/sticky/flare jumping. not sure how it works with the Fore-a-Nature, but it probably blocks that as well.

speedpop said:
How many grenades from a Loch n Load does it take to drill a lvl 3 SG? I haven't got one but it'd be interesting to see since the normal grenade launcher only requires 2 pellets.
A normal grenade launcher takes three hits on a fully-healed level 3 sentry whereas the Loch only takes two and fires a lot faster.

I just got a Loch-n-Load yesterday, and it has a problem where the grenades fizzle on things they shouldn't, like 1-way spawn openings. It's a small issue, but annoying.

I've really got to try the beta tonight before everyone's sick of the Flarejumping Pyros.

I really like Quick-Fix.

That's 36-108HP/sec healing, or 108-324HP/sec during its uber. You practically just click on everyone for a second, and you can do this every 20 seconds. Matching the faster speed of your target is a nice touch.

Is the all-crit effect on burning targets applicable to both flares now?

I really wish they just added those effects to the flaregun. It's a bit UP right now next to the Shotgun.

Forkball

Blizzard said:
WHY INDEED

I agree with the notion that some of the features from the new flare gun should be implemented in the normal flare gun. The only drawback the new flare gun has is explosion vulnerability, which just seems kind of random. I think most people aren't going to pick the random flare gun over the new one, so why not just put the new features into the regular flare gun? (without the explosion vulnerability)

The flare gun is simply too situational as is, but adding these new features will make the choice between shotgun and flare gun more meaningful. Pyro flare jumping adds a whole new element to the class and compliments it's strengths at ambushing and flanking.

The Sydney Sleeper upgrade is pretty interesting too. The weapon was so useless before, but having a faster charge might cause players who suck at headshots (me) to use it so they can get some decent body shots in.

Oh god Flarejumping's fun. Very uneven at the second, but kind of in a way that fits the Pyro.

Wolf Akela said:
I really wish they just added those effects to the flaregun. It's a bit UP right now next to the Shotgun.

Flare Gun's more about harassment (<3 Snipers) and being an additive than a direct kill weapon. That said, the Detonator would be a serious upgrade to the Flare Gun if they didn't include a downside. I think it can catch multiple people on fire, and it means "missed" flares can be popped as a second-chance.

Quick-Fix is interesting. It sounds like something that shouldn't work, especially the lack of overheal and the Megaheal uber, but it did. Maybe because people are unfamiliar with it. Either way, it feels like you're faster all the time, not just when you're running with a Scout.

Looks like Valve may be ramping up to adding the Firework cannon a ton of people have wanted for Pyro. There's a dozen or so really nice firework cannons people have contributed, so let's see where this takes us.

Adding a new Medigun is cool, especially since it seems so different.

But I literally just unistalled the Beta yesterday, so I won't get to try these thing :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yeah, I think they should just give it to the normal Flare gun and not make it its own, though I could see people wanting to use the Flare gun and not take 20% more explosion damage. A Gas Jockey + Detonator Pyro would be a lot more fragile.

I don't know if they need to make the explosion bigger, but at the very least it needs to be more visible.

Flare Gun's more about harassment (<3 Snipers) and being an additive than a direct kill weapon.

Problem is that there's way too many ways to extinguish. Flaregun is supposed to be long-range harassing, but if the enemy has a Medic it becomes useless. Only other use I get for it is for Heavies, but hopefully this all-crit change will change that.

You'll practically have to hit the Sniper twice to get any harassing since you can bet most Snipers will have Jarate.

The Detonator would probably be better with these stats

Alt Fire: Detonation
-20% flare hit damage
-10% afterburn damage

Encouraging you to use the detonation instead of using it as better flaregun. Detonating still does the same damage.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BloodySinner said:
That doesn't make any sense. The Pyro should have been able to compression blast his away into the air ages ago. Why the flare gun?
The flare gun allows the Pyro to fly up and hit the Solder in mid air.

Proven

Kulock said:

This, the Vita-Saw update, and the Quick-Fix will probably pull me away from Monday Night Combat. New tools/buffs to my favorite classes, and following MNC with the fact that "ambush" classes, or classes with close range weaponry, NEED WAYS TO GET INTO OR OUT OF COMBAT IN THE FIRST GOD DAMN PLACE.

Of course, first this stuff has to make it out of beta.

Edit: Also, Flare Gun buff? Awesome.

And yes, it's probably an explosive jump for the very reason that no class can have added mobility without an HP disadvantage. It's one of TF2's golden rules.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
If you time the flare jump correctly... wow.

I hit the top ceiling of badwater twice. That's kinda ridiculous. Maybe use it with the rake and backburner.

Yeef

Come and join me on the GAF server! I'm going to be doing an experiment all this week and disabling spread (both pellet spread and damage spread).

tf2.langui.sh or 174.143.208.222:27015

Forkball

0209_gabe-newell_398.jpg

Yasae

Banned
I've been playing games with Borsalino
(not those kinds of games)
on other servers I frequent. He's still alive.

X-Frame

I have an i7 MacBook Pro and want to pick this up for Mac but wanted to know if this game is due for a sale soon?

I hear it goes on sale a lot, but if it just had one or if it hasn't had one in a while, etc.

Thanks guys.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It does go on sale a lot, but it isn't "due" for one. They sometimes pop up during holidays and new Patches, but even then you can never be sure, and then there is the price of the game. You could just wait, or you could get it on Amazon for $10.

Drkirby said:
It does go on sale a lot, but it isn't "due" for one. They sometimes pop up during holidays and new Patches, but even then you can never be sure.
Nah, it's pretty regular when it comes to going on sale for the holidays or new major updates. I'd say you can be sure.

X-Frame

cooljeanius said:
Nah, it's pretty regular when it comes to going on sale for the holidays or new major updates. I'd say you can be sure.
So is it due for a major update soon? Holidays are over ..

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Got a legit hat drop yesterday, Safe'n'Sound for Engie. Also the game needs to stop giving me stupid new weapons that I don't have already because I have to keep them and can't turn them in to metal.

I was playing on beta earlier and witnessed someone get a Mining Light as a drop. Everyone lol'd.

So is it due for a major update soon? Holidays are over ..
Really doubt it. There's no regular class updates to expect. Holidays are over. TF2 was never on sale because of a tie-in promo with another game so don't hope for a sale during Portal 2's release. There's no ongoing contest of some sort (like Polycount).

The soonest sale you can hope for is the summer. Steam had a "Perils of Summer" sale last year.

It's the open beta, only available to those who already have TF2. It's where people can test stuff that Valve may add or change in regular TF2. People lol'd because any item you get there will never be accessible regular TF2, and hats (the Mining Light) are extremely rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom