• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
wartime1020 said:
Played Spy for an entire round today, which is something I don't think I've ever done (with about 350 hours logged). And, unsurprisingly, I am awful at it.

Hehe, takes a while to get use to!

Adding to Yeef's tips,

Act like the other team!

If the objective is heading to a point, get behind them, disguise, and head to the point with their team, don't run against them as it looks suspicious and you have a higher chance of getting bumped into. While disguised, don't look at their team or constantly walk behind someone (unless you're in a small corridor) until you're close enough to strike.

Revolver is amazing!

When you're disguised you can seen the enemies' health. If it's low, don't be afraid to whip out your revolver and finish them off, unless there's a sentry around. :p

Yeef

ArtistDude88 said:
When you're disguised you can seen the enemies' health. If it's low, don't be afraid to whip out your revolver and finish them off, unless there's a sentry around. :p
Actually, you can see enemy health even if you're not disguised now. In the beta Medics with the Vita saw can also see enemy health. That'll probably end up in real TF2 soon.

(._.)

Banned
Heavy said:
Is 217 (now 500+) a lot for exclusive stuff like this? so it's barely worth anything?
I actually misread the originally post I quoted. It actually is pretty rare still if its in the 500 range. I believe there are like a couple thousand max heads and that keeps going up in value since it was given out. Still like 10+ days to get the preorder hat for this game so there will probably be a decent amount of them by the time the bonus offer is over.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think they may give the hat to anyone who buys the game on PC, and just have the Genuine Tag be for people who preorder it/buy it in the first week (It is still a Steam Works game).

Yeef said:
Actually, you can see enemy health even if you're not disguised now. In the beta Medics with the Vita saw can also see enemy health. That'll probably end up in real TF2 soon.

Goes to show how much I pay attention :(

Cipherr

Managed to fool around on those trade servers and got a Familar Fez for a couple of metals, a meager fraction of what it would have taken to craft it. It makes the DR damn near inaudible. I mean its EXTREMELY quiet, much more quiet than even the C&D. The electric poppy sound is completely gone.

Been uncloaking right on peoples heels and not having them hear it. I mean, wow.

Edit: (To clarify, this is with me wearing the entire set of course)

A burning killer's kabuto is ranked as the single most expensive item in the entire game. There is believed to only be 2 in existance.

1 of those just went for nerely 2000 dollars in an online auction.

Wow... people are just a tiny bit obsessed with unusual hats...

Yeef

I was bored at work and was reading SPUF. I thought there were some pretty interesting ideas in this thread to fix the pyro. Mainly, I like the idea of after burn reducing healing and slowing uber charge rate.

Another suggestion I saw in some random thread was to make afterburn have a deafening effect so when someone is on fire all sounds sound muffled. It'd also obscure hit indicators.

I've never been a big fan of the airblast jump, but a lot of people seem to be for it.

Everyone's been saying the flame particles need to be sped up and less random for ages. Don't know why Valve hasn't done it yet.

(._.)

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
A burning killer's kabuto is ranked as the single most expensive item in the entire game. There is believed to only be 2 in existance.

I hope effects are added as paint like drops that you can buy or get in crates.

balladofwindfishes said:

oh the effect, nvm

Spies need to be erased from the game. I died to the same guy about 30 or 40 times in a little over an hour. His name was "P | Mergat"... or mergap or mersomething. I'm just tired of spies.

Worst thing is that when there's a good one on the other team as there was here, then your team will be spy-checking for half the game. One single guy shouldn't completely change the game like this. It's broken. It's like Eve in League of Legends before she got nerfed.

Nikolai13 said:
I think Wartime's definition of awful is a little different than the rest of our definitions of awful

I was 0-9 with like 3 points, I was shit, by anyones standards. I think I am destined to be bad at spy, but oh well.

also... this...

8042DA43ED958F524E3E83ADF95DAD9693C4686D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Heavy said:
Spies need to be erased from the game. I died to the same guy about 30 or 40 times in a little over an hour. His name was "P | Mergat"... or mergap or mersomething. I'm just tired of spies.

Worst thing is that when there's a good one on the other team as there was here, then your team will be spy-checking for half the game. One single guy shouldn't completely change the game like this. It's broken. It's like Eve in League of Legends before she got nerfed.
Learn to turn behind you every 2 seconds even if you are shooting someone far away.
Never trust your team ever.

ggs tonight.

What have I done? I was severely addicted to TF2 for about the first year after it came out, but I haven't played in over two years. Loaded it up today on a whim. Hooked again. So much fun, even though I'm rusty and pretty bad.

Heavy said:
Worst thing is that when there's a good one on the other team as there was here, then your team will be spy-checking for half the game. One single guy shouldn't completely change the game like this.

On GAF server it's annoying/a pain in the ass, when there's 2+ pyros actively spy checking because of you.

When you're destroying a pub server as spy and half their team goes pyro, it's funny as hell!

Edit PS: Also, to hear people accusing everyone else a spy on voice chat is funny as hell too :p

No other class has such a game-changing influence. A good Spy on the enemy team will literally change your entire team's strategy and behavior. Can any other class say that? No. Spy-checking is not a fun mechanic, at all. It's always been my only real complaint about this awesome game.

artist

Banned
Can anyone link me to the guide on these new weapons, hats, crafting blueprints etc.

Been away from TF2 for a while and there's been a sea change now. Got to catch up.

Yeef

Heavy said:
No other class has such a game-changing influence. A good Spy on the enemy team will literally change your entire team's strategy and behavior. Can any other class say that? No. Spy-checking is not a fun mechanic, at all. It's always been my only real complaint about this awesome game.
The same goes for a good Engineer, a good Sniper and a good Demoman.

Like Engineers, the trick to handling spies is good communication. When you're playing on a random pub server where no one talks it makes them dangerous. When you're playing on a server where everyone has mics they are far, far less so.

Yeef said:

Like Engineers, the trick to handling spies is good communication. When you're playing on a random pub server where no one talks it makes them dangerous. When you're playing on a server where everyone has mics they are far, far less so.
Like the GAF server, amirite?

Nikolai13

Neo Member
The fact that everyone talks is what makes the GAF server appealing. Any class can be game changing though, but it depends on how the team operates as a unit. Yes, spy can be frustrating, but it's just part of the game. It's all about being observant. It doesn't hurt to fire a few bullets/rockets/flames at anyone you come by unless you exited spawn with them.

...I like the spy checking mechanic, personally. It forces me to be observant. In all honesty, I'd even say it's balanced against the favor of the spy. Everybody is OCD about spy checking, and we all know the suspicious behaviors of a spy. Disguises are kind of borked, cloaking is really what you need to perfect as a spy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ArtistDude88 said:
On GAF server it's annoying/a pain in the ass, when there's 2+ pyros actively spy checking because of you.

When you're destroying a pub server as spy and half their team goes pyro, it's funny as hell!

Edit PS: Also, to hear people accusing everyone else a spy on voice chat is funny as hell too :p
ARE YOU A SPAH, ARTISTJUNIOR88!?

(._.)

Banned
Heavy said:
Erm, not true. Any class can change how the other team is playing. Not even going to list examples because your last statement was a bit ridiculous. spy is not op, your team was just bad.

I've had this problem for the longest time... basically when I try to alt-tab TF2 (and also Half-Life 2 and I think other Valve games), the game freezes when I try to get back to it. Black screen with just the mouse cursor and the only way out is to ctrl alt del and close the program (says not responding). Any help? Thanks

Javaman

Heavy said:
I've had this problem for the longest time... basically when I try to alt-tab TF2 (and also Half-Life 2 and I think other Valve games), the game freezes when I try to get back to it. Black screen with just the mouse cursor and the only way out is to ctrl alt del and close the program (says not responding). Any help? Thanks

I always just run it in a window, but that doesn't really answer your question.

AcciDante

ArtistDude88 said:

Why, hello there...

commissar

Javaman said:
I always just run it in a window, but that doesn't really answer your question.
Actually it does, I had the same issue, but running it in windowed at native resolution with -noborder added to the command line lets me alt-tab like the alt-tabbing fiend I am.

Also Accidante, you made me look way more awesome there than I have ever actually been in TF2 :D

Cipherr

cooljeanius said:
Like the GAF server, amirite?

Its a moderate example. I play a spy almost exclusively. And anytime I visit the GAF server I am nearly shut out. Everyone on voicechat plus at least 2 Gaffers that will dedicate the entire game to playing pyro and spy checking can make the game impossible to play for me outside of using my revolver from 40 yards away. At which point I may as well play another class.

Javaman

Cipherr said:
Its a moderate example. I play a spy almost exclusively. And anytime I visit the GAF server I am nearly shut out. Everyone on voicechat plus at least 2 Gaffers that will dedicate the entire game to playing pyro and spy checking can make the game impossible to play for me outside of using my revolver from 40 yards away. At which point I may as well play another class.

Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches. I alternate between engineer and medic depending on what the team needs most.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
yeah they are, but I don't see them show up in votes very often. good game again tonight everyone. glad to see a good group again and again and again :D it's refreshing! let's keep it up!

Instro

Yeef said:

Ehh that really depends. When I play spy my goal is to never be seen, if I can make it into your base or behind your lines with my cloak, communication isnt going to stop me from doing some damage. Also its not too difficult to take advantage of people with mics, often times it seems like they cause even more confusion. The mics do help with limiting what the spy can do after detection, but thats about it. Ive never found it significantly more difficult to play spy on a server with lots of mics going, it really comes down to coordination and how diligent your spy checking is.

But as you mentioned there are a couple classes that can be real game changers in the right hands.

Yasae

Banned
Hazaro said:
Learn to turn behind you every 2 seconds even if you are shooting someone far away.
Never trust your team ever.

ggs tonight.
Or make them follow you and then turn around.

Or calculate their position based on respawn times.

Or find their position via kill triangulation.

If they're going to camp like a lazy piece of crap, eh. You wouldn't find them anyway.

Instro

Speaking of spies, I love when theres a really good one on each team. Its like you both kind of know that the other is out there somewhere, so when you cross paths it leads to some really interesting fights.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
killthekampers said:
Just bought this off steam a little while ago. Any beginner tips?

1. Just try and have fun first of all. the game isn't any fun if you don't enjoy it and you'll just get frustrated and fold.
2. you're going to die a lot. that's just self-evident. i die a lot still (not like I'm a pro or anything), but I've put in my fair share of hours in so far. try not to get overly frustrated with how often you die. it's part of the game, and it gets easier with time especially when you're playing with good players which is the only way you'll get better yourself
3. play around with each of the classes. it's really a unique aspect of tf2 that makes it different from other FPS's. see which classes are more to your liking. soldier is usually a pretty good place to start since it's a balanced class just to get your feet under you.
4. For me, learning the maps was a huge part of the learning curve. It definitely took some time to get used to the maps as well as the different game modes (control point, attack/defend, payload, payload race, capture the flag, king of the hill, arena, territorial control).
5. Try and play with friends or get to know people. Having a mic/headset is useful for communicating with players and coordinating so that way you know what's going on.
6. Try not to take it too personally if people rag on you for being a "noob". Some people are a tad too serious particularly for pub servers.

that's a basic layout and I tried not to put you to sleep. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198009343328

There are a lot of good players in this forum that could probably offer better advice than I've already given so you picked a good place to start. Good luck!

Blizzard

Banned
Aww, I missed the train map that everyone hates. :( I like it.

Instro said:
Speaking of spies, I love when theres a really good one on each team. Its like you both kind of know that the other is out there somewhere, so when you cross paths it leads to some really interesting fights.
I like when spies adhere to some unspoken spy code. 24/7 2fort is raging on, I'm cloak and dagger spy uselessly creeping across the side of the bridge while invisible, and suddenly I bump into a crouching creeping cloak and dagger spy on the other team doing the same thing in the opposite direction.

We sit there for a moment, observing our enemy, and yet, somehow -- our friend. Then, like ships in the night, we silently pass onwards in opposite directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom