• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
9jgnf4.jpg

Gee, I wonder when replays will be enabled on GAF server, 'cause it sure is boring around here!

Zel3

I have a vintage version of this hat and I'm wondering how much I could get for it. Any sites where I can get an idea or maybe someone here on gaf who is experienced in trading. :[

95px-RED_Prussian_pickelhaube.png

level 98 don't know if that really matters

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Jzero15 said:
I'm having even more major problems with TF2, every time i try to join a server hl.exe crashes -_-

The replay patch fixed my crashes, but now this latest patch is causing me to crash again. sigh

Yeef

So I've enabled replays on the GAF server and gotten it all working properly. Increasing the upload interval from once every 15 seconds (default) to once every 60 seconds (max) has helped, but it's still jankier than it is with no replays.

I made a quick video so you can see what it's like. You'll notice a few times where the game stutters. It's certainly playable and nowhere near as bad as it was that first night. It is the smallest map on the server with a single player though. We'll see how it does with a full server and go from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LlsRg1bS-w

Yeef said:
So I've enabled replays on the GAF server and gotten it all working properly. Increasing the upload interval from once every 15 seconds (default) to once every 60 seconds (max) has helped, but it's still jankier than it is with no replays.

I made a quick video so you can see what it's like. You'll notice a few times where the game stutters. It's certainly playable and nowhere near as bad as it was that first night. It is the smallest map on the server with a single player though. We'll see how it does with a full server and go from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LlsRg1bS-w
Great, can't wait to try it out once I get back home!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I gave it a shot and it kinda worked, not sure if it was my system or connection but the video was pretty laggy, the game was still running around 80FPS so might be my connection.

Inkwell

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
No one told me you needed QuickTime to export replays. BAH. I hate having QT on my computer.
I'm pretty sure I read something on the official forums about being able to use quicktime alternative.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ArtistDude88 said:
No one told me you needed QuickTime to export replays. BAH. I hate having QT on my computer.
Yeah, like others have said, you just need something that can play quick time files, not quick time its self.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Baha said:
Has your vid hit 1k views yet Kirby?
Nope :(

You? Any things to do to get hits? I am not to worried about the videos I put up yet, since so far nothing to great has been put up.

Baha

Drkirby said:
Nope :(

You? Any things to do to get hits? I am not to worried about the videos I put up yet, since so far nothing to great has been put up.

I'm in frozen views hell atm. Still trying to get more views by commenting/liking other people's videos.

Yeef

So Artistdude, Crushed, Auruarian and I were messing around on the server and the game was ultra janky. Therefore, I have disabled replays.

Inkwell

Banned
Yeef said:
So Artistdude, Crushed, Auruarian and I were messing around on the server and the game was ultra janky. Therefore, I have disabled replays.
I just went on a little bit ago to test it out, only to find it was already disabled. Do you have the replays set up to save somewhere else besides the server machine?

Hey guys, I joined the TF2 Neogaf group, and I've played on the Neogaf server a few times. But, I need to add more of you to my friends list. I need more TF2 playing friends. I'm just starting to get back into the game after getting it over a year ago.

Steam ID: sog_inferno.

Thanks!

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Inkwell said:
So, here's my first test video anyway. Maybe I can get lucky and get 100 views on it.

Should have done a spinning video, you'd have 100 views just from me.

Yeef

Inkwell said:
I just went on a little bit ago to test it out, only to find it was already disabled. Do you have the replays set up to save somewhere else besides the server machine?
Yes.

I'm fairly certain the issue is the server itself, not the replays. Even without replays the server has been pretty janky for the last month or so. Replays just make it even worse.

Remy

So as I suspected last night, a patch come out and the server DIDN'T prompt us to update it. Weird stuff, Valve.

Most notably:

- Replay publishing system will try to do a rename for local HTTP mode but will manually copy and delete the file if the rename fails, which can happen if the source and destination are on different volumes.
- Fixed threading issues on Linux, which was causing major lag spikes.
- Fixed replay data cleanup system, which cleans up stale data at the end of each round. This asynchronous operation can be explicitly invoked by executing a replay_docleanup command on the server.
- Removed unused convar, replay_cleanup_time.
- Saxxy fanfare music wasn't playing on music channel. Music will only play once per launch now and will not play on a changelevel

In any case, it's been updated.

Also, I have a longer term plan for the jankiness, but Yeef and I are having problems finding each other. We will keep trying, in the name of science^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hhats.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
QuantumBro said:
If you have firefox get the reload every plugin and set it up to reload your video every 5 seconds. Takes a while but you'll get it.
I think I am just going to bind keys to make Demos, and make a demo of each round (To cut down on issues of long demos), then make a replay out of the demos.

Forkball

So I got the Fez today and man, the Saharan Spy set is a lot of fun. People are completely oblivious to you with the Dead Ringer sound quieted. Obviously it's not that great for sentries, but it's definitely a fun way to play spy and to troll people.

Anony

so is it updated now?
i dont see the server on my list anymore

would have been great if it was updated last night, i had 10 backstabs in one life

Yeef

New update just went out, both servers updated.

Also, anyone who wants to help me stress test potential new server add 216.6.224.225:27015 to your favorites and join!

Ceebs

The Pyro hoodie just got added to the craft table, so if you are feeling lucky you can try for a shot at one of the first 100.

Potential new server?! Awwww snap!

Ran great on my end for the little bit I played... Especially comparing to today's earlier goofing around with replays enabled on 2.0

Remy

Technosteve said:
Are you guys running the server out of a home or you guys renting one? Is it a hardware issue?

Here is the medium-length version of the story:

NeoGAF Janky-Ass Server 2.0 is running on a comped VM that I have access to via a friend. There's nothing else on this particular VM, but the hardware it is on may be oversubscribed, and I'm not exactly in a position to be making demands about MORE MORE MORE. I mean, it's free, and for free it did us pretty well for the last 6 months or so.

That said, the comp is running out sometime over the next year, and since we have some motivation because of the jank, I started looking at pay-for GSPs. I managed to find one that didn't have ridiculous per-seat charges, had full FTP access, and best of all lets you spin up a 3-day trial server to make sure it's what you want. So Yeef spun 3.0 up to make sure he could match the configuration and that performance was okay. Should the word come back positive (and my play session a few hours ago indicated that things were looking decent), I'll throw in to get the server paid for and we'll move everything over (along with the domain name we've been using, which belongs to the friend mentioned above).

So that's where we stand.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Remy: Oh, everybody is going to new servers these days, tsk. Seems nobody wants to hang out in a jank server no more.
GAF: You ain’t thinking of getting rid of the jank, are you, Remy?
Remy: Ehh, maybe I am.
GAF: Oh, but Remy: the jank. The jank!

Lol Borg. We'll have to find a server plugin to manually add jank to the server. Actually, come to think of it, Javaman might have some scripts....

Remy

Like The Honorable Javaman before me, I won't ask for nor take donations. It's not a bank-breaking amount.

And in light of Borgnine's comment, I may name the server "NeoGAF's Family Feedbag".

Yeef

Ow, my freakin' ears!

[edit] By that I mean, we should try to get sourcemod working before the trial ends just to make sure we can.

And I'm pretty sure it's a 5 day trial, not a 3-day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom