• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT2| Free 2 Play Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh damn it Valve.

And what's worse is that I'm going to have to cave. Not that I didn't want Witcher 2, but I haven't played Witcher 1 yet. I've yet to Witch.

DarkKyo

Dug said:
Would be great with some awesome music.
I know! I'd add some great music but it's impossible to find public domain music that's actually good... (unless anyone here has a good source?)

And the Saxxy awards require public domain music if you use any.

ArtistDude88 said:
So much bloooooood!
I have the extreme blood mod on, I thought it would fit the action...

Kulock said:
I like how at the end it's like he goes, "...Takin' it easy."
What's interesting about deaths and the replay feature is that a death will look completely different every time you render it. It's calculated over and over again so every time you watch the replay in the viewer or every time you render it, the way he falls and bounces around will appear different. In one view I cut the scouts head off and he had the beheading animation.. in another, I cut it off and his body was knocked to the side. It's pretty cool.

It's almost worth re-rendering the same clip over and over again to get the exact death scenes you are pleased with.

rmt92

So uhm, I've been wanting to get into PC gaming for a while and just recently gotten a computer that can run anything. TF2 has always looked like a lot of fun and I know the best way to get better at anything is experience but anytime I jump into a game I feel like I have no idea what I am doing.

Is there a good set of videos or a "best" way of learning to play the game?

DarkKyo

rmt92 said:
So uhm, I've been wanting to get into PC gaming for a while and just recently gotten a computer that can run anything. TF2 has always looked like a lot of fun and I know the best way to get better at anything is experience but anytime I jump into a game I feel like I have no idea what I am doing.

There's actually an in-game coaching system now. I don't know much about it but you basically are set up with a coach... might wanna look into that. Besides that just pick a class that interests you, read up on it and its weapons, and go experiment! There are a bunch of ways to play each class... so much so that I'm still learning weapon combos and I'm a pretty hardcore player.

Any class interest you yet? I'm sure people here can give you some strategy advice.

rmt92 said:

Play medic, watch how people play, learn the maps, and enjoy. TF2 community is pretty laid back, except for that one douche.

NEVER stand still has a medic, turn around and jump a lot, there's probably a spy there; watch for dots on the walls (RED if you're BLU and viceversa) that means a Sniper is aiming there. You will learn as you play.

rmt92

Dechaios said:
There's actually an in-game coaching system now. I don't know much about it but you basically are set up with a coach... might wanna look into that. Besides that just pick a class that interests you, read up on it and its weapons, and go experiment! There are a bunch of ways to play each class... so much so that I'm still learning weapon combos and I'm a pretty hardcore player.

Any class interest you yet? I'm sure people here can give you some strategy advice.

I've always had interest in support classes on most games, should I join pretty much any server to jump into the action or is there any recommendations? Remember I have pretty much no experience with PC gaming lol

Ceebs

rmt92 said:

Play on the GAF server. Just pay attention to what others are doing and how the maps/modes flow. You will probably suck for a bit but it will start to click. As as added bonus, not only do people actually play properly on the server (most of the time) you will get better playing on that server since there are some very good players.

I personally do not think medic is a great beginner class. Something like Soldier or Pyro are better options IMO. (I would say Heavy, but you are slow and it can be frustrating if you do not know the usual sniper spots or to watch for spies.)

Dug

Banned
Sgt.Pepper said:
NEVER stand still has a medic, turn around and jump a lot, there's probably a spy there; watch for dots on the walls (RED if you're BLU and viceversa) that means a Sniper is aiming there. You will learn as you play.
You know, I would actually play medic a lot more but I'm always afraid that I will mess up and get raged at.

rmt92

Ceebs said:
Play on the GAF server. Just pay attention to what others are doing and how the maps/modes flow. You will probably suck for a bit but it will start to click. As as added bonus, not only do people actually play properly on the server (most of the time) you will get better playing on that server since there are some very good players.

I personally do not think medic is a great beginner class. Something like Soldier or Pyro are better options IMO. (I would say Heavy, but you are slow and it can be frustrating if you do not know the usual sniper spots or to watch for spies.)

Hmm.. I guess I'll just have to test the waters then.

The game has training mode + offline with bots, but I can't really recommend them. Just play on good servers like GAF's.

Go play Medic. Everyone will love you and it's hard to mess up as one. Watch what people do, and listen to what they say. If you're healing a good player, listen to what he tells you to do (like, "go uber now" or "run away"). A Medic's life is more important than any other class, so if you have to do it, just run away and save yourself.

Grimm Fandango said:
Wonder how much Valve makes for each set of promo items (that is, how much a publisher pays for Valve to make them). Valve must be raking it in.
Yeah . . . I wonder. Especially for games like that poker game which came with 5 items . . . it was cheaper to buy the poker game than to buy 5 items in he Mann store.

And the poker game was good!

(._.)

Banned
You should just play the game. Join the GAF server a couple nights then once you feel like you get the game join some of the really good tf2 servers up in the game. Freefrag, nemu and sourceop have some of the best pubs. have a couple other in my favs too .

Ceebs

I should also mention that playing on the GAF server ruins most pubs. It feels like you are playing a different game at times.

speculawyer said:
Yeah . . . I wonder. Especially for games like that poker game which came with 5 items . . . it was cheaper to buy the poker game than to buy 5 items in he Mann store.

Well if it keeps up the maps and updates, and if everything can be available via drop, I'm fine with it.

Wish Valve would spread the love to other classes more often. Hasn't the Sniper yet to have a promo hat?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
speculawyer said:

You couldn't buy the Items in Mann Co. Personally, I think they don't have to pay a dime.

Drkirby said:
You couldn't buy the Items in Mann Co. Personally, I think they don't have to pay a dime.
Yeah, I meant you couldn't buy 5 comparable items for the price of that game. The fact that you couldn't buy those items made them even more valuable.

Valve must be charging something . . . if not, everyone would do it.

And it does have value . . . look how much those Max bunny ears are worth!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
speculawyer said:
Yeah, I meant you couldn't buy 5 comparable items for the price of that game. The fact that you couldn't buy those items made them even more valuable.

I think Valve just wants Steamworks integration and they will allow for some items.

DarkKyo

speculawyer said:

Poker Night is worth it alone for the Demoman glasses.... oh also Poker Night is a pretty cool game in itself. :)

Forkball

Oh snap at those Witcher items. I was thinking the other day that I hope there's not Witcher items for TF2 because I'm holding off on Witcher 2 until I build my new computer. But I think TF2 is trying to shift towards making promo items obtainable in the game, with the "Genuine" rarity given to the items for those who preordered. But I think they kinda ruined it by giving those items to the Scout. Hair should be for the Heavy, Sword for Demo, and Medallion for the Scout.

Also I saw that a lot of my friends were playing TF2 now, but the GAF server is empty. I am disappoint.

DarkKyo

Forkball said:
Oh snap at those Witcher items. I was thinking the other day that I hope there's not Witcher items for TF2 because I'm holding off on Witcher 2 until I build my new computer. But I think TF2 is trying to shift towards making promo items obtainable in the game, with the "Genuine" rarity given to the items for those who preordered. But I think they kinda ruined it by giving those items to the Scout. Hair should be for the Heavy, Sword for Demo, and Medallion for the Scout.

Also I saw that a lot of my friends were playing TF2 now, but the GAF server is empty. I am disappoint.
You're right, Demoman doesn't have enough blade weapons.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wolf Akela said:
The game has training mode + offline with bots, but I can't really recommend them. Just play on good servers like GAF's.

Go play Medic. Everyone will love you and it's hard to mess up as one. Watch what people do, and listen to what they say. If you're healing a good player, listen to what he tells you to do (like, "go uber now" or "run away"). A Medic's life is more important than any other class, so if you have to do it, just run away and save yourself.

Was just playing on the GG server. Goddamn medic...Kept yelling at him to take the big health pack on Steel, but he refused...had like 5 health. So he FINALLY does it when his life is half, and then he ubers...a solly to take out a sentry gun (I was a demo...) >_<

@Sgt. Pepper - I'll have you know, douches are needed! :mad:

Honestly, just join and 'let people know' at least so they can level their own expectations. But yes, go medic, watch what others are doing, see how engies set up, watch how sollys rocket jump, observe how demomen throw stickies and right click right away, etc etc etc.

ABOVE ALL! SHOOT OR HIT YOUR OWN TEAMMATES WITH MELEE WEAPONS! Spies disguise as your team, and you're not penalized for attacking, but bastards like .Artistdude88 feast on n00b meat.

rmt92

Q: Is the server in the second post the one that is played at? It says player count is 0 and when I try to join it says it runs on an older version of the game

rmt92 said:
Q: Is the server in the second post the one that is played at? It says player count is 0 and when I try to join it says it runs on an older version of the game
That is the 2.0 server.

There is a GAF Janky Server 3.0

And the 3.0 server is very nice I must say . . . no jank, very smooth.

rar

rmt92 said:

dont be a pansy who plays pyro, heavy, or engi all day. play scout and learn to aim

fov_desired "90"
viewmodel_fov "90"
m_rawinput "1"
m_customaccel "0"
m_mouseaccel1 "0"
m_mouseaccel2 "0"
crosshair "1"
cl_crosshair_file "crosshair7"
cl_crosshair_scale "33"
cl_crosshair_red "0"
cl_crosshair_green "255"
cl_crosshair_blue "255"
cl_hud_minmode "1"
cl_use_tournament_specgui "1"
cl_autoreload "1"
hud_medichealtargetmarker "1"
hud_medicautocallers "1"
hud_medicautocallersthreshold "20"
hud_combattext "1"

-noborder -windowed -novid -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemsp

http://code.google.com/p/communitytf2hud/

rmt92 said:

Just play or look stuff up on the TF2 wiki if you're confused. That's how I started (I've only played for like a month)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, not sure if my current video will be very good, but it is going to be pretty long, about 3:30. Got the start and end spots chosen, and the song I am going to put it too, now to just edit all the angles to have more action on the screen. Likely will be done sometime late tonight.

Thoraxes

Twig said:
He means this.
MlItZ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom