• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

Heavy said:
how's this score guys lol, only 5-10 mins was from the Heavy, the rest I tried all different classes. Heavy is the only one I can get 1:1 ratio in lol

http://i.imgur.com/CqXln.jpg

Game is impossible. Only reason the score is high is because i was in there for like an hour and a half lol, getting totally ownedddd!

I'd say part of it is not having a medic on the team. a heavy/medic combo is almost automatic points.

Yeef

cooljeanius said:
All right TF2GAF, I'm going to try to give up TF2 for Lent, so I probably won't be seeing you until Easter. I'll be uninstalling the game, but I'd appreciate if I could also be banned from the GAF server until then as well, just in case I get weak and lose my self control.
Nope!

If you join when you're not supposed to I'll just use admin hax on you until you get sick of the game.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
cooljeanius said:
All right TF2GAF, I'm going to try to give up TF2 for Lent, so I probably won't be seeing you until Easter. I'll be uninstalling the game, but I'd appreciate if I could also be banned from the GAF server until then as well, just in case I get weak and lose my self control.

NOOOOOOOOO. Don't do it lol

Hey, I have a question about idling. I saw a "24/7 Idling" server in the list yesterday, so what's the goal of this? You can get item drops just by idling and standing there? Don't you have to play to get them? And I read you have to use a 3rd-party program to idle or it will kick you out. Can you get VAC/TF2 banned for that?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You can't get banned from them, since it isn't a 3rd party program, it is TF2. You simple log in
to the server, it plunks you down on some platform that does a bit of damage every second killing you in about 30 seconds (Though from what I have seen that bit is useless, but eh) and you can just get all your item drops for the week in a single overnight session or such.

Most people who are into TF2 to care enough about getting all your item drops likely play enough in a week to do so anyway, so I am not to sure why they are still so popular since they introduced a cap.

Yeef

Idling servers are pointless now. You can get item drops just by idling in offline practice with 0 bots and you can set up TF2 to run in text-only mode in an offline practice server so that it takes up virtually no resources while you go about your day.

Heavy said:
how's this score guys lol, only 5-10 mins was from the Heavy, the rest I tried all different classes. Heavy is the only one I can get 1:1 ratio in lol
Heavy
264otx2.jpg

Edit: Wow, your avatar is big...

esc said:
I'll remember to send you daily game invites egallager.
I guess I'll just have to not use Steam at all then (I was planning on uninstalling most of my Steam games anyway and removing Steam's icon from my Dock to try to remove the temptation...)

desh

Yeef said:
Idling servers are pointless now. You can get item drops just by idling in offline practice with 0 bots and you can set up TF2 to run in text-only mode in an offline practice server so that it takes up virtually no resources while you go about your day.

I'm thinking about joining Egallager in giving up Tf2 for lent. So, if I give up TF2 for lent, but I do this (I have to get my item drops), does this still count? Actually, I don't think it matters, since it gives you more drops if you've been away for some time.

Yeef

Yeah, the drops you don't get one week roll over to the next week, so skipping one week shouldn't be an issue. Not sure what the maximum amount of rollover is though.

I'll be skipping next week since I'll be in Vegas.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Yeef said:
Yeah, the drops you don't get one week roll over to the next week, so skipping one week shouldn't be an issue. Not sure what the maximum amount of rollover is though.

We will miss you Yeef :(

Javaman

Yeef said:

Bet it all on Red!

Hey guys how long do you stay idle to get an item? Like normally how many hours do you estimate it takes you idling to find something? I've been in an idle server for the past 5 hours and nothing lol

And I'm trying to remember how many items I found this week...I believe 4. The max you can get is 8, right?

Yeef

Heavy said:
Hey guys how long do you stay idle to get an item? Like normally how many hours do you estimate it takes you idling to find something? I've been in an idle server for the past 5 hours and nothing lol

And I'm trying to remember how many items I found this week...I believe 4. The max you can get is 8, right?
You get 6 to 12 items per week, but when you get them is random. It should never take more than like 8 or 9 hours to hit your cap for the week.

It can be buggy though. There was one week where I got nothing but a crate and a Cloak and Dagger.

The item cap resets every Wednesday at around 8pm EST.

Nikolai13

Neo Member
Heavy said:

8 is the Average: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system

If you only found 4, you should be able to find some more at least otherwise that's just really unlucky. Did you try visiting the Mann-Conomy Store because sometimes items get stuck in "limbo" and that's a quick way to retrieve your items

Nikolai13 said:
8 is the Average: http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Item_drop_system

If you only found 4, you should be able to find some more at least otherwise that's just really unlucky. Did you try visiting the Mann-Conomy Store because sometimes items get stuck in "limbo" and that's a quick way to retrieve your items

OMG! I exited the game and reloaded it and I got a message saying I found 11 items lol. Here they are:

Soldier's Stash hat
Amputator
The Jag
Mann crate 7
The ullapool caber
The Equalizer
The Claidheamh mor
The Wrangler
The Backburner
Headless horseman head (he was in the game and we killed him)
Rift claim code (???) Should I use this? does it work even if I dont have the game?

Idling servers are nice when you don't want to play a full 8 hours or so that week, sometimes you just want to do other things. The items do roll over, but if you're away for four weeks and come back, you're probably not going to get four week's worth of items no matter how long you play.

Easiest thing to do is find an idle server that will let you spectate. I generally jump in, mess around and kill someone who's alive, or kill myself through weird means (not necessary, I just like to have some activity logged), then switch to spectate, and go to bed. When I want to check for items without stopping my idling, I just go into the main menu (Esc key), and go to the Mann-Co store, which forces you to receive your drops.

I haven't tried the text-only mode people keep talking about. I know it's built-in to the game so it's legitimate, but after that halo business, I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled a prank on those people eventually too. Idle servers aren't much better, but I feel more comfortable using them I guess.

Kulock said:
Idling servers are nice when you don't want to play a full 8 hours or so that week, sometimes you just want to do other things. The items do roll over, but if you're away for four weeks and come back, you're probably not going to get four week's worth of items no matter how long you play.

Easiest thing to do is find an idle server that will let you spectate. I generally jump in, mess around and kill someone who's alive, or kill myself through weird means (not necessary, I just like to have some activity logged), then switch to spectate, and go to bed. When I want to check for items without stopping my idling, I just go into the main menu (Esc key), and go to the Mann-Co store, which forces you to receive your drops.

I haven't tried the text-only mode people keep talking about. I know it's built-in to the game so it's legitimate, but after that halo business, I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled a prank on those people eventually too. Idle servers aren't much better, but I feel more comfortable using them I guess.

Hey, how many times do the items rollover? I just started playing TF2 again after many months of not playing

Oreoleo

Heavy said:
Rift claim code (???) Should I use this? does it work even if I dont have the game?

That's actually for a hat you get in the game Rift. If you don't plan to ever buy/play it, it is worthless.

Yeef

Clydefrog said:
Pfft, idlers. Just play the game and don't worry about "maxing" your item count.
Tell that to Valve. While agree that the people with tons of accounts that sandbox idle accounts are ridiculous, not being able to use certain weapons because you don't have enough materials to craft them is annoying. Considering that the last two weapons released take about 3 weeks worth of items to craft and each polycount set takes about 10 weeks worth of items it seems silly to me not to try to max out your drops.

That said, most people who play play enough that they'll easily hit their cap normally. I generally will only idle if I know I'm not going to have much time for TF2 that week.

Yeef

SO, since I'm going to be in Vegas all next week and Remy's going to be away at PAX East we've decided to add a bunch of new admins to the server:

ArtistDude
n0b
Doug Welder
DrKirby
Commisar Bacon
Toxic
Wartime
Twig

Blizzard, Javaman and Neroh were already admins even if they pretended they weren't!

So, bind something to sm_admin and lay the smackdown.

So you can buy tf2 on another Steam account and open both steam accs at the same time and load up tf2 at the same time and idle both in the same game or do you mean 2 different computers?

Yeef said:
SO, since I'm going to be in Vegas all next week and Remy's going to be away at PAX East we've decided to add a bunch of new admins to the server:

ArtistDude
n0b
Doug Welder
DrKirby
Commisar Bacon
Toxic
Wartime
Twig

Blizzard, Javaman and Neroh were already admins even if they pretended they weren't!

Good choices, I was always complaining that we needed more admins!

commissar

Yeef said:

ArtistDude
n0b
Doug Welder
DrKirby
Commisar Bacon
Toxic
Wartime
Twig

Oh god, social responsibility.
Thanks I guess :U

Also on a somewhat related note, Heavy you might want to resize that avatar of yours before a mod notices it's larger than the size limit & gives you a rubbish text based avatar :)

INFO HERE: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117729

yeoz

Some interesting changes in the tf2 beta:
--- March 09, 2011 ---
An Important Note:
Generally the beta is the place where we do design testing, so the game itself is fairly stable. But today we’re releasing a large update specifically for the purpose of stability testing. In particular, we’re testing out our new Replay system, which has been in the works for over a year. As a result, a large amount of code has changed. We wanted to ship it to the beta first, where we can get the bugs ironed out, before we move it out to the main TF2 branch. So please jump in and take a look – we’d love to hear feedback on the UI as well as any bugs you run into.

Also, we'll be wiping all items in the beta at some point in the near future. We will re-grant the achievement items, and any items we're actively tuning afterward.

Gameplay:

Bots: Bots now work on Payload maps
Added payload to Offline practice
Spy bots!

Medic: The Quick-Fix:
Megaheal (the uber) effect now also applies to the medic

Pyro: The Detonator:
Detonation particle effect increased to better match the radius

Soldier:
Reduced rage generation rate with Battalion’s Backup by 50%

Spy:
Fixed a bug that prevented domination lines from being played with the Eternal Reward

Maps:
Added koth_badlands

General:
Added Replay system that allows you to edit and publish movies of your play experiences (full Mac support in the next few days)
Added in-game Coaching system
Added in-game Voting system
Added training for the Demoman, Spy and Engineer

Temporarily enabled crafting and trading
Synced with changes from the official releases

Heavy said:
Holy crap! That's an epic update

No kidding, it's pretty much answering everything I'd been wondering about lately, including the Replay system. I'm kind of curious what the Coaching system is, I have my guesses, but that's all.

killthekampers

Neo Member
Playing this is the most fun I've had playing a game in quite a while, even though I'm not very good. My ingame name is DanH so say whatsup if you see me.

snack

Added Replay system that allows you to edit and publish movies of your play experiences (full Mac support in the next few days)!!!

HYPE

corn_fest

I just crafted all my beta weapons into a flipped trilby and got a gentleman's gatsby from someone's pile of gifts. Beta hats are awesome. Reminds me of when hats were actually rare.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
So Protip for Heavy (aka Montgomery): it was pretty easy to pick out which heavy you were because you were always out in the middle of no man's land with no one around you. Yes you're a giant ham-man with a giant gun, but you're not invincible. Try and stick with the team a little more, or surprise people around corners. This should help you with your dying all the time problem.

Oreoleo

Borgnine said:
So Protip for Heavy (aka Montgomery):

:lol His name did seem to come up on my death-ticker quite often.
e: oh god new page what have i done

social-stuff-on-weekends-tf2-is-social-rite.jpg

NeoGAF server IP: 174.143.208.222:27015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom