• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
tf2 just got a 80meg patch hmm.

@edit

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2DM)
- Updated the version check when connecting to a server to indicated whether the server's version of the game is older or newer than the client's version when they're different.

Team Fortress 2
- Made Bill's Hat always tradable.
- Fixed a client crash caused by malformed custom client spray.
- Added a Red team skin to the Fists of Steel.
- Fixed melee attacks not destroying remote detonation pipes.
- Added the Rimmed Raincatcher to the list of Unusual hats.
- Fixed the Stickybomb Launcher viewmodel sleeves using the wrong team colors for team Blue.
- Fixed players getting set bonuses applied on tournament servers when the server is restricting the player's weapons using the item_whitelist.
- Updated CP_Thundermountain
- Updated the final stage to have the train begin receding after 15 seconds.
- Reduced the cart speed on the final two ramps in the final stage to 1/2 normal speed.

X-Frame

What's the best class to use to start with (new player)?

And any videos/guides that anyone would recommend me to check out? I'm not new to FPS by any means, but I am with PC gaming. And joining the game 3+ years late I assume I will be getting my ass kicked for several weeks ..

corn_fest

X-Frame said:

And any videos/guides that anyone would recommend me to check out? I'm not new to FPS by any means, but I am with PC gaming. And joining the game 3+ years late I assume I will be getting my ass kicked for several weeks ..
Probably Medic, since you can just heal people and observe tactics, and you'll still help the team. When you want to play an offensive class, start with the Soldier. Just stay away from Spy and Engineer until you have a better idea of how he game plays out, and remember to read up on the official wiki.

Forkball

X-Frame said:

Like corny said, go to the official wiki. Read up on the basics. The only way you get good is by practicing. You'll learn the maps, how players react to situations, when to do what etc. Don't worry about getting your ass kicked or dieing. You will die a lot in TF2, that's the nature of the game. Hell, sometimes you have to do suicide missions for the good of the team. You will lose rounds. Maybe you get steamrolled, maybe you lose in the last second, maybe your wall of sentry guns goes down in overtime and scout taps the cart, winning the match. This kinda stuff happens, but there's always next round. The community is very laid back and helpful, so you can always ask in game what to do and people will help you out.

As for starter classes, I recommend Pyro. You can do a lot of damage easily, and the class has normal speed and good health. It can be a bit tricky since Pyro is mostly for close range, but all classes have strengths and weaknesses. You can also look up class tutorials on Youtube.

Also golfham at your avatar.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why is my TF2 updating with 1.6GB of content?

X-Frame

Thank you corn and forkball. Checking out the wiki now (there's a damn wiki for everything!)

Now I just need to buy a mouse for my Mac. Thought I could use our spare Magic Mouse until I heard it sucked for gaming.

Australian Christmas items + Medieval Mode.

Beta stuff confirms Pyro will be able to do flarejumps, and by the looks of it, it can traverse farther than rocket jumps but still shorter than sticky jumps, since you can get from one battlement to another in 2fort.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if it was supposed to do it or was a glitch. At the very least they shouldn't patch the beta for a while, and see how it works out.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Drkirby said:
I wonder if it was supposed to do it or was a glitch. At the very least they shouldn't patch the beta for a while, and see how it works out.

I'm sure they expected it. Give a man an explosive and he will jump with it.

Clydefrog

TF2 is like our universe.

Ever-expanding
Stars = Crates
Asteroids = Crits
Black holes = Mann Co. store purchases
Supernovas = Unusual hats
Intelligent life = Rare, as we know it

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
balladofwindfishes said:
TF2 is closer to 5gb, the beta's cache size is not quite accurate.
Well, the Beta takes up 9.3 GB, I am assuming that it has its own copy of the Source Engine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have three series 9 crates that I dont want. Anybody who wants them can have them. My ID is EatChildren. Post here, add me, or whatever and I can give them to you.

Yeef

Ceebs said:
Was anyone playing tonight?
I wanna take you for a ride!

I wanna take you for a ride! (not me)

Yeef

I picked it up from Best Buy on my way into work. Through a combination of coupons and found gift cards I actually got it for free, which was nice. Won't be able to play it until I get home in like 45 minutes or so though.

Forkball

I stumbled across this cool/strange DeviantArt page. She's a 3D modeler and has a lot of TF2 art, both 3D and hand drawn. You can even download the female versions of the characters as part of a mod, if you're into that sorta thing.

Proven

Gamasutra is hit and miss for me, so I don't keep up with it much. If the articles were naturally single page, it'd help some.

Yeef

Proven said:
Gamasutra is hit and miss for me, so I don't keep up with it much. If the articles were naturally single page, it'd help some.
Just hit the printer-friendly view. Makes it all a single page with no ads and no comments.

I really only read the features though, not the articles.

Proven

Yeef said:
Just hit the printer-friendly view. Makes it all a single page with no ads and no comments.

I really only read the features though, not the articles.

I did do that for the last couple of articles I read. I need to do it more. I've started reading so much off of Instapaper that it gives me a second reason to get a full page view.

I use a laptop and a big HD monitor as my 2nd screen.

I just bought and installed TF2 and have been trying to get it to run on the big monitor instead of my primary monitor (laptop screen)

Have so far been unsuccessful at running the game in HD on my attached monitor.

Any idea how I can do this? Thank you :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
From what I recall, TF2 will only use the highest resolution of the primary monitor by defalut. If you don't mind a boarder, you could do -windowed -w 1920 -h 1080 (Change it to your resolution)

The simplest way would just be to change your big monitor to the primary display, but I don't know if that will work for your set up.

Yeef

Drkirby said:
I couldn't find a way to move the window though.
In Windows 7 Win+Left or Right will move the window between monitors. Don't know if it works with TF2, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I'll try it when I get home.

Using your maximum res with noborder, you don't need to move it since it'll be basically fullscreen but with the alt-tab easiness of windowed.

Yeef

Wolf Akela said:
Using your maximum res with noborder, you don't need to move it since it'll be basically fullscreen but with the alt-tab easiness of windowed.
You're missing the point. The idea is to get it to run on a secondary monitor instead of the primary monitor.

Windows 7 doesn't let you move the window, so you'll either have to set the second monitor to the primary or to mirror the primary.

Forkball

Good games tonight, it's nice to see the server full again. Even if it is full with some uh... interesting people. And I got my second hat drop ever, the Bonk Helm. I always find good stuff on the GAF server!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom