• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeegsD

corn_fest said:
ZNGzn.png

Ok so my game still lags in offline. Oh well.

Twig

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
I think I'm going to start playing Spy more again, get my mojo back that I had long ago. So watch your backs! There might be a failspy behind you!
Maybe I should play again too and we can be spy buddies.

J:

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Borgnine said:
mother of god.

Also what's with this crap of Java playing on the server and not saying anything. I don't know which color bastards to kill.
He broke his mic and is to cheap to buy a new one.

And I can also be Spy to help raise all of your K:D Ratios.

Javaman

Borgnine said:
mother of god.

Also what's with this crap of Java playing on the server and not saying anything. I don't know which color bastards to kill.

I'm just giving you all the silent treatment. kuro style.
What kirby said

abunai

Do you guys use a mumble/ventrilo server or just use ingame? If you use a external client let me know, i'll jump in if i'm ever awake when you're playing

Clydefrog

I hate using my microphone.

I don't have a headset. I have a little dingleberry I got from Meritline for $2.50 that acts as a microphone. I have to grab it and put it close to my mouth if I want to say anything. So I'm usually standing still not doing anything while talking on my mic.

Blizzard said:
Pyros, as a primarily close-range class, tend to be stronger at close range than at long range. You may wish to engage them from long range where they cannot puff you in the air. ;p

Funny you of all people replied... ;p

And it's not a matter of strength at range, I didn't have an issue with them having superior firepower with their flame at close range, before the nerf. It's that once a decent Pyro clips you with an airblast, only two or three classes can do anything to change their momentum, otherwise it's completely controlled by the Pyro. Long-term juggling until they get into a comfortable position to Axtinguish you shouldn't generally be an option, at least not without a significant cost of ammo. I also don't like that some classes have their firing interrupted and blocked when puffed.

Honestly, I liked airblast better when it was an optional aspect of the class to master, not without trade-offs, and not the expected bread-and-butter of the class. And I did like and did use it back then, but I also found myself without ammo a lot of the time.

Kulock said:
Funny you of all people replied... ;p

And it's not a matter of strength at range, I didn't have an issue with them having superior firepower with their flame at close range, before the nerf. It's that once a decent Pyro clips you with an airblast, only two or three classes can do anything to change their momentum, otherwise it's completely controlled by the Pyro. Long-term juggling until they get into a comfortable position to Axtinguish you shouldn't generally be an option, at least not without a significant cost of ammo. I also don't like that some classes have their firing interrupted and blocked when puffed.

Honestly, I liked airblast better when it was an optional aspect of the class to master, not without trade-offs, and not the expected bread-and-butter of the class. And I did like and did use it back then, but I also found myself without ammo a lot of the time.
This is problem is the biggest on maps with cliffs that you can be pushed off (see Upwards).

Proven

Eh, from the moment people raged over the original Backburner, this was the fate the Pyro was to obtain: gimmicky but powerful alternate attacks in the form of air blasts and Flaregun shots, whilst making absolutely sure they could never fight evenly in straight up combat. Either they must ambush/get close to you and take over the fight, or they lose. That's what people wanted, and that's what happened.

Now Nightfall, I've never played on it, but the description alone (at time up, the carts automatically go for their goals to help prevent stalemates) sounds interesting. I might get on the GAF server tonight if I get out of my PC gaming funk.

XeroSauce

Proven said:
Eh, from the moment people raged over the original Backburner, this was the fate the Pyro was to obtain: gimmicky but powerful alternate attacks in the form of air blasts and Flaregun shots, whilst making absolutely sure they could never fight evenly in straight up combat. Either they must ambush/get close to you and take over the fight, or they lose. That's what people wanted, and that's what happened.

Now Nightfall, I've never played on it, but the description alone (at time up, the carts automatically go for their goals to help prevent stalemates) sounds interesting. I might get on the GAF server tonight if I get out of my PC gaming funk.

Reminds me of pipeline but with better chokes and during the late afternoon instead of at night, ironically.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
ArtistDude88 said:
I think I'm going to start playing Spy more again, get my mojo back that I had long ago. So watch your backs! There might be a failspy behind you!

I definitely experienced that tonight

Great games tonight everyone. It was nice seeing a relatively full GAF server with some familiar faces. Thanks a bunch!

Yeef

My keyboard is busted, so I've been playing with a crappy standby. Despite that, I had a pretty great match on Nightfall tonight. I was wrecking everyone as Scout.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Forkball said:
I got my third hat drop in about a week, the Pyromancer's Mask. Now I know I won't get any more hat drops for about a year.

I have over 200 hours logged in TF2 and have not once ever had a hat drop.

Instro

EatChildren said:
I have over 200 hours logged in TF2 and have not once ever had a hat drop.

Took me about that long to get my first hat drop as well which wasnt until a couple months ago. Was weird though cause I had another 2 drop not long after that.

Yeef said:
My keyboard is busted, so I've been playing with a crappy standby. Despite that, I had a pretty great match on Nightfall tonight. I was wrecking everyone as Scout.
Pretty sure I killed you at least once! Anyway, my sniping was pretty awful yesterday/today; the MVP as a Soldier on nightfall made it for it!

Forkball said:
I got my third hat drop in about a week, the Pyromancer's Mask. Now I know I won't get any more hat drops for about a year.

I just got a Towering Pillar of Hats last night. Random is random, I know, but it does seem like they've tuned the hat drop rate up a bit.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Instro said:
Took me about that long to get my first hat drop as well which wasnt until a couple months ago. Was weird though cause I had another 2 drop not long after that.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Took me over 400 hours to get my first random hat drop. I have 2 through 600 +

TeegsD

abunai

BLSwagger10 said:
Except that I used to run the game perfectly. Then between August and now, I can't.

This is the computer I have, http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-vpc-f115fm/4505-3121_7-33970188.html

I can run a lot of other games. Oblivion and GTA are the only other games that just wont run well yet they should. Makes no damn sense. Or I'm just bad at PC gaming. I'd like to believe it's it former.

You're not bad at PC gaming, it's cool. I'm in a similar boat to you; played TF2 since the beta back in 07 at which it ran max at 60fps (on a 30+ man server) on my C2D @ 2.0Ghz w/ GTX7800 and 2GB of RAM. These days I'm running a 3.6GHz C2D, HD4870 and 4GB RAM, yet my frame-rate is always inconsistent (on 24 man servers only).

It's never low, it just always jumps all over the place which is even worse than having a low, yet solid frame rate. It feels so sluggish and it does not make any sense. I've moved house, bought a totally new PC, got a new Internet provider, yet TF2 just performs worse and worse. All the 'fixes' on steam forums do nothing. One moment I'm at 60 FPS and then the server fills up to more than 10 players and it's jumping all over the place like there's some sort of memory leak. I blame hats.

It's annoying since I play competitively so I have to run the game in DX8 hyper low mode to get a solid 60 FPS and Valve refuse to acknowledge anything is wrong as they only account for a decrease in frame rate on their test systems of 4% (if I recall correctly) which is all fair and well considering the vast majority have no problems. They (up until recently) did not have LOD models for the unlockable items beyond the solider update, which many people thought was the problem as a) the new items have more polygons than standard items and b) the game was drawing all those polygons no matter how far away you were from the object. Valve added LOD models in, and literally nothing changed in my game. Gets on my nerves sometimes.

TeegsD

abunai said:
You're not bad at PC gaming, it's cool. I'm in a similar boat to you; played TF2 since the beta back in 07 at which it ran max at 60fps (on a 30+ man server) on my C2D @ 2.0Ghz w/ GTX7800 and 2GB of RAM. These days I'm running a 3.6GHz C2D, HD4870 and 4GB RAM, yet my frame-rate is always inconsistent (on 24 man servers only).

It's never low, it just always jumps all over the place which is even worse than having a low, yet solid frame rate. It feels so sluggish and it does not make any sense. I've moved house, bought a totally new PC, got a new Internet provider, yet TF2 just performs worse and worse. All the 'fixes' on steam forums do nothing. One moment I'm at 60 FPS and then the server fills up to more than 10 players and it's jumping all over the place like there's some sort of memory leak. I blame hats.

It's annoying since I play competitively so I have to run the game in DX8 hyper low mode to get a solid 60 FPS and Valve refuse to acknowledge anything is wrong as they only account for a decrease in frame rate on their test systems of 4% (if I recall correctly) which is all fair and well considering the vast majority have no problems. They (up until recently) did not have LOD models for the unlockable items beyond the solider update, which many people thought was the problem as a) the new items have more polygons than standard items and b) the game was drawing all those polygons no matter how far away you were from the object. Valve added LOD models in, and literally nothing changed in my game. Gets on my nerves sometimes.

Yeah my settings for TF2 have always been at the recommended settings which is high. But it's just not playable for me at all. And on my usual server online, I can't leave my base in 2fort. Its sluggish inside but if I get anywhere near the bridge, it locks up. This never happened before. The only thing that I can t hink of is that the update that brought all that new shit like the stupid store mightve screwed up my game but I'm not entirely sure.

I just wish I could at least play offline because online is impossible at my school because they have the speed yet they block a bunch of things that make the games playable. Shit, on some days, not even the consoles can get online and they are the only ways to game online over here.

abunai

BLSwagger10 said:
Yeah my settings for TF2 have always been at the recommended settings which is high. But it's just not playable for me at all. And on my usual server online, I can't leave my base in 2fort. Its sluggish inside but if I get anywhere near the bridge, it locks up. This never happened before. The only thing that I can t hink of is that the update that brought all that new shit like the stupid store mightve screwed up my game but I'm not entirely sure.

I just wish I could at least play offline because online is impossible at my school because they have the speed yet they block a bunch of things that make the games playable. Shit, on some days, not even the consoles can get online and they are the only ways to game online over here.

That's even worse than what I have, I feel your pain.
I'm assuming you've done all the obvious things like re-install and check game files for integrity?

This/these problem(s) are so hard to figure out, but I've always noticed worse performance on newer maps. If you get bad performance in 2fort, in spawn, I have no idea what could go that wrong from an update.

Nikolai13 said:
I definitely experienced that tonight

Great games tonight everyone. It was nice seeing a relatively full GAF server with some familiar faces. Thanks a bunch!

:3
I just can't play TF2 without the GAF crew! (lol rhymes)

Yeef said:

Yesss we shall see how long your Scout killing spree lasts! :O

TeegsD

abunai said:
That's even worse than what I have, I feel your pain.
I'm assuming you've done all the obvious things like re-install and check game files for integrity?

This/these problem(s) are so hard to figure out, but I've always noticed worse performance on newer maps. If you get bad performance in 2fort, in spawn, I have no idea what could go that wrong from an update.

I've actually not done that yet but Im probably gonna wait til I head home to where the speeds are at least decent enough to redownload. How do I go about checking the integrity, like what do I go about checking for exactly.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
ArtistDude88 said:
:3
I just can't play TF2 without the GAF crew! (lol rhymes)

No worries Artist haha. Better you than some random pub punk. I was also surprised I still didn't have some of you on my friends list

Yeef

BLSwagger10 said:
I've actually not done that yet but Im probably gonna wait til I head home to where the speeds are at least decent enough to redownload. How do I go about checking the integrity, like what do I go about checking for exactly.
In your Steam Library just right click on TF2 and go to properties, then under the "Local Files" tab there'll be an option to check the integrity/cache. Steam will automatically check your files and then redownload any that are missing or corrupted.

TeegsD

Yeef said:
In your Steam Library just right click on TF2 and go to properties, then under the "Local Files" tab there'll be an option to check the integrity/cache. Steam will automatically check your files and then redownload any that are missing or corrupted.

Ok I did that and everything seems to be ok so its not that. Whats next. Should I delete all local files and reinstall?

Yeef

BLSwagger10 said:
Ok I did that and everything seems to be ok so its not that. Whats next. Should I delete all local files and reinstall?
Try defragging using HLExtract.

If that still doesn't work you, try running in DX8 mode (ugly as it is!) by going to TF2 > Properties > Launch options and putting in "-dxlevel 81."

If you're still having problems after that I'd recommend reinstalling.

As for offline, practice, keep in mind that it's very dependent on your CPU. Before I upgraded my system a couple weeks ago I'd get 60~80 FPS in a real game but much, much lower FPS in offline practice if I used more than 5 bots.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Another enjoyable night of tf2 (at least for me). Good to see it full of the regulars (well mostly) that I'm used to. Thanks again for another great night!

Hey, I remember your name. Awesome.

Yeah, good games, GAF. I lost track of how long I played...damn fun. I really enjoy playing with you guys. I usually join when I see those notifications pop up, so, keep 'em comin'!

Tonight was the first time I've switched classes so many times--especially in the first few matches. It's also the longest I've played as the Sniper (with the actual rifle) since I hate using him (I suck), but I really felt comfortable with him this time. I think I'll be using him a bit more from now.

Medic for life! Though it does kinda suck when the beam disappears (yet still functions) and you aren't sure if you're healing the right person when it gets hectic. My reaction is to usually tap the mouse again until it reappears. It can mess me up sometimes.

Blizzard

Banned
Nikolai13 said:
Another enjoyable night of tf2 (at least for me). Good to see it full of the regulars (well mostly) that I'm used to. Thanks again for another great night!
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy it since Java CRUSHED ME MOST EVERY TIME, but at least my complaining made us win steel that one time! :p

Erasus

BLSwagger10 said:
Yeah my settings for TF2 have always been at the recommended settings which is high. But it's just not playable for me at all. And on my usual server online, I can't leave my base in 2fort. Its sluggish inside but if I get anywhere near the bridge, it locks up. This never happened before.

Oh your computer is really good...
If it locks up like that maybe its an overheating problem? It is a laptop after all. Check the temps http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Blizzard said:
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy it since Java CRUSHED ME MOST EVERY TIME, but at least my complaining made us win steel that one time! :p

I can't believe we won that round of steel. That was definitely the highlight of the night

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just had an awesome late night 2fort match where I kicked a huge amout of arse.

Feels good man.

Yeef

cooljeanius said:
Youtube version? I don't really want to sign up for a Hulu account...
Lazies!

Here, I created a universal account that anyone can use. Quote this post and you'll be able to see it.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Canadian...
I'm so sorry! We're working on a cure for your condition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom