• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
balladofwindfishes said:
Every single craftable weapon in the game + 3 reclaimed has been tested. Only the basher worked

The recipe is not [weapon] + 3 reclaimed, it must be something different.

EDIT: According to TF2 Wiki IRC:

!!!!
Well fuck. I only got one Degreaser, fuck it. Not gonna waste it.
Edit: Checking my loadout, I need another axtinguisher and another backburner.
Oh, wait. One REFINED. Yep, not crafting this.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
Wow. Weapons that cost as much as a hat to craft.

This recipe inflation is getting pretty ridiculous and the trading 'economy' is probably to blame. Valve really needs to start putting gameplay concerns ahead of the superfluous stuff.

[Edit] Whoops. Misread that as 3 refined. Still, the recipe inflation exists. The original community items were just 2 weapons to craft. Then the polycount stuff was 1 reclaimed+1 weapon, then the christmas stuff was 2 reclaimed + a weapon. now we have 3 reclaimed + a weapon. At this rate next year it'll cost 3 refined + a weapon to craft a new weapon.
Yeah, especially since you need what, 9 REFINED to get the polycount set bonus hats. I'm still saving up for the spy one. (I probably have the numbers wrong, I don't remember exactly)

Also, I just crafted like 30 weapons this week. Bad timing. XD I could make the scout weapon but I am probably more interested in the pyro one.

Just crafted Sun on a Stick

I have my Powerjack + Refined ready. I'm just waiting for a Degreaser. Right now I'm trolling servers looking for someone who wants some Australian Christmas item for a Degreaser.

EDIT: Alright weapon collection is complete again, and I even have some items leftover :)
http://www.tf2items.com/id/ballad
It says they're non-tradeable, but in-game they're listed as tradeable, so I think it's a TF2 items problem.

EDIT 2: NDUDE, you're chatting with an 11 year old boy right now. He's not trading my stuff.

Yeef

Blizzard said:
Yeah, especially since you need what, 9 REFINED to get the polycount set bonus hats. I'm still saving up for the spy one. (I probably have the numbers wrong, I don't remember exactly)

Also, I just crafted like 30 weapons this week. Bad timing. XD I could make the scout weapon but I am probably more interested in the pyro one.
To craft all 5 polycount hats would cost 20 reclaimed and 5 weapons (for a total of 360 weapons). Assuming you get:
  • 6 weapons a week (the minimum) it'd take 61 weeks to craftt all five hats.
  • 9 weapons a week (the average) it'd take 41 weeks to craftt all five hats.
  • 12 weapons a week (the minimum) it'd take 31 weeks to craftt all five hats.

It's pretty ridiculous that thing that have a pretty big effect on gameplay are so difficult to get naturally (I don't consider buying or trading 'natural').

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Are the crafted versions really not tradeable right now?

Also, I would argue that the Croc-O-Style Kit Tank Buster aren't that major of game changers. People defiantly overlook how the Pyro becoming faster then a medic can be problematic. Was so fun running to the spawns on dustbowl and hammering everyone to death (Which heals me in the process)

The Hibernating Bear is also very unlikely going to save the day, +5% critical hit damage resistance on wearer is a very situational advantage, since at best you will get lucky and live with few HP when you otherwise would of died, and most of the time you will likely still be under fire.

Drkirby said:

Also, I would argue that the Croc-O-Style Kit Tank Buster aren't that major of game changers. People defiantly overlook how the Pyro becoming faster then a medic can be problematic. Was so fun running to the spawns on dustbowl and hammering everyone to death (Which heals me in the process)
TF2Items.com says they're not tradeable

My in-game backpack says both are tradeable, and neither is blacked out when you go into the trade window.

I'd believe TF2 before I believed TF2 Items

Yeef

Drkirby said:
That's a tf2items.com problem. The superior tf2b.com shows them as correctly tradable.

Drkirby said:

The Hibernating Bear is also very unlikely going to save the day, +5% critical hit damage resistance on wearer is a very situational advantage, since at best you will get lucky and live with few HP when you otherwise would of died, and most of the time you will likely still be under fire.
The Croco-style kit does make a huge difference, though it's situational (specifically against other snipers). You have more health so even if you both start aiming at the same time the one with the croc set will win out. It's even more true with the 25% increase in charge speed the sleeper will likley get (it's int he beta right now).

The tank buster, I'd argue isn't a huge deal, but it does allow a single soldier to take out sentries a lot more easily between the 20% resistance from the set and the 35% resistance from the Battilion's Backup.

The christmas sets don't require hats but also have much weaker bonuses. Neither the demo nor the heavy bonuses are really worth noting. The medic one is nice though.

Refined? Why the hell are recipes getting MORE AND MORE EXPENSIVE? It used to be just two weapons (Crit-A-Cola), then a reclaimed (polycount weapons), now refined?

Wolf Akela said:
Refined? Why the hell are recipes getting MORE AND MORE EXPENSIVE? It used to be just two weapons (Crit-A-Cola), then a reclaimed (polycount weapons), now refined?
Next are polycount hats.

GYkwk.jpg

People don't like unlocking weapons via achievements, so achievement servers are created. To somehow address this Valve create a drop system, so idle servers are created. Valve gets mad that people aren't trying to unlock or "find" weapons the way they want/intend them to, so they punish idlers, give non-idlers a hat (I gots one) and change how the drop system works. Does not deter idlers, idle servers continue to exist. Basically a persistent percentage of the TF2 userbase has been telling Valve through their behavior is that they don't like grinding to unlock weapons and they don't like the random drop system. Slowly accruing enough metal to craft something or lucking out and actually have the drop they want doesn't work for them. They would rather just have the weapons.

So what does Valve do? They make the recipes for crafting new weapons almost as ridiculous as crafting hats. *insert Orson Wells clapping gif*

Edit:

Yeef said:
15 hp makes a big difference, especially against the explosive classes. A regular rocket can 1-hit kill a sandman scout, where it'll take 2 hits with any other bat.

The fish's stats are identical to the regular bat. The main difference is that it announces it when you hit or kill someone with it. It makes it useful at catching Dead Ringer spies since it won't register as a fish kill when they fake their death. On the other hand, people paying attention will know where you are and who you're attacking even if they're not on your screen.

I started playing Scout during the spammiest point of TF2. I don't think I've ever seen as much rocket, pipe/sticky spam as I did during the Demo/Soldier War. Guess I just got used to the possibility of exploding in a single hit. I just can't sacrifice the range the Sandman gives me for 15hp, if that milkman set bonus provides enough added HP, then I might swap out the Sandman, depending on the situation.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jesus I hate Steam sometimes

TF2 refuses to both update and boot, and has been stuck this way for the last 24 hours. It says it will update, but gets stuck on 'download starting'. No amount of system restarts, Steam restarts, or pause/unpausing will fix it.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
EatChildren said:

TF2 refuses to both update and boot, and has been stuck this way for the last 24 hours. It says it will update, but gets stuck on 'download starting'. No amount of system restarts, Steam restarts, or pause/unpausing will fix it.

That's unfortunate. I have that problem sometimes, but it usually goes through eventually. Did you try changing the download region in the settings? I know I've done that a few times to get the updates ahead of time

These weapons are terrible. Like Razorback/Loch n Load type bad.

I was thinking maybe they'd be like the Pain Train or some other melee weapon that's kind of terrible, but overall works nicely in some situations and especially in medieval mode. The Pain Train on Soldier is amazing in medieval mode btw.

Pyro has the rake/powerjack, both of which do more damage per second than the rift axe in Medieval mode. In medieval mode the rake has absolutely no downside. For "real" play he also has those two weapons, plus the amazing axtinguisher and the alright homewrecker. The gimmick of fire is lost because even with fire, it doesn't do as much damage as any of Pyro's other weapons. It needs mini-crits on burning players or something worthwhile, because right now it's just a really awesome looking weapon with poor stats. Pyro already comes pre-built with a close range fire weapon, which is why his melee weapons are either tools (Homewrecker) or incredibly powerful (Axtinguisher/Powerjack/Rake). The Volcano Fragment isn't very powerful, and it doesn't have any sort of special skill to set it off from any other Pyro weapon.

The Scout's weapon is lol. He has the basher which does more damage overall, plus the absolutely pitiful bonus it gets which, given how situational it is, is not even worth it. Even as far as "bad" Scout melee weapons go, it even manages to beat the Sandman at being terrible. At least you can troll with the Sandman on insta-respawn 2fort servers. Scout has a pretty decent selection of situational, but useful, melee weapons. The Sun on a Stick is not one of these. I want a fireball like projectile that can be shot from it, like the Sandman. The animations are all already there...

I want my 2 refined back :/

Yeef

EatChildren said:

I've had that problem before with other games. Closing Steam, deleting clientregistry.blob then restarting Steam fixes those sorts of problems 99% of the time.

balladofwindfishes said:
I was thinking maybe they'd be like the Pain Train or some other melee weapon that's kind of terrible, but overall works nicely in some situations and especially in medieval mode. The Pain Train on Soldier is amazing in medieval mode btw.
Speaking of the Pain Train, I always thought it could use some sort of buff. No specific ideas, just something so that it's viable on defense in addition to offense.

desh

cooljeanius said:
Since we're doing this, here's my viewpoint (I still have to use TF2's built-in screenshot function because Steam's doesn't seem to be working for me...)

I know I could probably check this out fairly easily, but I'm at work and I'm lazy. What is the bind for taking a screenshot? I'm going to guess it's F12 since much of the HL2 engine still takes the basics from quake1.

desh said:
I know I could probably check this out fairly easily, but I'm at work and I'm lazy. What is the bind for taking a screenshot? I'm going to guess it's F12 since much of the HL2 engine still takes the basics from quake1.

F5 to use the in-engine TF2 one, or F11 I think to use the new Steam-integrated one. Different on Macs obviously, and you can change both buttons to whatever suits you.

Kulock said:
F5 to use the in-engine TF2 one, or F11 I think to use the new Steam-integrated one. Different on Macs obviously, and you can change both buttons to whatever suits you.
F12 is the Steam one. F12 was also set to launch Dashboard for me (yeah, I'm on a Mac), so I added a modifier key for that in the System Preferences, but that doesn't seem to have freed it up. I also can't seem to change the key binding in Steam, as it won't let me click into the field for changing it...

Vanpira

Yeef said:
I've had that problem before with other games. Closing Steam, deleting clientregistry.blob then restarting Steam fixes those sorts of problems 99% of the time.

Speaking of the Pain Train, I always thought it could use some sort of buff. No specific ideas, just something so that it's viable on defense in addition to offense.

They could add extra damage done to players pushing the cart or capping a point. Maybe something like 5% or so. Needs to be small in order to prevent overpowering the rocket/pipe spam. That would only be it the extra damage worked when the pain train was just equipped and not being used.

Hm, wait maybe if you have the pain train out it would reduce the damage done to you when blocking the cart from moving forward(the increased bullet damage would be a problem though). Also it could cause an already backward moving cart to roll back a little bit faster when you hit it.

Do you think it is likely that I can find someone that will trade a vintage whiskered gentleman for a vintage safe n sound?

All I want is a whiskered gentleman and white paint. Thats all I want and I don't care if the drop system never works for me again.

Satch

Banned
I need to try to get in some games with you guys!

I played on the GAF server yesterday (I was Wonder Woman playing medic). I remember ArtistDude88 being there. Recognized his avatar. :p

Something was up with my frame rate getting pretty low, and I kept rubberbanding. Might just be a problem with that one server since I don't usually have that issue. Hopefully I can figure it out. :/

Nikolai13

Neo Member
I missed playing with you guys tonight :( like getting backstabbed by Artist, blown to bits by Wartime, scattergunned by Yeef, needle-gunned by Java, etc. etc.

Sorry, I know I left plenty of you out. If you feel that spited, just say so and I can add a little tidbit haha

Ceebs

I have no clue if it was an update causing it or what but I am getting multiple crashes to desktop while playing now. Guess I can redownload the game and see if that solves anything.

Blizzard

Banned
Ceebs said:
I have no clue if it was an update causing it or what but I am getting multiple crashes to desktop while playing now. Guess I can redownload the game and see if that solves anything.
I think mine crashed once or twice yesterday, disconnected me once or twice due to buffer overflow problems, locked me out of my inventory today (without even the normal Steam server message), and crashed when I tried to launch it today. I was starting Fraps at the same time today so that might have been part of that though.

Forkball

I finally got a Crit A Cola. I now have all the pre-Mannconomy weapons. I just need the Sydney Sleeper to complete my Polycount collection. I still have quite a few more to get from the Australian Christmas update though. I see everyone getting Ullapool Caber and Crusader's Crossbow drops, but I normally get a damn Jag or something.

I still require a Brass Beast, Warrior's Spirit, Steak Sanvich, and a Crusader's Crossbow...

Also, I'm looking for the new Spy hat, Detective Noir. Maybe the Le Party Phantom too. I really wanted the Phantom until I remembered about the Detective hat, lol.

I have a Vintage Pyro's Beanie, an Engineer's Buckeroos Hat, and maybe a Heavy's Hard Counter up for trade for the Spy hat...

Satch

Banned
Clydefrog said:
Same here. AND the sydney sleeper. That's all I'm missing.
I've got an extra Huntsman if you need it to make the Sydney Sleeper.

Honestly, if I've got spares of stuff that you guys need, then by all means, I'm willing to hand it over for you collectors. :p

I don't use many of the polycount items or much of anything else I get, so don't feel guilty about taking my things. I haven't got much left because I usually just give stuff away to randoms on any server I'm playing on when people ask, but I'm willing to start giving you guys first dibs.

Here's what's in my backpack. http://www.tf2items.com/id/satchwar

Clydefrog

Satchwar said:
I've got an extra Huntsman if you need it to make the Sydney Sleeper.

Honestly, if I've got spares of stuff that you guys need, then by all means, I'm willing to hand it over for you collectors. :p

I don't use many of the polycount items or much of anything else I get, so don't feel guilty about taking my things. I haven't got much left because I usually just give stuff away to randoms on any server I'm playing on when people ask, but I'm willing to start giving you guys first dibs.

Here's what's in my backpack. http://www.tf2items.com/id/satchwar

Oh you can make the sydney sleeper? I have four freakin' huntsmen.

desh

ArtistDude88 said:
I still require a Brass Beast, Warrior's Spirit, Steak Sanvich, and a Crusader's Crossbow...

Also, I'm looking for the new Spy hat, Detective Noir. Maybe the Le Party Phantom too. I really wanted the Phantom until I remembered about the Detective hat, lol.

I have a Vintage Pyro's Beanie, an Engineer's Buckeroos Hat, and maybe a Heavy's Hard Counter up for trade for the Spy hat...

I'll work on getting you that Detective Noir hat.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Since Homefront is a Steam Works game, I wonder if you will get the Hachimaki for just buying and activating the PC version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom