• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeroSauce

derFeef said:
I am going to ask this for a friend, would be nice if anyone can help us out with that.

He wanted to give TF2 a shot again, so he tried reinstalling it. But everytime the "pre-install" is at 100%, Steam crashes. It does not finish the install and the download never starts. He tried everything (Antivirus, network etc.), but nothing seems to help and he can do it with any other game just fine. Anyone encountered this problem before?

Verify cache and/or defrag? Steam related issues can usually be fixed by that.

derFeef

Rapstah said:
You could try copying your "steam/steamapps/accountname/team fortress 2" folder and sending it to him to paste in his account folder. I think the pre-install step is mostly creating that folder and it doesn't actually contain any game content.
He tried a backup and I send him the steamapps folder - the same effect. The game is not installed and Steam crashes when its allocating the files. Really weird and only with TF2.

XeroSauce said:
Verify cache and/or defrag? Steam related issues can usually be fixed by that.
Its not installed, so he can not verify it.

Re-installing Steam also did not help btw. He is frustrated and I am out of ideas as well - we are both no idiots when it comes to PC stuff, but we are scratching our head.

Twig

Banned
Since the Steam thread is full of unhelpful idiots - why can't I have more than 100 TF2 videos attached to my Steam account? I already have more than 100 from TF2 alone, pre-replays. ):

Also now I wish I hadn't deleted all my old demo files (assuming the new replay feature works with them). There were quite a few things I would have loved to change the camera angle on, but could never figure out how.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
What the crap, where's my 100 views achievement!? I've got over 500 on one of them.
gogogo 1000

Borgnine said:
What the crap, where's my 100 views achievement!? I've got over 500 on one of them.
gogogo 1000
Don't you have to go to the saved movies and click watch on youtube to get the achievement?

Borgnine

Sgt.Pepper said:
Don't you have to go to the saved movies and click watch on youtube to get the achievement?

You mean they have to be viewed through someone's steam profile? Why would anyone ever do that....

Borgnine said:
You mean they have to be viewed through someone's steam profile? Why would anyone ever do that....
No, I mean through the replay menu in TF2. I haven't gotten nowhere close to 100 views, but I heard you have to click "watch on youtube" after it goes over X views.

In the saved movies thing.

Borgnine

Sgt.Pepper said:
No, I mean through the replay menu in TF2. I haven't gotten nowhere close to 100 views, but I heard you have to click "watch on youtube" after it goes over X views.

In the saved movies thing.

Ohhhhhhhh, I'll try that tonight.

Oreoleo

There isn't a way to do slo-mo with the replays is there? The controls for editing are pretty intuitive (aside from not being able to rewind). I could see myself really getting into editing if it were all fleshed out a little more.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Orellio said:
There isn't a way to do slo-mo with the replays is there? The controls for editing are pretty intuitive (aside from not being able to rewind). I could see myself really getting into editing if it were all fleshed out a little more.

I'm sure you can take a render and muck with the framerate at points. Half the framerate = half the speed. Wouldn't look as good, but it'd do the job.

Inkwell

Banned
Orellio said:
I don't think there's a way right now, but it seems like a highly requested feature. There's a few more things I wouldn't mind being added in. Maybe the ability to add some text or audio, or splice together a few different takes. I know some things could be added in with another program after you render the video, but it would be really nice to just be able to do it directly from within the editor.

Slow-mo would be awesome! And maybe some filter effects, transitions, and text for those of us who don't have a sweet video editor program. Windows Movie Maker for TF2! ... That exports in QuickTime!

Lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The replay editor is screwing up on me, it isn't saving any of my free camera shots. Do I have to play the video real time for them to save?

Also, it is slightly annoying rag dolls don't land the same way every time.

Borgnine

Drkirby said:
The replay editor is screwing up on me, it isn't saving any of my free camera shots. Do I have to play the video real time for them to save?

Yeah you have to set up the shot and then let it play through, you'll notice a blinking red record light in the upper right.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, after much painstaking editing, now to render my fairly poor 31 second video of a spy and some Pyros Battling.

What is the best way to edit in some music?

View count should be combined IMO, if only to actually make it easier.

Edit: Yay, the video screwed up, now I get to render it again!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
ArtistDude88 said:
Slow-mo would be awesome! And maybe some filter effects, transitions, and text for those of us who don't have a sweet video editor program. Windows Movie Maker for TF2! ... That exports in QuickTime!

Lol

Why bother playing that thar FPS game included with TF2?

Let's just trade and make movies!

Dug

Banned
Twig said:
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2

Added a “Show in Backpack Order” setting to the loadout slot select screen
This flag also affects the Quickswitch dialog
Updated the Furious Fukaamigasa, the Hero's Hachimaki and the Connoisseur's Cap to be craftable
Updated the localization files
Replay
Added a new command line parameter “-replay” that will increase maxplayers by 1 at startup and automatically execute replay.cfg for the server
Fixed another bug that caused Mac replay renders to be blurry
Fixed a bug where Replay FTP offloading was not using "replay_fileserver_offload_port"
Improved detection of Replay server config problems
Replay is automatically disabled on servers if the Replay publish test fails
Saved Replay movies that were exported as TGA's/WAV will report more descriptive errors if YouTube(TM) upload or "Export" is attempted

I guess one of these were your problems?

I meant the Steam Client update.

Steam client update released
Client Update - Valve
A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Steam
Fix browser cookies not persisting across Steam client restarts
Windows - Fix rendering of select boxes in web control being broken
Mac OSX - Improved mouse scroll for trackpads/magic mouse
Mac OSX - Improved Lion support
Fix bug in local-file validation that affected some games
Change Steam to not initialize the microphone output device when voice is used in Team Fortress 2
Mostly the last two.

I was looking at the Saxxy rules to check the deadline, and I'm a little disappointed. I thought the point was to try to make the replays pretty much in the editor, but the rules allow all sorts of post-processing effects, editing outside the built-in editor, and public domain content. So while I'm sure some pure replays will win, it's going to be hard to compete with the people who are already used to piling on the After Effects.

Sgt.Pepper said:
More goddamn demo melee weapons. Are they gonna name him meleeman next?
Except that's a Scout weapon

Three wolves and a moon!
"TF_ScoutSword" "Three-Rune Blade"
"TF_ScoutHair" "Hero's Tail"
"TF_ScoutHair_Desc" "Possibly the result of pigmentation loss due to horrible experiments. Possibly a mop of some kind."
"TF_ScoutMedallion" "Sign of the Wolf's School"
"TF_ScoutMedallion_Desc" "One wolf, no moon. Collect all three!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom